Reynolds Consumer Products Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Lance Mitchell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No room for growth, Many changes affect the culture and values" (in 3 reviews)

• "No room for advancement and felt held back in my position" (in 4 reviews)

"Wonder place to work"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Jacksonville, IL
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Jacksonville, IL

I worked at Reynolds Consumer Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reynolds was an excellent place to work. The members of management were all very professional and approachable, my unit manager was one of the best leaders I ever worked for, and everyone is treated with dignity and respect. The family type atmosphere was excellent and even the director of operations remembered my son’s birthday. From the top down the folks at Hefty care.

Cons

I left for family reasons, were it not for those I could have seen myself staying for a long time.

Advice to Management

Keep automating processes

Mar 13, 2018 – Human Resources Director & Talent Management

Thank you for leaving a review. We are pleased to know that you had a great experience working for Reynolds Consumer Products. Our company prides itself in a culture of teamwork, integrity, and... More

2. "Sr IT Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Reynolds Consumer Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great IT Team that is passionate about there jobs. The CIO is passionate and easily approachable. Good benefits and great work-life balance.

Cons

A lot of areas require the process improvements

Advice to Management

As IT team, let's continue to evolve with good technologies that drive continuous improvement in our organization and help the business.

Aug 20, 2018 – Human Resources Director & Talent Management

Thank you for leaving a review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience at Reynolds Consumer Products. Our employees play a major role in the success of our company and we strive to... More

3. "Good job"

Former Employee - Pressman in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Pressman in Richmond, VA

I worked at Reynolds Consumer Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overtime, benefits, Christmas shutdown, eight hour shifts

Cons

Union plant with terrible union

Advice to Management

None

Aug 6, 2018 – Human Resources Director & Talent Management

Thank you for leaving a review. We wish you success in your future endeavors.

4. "Lacks Leadership"

I worked at Reynolds Consumer Products full-time

Pros

A lot of good, dedicated people, even though there's little in the way of motivation people want to do good work.

Cons

Real leadership and management are not valued, there are many managers here that don't understand how to motivate or develop their talent. It's hard to stay at a company where your hard work and accomplishments just aren't valued, what is said in a hallway is more important than what you've actually achieved. All you have to do is see the number of talented people leaving to know that this is a big issue.

Advice to Management

Work on developing the management skills of your leaders, start standing up for your people, learn to value the talent in your teams.

"Marketing Roles Minus the Actual 'Marketing'"

Current Employee - Marketing in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Reynolds Consumer Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on where you are in your life/career Reynolds could be a good choice. There's a definite "Joy Luck Club" feel to the marketing department and even more so in the broader organization. The company plays well with the mature crowd that live up on the North Shore and want to run out the clock on their career in a relatively low-stress environment, close to home and with good pay
    - Recognizable brands
    - By-in-large fantastic people; really good eggs with a lot of respect for work/life
    - If commodities break in the right direction you'll make a nice cash bonus; cash compensation overall is strong; benefits are good
    - Over-inflated titles; a lot of Presidents and Vice Presidents running around and you'll likely also get a title that's one-up from what you'd get elsewhere
    - Very reasonable hours; you could fire a cannon through that place at 8 am or 5:30 pm and you wouldn't hit a single person

Cons

Reynolds is a completely operationally/commercially driven business. You can park your b-school Strategy books on the shelf---you won't need them. Every role in the company is about execution and tactics---no issue is "too small" for senior executives (or even the CEO) to be involved.

In terms of "Marketing" in the traditional sense---most businesses have little (to none) and it's the first thing to go when the going gets tough---you'll spend a lot of time (as will your VP) agonizing over your 1 online video and 2 Facebook posts because that's probably your plan for the year (in most cases)...

For the most part these businesses are brutal....just absolutely brutal...low-involvement, no growth categories....businesses constantly "at risk"....constantly "bidding" (i.e. dropping price) to retain business....your "marketing plan" and ability to hit it are constantly subject to the whims and fancies of the latest Walmart buyer

The line between Marketing and Sales isn't blurred, it doesn't really exist at all. Your first priority will always be to humbly be in service of the sales organization and the customer...Line reviews, pricing management, responding to customer requests---that's all you....this means very heavy doses of project management...if they want a pack size changed within an impossible time-frame--you'd better get at it...and your counterpart in Sales may not match your intellectual capacity but that won't change the fact this his/her word will always carry more weight than yours within the organization....Marketing is "nice", Sales is "essential"

Advancement will be hard to come by....the company isn't exactly a growth engine and it's hard to create opportunities out of thin air

This plays off the pros above....you need to look at it in balance and decide what's right

Advice to Management

Many of the cons are a function of the business/industry and out of your control. A lot of positive changes have been made to make it a better place to work....try to keep moving in that direction even if the business takes a turn for the worse

6. "NO GOOD"

I worked at Reynolds Consumer Products full-time

Pros

Shame that you can not make a living in a non-union factory in the USA.

Cons

Everything about the job. Low pay(Just enough to keep a family of two off welfare). Terrible hours(over night, swing shift, and mandated weekends). Try to downsize workforce yet increase production.

7. "Analyst"

I have been working at Reynolds Consumer Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far so good. Environment looks good.

Cons

It's too early to comment of the cons for the moment.

Apr 30, 2018 – Human Resources Director & Talent Management

Thank you for providing feedback. We wish you all the best in your career at Reynolds Consumer Products. Please reach out to your manager or Human Resources if you have any questions or concerns.

"It all depends on who your manager is...."

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Reynolds Consumer Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pay and the free coffee

Cons

Morale is extremely low at the Lincolnshire location. It doesn't take long to figure out who runs the show there, whom I will refer to as captain, thus avoiding titles.

Most managers are very good, but be very careful if you are about to work for one of two terrible female managers. Everybody knows about this and avoids these managers as much as possible, but the captain turns a blind eye - he doesn't want to deal with these managers and create any waves. If there are any ethics at this location, you would never know it.

Recently, they had to let go of some African Americans who weren't showing
    up for work. The response was to let go of a couple of white males. From what I have seen, they were good at what they did, just couldn't get along with their managers. From what I hear, there was no warning before these employees were dismissed,
    which, if true, is pretty pathetic. These people have families! Also, the captain turns a blind eye if you leave work at 3pm but only if you are in a federally protected class.

Also, it is the only place I have ever worked at where they actually discourage documentation.

Advice to Management

HR needs to get involved, but they are nowhere to be seen! Be colorblind - treat all people equally and don't be afraid to deal with those managers who are very difficult to work with!

9. "Product Marketing Manager"

I worked at Reynolds Consumer Products full-time

Pros

Great people, great history, solid product

Cons

Unskilled senior management and running to lean on staff

10. "Good job to have"

Current Employee - B2 Manufacturing Operator in Jacksonville, IL
    Current Employee - B2 Manufacturing Operator in Jacksonville, IL

I have been working at Reynolds Consumer Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay
    Vacation and benefits
    Advancement opportunities
    Decent training program
    Fun atmosphere
    Free money for meeting goals i.e. audits on PPE etc (monthly Amex gift cards)
    Discounted prices at company store on most products RCP sells
    Can only be mandated to work twice a month never on saturdays and there is a whole year schedule to know when you will have to work extra
    Plenty of overtime for extra money whenever you want

Cons

Lack of communication at different levels of factory
    Hoops to jump through for advancement (pay for skills program)
    Lack of knowledge of operations in upper positions due to hiring outside people unfamiliar with any part of company machines process etc.
    12 hour swing shifts
    Mandate schedule

Advice to Management

Focus less on paperwork and the bottom line and more on employees that work hard and or that have worked there forever.