Reynolds American Territory Manager III Reviews | Glassdoor

Territory Manager III

3.9
Debra A. Crew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 22 reviews)

• Tobacco industry, management can be overbearing for a simplified job description (in 23 reviews)

1. "Territory Manager III"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Bristol, VA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Bristol, VA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Autonomy
    Company Car
    Vacation time
    Great leadership
    Trip to Vegas every 3 yrs
    Freedom to do the job and own your territory

Cons

Could be paid more
    Workload can get overwhelming at times
    Not the case for me but some DM's can micromanage

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate compensation

2. "Territory Manager III"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Schedule, company car ($150/month), co-workers (mostly good people), and benefits from day one. Managers are ok but you will run into some that are horrible. The training is very good.

Cons

Very stressful with too many tasks thrown at TMs. Resigning contracted stores, trying to keep up with consumer engagements, Newport Platinum launch, Vibe expansion, and resetting... including unnecessary tasks from management. Some TMs might have it better and others might have an overbearing manager. All of this comes with little pay increases and/or promotions. In addition, if you want to be promoted you will need to relocate.

Advice to Management

Be realistic and have a better understanding of what is happening in the field. Pay better and motivate your sales team. Too much pressure on TMs.

"Garbage company"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in New York, NY

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't really think of too many... this is one of the most mundane jobs I have ever had. Getting paid holidays off is nice but nothing that no other company doesn't do.

Cons

Very corporate like atmosphere that carries more about numbers than personnel and their wellbeing. Management loves carrying their contracts into accounts like a hammer and ready to swing it at store owners for noncompliance. They then leave you to clean up the mess on the subsequent visit.

Senior level management need to gain an understanding of what's happening in the streets with TMs. Too many tasks for one person to complete in one given day!!!

Advice to Management

Get a clue and understanding of what's going on with the morale of Territory Managers cause it's not good!

4. "Territory Manager 3"

Former Employee - Territory Manager III

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company car, insurance and travel.

Cons

Micromangement, harassment of management and unachievable stretch goals.

Advice to Management

Be truthful with employees, do not put yourself on a pedastel and try to be a guiding force rather than an obstacle to employees.

"Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company car was one the biggest perks, benefits were great, 401k matching, Cell phone discount, and allowance. Great health and dental benefits.

Cons

They constantly use a "promotion" over your head to encourage you to work harder but promotions are few and far between. Management was constantly changing so you were always having to build a relationship and prove yourself to a new manager to get a good yearly review. I personally had 3 different managers in 5 years and 3 different Regional Directors. You do something one way then another manager comes in and "prefers" it another way. Job depends strongly on the manager. After the acquisition of Lorillard they doubled the work load for employees. The amount of work you have to do to get a promotion (which you WILL have to relocate to) compared to the pay raise you get is crazy. You could just find another job if you wanted the pay increase.

Advice to Management

Stop playing the competition game with your teams. When teammates feel they are in competition for a promotion the work environment gets tense.

"Became a mother & they weeded me out"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Money and benefits are good. Working independently also has its perks. They invest a lot of money in training.

Cons

Very high stress and long hours. Since Debra Crew became president, employees are getting burnt out with all the initiatives coming done. Makes it hard to manage all the tasks and goals. Your Division Manager can make or break your career. Company started treating me horriblely and making my job more difficult ever since they found out I was pregnant and became a mother.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like they matter.

"Great company with an equally great compensation package"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The money, the people, and the freedom to define your path to success.
    We always stay in nice hotels
    We have team lunches and dinners and team building nights of fun
    We have fun and work smarter as a team
    The upper management is a great group and there is always a good time planned when an executive is visiting
    If you have a great DM that challenges you and works with you to develop your skill set, then you have struck Turkish Gold! (tobacco reference)
    You will develop relationships with interesting and good people from all over the world (I know more millionaires from foreign countries, then I ever imagined I would meet in my lifetime!)
    I was paid out over $25k in purely bonus money for 2016... that pretty much sums up how they take care of everyone in the organization and reward our hard work.
    You never know what to expect each day (in a good way)
    The training and development workshops are enjoyable and you can get a lot out of them if you have the right mindset of wanting to learn and better yourself and your abilities

Cons

Our CRM software, 'Falcon' was possibly developed by terrorists to torture us... Just kidding, but the IT support is a great resource and they have always fixed any issue that I have experienced.
    All accounts are not necessarily environments that are conducive for business.
    It can be stressful and difficult to manage everything all the time, but utilize all the resources provided by the company (and especially a good DM or mentor) and you will achieve your goals and be able take your success to the bank... literally!
    It is difficult to get promoted, even with hard work and constantly thriving to grow your area
    You will make a sincere effort to be viewed as a credible business advisor to all your accounts, but some will always refer to you as the "coupon guy" or they just won't have the motivation or ability to work with you to further develop their business.
    The amount of work required just to deal with a price change of under $1 is frustrating
    Getting placed in an undesirable territory will make it a tough road ahead, but it will build character and make you a stronger individual.

Advice to Management

I sincerely enjoyed most interactions that I have had so far with any member of management because you all (for the most part) are approachable and genuine people. It is always refreshing having an executive visit and getting to talk about topics unrelated to work.

"Great for experience, can be a career"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Company cares about employees and development
    -Good salary and great benefits
    -Fair vacation package
    -Great job right out of college and way to get training and begin a career