Rice University Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rice University President Dave Leebron
Dave Leebron

Pros
  • Great University and beautiful campus (in 42 reviews)

• Very organized organization with a great work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • That is not doable for a lot of graduate students (in 15 reviews)

• Low pay, too many levels of management (in 10 reviews)

1. "Research Assistant"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Rice University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment between all departments

Cons

Weather in houston can get pretty bad

2. "Good overall and exceptionally beautiful campus"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rice University (More than 3 years)

Pros

Complete spectrum of majors. Great faculty over student ratio.

Cons

The location, Houston, determines the narrowness of career development in the future.

3. "Researcher"

I have been working at Rice University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great metropolitan location (if you don't mind the heat and humidity) in a 4th largest city in US. Beautiful campus. Lots of social events. Rice's aggressive standing in machine a data science development.

Cons

Houston is hot and humid. Rice is still a very small (but wealthy) university with about 5000 students as compared to other schools.

Advice to Management

keep up the efforts

5. "Great place for Graduate Researcher"

I have been working at Rice University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Environment, security, and all support for student is fantastic. People here are generally easy to work with.

Cons

It's a little hot to work in Houston during summer times. Also, the research fund overhead is too big. Cafeteria is not the best.

Advice to Management

Reduce research fund overhead. Improve cafeteria, we need more diverse option for this.

6. "graduate researcher"

I have been working at Rice University full-time

Pros

great campus, great academic atmosphere.

Cons

Small university, if you want a large cohort of researchers, you probably won't be satisfied.

7. "Nice part time job for a college student at Rice's Recreation Center"

Current Employee - Weight Room Attendant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Weight Room Attendant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rice University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours, perfect for a college student. It is very easy to pick your schedule and add/drop shifts, which are 2 hours in length usually.

Cons

Job can be a bit boring sometimes and the pay is not very good (barely above minimum wage), but this is to be expected from a part time job.

"Great People, Beautiful Campus"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rice University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rice University attracts bright, competent employees. It's nice to work in an environment with good people, working towards a goal that I strongly believe in and support. The campus is a peaceful oasis of forest and squirrels in the heart of the city. You can be as involved as you want in campus life. I choose to voluntarily spend extra time with students; it keeps me young and gives me hope for the future.

There's a student-run coffeehouse with excellent beverages, a grad-student bar with inexpensive drinks, and a vibrant selection of restaurants serving fresh sandwiches, multicultural tacos, freshly grilled foods, and pizza. Faculty and staff may purchase memberships in the on-campus, state of the art gym at a ridiculously low price, which gives us access to yoga, dance, and other classes. Employees may also take a class per semester for credit at no cost and Rice will reimburse us for a percentage of tuition fees.

The campus police are friendly and helpful, willing to shuttle you to your car if it's late at night. In fact, the ethos on campus from everyone is friendly -- quick with a smile and eager to help. Rice is generally noted for its friendliness to visitors and happy students.

The architecture is graceful and public art dots the campus. Open spaces are starting to fill in, sadly, but the recent-ish expansion in the undergraduate population demands more classes and professors to teach them. The grounds are well-kept and tended by an army of folks who constantly work to make Rice the astoundingly beautiful place that it is.

Cons

Definitely negotiate your starting salary as high as you can because annual "raises" tend to be inflation-rate only. I get strong reviews and paltry "raises," which will eventually lead me to look elsewhere no matter how much I love working here.

Check carefully into your department carefully before accepting an offer. Virtually all departments have wonderful people but a few do not. Find out how much turnover it has, why the position is open, and how many people are promoted over time. I've seen several departments in which there is high turnover or where everyone is working the same jobs for 7-10 years.

Parking is a thorn in my side. Eventually a new parking garage will be completed but in the meantime, my car is across campus, making it impossible for me to go out to lunch, run an errand over lunch, or pop home if I forgot to bring something. The hike to thee car or taking the bus adds significant time to my commute, assuring that I will always be in the thick of it. Once the garage is done, perhaps this will change but Rice charges its employees to park on campus and I shudder to think what the cost will be.

Rice self-insures, which probably saves it money, but the benefits atrophy a little each year while the costs rise. The premium raises haven't been insane but every year the co-pay increases, the deductible rises, and/or the coverage shrinks. The drug coverage is getting ridiculous, mandating that for some medications you cannot get them until first going through a whole series of other drugs first. Even if you've been through them before and what works for you wasn't any of those intermediary drugs. (I might be particularly bitter on that; that's a lot of migraines to suffer through until you can get something that dissolves under your tongue and won't be regurgitated almost as soon as it's swallowed.) I have seen lower paid staff struggle to come up with the mandated 3-months supply co-pays for children on "maintenance" drugs via the by-mail pharmacy. Again, that saves money but it transfers the hardship to those least able to afford it.

That's especially galling when this year's "raise" failed to cover the increase in the premiums and new deductible requirements. This is a struggle in America for all employers but the latest decisions fall disproportionately hard on the lower paid staff.

Advice to Management

1. Please put more emphasis on employee professional development. It takes staff time away from pressing needs and inconveniences everyone so, perhaps, reward supervisors whose employees participate?

2. Please offer supervisory training for people expected to manage other people. Too often competent people are given new tasks but no training to give them the proper new tool set needed.

3. In that same vein, please offer project management training for everyone above entry level.

4. Bring back software training. We had a departmental need for greater understanding of a popular program to help students troubleshoot their work but the best I was offered when I reached out for help was that I could use my personal free trial to Lynda.com, take an entire course on the program, figure out the problem, and THEN I could train the entire staff on it. That is not feasible when I still need to do my own job.

5. In departments without a path upward - many departments are staffed with happy people who don't want to leave - please look into giving meaningful raises to high performing staff who work in the same position for years. People who love their jobs but would have to leave the department or Rice to advance often work the same job for years at little more a starting salary when adjusted for inflation. They make little progress even within their job salary bracket. That encourages talent to leave.

9. "Rice University: Orientation Week Coordinator"

Former Employee - Orientation Week Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Orientation Week Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Rice University (Less than a year)

Pros

Great leadership development, watch your vision come to life, challenging, impactful, free on-campus summer housing

Cons

This is an unpaid student position

10. "PhD student in Mathematics"

Current Employee - PhD Student in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rice University (More than 5 years)

Pros

All students enjoy low workload as teaching assistants, good community of faculty and fellow graduate students, strong faculty members.

Cons

All offices of math graduate students are located in the basement, however they are pretty comfortable and equipped with all necessary items to do math research: blackboards, office supplies and computers.

11. "Graduate Student review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rice University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rice University provides a lot of resources in its Fondren Library. There are also various fun activities. It is really a wonderful university

Cons

Some course works are too heavy. If you take 4 courses, you pretty much have no time left for your research.