Reynolds and Reynolds Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

2.5
Reynolds and Reynolds Chairman & CEO Bob Brockman
Bob Brockman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company hires a lot of entry level applicants, but strives on promotion from within (in 55 reviews)

• Many company sponsored sports leagues and employee functions (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Very high turnover rate due to lower than average salary and benefits (in 36 reviews)

• Didn't meet upper management, more conservative culture (in 67 reviews)

"My recommendation - stay away"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The team I worked on was great. We had good chemistry and that probably kept us all there longer than we should have stayed. The company functions/leagues were fun too, but probably for the same reason mentioned above.

Cons

The pay is the worst. The turnover rate is bad as well. They are not worried about paying low because they will just hire another new grad that is looking for a job and pay him as little as possible.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with some respect and keep up the rest of the world on salaries. This would help retain a lot of the application knowledge that you are losing all the time.

"This Marketing Analyst, or really any role at Naked Lime, is not a job I recommend."

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are great. That is about the only positive about working in the Naked Lime division of Reynolds.

Cons

Instability in staff and salary are the biggest components. They do not compete with the market when it comes to salary, not even close. When you interview, they tell you “there is opportunity to grow” but that is hardly ever the case for anyone. The turnover is unreal and no one seems to do anything or care that it is the way it is. “Bandaid” changes come and eventually don’t have an effect. They will continuously claim that salary isn’t the problem, but more times than not, it is. Job satisfaction is also an issue in the sense that you have monthly goals you have to hit. Once a new month starts, the goals start over, as well. The marketing Analyst role is extremely monotonous and only changes if you “get involved in side projects,” which no one care to do since it won’t affect your salary.

Advice to Management

COMPETE WITH THE MARKET. It is unreal how blind you are on this matter and it affects your employees more than you know. Telling those who leave “that is something I have no control over” is a joke because you have people who can send the message to the stingy man who runs the company when they go have their pow-wow at his home in Aspen.

"Get experience and get out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent opportunity to get experience.

Cons

They churn through employees because there is little room for advancement and extremely poor pay for what is expected of you.
    If they find out you are looking for a new job, you will get fired.

"Not the best, not the worst"

Former Employee - Computer Programmer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Computer Programmer in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're in, there's a lot of camaraderie and a lot of activities outside of work. It feels like a club

Cons

It's who you know that advances you. It feels like a club where you have some members who are in and some who are there to pay the bills

Advice to Management

Update and innovate

"Good training for entry level, but few opportunities for advancement."

Current Employee - Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to begin a career or start a new one, as they offer full training to do the job. They only hire for entry level, so they hire expecting to invest in training.

Cons

They really don't offer much incentive to stay once the vesting period is over. Don't expect any bonuses or good chances to move up unless you happen to be in the right place at the right time. Raises are pretty limited, too.

Advice to Management

Rather than focusing all the time on hiring and training new people, consider investing more in keeping the people who are already there. That requires spending some more money and making sure current employees are made aware of advancement opportunities wherever they exist. The company has interesting offerings, good products, and is well positioned in the industry. Give your employees more reasons to stick with you instead of waving them out the back door in a flood.

"Your first job"

Current Employee - Outside Services in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Outside Services in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get paid every two weeks

Cons

Upper management it's stuck in the Stone Age. Their employee handbook is thick and every paragraph ends up with "up to termination" if you go with this probably 90% of the people working there could be fired at any one time. The thing is that people don't get fired unless you test positive for tobacco use. You can carry a loaded weapon at work at any time . It seems that a cigarette it's more dangerous than a loaded gun?
      I've seen people work 10 hrs a week and get paid for 40 hrs for years This is why you are not going to get paid well and why they don't want you to know more than you have to do your job. If you like an environment where moving up means taking it like a slave then this is for you. I recommend get your feet wet and move on or you will regret it latter

Advice to Management

get rid of all management personnel and get people that know how to run a company

"Entry Level Software Developer - I Resigned Once I Found Something Better..."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All the pros I've listed may be specific to my position, or my team, or my department and may not extend to other positions, teams, or departments within the company.
    -Flexible work environment (my department had core hours between 10 to 3 so you could adjust your 8 hour work day however you wanted as long as you were there for the core hours).
    -I got my own office! (no cubicles ftw!)
    -Self-paced work environment.
    -They have a cafeteria.
    -They train you (although their training consists of material you should've covered in college).
    -I worked alongside a pleasant and understanding team.
    -They have a quite a few extracurricular activities for their employees (Bowling, Softball, Picnics, etc.).
    -If you get there early enough, you can park within a garage

Cons

Before I start listing any cons, I want to mention that I did not list any of the cons out of anger and I was truly grateful to Reynolds for offering me a position after graduation. That being said...
    -Below average pay (I was paid 48k, when a entry level software developer salary is around 55k to 60k).
    -They have a policy prohibiting employees from discussing their salary with other employees. This only benefits the company by withholding information from the employee about whether their peer in making considerably more for the same work (search 'Adam Ruins Everything Salary' on YouTube).
    -Business Casual dress code (I considered this a con, but maybe it isn't to everybody).
    -Aside from salads, the cafeteria isn't very vegetarian friendly.
    -No paid vacation during your first year.
    -You get 2 unexcused paid sick days plus an additional 3 sick days, where a doctor's note must be provided.
    -You can't smoke ever, they test for nicotine when they drug test you (As a non-smoker, I actually considered this a pro but I don't think a company has the right to make this decision on your behalf).
    -I only worked here until I found something better but the benefits weren't great from what I saw
    -You have to stay with the company for 2 years before you become fully-vested with the 6% company matched 401k but you can start contributing to it right away
    -There didn't seem to be much you could do to improve your skill set with the company (This should definitely be a priority for a new graduate).

Advice to Management

At least pay your employees, the average starting salary for their position. You claim to recruit the best employees, but you can't possibly hope be able to retain them, nor should you expect to, by paying only 75% of what they deserve.

"So many fake reviews!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hire people with no experience. 6% 401k matching.

Cons

Do not believe all these positive reviews! Seems management and/or marketing has been asked to inflate the company image. NO ONE in Houston thinks this is a desirable place to work. Only accept a job here if you are desperate, which was exactly my situation. Get your experience and get out. The pay is pathetic, the company culture is very stuffy and old-fashioned, and the product they put out is mediocre at best. The "CEO" is in his eighties now...is he even still mentally competent to run a huge business? The president up and quit recently...does he know something the rest of us don't?

Advice to Management

No use giving advice to management. They don't listen.

"Worst experience of my life"

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are admittedly pretty good.

Cons

In the other hand, everything else about the company is terrible. Management us overbearing and offers no real support. The work is tedious. There is no opportunity for advancement. Training is inefficient and inadequate. The company forces employees to participate in unpleasant after hours activities and punishes those who don't attend. The dress code antiquated and unbelievably strict.

Advice to Management

Stop being so upright and overbearing. There's a reason you can't retain your employees.

"An OK place to work"

Former Employee - Systems Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Houston office employees were given our own rooms.
    Building and rooms are temperature controlled all year long.
    Projects can be completed at our own pace.

Cons

Salary isn't very competitive.
    Strict rules of coding.
    Very little collaboration between co-workers.

Advice to Management

Strict rule of coding can be frustrating at times.

Showing 140 of 1,078 reviews