Reynolds and Reynolds Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Reynolds and Reynolds Chairman & CEO Bob Brockman
Bob Brockman

Pros
  • Great salary and benefits for the College Station area for an entry level job (in 49 reviews)

• The company also does a lot to encourage people to get to know each other through sports leagues and other company events (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not much room for advancement and limited raises (in 26 reviews)

• Upper Management lacks leadership (in 58 reviews)

"Administrative Assistant"

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time

Pros

-The "bottom-tier" people share a camaraderie, like you're all in a war together - and the opposition is middle and upper management. Reynolds will hire you and give you a job, but they treat you as if you're an easily-replaceable number. I spent 4 years working for them and, in my tenure there, the department grew (from 35 at first to 70 when I left), but 54 people had left the department, some in a horizontal move to another department, but most just flat-out left the company.
    -It makes every job you have after it a whole lot sweeter by comparison.
    -There are opportunities for raises depending on your job and gender, but not large raises.

Cons

-By the time most people get to their first four months, they are already disenfranchised with the company and how they are treated. After you've been there about two years, management begins to single out employees and beat down their morale even more until they leave so they can hire someone new for less money.
    -Middle management is forced to take classes upon promotion on "The Art of War" by Sun Tsu as the guideline for dealing with subordinates.
    -They don't trust employees at all, and make it VERY evident. For example, middle management will watch your personal work computer's "idle time" clock in case you take more than 15 minutes for your break.
    -Reynolds found out that n employee was filming women in the bathrooms and locker rooms, but gave him two weeks to get out of the state before informing the police of his actions. Then Reynolds didn't cooperate with the police about handing over the recording materials and videos until the cops threatened to take it public. So, basically they're super classy there.
    -Also, if you're a woman working there, don't expect to EVER make it any higher than Manager-level. My husband and I both worked there, and even though we had the same starting pay and similar jobs, he made over $7,000 more than me at four years than I was making at four years. (Another reason that they say they will fire you if you talk to other employees about your pay.)
    -In a community like Dayton that has diversity, they basically only hire Caucasian people.

Advice to Management

-Stop having your middle management read "The Art of War" and give them books on success by Mr. Rogers instead.
    -Don't make hiring decisions based on who your friends are, because there are a lot of supervisors that don't have a clue what they're doing.
    -A little trust and morale-boosting goes a LONG way. Also, "thank you" is not unprofessional - In my time there, I was thanked by a supervisor a whopping three times.

"positives on the surface"

Former Employee - Customer Training Professional in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Training Professional in Dayton, OH

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good building and facilities, lots of outside work activities, many young professionals, 401k match

Cons

starting salaries are well below market, no HR department, corporate officers are all white males from the baby boomer generation or older, no career direction or coaching, management is against changes suggested by younger associates, more veteran associates do not teach and mentor the younger associates, management often makes millennial and gen x jokes despite their work force comprising of them.

"One of the worst companies to work for"

Current Employee - Field Service in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service in College Station, TX

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll never have to work more than 8-5, and you better have a doctor's note if work less than that

Cons

I absolutely detest this company. Management is so TYPE X, it's the extreme they tell us doesn't exist anymore because there are so many new and better ways to manage a company. They micromanage, don't give you any autonomy wit your work, and make you feel so small when being reprimanded for benign things! Example: requiring an employee shoe PROOF that his house flooded and that's why he was 3 hours late for work. Another example, it's now required that we update our call center status every time we leave our desks with exactly where we are going, time and date stamped.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees! I certainly am capable of much higher productivity and innovation levels, but you don't let me breathe let alone give me room to grow! Trust that your employees WANT to work hard for you if you just give them the room to feel like their work is a product of their efforts and something they should be proud of. You being this way actually makes me want to work at my lowest level because you don't deserve my best.

"A company in desperate need of a Union"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

White collar wage slavery > Blue collar/retail wage slavery. I've heard all the usual tropes about stepping stones, finding the right department, and oh yes, the PEOPLE. For the record, the people here are pretty great at least in the rank and file. The Dayton facilities are nice enough, food is fine but unnecessary, health benefits are decent if you don't actually use them...dental is good, and they do match 6% of your measly salary after two years vesting period...if you make it that is...

Cons

I was lied to from the beginning, plain and simple. They lure you in with promises of career opportunities and potential pay increases but none of it came to fruition for me despite long hours, high productivity, and even the agreement of my supervisor that I deserved more. In fact, I found out people with less academic, industry, and company experience were hired in after me for thousands of dollars more. Why? Because a sharp spike in turnover and an inability of leadership to trick new people into joining up (probably because of reviews like this) forced their hand on the whole base pay thing. Upon a few people discovering this fact, including myself, I requested a pay bump up to at least their level and was met with accusations of union behavior, threats of termination, and an official email to my whole team warning us against sharing salary information. What NLRA? I was blown away by the overreaction. Keep in mind, the value of my particular team's work absolutely warranted the higher pay and we all knew it. I doubt our team was alone on that one...simple fact Bob you may own the company but it don't make any money unless your super prescreened, high IQ, hard working employees perform the labor. My God this company...workers keep getting paid way less than market value while contributing a higher surplus value than their industry peers all while Bob keeps taking in the fruits of their labor for himself as cold hard cash and simultaneously buying new companies to diversify his portfolio against the inevitable downturn.

So yeah, that's my contribution. Please read other reviews to get a more broad perspective before diving into this hell hole. Be advised, just skimming through some of these I see a huge number of suspect five star reviews. While I can't discount the possibility that someone might actually consider Reynolds a five star employer I'm going to go ahead and discount it anyway. Three stars maybe from a generous heart, more likely two from someone who has roughed it in retail, but a lot of those are probably fakes from managers/recruiters. I mean I remember they would sometimes try to solicit us for positive reviews during meetings but clearly their efforts exceed mere requests and move right into fabrication ugh what a sickening thought. As for the seemingly endless supply of interns who can definitely opine on that particular aspect of the Reynolds experience, I highly doubt they have any knowledge of what it is to actually work here for a living, yet just look at how many five star reviews from 2016 come from them...point of fact, the internships are great. The whole thing is a recruitment sales pitch as you would imagine, so they get treated much better than your lowly Reyslave.

Advice to Management

Educate. Agitate. Organize. You want to make more money, have better benefits, enjoy your work environment, and not watch Reynolds get completely sapped of all value by Bob? Then you had better do what your granddaddy did and take what's yours. Or you can do what I did and leave for a better company. Believe me I understand most leaders at Reynolds are Republican mouthpieces who are clearly anti-Labor and boy does it show - I imagine thats by design. In any case, the company would be better off with a union in every respect, except Bob's insatiable desire for more despite actually making it harder for most of his workers to satisfy customers. Better pay/benefits means attracting better talent and retaining them long term, which means better products/service for customers, which means we keep and gain more happy customers, which means more money to create a better product portfolio, maintain it, sell it, and ultimately pay ourselves.

"AWFUL FIRST IMPRESSION"

Pros

Has great potential if you do your research on the company but when you see so many of the same candidates saying the same thing over and over and the higher ups not really caring at all that says A WHOLE LOT right away.

Cons

I didn't like the first impression of the company introduction. When researching other reviews everyone else has been saying the same thing for a long time now and nothing has changed. RED FLAG!

Advice to Management

Get with it.

"A terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got paid a few dollars for the hell I had to put up with

Cons

The company structure is like prison

Full of ridiculous rules and regulations

Monitor everything you do like you're a convict

Pay is a joke

Job is boring with no upward mobility

A bunch of corpses sit on the executive committee that think they are above everyone because they're about to be buried

Advice to Management

You clowns won't last long

"A Terrible Company and a Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid for enduring the nightmare that is the work environment and the company culture and atmosphere

Cons

Each day is a soul sucking ordeal that leaves you drained and angry as you must endure 8 hours of a terrible company with a weird culture and supervision as if you are in a prison/highschool type of environment and they treat their employees as children instead of adults.

The pay is terrible often times over 25% BELOW industry standards, and their interview process is a joke, it's as if they think they're some sort of top company when really they are the scum and dirt of the industry

Advice to Management

There is no advice for you, you are incompetent morons and I look forward to you slowly being phased out and completely removed from the market as your competitors capitalize on your weaknesses and incompetence

"A really difficult place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

there are very, if any, good reasons to work here unless you live locally. Otherwise, there are many other better choices

Cons

-Senior management that shows no indication of appreciating their employees

-Micro/paranoid managing of everything from expense reports to time clocks to when you come and go to even the food you eat in the company cafeteria

-Success not rewarded but failure is severely punished.

-ZERO company culture: more concerned about not getting sued then they are about how do we be excellent.

Advice to Management

the people who work for you are PEOPLE, not nuts and bolts. Treat us like humans not assets to be used and discarded.

"Would not recommend"

Pros

Travel benefits were very good. Benefits overall were good, and the cafeteria and convenience store were nice.

Cons

Micro managed, very dystopian feel to working there. I always felt as if someone was watching me and working there made me anxious.

Advice to Management

Make more of a connection to employees. Don't be so micro managing and don't make everything a bigger deal than it needs to be.

"Technical Assistant Center Hardware Agent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Pros

-Decent job to start a career if you don't mind working for a company that does not care for it's employees, treats them as expendable monkeys, micromanages and oversees constantly, does not appreciate or encourage individual achievement, does not provide raises and actively seeks to manage through marginalizing and degrading it's employee base.

-Adult Mac and Cheese day in the food court.

-Has full, albeit low cost, high deductible, benefits.

-The company does encourage community, offering many group sports leagues, charitable events and company parties throughout. In the hardware position you will not be made to feel a part of any of this as you really made to associate or network outside of your group.

Cons

In case the above noted was not enough, the management team is highly unprofessional. You be acosted and held accountable for any and all mistakes you may make while documenting ticketing while simultaneously being asked to maintain low call times and implementing constantly changing yet never notified about policies. This will occur while management will spend most of their days hanging over you bantering about their sports rosters and their breakfast, yet will actively discourage any conversation among cubical neighbors.

Additionally, the favorites game is played quite hard on this team. If you're a member of the select few then more opportunities come your way. It's not enough to be a hard worker who keeps their head down, you must also constantly stroke the egos of the man-babies who oversee you.

Do not expect to get a raise on the frontline. This company is extremely cheap and refuses to offer competitive wages for Frontline or offer raises to even its best employees. Reviews are structured in a way that they ask you self-evaluate your work, review it, tell you why you're wrong and then ask every... single... employee... to recomplete their self-evaluation reflecting answers with nothing better than "satisfactory" so that no raise can be justified. It becomes blatantly obvious within the first few months of working here how little the CEO of the company cares for his employees and is sponging maximum profits out of the company till he kills it.

This is made more apparently through the customer policies where you are constantly told to basically tell a customer to screw themselves if they don't want to pay the obsurd prices it costs for them to maintain this companies products.

You will not leave hardware. Don't let them lie to you in interviews. If your aspirations are to join hardware and possibly work into a different place in the company, forget it. They completely discourage movement from this department and it simply will not happen.

The interviewing/hiring process is extensive and intensive. You are tested on a broad range of things and it is seriously one of the most difficult and time consuming hiring screens I have been through.

If nothing else, the extremely high turn over rate of this position speaks volumes to the caliber of leadership and employee value.

The list could go on, honestly.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees as if they matter and encourage individual success and achievement, as well as team success.

Stop micromanaging your team and start looking for ways to encourage correct action through better training and leadership.

Management and supervisors should take calls every so often to allow them to view current procedures expected of their team.

Allow employees to actually transfer out of the department if apllicable.

Allow employees to actually put how they feel their performance was on the self-evaluations. I'm not even entirely sure if this is legal, but forcing employees to put what make them put on a self-evaluation is extremely sketchy and highly degrading to their accomplishments.

Stop treating the employees like they're guilty of something.

Find a way to be productive. If most of your day is consumed with pointless water jug banter and sports theory, you need to make better use of your time.

Stop treating employees as if they're expendable and won't be there more than a year and maybe they will be.