Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated June 27, 2017

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 22 reviews)

• Tobacco industry, management can be overbearing for a simplified job description (in 21 reviews)

1. "New employee - experineced contributor"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The general atmosphere at the Winston Salem locations is amazing. Employees and contractors are highly professional, very friendly and in the atmosphere is comfortable as a result. There is a lot of emphasis on personal / professional growth, connecting to the products/people/company and inclusivity. The spectrum of talent and diversity is amazing.

Cons

The highly regulated nature of the business can be limiting but so far my impression is that this managed very well by the leadership team.

Advice to Management

The open door policy is great! Keeping employees comfortable on a physical and emotional level is key to productivity and engagement.

2. "RJR Values their people"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

excellent work life balance
    Challenging and interesting work
    RJR has a work hard play hard culture
    Made life long friends through RJR
    RJR values their people above all else. You don't feel like just a number in corporate America. They are constantly rewarding employees and reevaluating processes and procedures to make things better for everyone

Cons

things are always changing. whether it be RJR or the tobacco industry itself. This isn't necessarily bad but it can get overwhelming.
    promotion possibilities are vague and upper management isn't very transparent about these possibilities

Advice to Management

There needs to be a better process in place to keep and develop talent.
    Hiring process needs to be reevaluated. Moving people across the country for their first real job doesn't usually work out. Most people I know that have left the company was due to geography and not dissatisfaction with the job.

3. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Work hard, have fun and make a difference. Pay and benefits are fantastic. Strong leaders in management and a compelling vision equates to a successful company.

Cons

I have no complaints about the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

4. "Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Territory Manager II in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The employee who recruited me always told me, "You're the CEO of your territory." It couldn't be more true. There are expectations, but the challenge is still as big as you want to make it. You guide your own growth and the sky is the limit. It's an organization full of very sharp and capable individuals and you cannot beat the culture.

Cons

It's not a job for people who need to work with a team everyday. You spend a lot of time on your own and you'll have to have a good business acumen to make good decisions by yourself.

Advice to Management

Should work more with employees to give them clearer direction and/or confidence and reinforcement that the right decisions are being made.

5. "Senior Division Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Melville, NY

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

- Great Company to Work for with Unlimited learning/ Talent Development Opportunities.
    - Embraces Coaching Culture for High Performances.
    - A True Model for Employee Diversification.
    - At the Forefront of Innovative Product Line.

Cons

- Constantly Challenged By Restrictions.
    - Opportunity to Simplify Talent Management process.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace coaching culture... Keep focusing on developing Talent of the team and more importantly, continue to adapt to new ways of thinking.

6. "Caring Company"

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in Hamilton, OH
    Current Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in Hamilton, OH

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for our current leaders for 21 years. First w/ Brown and Williamson and now the RJReynolds.
    Our management team cares about our well being and our families and gives us ample time to manage both.
    They make smart decisions that assist in making us successful and happy.

Cons

It is an ever changing environment due to government restrictions etc so we are constantly adapting. I like change and am bored easily so I find it a good challenge while others may not.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing. Great job!!!

7. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Reynolds American (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vibrant culture with great employees. Relevant and interesting research. Opportunities to engage with cross-functional and cross Op-Co. Fast paced. Centered on employee growth and opportunities. Flexible work hours with remote access capabilities. No two days are the same. Change is constant. "Boredom" is not a word that is ever used.

Cons

Challenging deadlines and changing priorities can be a bit stressful. Not enough time for planning; we are very reactionary.

8. "Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Reynolds American (More than 10 years)

Pros

Its been a great company to work for over the past 21 years. I have worked with a lot of good managers over the years that have been caring and compassionate people. The company provides you all the tools necessary to succeed. You have the opportunity to move up with the company if that is your goal.

Cons

I can honestly say the pros out weigh the cons. Every job has its cons. At RJ Reynolds they are always looking at ways to make the job better. I believe they are sincere in trying to make employees work/personal life as best they can.

9. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Plant Service Attendant in Oxford, NC
    Current Employee - Plant Service Attendant in Oxford, NC

Pros

great benefits, competitive pay, great opportunity for job advancement, friendly people.

Cons

I love the company I work for... but its about 1hr 10min away, but its worth the drive.

10. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. High performance culture with dedicated, talented, passionate employees working to reduce the harm from cigarettes and Transform Tobacco.

Cons

Controversial industry subject to ongoing undeserved criticism.