Reynolds and Reynolds "high turnover rate" Reviews | Glassdoor

Reynolds and Reynolds Employee Reviews about "high turnover rate"

Updated Oct 2, 2019

3.5
Reynolds and Reynolds CEO Bob Brockman
Bob Brockman
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management expects rules to be followed that are not followed by themselves(in 70 reviews)

• "They have a high turnover rate due to their strict policies and underpayment(in 45 reviews)

Reviews about "high turnover rate"

Return to all Reviews

"System Administrator"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are several opportunities to network with different departments at work sponsored events. The people are connected like a community and really get involved in the community. Several in house training programs to assist with personal career development.

Cons

It is hard to keep up with who works where with the high turnover rate in different departments. Re-organization of different departments leads to frustration and lowers morale in associates.

Advice to Management

Ensure to relay your expectations to any associate that appears to be under performing. An individual will lose morale when he is unable to meet expectations due to not understanding the full scope of their position.

Reynolds and Reynolds2018-12-01
  2. "N/A"

Current Employee - Customer Account Services Representative in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Entry level position availability, company training, friendly atmosphere, job security, networking opportunities, associate recognition programs, social events

Cons

Low rate of pay, minimal promotion opportunities, high turnover rate

Reynolds and Reynolds2019-10-02
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Good developmental experience"

Current Employee - Field Service Dispatch

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, not much of a culture

Cons

High turnover rate, non flexible schedules

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with schedules, get rid of on-call

Reynolds and Reynolds2019-07-15

"Luck of the Draw: Inconsistent Department Management"

Former Employee - Bench Technician in College Station, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds part-time

Pros

There are a few nice people in the workforce who are easy to get along with

Cons

Management is almost non-existent. Different teams are forced to work side by side for a variety of projects, but certain managers make working in a team environment unbearable. All employees are forced to log their specific work time and work type by the minute; anything less than 85% efficiency is a red flag, and you also have to have a high percentage (i.e. >90%) of your repaired units pass inspection or... you can be fired. Really, though, everything is dependent on your management. If you have a stickler boss, you are expected to work in absolute silence (they'll move your workstation if you become friends with the employees near you), you're expected to exceed 100% efficiency (read: no bathroom breaks), you're not allowed to listen to music, you're not allowed to check your phone for the time, and any time that you spent away from your workstation (whether it's going to get parts or asking someone a question), is subject to inquiry. They'll check your workstation for 'stolen' goods such as pencils, pens, and highlighters, because you're not allowed to have more than 1 of each, and you are told they'll check your pockets or purse if they think you're taking home anything. (Also, the pens are cheap and worthless, so I don't know why they're paranoid people will steal them.) The only way to get in or out of different parts of the building is by using your keycard, and they'll track you with it. They're continually monitoring where you went and how long you were there. Stepped out in the hallway to go to the bathroom? Better hope you can make it there and back in under three minutes. Yep, three minutes. They also get upset if you try to move to another unit. Switching around within the company shouldn't be such a big problem, but it is. Certain units have high turnover rates, and if you're there they won't let you leave. If you want to escape you'll just have to quit. I'm pretty sure they are doing illegal things with breaks, because I'd have to work 6+ hours without a break, and even then it's unpaid. Some of the team leads are micromanagers who follow you around like hawks, and they'll badger you about taking a break if you do. If I wanted to eat, I'd have to find somewhere to hide and do it quickly, before I was caught. There's basically no upward mobility or pay incentive for anyone to perform well. I had a 150%+ efficiency rate (since I was dehydrated and didn't stop to go to the bathroom and just worked nonstop while I was there), and I although I was given a 'gold star' during my monthly check-in, I wasn't offered even a penny an hour more. Even then, they still griped at me for daring to use the bathroom or go get water. Honestly, I'd rather mow lawns than work here ever again.

Reynolds and Reynolds2019-02-06
  6. "Good benefits, but more work than what you're paid for..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits (Insurance), Cafeteria, Holiday Party

Cons

High turnover, workload distribution, favoritism

Advice to Management

Great benefits (the health insurance is pretty great and extremely low cost), and opportunities for pay increases twice a year. Doing good work is rewarded with more work, and any bonuses given usually go to the same people. Not much room for growth there.

Reynolds and Reynolds2018-12-17

"Don't recommend"

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time

Pros

This job is great for part-time. The pay for part time is decent and you gain a lot of great work experience. Pretty flexible schedules. I worked part-time while in school for almost 3 years before going full-time.

Cons

The pay is absolutely terrible. $28K a year is not a sufficient enough income. The raises are a joke. The raises are distributed from a pool of money and not based on your hard work. Opportunity for raises is twice a year for the first 2 years and then it goes down to one raise a year. So, the longer you work there, the less chances you get for a raise. There is also a salary cap, so you can't make more than $35K... unless you get promoted. Promotions are also impossible unless you kiss butt. The culture at Reynolds is not a great one. There's too much focus on the rules and policies rather than the happiness of the employees. Conversation that isn't work related is strictly prohibited. Phones can't be out unless it's an emergency. There's a high turnover rate. There is no appreciation for employees; we're all replaceable. You can work hard and produce great work, but you won't get acknowledged and appreciated because it's your job to do your best.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees. Pay better. Create more opportunities for advancement within the company. If you do those things, you MIGHT lower your turnover rate.

Reynolds and Reynolds2018-06-05

"Great Pay for Part-time; Full-time: AVOID AT ALL COSTS"

Former Employee - Equipment Control Trainee in College Station, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds part-time for less than a year

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed the employees I worked with. Part-time pay is $11 an hour, which is not bad for a full-time college student. I have heard from former interns that their internship program is actually quite enriching (and great for finding jobs elsewhere).

Cons

- Management is incompetent. - Typically managers have been there for 15+ years, and there are almost no opportunities for moving up the ladder. - They historically underpay their employees. Buyers and software engineers typically make $50k and $70k a year starting out. Reynolds pays these two positions an average of $32k and $48k annually. These two positions requiring university degrees are just examples. If... you apply for a position full-time and ask for anything more than what they pay, they will automatically decline your application. They won't even notify you of the pay they offer and give you a chance to accept that (likely because it is so low). - They have a high turnover rate due to their strict policies and underpayment. The average career life for an employee is two years. - Every policy screams, "We cut corners and we're cheap." They are nicotine-free (and test regularly) and only have diet products in vending machines to keep insurance costs down. There are no decorations or any investments into the aesthetics of the building; it's extremely bland. They rave about their on-site gym and cafeteria which is nothing more than motel-level quality. Did I mention how badly they underpay their employees? - You better not have nothing to do, because they will certainly find some menial task for you to complete just to keep you busy. Glancing at your phone to check the time? Be prepared to get a harsh verbal reminder about phone usage at the desk.

Advice to Management

- Don't accept the resignation of a part-time employee effective immediately when they are being polite and submitting a two-week notice. I was not the only part-time employee submitting a two-week notice who experienced this. - Loosen up. Sometimes, there is absolutely nothing to do, especially in Equipment Control. Don't make up tasks to keep us busy. It's insulting.

Reynolds and Reynolds2018-04-20

"Great for college students or temps"

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Associate in College Station, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds part-time

Pros

R&R does a great job at trying to care for their workers through cafeteria services and in-house gyms.

Cons

They rely on a high turnover rate and will randomly lay off part time workers when a contact is complete, just to hire them back a few months later for essentially the same job.

Advice to Management

Listen to restraints a new hire is - if they have a bad back, don't put them in shipping and receiving.

Reynolds and Reynolds2017-08-31

"It all depends on what you are looking for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Insurance is very cheap ($10/bi-weekly paycheck for myself and children) as long as you do not get sick. The insurance will cover wellness visits, immunizations, etc. at full cost but if you get sick or have routine medications it can get pricey as the deductible to hit is quite high. Since neither I nor my son got sick very often it was worth it, but for others...it just depends. You cannot smoke at Reynolds &... Reynolds (more on the irony later) which drives down the cost. -401(k): Up to 6% match was FANTASTIC! I do not know of many companies that will match dollar for dollar to this extent anymore. When I began at Reynolds & Reynolds, they used Fidelity Investments (well known, reputable) for their retirement plan and had many options. By the time I left, they were using Empower Retirement (and had changed 1 other time in between) and the options were not as good nor as many. The mutual funds available are not bad but they were better when I started. If you work for Reynolds & Reynolds definitely take advantage of the matching option. -Workout facility onsite: The gym at Reynolds & Reynolds is just about as good as you would get at any pay-to-use facility. With an hour lunch break you can take aerobic classes, lift weights, utilize cardio equipment, or go outside and play basketball/volleyball/jog. There is nothing bad about this benefit. -Dining Facility: If you don't like to pack your lunch you can eat in the cafeteria. The food is pretty good for the price and the cost comes out of your check pre-tax and provides great networking opportunities. -Great place for young professionals to gain real-world experience. Reynolds & Reynolds will hire almost anyone with a college degree (more on this item later). If you have a bachelor's degree in truly any subject they can find a place for you. -Associates are really nice and easy to work with. The majority of the work-force at Reynolds & Reynolds are entry level (like almost any company). The people at this level in every department are wonderful to work with. In my time at Reynolds & Reynolds I witnessed very few situations of workplace tension between associates (associates-management different story...more later). If you work for Reynolds & Reynolds you will work with great coworkers who are probably also just starting out in their careers and you can make longtime friends and have a plethora of people to lean on for assistance/guidance. -Lower management does care. Reynolds & Reynolds is "headquartered" in Dayton but almost all of the senior management is in Houston. Of the 7 (yes, there are that many) levels between myself and the Chairman, only 2 were in Dayton. The lower management in my department was great. They were always willing to help out where they could and as long as you were willing to learn, they were willing to teach. They created a very warm, family-type environment in my department. Anytime there was a wedding, childbirth there would be a small celebration, and a thoughtful sympathy card for any loss of family. Reynolds & Reynolds would not be able to survive without these individuals. -Social functions are the best-around. Reynolds & Reynolds associates have the opportunity to participate in cornhole tournaments, softball/volleyball/soccer/card game/ bowling leagues, Battle of the Businesses (which they win almost every year). The Christmas party is great every year. There are too many social functions to list them all. If you are looking for something to do I can almost guarantee there is something going on at Reynolds each evening. If you are an aspiring alcoholic, Reynolds & Reynolds is the place for you. Every social function brings with it the opportunity to drink as much beer as you can consume (now or later...take some with you...no one checks IDs or inebriation levels before you drive off). There is always several large coolers filled with beer at every function (but don't you dare smoke). Overall, if you are looking for professional work experience Reynolds & Reynolds can provide that for you. They are well known in the Dayton-area and can add a boost to your professional resume.

Cons

-Great place for young professionals to gain real-world experience. Reynolds & Reynolds will hire almost anyone with a college degree (sound familiar?). In order to be hired at Reynolds & Reynolds you must pass a series of computer-based tests (math, logic, etc.). If you can score high enough you pretty much have the job, but the necessary score is quite high. While this ensures that everyone working at Reynolds &... Reynolds has the potential for high-level aptitude, it does not guarantee 2 things: common sense or work ethic. Many of my coworkers came to work at Reynolds & Reynolds straight from their college graduation, often without so much as high school fast food experience. This too often created coworkers who did not know what work ethic is, creating a harder work environment for those who do, and leads to a high turnover rate among new associates. So if you are a prospective employee and have had significant work experience, Reynolds & Reynolds can use you. Just be prepared for who comes next, because they may be smart, but they'll likely be immature (both professionally and personally). -Pay Range: Reynolds & Reynolds relies on new associates as the backbone of the company, because they can be paid less. If you are a prospective employee, be aware...you will make less than the market average. If you have the fortune to move up significantly in the company you could make a good salary, but odds are good that you won't (more later). Reynolds & Reynolds has a series of internal "certifications" that are available to you as an opportunity to make more money. Each certification brings with it a $600/year salary increase and an additional $2,400/year if you pass 4 of them. However, you must score a 90 on the exam to pass, can only take it once per month, the material to study is vastly outdated, the questions are often misleading or worded poorly, and are never reviewed. At the time of my departure, only 1 person on my 20-person team had passed a single cert test. However, we received occasional e-mails from our VP reminding us that once we passed 4 we could afford a new car (more on him later). -Upward mobility is almost non-existent at Reynolds & Reynolds. As I alluded to earlier, there are 7 layers of management (but very few at each level, and almost all are in Houston). So since upper management almost never sees you in Dayton (more later) they won't know who you are, so you will likely not move up very high. For my 20 person team, there were 3 supervisors, and 1 manager. In order to move up to supervisor, a supervisor must leave or move up (most don't once they are promoted) and it must be within your current team (rarely are people promoted across departments...again...more later). It really is all about timing. If you happen to be the most senior on the team when a supervisor spot opens up, you have a high chance at promotion. However, if all the supervisors are only a year or 2 older than you, odds are good that they will not be leaving and you will not ever get a chance at a promotion. -Lateral mobility is almost non-existent as well. If during your time at Reynolds & Reynolds you work with people from other departments and determine that their department may be a better fit for you it is unlikely that you will be allowed to transfer. During my time at Reynolds & Reynolds, I requested a transfer to a specific different department 3 times. The department I wanted to transfer to was under a different VP than my current department so it had to go through the proper channels. Despite being signed off on each time by the requesting department, my VP blocked it each time. There was never an explanation given, not even a chance to discuss it (more on this VP later). So if you get hired on at Reynolds & Reynolds talk to anyone you know there first, because wherever you land, is going to be your permanent home. -Upper management (Houston) is out of touch with the regular associates. The best example I can give is about the VP of my department. In the 3.5 years I worked for Reynolds & Reynolds I spoke to the man 1 time, exactly 1 week before I left the company. I was in the restroom and he came up and asked me how my day was going (all while trying to relieve myself) and how long I had been with Reynolds & Reynolds. I responded that I was great since I put in my notice a week ago, but that I was glad that he knew who I was considering I had been denied a transfer by him 3 times and was a main factor in my departure. Upper management comes to town only 1 or 2 times a year, so they never really get to know what is going on at the Associate level. Yet, they create new plans and send the directives down to lower management to implement with no real firm implementation plan. This leaves the associates frustrated on how to do their jobs, and lower management stuck having to toe the company line and answer questions they don't know the answer to. The only time the Chairman (Bob) comes to town is the company birthday party, where he will tell the same story he did last year about how the tradition started with a barbecue picnic and someone told him to get up and say a few words (I think I have the story memorized after just 4 rounds of it). Bob will also regale you with his yearly stories of how the liberals are ruining the country, and how his $6 million in donations won the election for Donald Trump. -Redundancy for redundancy's sake reigns supreme. When completing any task at Reynolds & Reynolds, documentation is everything. So much so that it is required numerous times. You must first document within your department's software what you did, who you spoke to, and how you will follow-up. Then you must fill-out a checklist, initialing and dating each step that you completed, print it out, and file it appropriately for 6 months after completion for internal auditing purposes as a hardcopy (just in case). Following that you must then document on another software program how long that task took you to complete. 1 task=3 levels of documentation. -Alcohol consumption at social functions will one day lead to Reynolds & Reynolds getting sued. If you like to drink Reynolds & Reynolds is great. They will have as much alcohol as you can drink or take home with you at every single function. What is ironic is that at a company where you cannot smoke (they random drug-test monthly) or have non-diet soda, you can consume as much regular beer as you can guzzle down. There is no one who checks IDs (there are always interns at Reynolds & Reynolds under 21), or to make sure that people are sober enough to drive. I really hope nobody ever gets killed because a Reynolds & Reynolds employee had too much at a social function (and there are many who get their fill each time) and got in their car to drive home. -Diversity is a four-letter word at Reynolds & Reynolds. If you are not white, you are not welcome. In my 60 member department, there were 2 that were not white, and that's on par with all other departments. There are TVs throughout the buildings, but the only available viewing options are Fox News or a blank screen (this includes in the gym, because political news always gets me motivated to pump iron). If you have an alternative view point or ideology, you will keep it to yourself, or else be told this is not the best opportunity for you.

Advice to Management

My advice to lower management is to keep up the good work. The associates know that most of the problems are not your fault and you are doing your best. My advice to upper management is to actually listen to the suggestions of those beneath you. They may be young but they're the ones doing the work.

Reynolds and Reynolds2017-02-27

"Good company"

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds part-time

Pros

Great employees, not a difficult job

Cons

Management very old fashioned, high turnover

Reynolds and Reynolds2017-03-04