Reynolds American Territory Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Reynolds American President and CEO Ricardo Oberlander
Ricardo Oberlander

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible with a great work-life balance" (in 53 reviews)

• "Great benefits, car, vacation days more than many companies" (in 86 reviews)

Cons
  • "At busy times work life/balance can become a pattern" (in 33 reviews)

• "Nothing except the fact it's in the tobacco industry" (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great colleagues. Receive tools and resources for success

Cons

No cons. Great company

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees to build on future success.

"Territory Manager"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Autonomy to approach business as you see fit, great management within my region, empowerment and positivity.

Cons

Senior Territory Managers are touted as the greatest asset to the organization but salary has not increased vs workload, where’s the incentive. Compensation does not reward high performers. AIAP system is flawed - profit sharing not based on performance.
    Absentee owners and customers always trying to get an angle on you.

Advice to Management

The cons are starting to outweigh the pros, it’s time to step up and swing the pendulum.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, 401k match, insurance, company car

Cons

none that I can think of

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"Strong company, but overworked"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is strong, and has the right vision for the future.

Cons

Its employees are overworked, especially those in the field.

"It is very demanding"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company Car, 9% 401 contribution, Free Gas for private use, 8-4 working schedule, See your boss once or twice a month.

Cons

Pay is extremely low & work load is high compared to other Tobacco companies. Not alot of fringe benefits. Company is constantly flip flopping on decisions. Most importantly a salary cap. If you don't get promoted, your stuck at $67,000 for payment. Hardly enough to pay rent, bills & save for the future.

Advice to Management

Pay according to zip code, lighten the work load. DMs need to stop micro managing. Stop flip flopping on merchandising the set. Pay more! We are under paid & we do more than our competition.

"Has potential"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

All depends on your immediate manager. If you have a good manager then expect a good work life balance, help with a career path, good team that works together, autonomy to make the best decisions for your territory ect.

Cons

Opportunity for career advancement comes down to the type of manager you have. Only certain parts of the country seem to promote reps. The industry is dying.

Advice to Management

Look for different parts of the country to promote reps. You have a lot of excellent reps that would make great AM, KAMs, and DMs but never get looked at year after year. Very often reps that are notorious for not doing even the basic components of their job account abilities are promoted due to the relationship with their manger and how that manager sell them at panels.

"Frontline TMs Dropping Like Flys"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Decent company car, 401k, laid back culture (not much anymore)

Cons

Close to almost 200 vacancies for the TM position across the country. 201 for me when I finish this year. Some due to retirements but most due to low moral turnover.

Competitor vapor company paying out way better packages to attract talent. Why can’t we do the same? There is even talk about reducing the bonus structure and they just raise our car payment fees up 25 dollars. Yeah, great move to attract and retain talent for sure! Keep it up!

Management is getting desperate so they are starting to post fake Glassdoor reviews to up the score.

Advice to Management

Any potential candidates reading this. Lots of FAKE reviews on here that you can probably identify. Just ignore those and read the reviews written out in lengthy detail describing the real deal.

Management: I will be leaving in 2019. But raise the salary for the lifers here. They are the ones that have to get 2nd jobs to make a living because they are stuck with this company.

"Over sold and dead end!!!"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company Car=$175 month
    6% 401 k match
    That’s about it sadly.

Cons

Consistently micromanaged from all directions. Managers need to get out of their own way and let territory managers do their jobs. There is an over abundance of upper management all striving to fill their year end panel reviews with nonsensical bullet points. Promotions based on mobility not ability. It’s sad when a Fortune 500 company wants you to relocate your family across the country for under 70k a year to be promoted. Additionally, hearing whispers about RJ Reynolds removing bonuses! We are already underpaid and over worked and only to take away Territory Managers bonuses but upper management keeps theirs!! Obscene! No clear direction! We simply change sales material and spend days resetting tobacco outlets only to change again next month. Do yourself a favor and move on to another company.

Advice to Management

Restructure the dead weight collecting an easy six figures to compensate those who struggle to survive. Promote the best not the most willing to move. Otherwise true talent will leave resulting in the situation which led to our initial demise before we merged. Have a clear direction! We are more like professional nail reset teams than managers.

"Bay Area = STAY AWAY AREA"

Former Employee - Territory Manager III in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Company Car - we used to have Ford Escape's, now we get GMC Terrain's. They're great cars and it's extremely convenient to be afforded such a luxury.

+ 401k 6% match - This is terrific!

+ Health Insurance - I live with some techies and the health insurance is on par with theirs!

Cons

- Poor compensation for an increasing amount of work. 50k in the bay for 60 hours of work a week? CHILD, PLEASE!

- HUGE turnover rate. My division always had 7-8 people when I first came we were like a family. By the next year only one other person on the team stuck around!

- Poor morale and communication. Its tough being a tobacco rep in today's world but it's even harder when your bosses don't care about you!

- No investment from store owners. The owners you run into are tired of seeing new rep after new rep. On my first week on the job I saw one of our VUSE displays in the bathroom! That shows you much our own customers value us as a brand and company!

- The person running the region isn't personable at all. Also, be warned, whenever you work with them, your food options for lunch are limited to hot dogs, wings and burgers. As a vegetarian, I find these options limiting and offensive.

- Last but not least, this company posts FAKE REVIEWS on this site. Can you believe that? SHADY! I told you! S-H-A-D-Y!! No respect, no values and ain't nobody want to work for ya'll anymore!

Advice to Management

Stop being so shady and stubborn! LISTEN to your front line, if we're the face of the company than don't spit on our faces!! This seems to be a problem in the BAY AREA particular. I have a friend who works in Idaho and they love it. They say it's night and day compared to the Bay, how can that be? Honestly... some of ya'll are very disturbing how you discuss other employees of this company.

"Before Newport, life was good"

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good 401K, Company Car which you can use as personal vehicle, and flexible schedule

Cons

After the purchase of the Newport brand, the workload has been out of control. There are constant changes as to what the "goal" is. Very hard to get promoted as there is only one path and not various avenues to move to another level. The pay is almost 20k less starting out than competitors.

Many managers manage by fear and not by encouragement. New products are launched without being tested in the market to see if they will sell.

Advice to Management

Find different avenues to promote top employees. Increase salary. Focus on products that will sell and not overload TMs with meaningless work