Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated June 9, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 22 reviews)

• Tobacco industry, management can be overbearing for a simplified job description (in 23 reviews)

1. "Lead Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Developing a good coaching culture.
    Fairly good salary in home office.
    Addressed the concerns about smoking in an office environment.
    Updating the main office building to more modern equipment.

Cons

Not enough movement available internally for current employees to different departments without posting on jobs like an external candidate.
    All departments are not treated the same with regard to consistent promotions or employee levels. Favoritism given to Brand marketing.
    Focusing more effort on hiring younger employees.

Advice to Management

Create consistency between all departments so favoritism is removed.
    Create a coaching culture to all departments.
    Need progression opportunities for internal employees as outside hires are brought in at higher levels over qualified internal staff.

"Great company that cares about their employees"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

This company does a fantastic job of providing a lot of benefits to their employees. With the time off allowance, company car, 401k matching, there are a lot of reasons to want to work here. We are innovative and constantly looking into the future despite the legal challenges the industry faces, which means you don't have to worry about job security.

Cons

Like any fortune 500 company, there are a lot of politics when it comes to management and how promotions/annual reviews are treated. Sometimes the work-life balance can be tough even with all the time off because you are constantly managing unrealistic expectations with what can actually be done.

3. "Senior Division Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager of Trade Marketing
    Current Employee - Senior Division Manager of Trade Marketing

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities for advancement both in the field and at the main office in Winston-Salem. High performance is mandatory, which is why you see people who don't make it a year leave bad reviews.

Cons

Must relocate for advancement, some areas require a good deal of travel, and company meetings do not allow spouses/family to attend even during after hour events.

Advice to Management

Keep the field informed. Although this is usually the case, it does not always happen and can cause execution nightmares. Continue to get feedback from the field - things look good on paper may not be relevant at the ground level. Again, this normally happens but causes problems when it doesn't.

4. "Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company invests in the development of its' employees, and trusts their employees to make the right business decisions as we see fit. The freedom to manage your assignment is very nice so that we are able to be in the right places at the right time to impact and drive our business.

Cons

With adding Newport to our portfolio, business has really picked up. There's always something that needs to be done and things are always changing. It's a fast-paced industry so it's imperative to be pro-active with initiatives and correspondence.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust your employees and seek feedback to ensure we have what we need to do our jobs and are happy.

5. "TM"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Boston, MA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Company to work for.

Cons

Salaries used to be in the top 80% - 85% of sales jobs out there but it only averages amongst like jobs at around 63% of sales jobs out there. Had more to go around 15 yrs ago than today.

6. "good"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Very good company to work for

Cons

Constant change in the industry

"Great Company-management is getting better with a new school style"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you have a great manager, everything about the job is awesome. He/she will have your back, support you, and roll up their sleeves to help you. The company promotes 2-way coaching, and has really demonstrated they value their employees. They have done a much better job over the years of really listening and responding to employee surveys, and understanding the value of work/life balance. RAI is killing it in the industry- our retailers seem to respect and enjoy their relationship with us, as compared to our demanding competitors. The research and development of some of our products (Suns, vuse, etc..) makes selling in quite easy, because they are top quality products. Flex time, no more time stamped calls, all the benefits everyone has mentioned and support given, all make this job great.....if you have a good DM/RM.
    I've heard nightmares about other regions, but so cal is the best. The RM has been around awhile and is laid back and supportive/friendly. We have a high share of market here, so there doesn't seem to be as much pressure/"big brothering" as other areas.

Cons

Pay. A tremendous increase in work load over the years, and still under $60k in CA? in the Midwest/south, you will be living like a king, but it's very hard to accumulate enough to contribute to your savings account, living in CA, Hawaii, or NYC. The bonus is nice, but after paying 40% in taxes, it's barely anything. Also, the emphasis on consumer engagements/coupons is getting out of control. We are expected to stand around and wait for tobacco users to purchase a product, and engage them with coupons for $1/pack. The quota keeps rising every year, and the time spent doing this takes away from the time we need to do our daily retail duties. With an increasing quota, we are seeing many return customers who just want a "cheap pack", and aren't loyal to the brand. It is now being abused and I believe the company is losing valuable dollars in resources.

Advice to Management

A 15-20% increase in pay for areas with higher living expenses. More opportunities for promotion locally. The year end write up for the panel process is ridiculous, since 95% of people get "achieves". You want us to write everything we've done "above and beyond" our job requirements.. But with all our newly added responsibilities, it's hard just to keep up! Unless we are striving for something above "achieves", we should not have to do this. It is frustrating to see poor performers get rewarded the same as hard workers.
    Omit CE's for TM's...that is what we hire our 3rd party, MKTG to do. The quota is stressful, and leads to a more transactional vs educational experience. It's a huge waste of money and time.

8. "RJReynolds"

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Division Manager

Pros

Great culture, supportive, team oriented, always challenging, rewarding, very good training resources and you have access to the top levels.

Cons

Lots of work, if that's a con, so you have to manage your time. High expectations if you want to become a manager.

Advice to Management

The shift that the company is going thru will make it even a better company. More people focused.

9. "Analyst"

Pros

The pay is very good here

Cons

Some of the office politics need to be removed

10. "Great culture, good people, focused vision"

Pros

Committed people that live the culture, very down to earth

Cons

Depends on area, some practices redundant, some store owners can barely spell the word cigarette.

Advice to Management

Stay focused and we will win, continue to provide insight and workers in the loop as you have done so far