Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated October 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 27 reviews)

• Stigma attached to the tobacco industry (in 24 reviews)

""Who's your DM?""

Pros

>Great sales training
    >Learning something new everyday
    >Company has no problem spending

Cons

>Everything is a weekly firedrill
    >Reactivate to competition...throws of planning
    >Snitch culture

Advice to Management

None the industry is dying.

2. "Overall good place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Reynolds American (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay, Great benefits (matching 401K 6%, company car with everything taken care of, great training, flexible) good exposure

Cons

To be blunt, Reynolds focuses on promoting diversity candidates who may be unqualified - which can lead to poor upper management credibility.

"Territory Manager I =Got Stress?"

Former Employee - Territory Manager I
    Former Employee - Territory Manager I

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Car for personal Use
    - Decent place to start career
    - Training Seminars Are very good
    - Not a bad company for the CPG industry
    - insurance is great

Cons

- Stress is unvelievablel for territory managers... more and more tasks for the same pay? Come on...be serious.
    - CE's are out of control with expectations.. it's become kind of a joke now and part of the reason I left.
    - The moving around to get promoted thing is outdated guys... people will just leave and find a better job.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Look at these reviews and how they are trending.. I am a small example of more to come... I left and found a higher paying job with 1/8 the stress and without the unrealistic workload and didn't have to change my entire life to do it.

Also... stop calling yourself a sales company when you launch >5 brands in a year.... it's all tasks... not sales.. sales pays commissions and doesn't revolve around a room where people talk about cool stuff ya did last year and rate you.

"Identity Crisis"

Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company not Afraid to spend money (on brand launches and pieces of advertising updates)

401k gets a match with phone and internet basic allowances

Cons

What happened? The field is overworked and home office knows it... its very sad what this company has become over the past 2 years... even some academic papers could be wrote on the failure.

High turnover is now part of the business model... with mundane endless brand launches and the company has an identity crisis... (what are we now? Coke or Pepsi)

At what point will REAL change happen with a field pay structure change? And this time let's not have the government have to come in and "recommend" a base pay increase like it happened awhile back for tm1 new hires.... (let that sink in)

Advice to Management

The business model has changed.. the field knows it and 95% honestly hate it now (and I don't like to use that word).

"Idiots... I Was Surrounded by Idiots"

Former Employee - Territory Manager III (Succession Candidate) in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III (Succession Candidate) in Portland, OR

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Work Life Balance: You can sleep in until 11:00 am go to some accounts then be home at 3:00 pm and still receive a high bonus and viewed as management material.

-Benefits: Company car, great 401k, excellent time off, solid medical/dental and lots of other perks

-Easiest Job You Will Ever Have: It's not a sales job that has a quota nor are you held accountable for your territories growth. At the end of the year your bonus and salary increase is based on how management felt you contributed to the company which is completely subjective.

-Great for Gaining Outside Sales Experience: The company is well known and has a history of growth in a declining industry you can leverage this so you can go and find a great job elsewhere.

Cons

-Management and Culture: RAI has a very robotic response for everything. If you ask a question they answer with a question. The people who are promoted have to fit a specific mold and are not very intelligent. The best way to describe working at RAI was similar to playing basketball with mentally handicapped kids. You are frustrated with them because they keep traveling and double dribbling but you have to let it go because it makes them happy.

-Promotions are Limited: First you need to have very open mobility, then you need to buy into the robot culture and finally you have to be liked by all of management. Who your DM is makes a huge difference.

-Constant Complaining: Everyone seems to feel the job is stressful and extremely difficult yet they fail to realize they have been complaining on the phone for an hour and didn't get into the field until noon.

-Under Paid: Not for what you do (see above comments) but verses your competition. The capped annual base salary, which takes several years and multiple promotions to reach, is less than Altria's starting salary.

-So much more but I don't want to keep going

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice for upper management because the company is doing well and continues to grow it just sucks working there.

"Territory manager 3"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

What most have said-good perks and salary, especially after a few years.

Cons

Consumer engagements are getting out of control. Ce's are when you engage consumers buying a tobacco product in an attempt to get them to try one of yours by selling them on it and then discounting it through a coupon. CE's were once my favorite part of the job! It was a way to chat with customers and break away from the mundane executional responsibilities. In addition, I believe in most of our products and enjoyed providing customers with a better product while making a tangible sale. Now, I have prayed to every God and cult leader that our ability to perform CE's will be revoked so that I can get back to work.

Imagine your favorite thing about your job. Then imagine your boss becomes completely obsessed with that thing and humps your leg 8 hours a day trying to get you to do it more, and more, and more. Your love of that thing would turn to loathing. The goal is 1000 coupons per TM. Most managers and directors are pushing everyone to double it through fake smiles and forced enthusiasm. Why? So directors have bragging rights? 1000 is MORE than enough. It's sickening. To boot, most of management is baffled that these pushes are causing bad behaviors by tm's to inflate their numbers. The Houston region might as well be renamed "perfunctory ce contest region".

Conversations with my coworkers all over the country reveal that this attitude is widespread. Everyone is hoping someone will do something stupid during a CE on purpose so that we can't do them in stores anymore. That person would immediately become the saviour of all TM's. Like a real life RJR Bill Braskey.

Advice to Management

It won't matter, nothing grows volume and market share like buying your own.

"Now a Joke"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Phone and Internet allowance Along with car... you get to move around a lot during the day so you are not in a cubicle which is appealing.

The 401k match is good

Cons

Where do I start.. the last year has been a free fall disaster with moral at an all time low.

I don't know what is more sad... the fields moral and company direction? Or the management refusal to see?or worse... ignore it which seems to be the case.

Pay,workload,work environment (dangerous retail), micromanagement.. I can go on... I think the other reviews say enough on here.

Advice to Management

Should of Just sold to PM... because you turned into them.... but even worse because you pay in peanuts.

"CE Madness"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are able to work freely and to some extent make your own decisions in outlets. Expense account is allowed

Cons

The CE stuff is completely off the rails... we have to take endless training (and frivolous changes)all while being terrified of not doing the correct "protocol"... while of course being degraded talking to scummy people.

This year we are forced to do over 1000 coupon engagements.... it's madness and 90% of the TM's absolutely can't stand it...but are terrified of feedback surveys because we all know what those really are.

Advice to Management

The field hates their life.

"....."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Upper management is great, down to earth and approachable.

Vacation, 401k, other benefits are wonderful.

Nice bonus program.

Work from home is a lot of the positions.

Innovative company.

Cons

Multiple initiatives all at once, limited advance notice so execution is very challenging.

Company boasts talent development and coaching, but that's not what happens often.

Work life balance exists only for territory managers.

Lower level managers looking for advancement are ruthless, be prepared to be beat down.

Advice to Management

Make senior managers go through 360 reviews more often, there needs to be more self awareness.

"Complete disappointment every year"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company car, home office, internet and cell phone allowance. Great people especially the older folks. Great sales training. Company paid Vegas trip every couple of years.

Cons

Ever increasing workload, no long term strategy, promotions based on politics, always reactive to competition instead of following own plans and strategy.

Advice to Management

Reduce workload or increase base pay. You have combined brands and companies over the years and currently the TM does a job that used to be done by 4 different TMs in the past. How about increasing 4 times the base pay?? In addition when gas prices were $5 bucks a gallon you used it as excuse to raise the monthly car fee, why not lower it now considering gas prices went down?