Reynolds American Trade Marketing Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Ricardo Oberlander
  1. "Caring Company"

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in Hamilton, OH

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked for our current leaders for 21 years. First w/ Brown and Williamson and now the RJReynolds. Our management team cares about our well being and our families and gives us ample time to manage both. They make smart decisions that assist in making us successful and happy.

Cons

It is an ever changing environment due to government restrictions etc so we are constantly adapting. I like change and am bored easily so I find it a good challenge while others may not.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing. Great job!!!

Reynolds American2016-09-19

"Trade marketing"

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Representative

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work hard play hard environment. Company car which you and spouse can use for both personal time. 401K match at 6%.

Cons

The company tries too hard to mask the fact that they are selling tobacco products. After 2016, all of Trade Marketing needs a significant raise after the amount of work and poor timing of brand launches. With the continued pressure to launch new brands, the Territory Managers are beginning to feel like they are robots in the field re-merchandising cigarettes all day.

Advice to Management

Cool down on consumer engagement expectations. Also, you are losing great talent with your current succession process.

Reynolds American2017-01-03
  3. "Very good sales job"

Former Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work life balance. Salary. Company Car. Good Management.

Cons

Tobacco industry. Really, not much else.

Reynolds American2014-10-04
  4. "Good company"

Trade Marketing Representative in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Reynolds American

Pros

Very supportive management. Great training programs and benefits.

Cons

Hard labor having to merchandise products, build and install shelving.

Advice to Management

Hire merchandisers

Reynolds American2012-02-29

"It's HOT, but will it all go up in SMOKE?"

Trade Marketing Representative in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American

Pros

Money is great. Benefits are great. They give you a lot of hope to a bright career. They are very innovative,but oddly everything flops. Bonuses can be great and the vacation time is adequate. They prepare you to take on the world and their information is top notch.

Cons

The hope ends quickly. Management is weak at best. They are constantly changing and most cases its to the betterment of those in the office. This is a market that has been declining for the last 10 years at a rate of 3%, due the math many will not retire here. Number two company with a large gap between number one.

Advice to Management

You have the best sales group out there, quit telling them that and show them.

Reynolds American2008-09-05
  6. "No future, no growth,..no go"

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Representative

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Car, Life Work Balance, the 401K is awesome!

Cons

Management is horrible, there is no upward mobility the industry keeps shrinking and company keeps cutting benefits and increasing the workload. Do not work here unless you just need a few years of expereince in B2B. Also management does not respenct workers at all, huge turnover rates. Super intense micro management.

Advice to Management

Respect workers, make them feel appreciated

Reynolds American2012-06-28

"The atmosphere was one that was negative with low morale due to ineffective management."

Trade Marketing Representative

I worked at Reynolds American

Pros

The lifestyle of the job is great since it allows you work independently and not have to go to an office.

Cons

The culture is one that involves management by fear. You hear more negative than positive which is not a motivating factor.

Reynolds American2011-06-30

"Just depends on your immediate superior. Get a good boss everything is great. Get a bad boss and life is miserable."

Trade Marketing Representative

I worked at Reynolds American

Pros

If you want to learn how to work, work for Reynolds American. You have to work hard and organize your time to get the calls made by frequency and amount. You don't have to worry about having nothing to do. The problem is getting it all done. Great benefits and yearly bonuses if the company makes goal. The company/region/division always makes some of the goals so there is always a bonus of some sort. Anywhere from... $4000 to 10,000+. But those that make the big bonuses are about 3%. Good Pay. Not Great, Good.

Cons

A few things: 1. You get a good boss (Division Manager). You work hard for him, a great motivator. Life is grand. The division looks good, he looks good, you look good. He is promoted within 2 years and then you get a jerk for a DM and he stays there FOREVER, and upper management ignores his insensibilities, arrogance, micromanaging or his overall inability to manage and they will keep him in that position. ... Upper management people don't seem to realize that there are 2 ways of exerting pressure on the grunts making the call: pulling up (the good managers), pushing down (the bad ones). 2. If you don't have aspirations to move up, don't take the job or at least don't mention those feelings at your interview. They want young aggressive people who are willing to marry Reynolds American and go whereever. If you are a hard working Joe that has roots and don't want to move, for example, you want to stay in sales and you like your area and don't want to go to management, but you still want the job, keep it to yourself and decide that after you have proven yourself on the job for awhile. You MIGHT change your mind. 3. Don't EVER give your idea that something that has come from above is a bad idea. Trust me, if it gets to you in written form at a meeting it's already etched in stone and any ideas not corresponding with corporate ideas are viewed as an inability to change or inflexibility. It doesn't matter that: You work the area. You know your competition. You know your accounts. Who in the world came up with this crazy idea. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND SMILE WHILE NODDING VERTICALLY.

Advice to Management

Too much change of direction coming from corporate. Almost seems like someone upstairs is trying to justify his/her job without a thought to those that have to implement his/her idea. But that's not his or her problem. Look, the truth is that the idea that you have come up with has been tried before with either success or failure. Talk to a group of veteran field reps (20 to 30 years experience) that are not yes... men/women and get their input. I know, you do this, but the people you get are afraid to nod their head any way but vertically. I'm not talking about malcontents, I'm talking about good reps that if asked a question will give you an answer. But you have to be willing to listen and take the ideas into consideration without getting upset or reprisal. Directors, talk to the seasoned veterans of RJR out on the trade about the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of their DM, and how the DM is affecting morale within the division. Is he promoting cohesiveness, is he showing favoritism, does he pit one against another. Competition between peers is great as long as all those who really put forth an effort are noticed as well. Stress (for those that are really working hard) the team and that all have a part to play AND YOU APPRECIATE THEIR HARD WORK. Does the DM exert pressure by pulling up, or by pushing down?

Reynolds American2011-04-19