Reynolds American Territory Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Territory Manager

3.2
Debra A. Crew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 27 reviews)

• Stigma attached to the tobacco industry (in 24 reviews)

1. "Territory Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company clearly values you as a employee, and wants you to drive the business. Fair compensation on all fronts

Cons

Reviews for job performance are clearly subjective to the reviewer. Customers unwillingness to complete required task will be a negative impact on your performance.

Advice to Management

monthly reviews should have secondary reviews from the local level. To ensure fairness.

"Used to love it here....not so much anymore."

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are great - some of the best I've ever experienced as far as people go. I haven't met a single person here I didn't get along with. You get great benefits - company car (all expenses paid), great 401k plan, a fairly generous vacation package, the annual bonus, ect.

This isn't a job where you're doing the same thing every day, or going to the same office every day. I highly recommend if you are not motivated, self-starting, and goal oriented - probably not the best fit for you.

Much of your time is spent dealing with retailers who either don't have the time for you, or are just miserable to deal with.

Cons

Honestly - stay away.

The past two years have been absolutely absurd in terms of workload, and it's gotten incredibly worse over the past year. The amount of new products that have been launched in the last calendar year alone is ridiculous.

At some point, we went to this whole "speed to market" plan with product launches. You know what the problem is with that? You get zero time to actually drive the product, or launch it appropriately. It's gotten to the point where retailers are frustrated. We used to strive to be the "category advisor" in each store - now all we're doing is jamming new product down their throats every couple months. It's incredibly discouraging considering a lot of the new products are NOT selling at retail as they anticipated.

We've been on a path to "market leadership", and we've mocked every competitor along the way. We've become the new Altria, a company we've been working so hard to distinguish ourselves from. We've sold that story to retailers - now we're talking out of both sides of our mouths.

Advice to Management

Home office is completely out of touch with reality in terms of their expectations and what is on all of our plates. Territory Managers are exploited in their role, and aren't compensated enough. You get the executives standing on the stage of Vegas telling us how important we all are - you want a "high performing culture"? I advise you to pay up Reynolds - you're in serious danger of losing a lot of talented people.

Managers are blind. Wake up and realize the morale levels here are low. No TM's I talk to are happy with where we're at, or where we're heading.

3. "Unique Company"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great company culture
    - Great benefits
    - Excellent work life balance

Cons

- Heavy workload at certain times of the month

"You can do better"

Former Employee - Territory Manager III

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company car and decent benefits. Some people are still great but see below. There is still some freedom and flexibility but that won't last.

Cons

What was a decent job has become a nightmare. The field is overworked and underpaid. Anyone in a metro area can easily find a better job. The company preaches change but the only thing that changes is the workload and expectations. Turn around time on initiatives isn't doable, especially when you're held accountable for the multiple vacant territories. Management expects to hire top performers, and wonders why the only people they can find are bottom of the barrel candidates who last 6 months - a year. Brand launches are so frequent retailers roll their eyes every time you tell them about new products.

Advice to Management

You need to take this feedback seriously and fix this before it's too late. Reduce workload, increase pay, or both. If not, you'll be left with only the employees you don't want.

"Stay away!"

Former Employee - Territory Manager III

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some great people at Reynolds. I feel sad for the ones still there.
    $42 cell phone allowance (but only if you use Verizon-I wasn’t reimbursed for over a year because I had a contract with AT&T.)
    $55 Internet reimbursement (but if your plan is in someone else’s name, or bundled with cable tv you will get hassled about it and not paid.)
    Company car was a nice perk with gas and insurance included (but keep in mind you will pay $150 per month for this benefit.)
    9% 401k match was great.
    Benefits were pretty good.

Cons

The last two years have been a nightmare. New initiatives pop up constantly. Most are just poorly planned launches, and merchandising changes. The retailers are frustrated because they are constantly forced to bring in new SKUs that won’t sell.
    Brands have been combined so the TM is now doing the work that three TMs used to do, with no increase in pay, and decreasing bonuses.
    I also want to add that this company is single handedly trying to fill our landfills with plastic shelf hangars and other garbage.

Advice to Management

If you’re going to have any chance of retaining your employees for all their hard work, you’re going to have to pay them more!!! It’s not a livable wage in metropolitan areas.

"My Review"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonuses are great, vacation and medical benefits were great

Cons

You are not really your own boss (lies), there are not enough checks and balances for the Division Managers (if they like you, you succeed, if not-you won't); They are NOT family friendly-the DM I had, pretty much told me I had to decide what was more important. They lie to you like you "get" a company vehicle-lies, you pay for it $150/month.
    There is no training, McDonald's has a better training program..

Advice to Management

There needs to be a group specifically for training new hires. Dont leave it to your DM's who then put it on an already overworked Territory Manager.

"Nice benefits, but no work/life balance and poor company culture in my area"

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Car with unlimited gas, vacation policy, work from home. I recommended a friend to the position and they had a much better experience with a supportive boss.

Cons

No work/life balance. If you had to work in stores 2 hours away, they expected you to be there at 8 and leave at 5, regardless of the drive time there and back. You don't know where you'll end up working until after you've been offered the job.

Advice to Management

It's ridiculous to ask that employees not include all drive time as hours worked.

"High paced, constantly evolving industry. Must be a self motivated employee"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work on your own most days
    Great benefits
    Company car
    You get to be the CEO of your territory
    Out in the field everyday, driving from account to account. (Not a desk job by any means)

Cons

Changes are often drastic and stressful.
    Small lead time for changes.
    Constantly covering for other people.
    Dealing with upset retailers.

Advice to Management

Understand the number of things you want your territory managers to do and adjust your expectations to account for the workload

"Territory Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Continued Training, Territory Managers can be promoted 2 times with good pay raises.

Cons

Starting pay is way below Territory Manager salaries so it takes 3 years to become competitive. Account managers change so frequently that no stability exists in your Division. Technology is lagging and bad experiences seem to be expected as norm. The review processes are subjective & secretive, advancement is not merit based. Bad managers are investigated by HR but nothing changes. They discuss work/life balance which has become less possible with all the additional brands, and but not if you seek advancement.

"Bailed Out"

Former Employee - Territory Manager II in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Territory Manager II in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was a great on boarding experience and met some nice folks. The company at that time had a Manageable workload amount of brands and I also had a great DM (who has left now).

Meetings were always top notch and for the most part informative, health benefits were good for my kids.

Cons

It's unfortunate to leave, but it makes sense now. The company has taken a path for the worst (and most would agree). The workload and company direction is just not feasible for TM's. This is a dead end job and be very cautious to take this job if you live in a metro area and have a life... due to low pay and limited upward movement.

Advice to Management

People don't mind working very hard, but you have to give some kind of reactionary positive incentive for the increased workload.