Reynolds and Reynolds Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 13, 2017

Reynolds and Reynolds Chairman & CEO Bob Brockman
Bob Brockman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great salary and benefits for the College Station area for an entry level job (in 53 reviews)

• Many company sponsored sports leagues and employee functions (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Very high turnover rate due to lower than average salary and benefits (in 35 reviews)

• Upper management it's stuck in the Stone Age (in 62 reviews)

"Not the best, not the worst"

Former Employee - Computer Programmer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Computer Programmer in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're in, there's a lot of camaraderie and a lot of activities outside of work. It feels like a club

Cons

It's who you know that advances you. It feels like a club where you have some members who are in and some who are there to pay the bills

Advice to Management

Update and innovate

2. "Contract Administrator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a very fast-paced work environment with opportunity for growth.

Cons

The office politics can get overwhelming at times. Management is not the most effective at handling these situations.

3. "Perfect for entry level"

Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great location
    Good benefits
    Perfect for starting career
    Full gym and cafeteria

Cons

Varies per department, some have high turnovers, some have work that isn't remotely compensated for properly, etc.
    Career opportunities in IT are very lackluster.

"It all depends on what you are looking for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Insurance is very cheap ($10/bi-weekly paycheck for myself and children) as long as you do not get sick. The insurance will cover wellness visits, immunizations, etc. at full cost but if you get sick or have routine medications it can get pricey as the deductible to hit is quite high. Since neither I nor my son got sick very often it was worth it, but for others...it just depends. You cannot smoke at Reynolds & Reynolds (more on the irony later) which drives down the cost.
    -401(k): Up to 6% match was FANTASTIC! I do not know of many companies that will match dollar for dollar to this extent anymore. When I began at Reynolds & Reynolds, they used Fidelity Investments (well known, reputable) for their retirement plan and had many options. By the time I left, they were using Empower Retirement (and had changed 1 other time in between) and the options were not as good nor as many. The mutual funds available are not bad but they were better when I started. If you work for Reynolds & Reynolds definitely take advantage of the matching option.
    -Workout facility onsite: The gym at Reynolds & Reynolds is just about as good as you would get at any pay-to-use facility. With an hour lunch break you can take aerobic classes, lift weights, utilize cardio equipment, or go outside and play basketball/volleyball/jog. There is nothing bad about this benefit.
    -Dining Facility: If you don't like to pack your lunch you can eat in the cafeteria. The food is pretty good for the price and the cost comes out of your check pre-tax and provides great networking opportunities.
    -Great place for young professionals to gain real-world experience. Reynolds & Reynolds will hire almost anyone with a college degree (more on this item later). If you have a bachelor's degree in truly any subject they can find a place for you.
    -Associates are really nice and easy to work with. The majority of the work-force at Reynolds & Reynolds are entry level (like almost any company). The people at this level in every department are wonderful to work with. In my time at Reynolds & Reynolds I witnessed very few situations of workplace tension between associates (associates-management different story...more later). If you work for Reynolds & Reynolds you will work with great coworkers who are probably also just starting out in their careers and you can make longtime friends and have a plethora of people to lean on for assistance/guidance.
    -Lower management does care. Reynolds & Reynolds is "headquartered" in Dayton but almost all of the senior management is in Houston. Of the 7 (yes, there are that many) levels between myself and the Chairman, only 2 were in Dayton. The lower management in my department was great. They were always willing to help out where they could and as long as you were willing to learn, they were willing to teach. They created a very warm, family-type environment in my department. Anytime there was a wedding, childbirth there would be a small celebration, and a thoughtful sympathy card for any loss of family. Reynolds & Reynolds would not be able to survive without these individuals.
    -Social functions are the best-around. Reynolds & Reynolds associates have the opportunity to participate in cornhole tournaments, softball/volleyball/soccer/card game/ bowling leagues, Battle of the Businesses (which they win almost every year). The Christmas party is great every year. There are too many social functions to list them all. If you are looking for something to do I can almost guarantee there is something going on at Reynolds each evening. If you are an aspiring alcoholic, Reynolds & Reynolds is the place for you. Every social function brings with it the opportunity to drink as much beer as you can consume (now or later...take some with you...no one checks IDs or inebriation levels before you drive off). There is always several large coolers filled with beer at every function (but don't you dare smoke).

Overall, if you are looking for professional work experience Reynolds & Reynolds can provide that for you. They are well known in the Dayton-area and can add a boost to your professional resume.

Cons

-Great place for young professionals to gain real-world experience. Reynolds & Reynolds will hire almost anyone with a college degree (sound familiar?). In order to be hired at Reynolds & Reynolds you must pass a series of computer-based tests (math, logic, etc.). If you can score high enough you pretty much have the job, but the necessary score is quite high. While this ensures that everyone working at Reynolds & Reynolds has the potential for high-level aptitude, it does not guarantee 2 things: common sense or work ethic. Many of my coworkers came to work at Reynolds & Reynolds straight from their college graduation, often without so much as high school fast food experience. This too often created coworkers who did not know what work ethic is, creating a harder work environment for those who do, and leads to a high turnover rate among new associates. So if you are a prospective employee and have had significant work experience, Reynolds & Reynolds can use you. Just be prepared for who comes next, because they may be smart, but they'll likely be immature (both professionally and personally).
    -Pay Range: Reynolds & Reynolds relies on new associates as the backbone of the company, because they can be paid less. If you are a prospective employee, be aware...you will make less than the market average. If you have the fortune to move up significantly in the company you could make a good salary, but odds are good that you won't (more later). Reynolds & Reynolds has a series of internal "certifications" that are available to you as an opportunity to make more money. Each certification brings with it a $600/year salary increase and an additional $2,400/year if you pass 4 of them. However, you must score a 90 on the exam to pass, can only take it once per month, the material to study is vastly outdated, the questions are often misleading or worded poorly, and are never reviewed. At the time of my departure, only 1 person on my 20-person team had passed a single cert test. However, we received occasional e-mails from our VP reminding us that once we passed 4 we could afford a new car (more on him later).
    -Upward mobility is almost non-existent at Reynolds & Reynolds. As I alluded to earlier, there are 7 layers of management (but very few at each level, and almost all are in Houston). So since upper management almost never sees you in Dayton (more later) they won't know who you are, so you will likely not move up very high. For my 20 person team, there were 3 supervisors, and 1 manager. In order to move up to supervisor, a supervisor must leave or move up (most don't once they are promoted) and it must be within your current team (rarely are people promoted across departments...again...more later). It really is all about timing. If you happen to be the most senior on the team when a supervisor spot opens up, you have a high chance at promotion. However, if all the supervisors are only a year or 2 older than you, odds are good that they will not be leaving and you will not ever get a chance at a promotion.
    -Lateral mobility is almost non-existent as well. If during your time at Reynolds & Reynolds you work with people from other departments and determine that their department may be a better fit for you it is unlikely that you will be allowed to transfer. During my time at Reynolds & Reynolds, I requested a transfer to a specific different department 3 times. The department I wanted to transfer to was under a different VP than my current department so it had to go through the proper channels. Despite being signed off on each time by the requesting department, my VP blocked it each time. There was never an explanation given, not even a chance to discuss it (more on this VP later). So if you get hired on at Reynolds & Reynolds talk to anyone you know there first, because wherever you land, is going to be your permanent home.
    -Upper management (Houston) is out of touch with the regular associates. The best example I can give is about the VP of my department. In the 3.5 years I worked for Reynolds & Reynolds I spoke to the man 1 time, exactly 1 week before I left the company. I was in the restroom and he came up and asked me how my day was going (all while trying to relieve myself) and how long I had been with Reynolds & Reynolds. I responded that I was great since I put in my notice a week ago, but that I was glad that he knew who I was considering I had been denied a transfer by him 3 times and was a main factor in my departure. Upper management comes to town only 1 or 2 times a year, so they never really get to know what is going on at the Associate level. Yet, they create new plans and send the directives down to lower management to implement with no real firm implementation plan. This leaves the associates frustrated on how to do their jobs, and lower management stuck having to toe the company line and answer questions they don't know the answer to. The only time the Chairman (Bob) comes to town is the company birthday party, where he will tell the same story he did last year about how the tradition started with a barbecue picnic and someone told him to get up and say a few words (I think I have the story memorized after just 4 rounds of it). Bob will also regale you with his yearly stories of how the liberals are ruining the country, and how his $6 million in donations won the election for Donald Trump.
    -Redundancy for redundancy's sake reigns supreme. When completing any task at Reynolds & Reynolds, documentation is everything. So much so that it is required numerous times. You must first document within your department's software what you did, who you spoke to, and how you will follow-up. Then you must fill-out a checklist, initialing and dating each step that you completed, print it out, and file it appropriately for 6 months after completion for internal auditing purposes as a hardcopy (just in case). Following that you must then document on another software program how long that task took you to complete. 1 task=3 levels of documentation.
    -Alcohol consumption at social functions will one day lead to Reynolds & Reynolds getting sued. If you like to drink Reynolds & Reynolds is great. They will have as much alcohol as you can drink or take home with you at every single function. What is ironic is that at a company where you cannot smoke (they random drug-test monthly) or have non-diet soda, you can consume as much regular beer as you can guzzle down. There is no one who checks IDs (there are always interns at Reynolds & Reynolds under 21), or to make sure that people are sober enough to drive. I really hope nobody ever gets killed because a Reynolds & Reynolds employee had too much at a social function (and there are many who get their fill each time) and got in their car to drive home.
    -Diversity is a four-letter word at Reynolds & Reynolds. If you are not white, you are not welcome. In my 60 member department, there were 2 that were not white, and that's on par with all other departments. There are TVs throughout the buildings, but the only available viewing options are Fox News or a blank screen (this includes in the gym, because political news always gets me motivated to pump iron). If you have an alternative view point or ideology, you will keep it to yourself, or else be told this is not the best opportunity for you.

Advice to Management

My advice to lower management is to keep up the good work. The associates know that most of the problems are not your fault and you are doing your best. My advice to upper management is to actually listen to the suggestions of those beneath you. They may be young but they're the ones doing the work.

"Hardware Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Hardware Support Specialist in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Hardware Support Specialist in Dayton, OH

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great group of peers to work with. Training is very beneficial, especially in a one on one learning environment.

Cons

There is quite a bit of micro-management. The pay is quite low with little opportunity for advancement within and outside of the department.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be less invasive. No personal belongings allowed on desks or eating lunch at your desk was allowed. Too many restrictions and a strict atmosphere really dampen the employee's desire to succeed and stay with the company.

"Good training for entry level, but few opportunities for advancement."

Current Employee - Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to begin a career or start a new one, as they offer full training to do the job. They only hire for entry level, so they hire expecting to invest in training.

Cons

They really don't offer much incentive to stay once the vesting period is over. Don't expect any bonuses or good chances to move up unless you happen to be in the right place at the right time. Raises are pretty limited, too.

Advice to Management

Rather than focusing all the time on hiring and training new people, consider investing more in keeping the people who are already there. That requires spending some more money and making sure current employees are made aware of advancement opportunities wherever they exist. The company has interesting offerings, good products, and is well positioned in the industry. Give your employees more reasons to stick with you instead of waving them out the back door in a flood.

"Okay Starting Point"

Former Employee - Part Time in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Part Time in College Station, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make your own schedule. Flexible around college courses.

Cons

Management is not the best. Not the greatest compensation. Very little opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Consider making the culture more professional.

"Technical support"

Current Employee - Technical Support in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support in College Station, TX

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job security and low level management.

Cons

Low average pay for field.

9. "Research and Development"

Former Employee - Technical Service Representative/Research and Development in College Station, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible schedule and friendly employees.

Cons

Very limited workload and low salary

"Entry Level Software Developer - I Resigned Once I Found Something Better..."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All the pros I've listed may be specific to my position, or my team, or my department and may not extend to other positions, teams, or departments within the company.
    -Flexible work environment (my department had core hours between 10 to 3 so you could adjust your 8 hour work day however you wanted as long as you were there for the core hours).
    -I got my own office! (no cubicles ftw!)
    -Self-paced work environment.
    -They have a cafeteria.
    -They train you (although their training consists of material you should've covered in college).
    -I worked alongside a pleasant and understanding team.
    -They have a quite a few extracurricular activities for their employees (Bowling, Softball, Picnics, etc.).
    -If you get there early enough, you can park within a garage

Cons

Before I start listing any cons, I want to mention that I did not list any of the cons out of anger and I was truly grateful to Reynolds for offering me a position after graduation. That being said...
    -Below average pay (I was paid 48k, when a entry level software developer salary is around 55k to 60k).
    -They have a policy prohibiting employees from discussing their salary with other employees. This only benefits the company by withholding information from the employee about whether their peer in making considerably more for the same work (search 'Adam Ruins Everything Salary' on YouTube).
    -Business Casual dress code (I considered this a con, but maybe it isn't to everybody).
    -Aside from salads, the cafeteria isn't very vegetarian friendly.
    -No paid vacation during your first year.
    -You get 2 unexcused paid sick days plus an additional 3 sick days, where a doctor's note must be provided.
    -You can't smoke ever, they test for nicotine when they drug test you (As a non-smoker, I actually considered this a pro but I don't think a company has the right to make this decision on your behalf).
    -I only worked here until I found something better but the benefits weren't great from what I saw
    -You have to stay with the company for 2 years before you become fully-vested with the 6% company matched 401k but you can start contributing to it right away
    -There didn't seem to be much you could do to improve your skill set with the company (This should definitely be a priority for a new graduate).

Advice to Management

At least pay your employees, the average starting salary for their position. You claim to recruit the best employees, but you can't possibly hope be able to retain them, nor should you expect to, by paying only 75% of what they deserve.

Showing 233 of 1,021 reviews