Rhode Island School of Design Reviews | Glassdoor

John Maeda

1. "Very fair"

Former Employee - Textile Technicians Assistant in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Textile Technicians Assistant in Providence, RI

I worked at Rhode Island School of Design part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I Learned a significant skill set as a technician's assistant that I feel would help any person seeking to be a studio assistant or intern.

Cons

I was paid minimum wage while I was there and the work was definitely physically intensive, involving a lot of scrubbing and elbow grease.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to further the educational reach of the position by teaching students how to fix looms and knitting machines in addition to other skills.

2. "Good Job"

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Providence, RI

I have been working at Rhode Island School of Design part-time (More than a year)

Pros

access to studios, learn a lot about machines.

Cons

need to be trained more to be truly helpful.

Advice to Management

teach more.

3. "Part-Time Instructor"

Former Employee - Instructor in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Instructor in Providence, RI

I worked at Rhode Island School of Design (More than 10 years)

Pros

Students at RISD are some of the most dedicated and talented around. Teaching them was personally rewarding.

Cons

I did not experience any negatives in my short contract.

Advice to Management

None

5. "GIS technician and graphic designer"

Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant Advisor in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant Advisor in Providence, RI

I worked at Rhode Island School of Design (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment and amazing co-workers. Working with students was challenging while able to boost your capability. Workload can be huge and deadlines can be moved ahead. But after worked in RISD, you are generally capable to handle any work environment in the design industry.

Cons

Time management is horrible sometime.

"Good People, Chaos"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Providence, RI

I have been working at Rhode Island School of Design full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of nice co-workers, fairly tolerant environment for minorities, gender-queer, artists, freaks in general. Dress code usually casual. Pay is decent, benefits quite good.

Cons

Disorganization. Systems that are tied in knots. Faculty that make busy-work. Higher-level admins sometimes have an attitude problem, think they are special, and are paid too much to do sometimes very little. This leaves lower-level admins feeling under-valued. As with many places, those at low end of totem pole must sometimes show leadership and initiative beyond their pay grade. Can be very clique-ish.

Advice to Management

Lead. Focus on the actual minutia of running a school, a lot of which is not particularly interesting but makes for a nice environment when done properly. Stop focusing on glamorous-seeming projects that may amount to nothing and gain the school neither income nor prestige in the long run. Nuts and bolts, people.

7. "Work study"

Current Employee - Work Study Tour Guide in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Work Study Tour Guide in Providence, RI

I have been working at Rhode Island School of Design part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a student at RISD but I've also done some work study programs. They treat us well, paying like $12.30 an hour to give tours of the school. RISD is very generous with what they pay us and many of their other employees.

Cons

There are some minor feuds between major departments and it somehow makes some of the other part time and some full time workers in unions believe that they are underpaid when they are really making much more than anyone else would pay them for the same work.

Advice to Management

It would be great if we could stop having strikes at school because it's getting in the way of my education and I'm not paying tuition so I can have my classes cancelled.

8. "Watermark, Fleet Library"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I worked at Rhode Island School of Design (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a good sense of community amongst the workers who don't hesitate to help you out. Managers are also friendly, giving critiques as to what to do when I do something wrong. One of the best things about the Fleet Library is that you can come across books that you've never seen before and find many things to catch your interest.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to find a shift to make enough money, though one could say the same for any job. Even more difficult when you're a student.

9. "First Impressions Officer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I worked at Rhode Island School of Design part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for RISD was a great experience. The staff was very friendly and working there was very fun and a great experience as a student at the time.

Cons

Often times there were no jobs or work given to me at the office so I would have nothing to do but refresh the email page over and over for an entire day.

Advice to Management

I would recommend trusting student employees with more small jobs or responsibilities around the office.

10. "Work hard, work fast, amazing people"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Providence, RI

I worked at Rhode Island School of Design full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a super creative environment. The staff is very focused on making it a great place for the students. People are passionate about their work. Overall, it is a very supportive community. My manager cared a lot about me and my growth as a person and professional. Summers are low-key, which is good because work during the school year is very intense.

Cons

Compensation was on the low side (especially compared to neighboring Brown) and I worked more hours than I would have liked.

Advice to Management

I don't have any-- the college is quite responsive to the needs of staff. Keep listening and growing.

11. "Workstudy mailroom , kitchen student jobs"

Current Employee - Workstudy in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Workstudy in Providence, RI

Pros

-amazing , fun people
    -manageable task
    -flexible schedule

Cons

None to speak of. Just can get repetitive or lots of down time where nothing happens.