Reynolds American Territory Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Territory Manager

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Debra A. Crew

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 22 reviews)

• Tobacco industry, management can be overbearing for a simplified job description (in 21 reviews)

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-High performing culture
    -Hire- with in. There is a lot of opportunity to move up
    -Positive working environment, its apparent upper management cares about their employees
    -Flexibility
    -Progressive

Cons

-Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this.

"Poor management that never gives positive coaching."

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom and flexibility to own your own assignment. 3 weeks vacation to start with and company car is a nice place bonus.

Cons

Always having a new directive to meet even before the previous one was met. Workload is stressful and unbearable especially for new hires who haven't even learned the position yet. Their is no comradery on the team and everyone is for themselves for the most part. Coming from SFNTC this wasn't the culture at all and it's disheartening.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as if it were yourself in the field everyday trying to juggle 10 things at once while having something new thrown into the mix weekly. It's not fun!!

3. "Churning."

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like mindless work and getting micromanaged into oblivion, Denver Market for Reynolds is your dream job.

Company Car
    Decent Pay
    401k
    Vegas trip every couple of years
    If you play the game, can be a long term career.

Cons

Micromanaged and always hiring to replace you. If you don't go by the book, they will throw you out. Work in gas stations and horrible convenience stores. Merchandising tobacco on a dirty floor and store.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page. This company used to be built on an actual concept and now it's all based on where you live. Denver Market is strict and fire people all the time. Most other places, you can work 3 hours a day, make sure your stores are not on fire and you won't get fired.

Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company car was one the biggest perks, benefits were great, 401k matching, Cell phone discount, and allowance. Great health and dental benefits.

Cons

They constantly use a "promotion" over your head to encourage you to work harder but promotions are few and far between. Management was constantly changing so you were always having to build a relationship and prove yourself to a new manager to get a good yearly review. I personally had 3 different managers in 5 years and 3 different Regional Directors. You do something one way then another manager comes in and "prefers" it another way. Job depends strongly on the manager. After the acquisition of Lorillard they doubled the work load for employees. The amount of work you have to do to get a promotion (which you WILL have to relocate to) compared to the pay raise you get is crazy. You could just find another job if you wanted the pay increase.

Advice to Management

Stop playing the competition game with your teams. When teammates feel they are in competition for a promotion the work environment gets tense.

"Great company with an equally great compensation package"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The money, the people, and the freedom to define your path to success.
    We always stay in nice hotels
    We have team lunches and dinners and team building nights of fun
    We have fun and work smarter as a team
    The upper management is a great group and there is always a good time planned when an executive is visiting
    If you have a great DM that challenges you and works with you to develop your skill set, then you have struck Turkish Gold! (tobacco reference)
    You will develop relationships with interesting and good people from all over the world (I know more millionaires from foreign countries, then I ever imagined I would meet in my lifetime!)
    I was paid out over $25k in purely bonus money for 2016... that pretty much sums up how they take care of everyone in the organization and reward our hard work.
    You never know what to expect each day (in a good way)
    The training and development workshops are enjoyable and you can get a lot out of them if you have the right mindset of wanting to learn and better yourself and your abilities

Cons

Our CRM software, 'Falcon' was possibly developed by terrorists to torture us... Just kidding, but the IT support is a great resource and they have always fixed any issue that I have experienced.
    All accounts are not necessarily environments that are conducive for business.
    It can be stressful and difficult to manage everything all the time, but utilize all the resources provided by the company (and especially a good DM or mentor) and you will achieve your goals and be able take your success to the bank... literally!
    It is difficult to get promoted, even with hard work and constantly thriving to grow your area
    You will make a sincere effort to be viewed as a credible business advisor to all your accounts, but some will always refer to you as the "coupon guy" or they just won't have the motivation or ability to work with you to further develop their business.
    The amount of work required just to deal with a price change of under $1 is frustrating
    Getting placed in an undesirable territory will make it a tough road ahead, but it will build character and make you a stronger individual.

Advice to Management

I sincerely enjoyed most interactions that I have had so far with any member of management because you all (for the most part) are approachable and genuine people. It is always refreshing having an executive visit and getting to talk about topics unrelated to work.

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, always off weekends, nice company events, great pay,can say this all day

Cons

really i cannot find any

Advice to Management

keep it up with the efforts made in enhancing the culture

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture, benefits and training

Cons

getting promoted depends highly on the area that you are assigned to, so in some cases may take longer than anticipated

Advice to Management

Make division management more uniform, some divisions have a lot lower expectations therefore TM's shine or appear to be doing a better job than in other divisions where the DM has a higher bar. therefore some TM's that are less qualified may get promoted simply because their supervisor expects less from them.

"Don't do it"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401k is good and so is tuition reimbursement

Cons

Everything. No room for advancement. We have people who have been TM for 10 yrs. they max pay at 66900 and that's it. Everyone get same bonus either top or bottom of company. Home office is so ditached from field they don't know how to treat their employees. It's a shame.

Advice to Management

Promote your people. So many MBA grads leave because RJ Reynolds day they don't have leadership potential.

9. "Territory Manager III"

Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Chicago, IL

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training, car, benefits, employees, and pay

10. "Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job, benefits, and bonus package. Company car and good 401k plan! Also great work-life balance!

Cons

not many cons that i can think of