Reynolds and Reynolds Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Reynolds and Reynolds Chairman & CEO Bob Brockman
Bob Brockman

Pros
  • Great salary and benefits for the College Station area for an entry level job (in 53 reviews)

• Many company sponsored sports leagues and employee functions (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management it's stuck in the Stone Age (in 61 reviews)

• There is not much room for advancement and limited raises (in 26 reviews)

"It was nice at first, but no promises are upheld. There is little to no upward mobility. You have to suck up to move up."

Current Employee - Software Support in Kettering, OH
    Current Employee - Software Support in Kettering, OH

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are really nice and cheap. They have a lot of events in summer with free food and entertainment.

Cons

You have to be a favorite to get moved to different departments. They don't base it off of performance.

Advice to Management

Base promotions and bonuses off of performance rather than who you makes you laugh.

"Your first job"

Current Employee - Outside Services in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Outside Services in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get paid every two weeks

Cons

Upper management it's stuck in the Stone Age. Their employee handbook is thick and every paragraph ends up with "up to termination" if you go with this probably 90% of the people working there could be fired at any one time. The thing is that people don't get fired unless you test positive for tobacco use. You can carry a loaded weapon at work at any time . It seems that a cigarette it's more dangerous than a loaded gun?
      I've seen people work 10 hrs a week and get paid for 40 hrs for years This is why you are not going to get paid well and why they don't want you to know more than you have to do your job. If you like an environment where moving up means taking it like a slave then this is for you. I recommend get your feet wet and move on or you will regret it latter

Advice to Management

get rid of all management personnel and get people that know how to run a company

"An okay place to learn"

Former Employee - Marketing in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing in Dayton, OH

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

R&R is a steady place of employment. If you're a programmer, it might be a good place to stay a while. But other departments are more or less necessary evils. In Dayton, there are great parties, a picnic in the summer and a ball in the winter. On-site gym. Secure work environment.

Cons

Low pay. If you like starting low and then getting 3% a year no matter what you do, this will be a good place for you. Promotions do not lead to big salary bumps either, if at all.

"UNDERPAID and OVERWORKED-- Software Trainer"

Current Employee - Software Training Specialist in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Software Training Specialist in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros of this job are consistency. I always know what my week will look like. You can work overtime. They have a fair 401k match.

Cons

The pay is one of the worst in the industry. You cannot live in a city with their salaries that are offered. There is NO upward mobility. There are people who have tried to be promoted who have been in the same entry level position for 10 years. There is no tuition reimbursement program. Their retention rate in the software implementation department is near 15% after two years.

Advice to Management

Learn how to value your employees for what they are worth. Your employees do not leave because they are tired of travel. They leave to other travel positions that pay 20,000 more a year starting salary.

6. "Good benefits. But that's about it."

Current Employee - Forms Designer in Kettering, OH
    Current Employee - Forms Designer in Kettering, OH

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The list of benefits are hard to beat. But it only looks good on the surface. Everyone I've spent more that 10 minutes talking to hates working there.

Cons

Overpriced cafeteria, entitled employees, grumpy/judgmental health station staff, everyone always looks miserable... I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Lied to about what my job was going to be.

"When they know you won't fight back..."

Former Employee - Software Implementation Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Implementation Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time

Pros

-6% Roth/Regular 401k contribution, matched at 100%
    -Good lower management
    -(Position specific) Travel
    -Product which is superior to competition
    -Hire people with bad majors but good test scores

Cons

-401k match vested 0% until 2 years
    -Illegal rules (don't discuss your pay, don't look for other jobs, non-compete which you aren't paid for is non-binding in Texas)
    -Strict rules (tobacco policy without options, archaic dress code and handbook)
    -Extremely conservative atmosphere with little room for disagreement
    -Horrible Houston office is difficult to work in
    -Infrequently and poorly updated internal information
    -Lower compensation than competitors
    -Ostensibly encourage innovation but only as a way to improve morale. No suggestions will be listened to and good suggestions are often met with vitriolic emails explaining that the company does not actually care what lower employees think
    -Bonuses are either non-existent or so small they're practically insults. $15 or $20 for a good review on a week long job, which you're told to beg the customer for. Ludicrous.
    -I was told I was doing a good job and that no customer had ever complained about me less than a month before I was fired with immaterial reasons.
    -If this is the only "real job" you can get to hire you, realize that you are there for a year or two of abuse/experience and that after that you will move on to another job. It's not a good place to go but if it's all you have, it will work for a while. The employees work to make it manageable but the corporate attitude and internal rules are truly invasive and awful.
    -Management nickle-and-dimes you with expense reports. You can never tell when they're going to be lenient and when they're going to say no to something that they've approved in the past.
    -They're sticklers for rules even at their own cost. On more than one occasion I offered to save them hundreds of dollars if I got approval to drive instead of fly but they refused.
    -Rumors that business is slim were going around at work when I left recently

Advice to Management

Really there's nothing lower/middle management can do. Upper management needs to figure out that they have actual human beings employed and that they shouldn't have rules that are illegal power plays. The kind of company who fires people over nothing when they intend to lay them off is not the kind of company people want to work for. Be the kind of company people want to work for.

"CYA and keep good personal records."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kettering, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kettering, OH

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours. Decent benefits. Great base pay. Facilities for food excessive and healthcare on site makes it a great campus.

Cons

Cutthroat. Also really high turnover in entry-level positions. Management is not open to productive suggestions if it differs from their own opinions.

Advice to Management

Realize how you are being perceived by your employees and try to make it a more fulfilling experience.

"Mechanical, Robotic, and Critical"

Former Employee - POWER Software Support Consultant in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - POWER Software Support Consultant in College Station, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, Community involvement and cafe on site

Cons

Bad management, poor direction, lack of responsibility from supervisors

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great training program
    -Industry leader lets you walk into and dealership with immediate name recognition

Cons

-If it's not a Reynolds dealer, the name recognition is often negative (sometimes even if it is a customer)
    -The culture between home office and field sales is very odd and can drive a lot of people out

Advice to Management

You're a tech company, start acting like it.

"Dayton Office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kettering, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kettering, OH

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay you money. The dental plan is actually one of the best you can get. I had no wait period to have my root canal/crown covered.

The facilities are fairly nice. The on site health center is incredibly convenient and visits are cheap/free depending on your HSA. And the free gym is good.

They match 401k contributions up to 6% but you're not vested until 2 years.

Cons

I can basically assure you it really is as bad as people say. I chose not to believe it and now I'm trying to leave just 8 months in, instead of the 1-2 year goal I'd set.

The only health plan is high deductible. If you get the discount (which is easy to get, you just have to pretend to the health center that you tried) it's really cheap but you still have to deal with the 2500 deductible before you get good coverage.

They definitely underpay most of their employees. And they're constantly cycling through new recruits.

It might just be my department but there is actually a distinct sexual harassment problem. Many people on my team and on other teams in my department find it completely OK to make overtly sexual jokes about me and sometimes including my boyfriend. Even recently my supervisor made a blatantly sexual joke about me and then explained the joke to me to make sure I got it. And this company somehow gets away with not having an HR department so I'm expected to report sexual harassment to my supervisor. If I go over my supervisor's head I have to explicitly explain why before they'll even take it seriously.

Advice to Management

Maybe follow sexual harassment policy!? Don't make sexual jokes about your employees? Get a damn HR so employees feel like they can report these things.