- Arts & Design
- Customer Services & Support
- Finance & Accounting
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Media & Communications
- Military & Protective Services
- Product & Project Management
- Research & Science
- Retail & Food Services
- Skilled Labor & Manufacturing
- Current Employees
- Australia - All Cities
- - New South Wales
- - Sydney, Australia Area
- - Sydney
- United States - All Cities
- - Texas
- - Houston, TX Area
- - Houston, TX
- - Sugar Land, TX
- - Richmond, TX
- - South Houston, TX
- - Corsicana, TX Area
- - Rice, TX
- - McAllen, TX Area
- - Edinburg, TX
- - Austin, TX Area
- - Austin, TX
- - California
- - San Jose, CA Area
- - San Jose, CA
- - Los Angeles, CA Area
- - Los Angeles, CA
- - North Carolina
- - Raleigh-Durham, NC Area
- - Chapel Hill, NC
- - Minnesota
- - St. Cloud, MN Area
- - Rice, MN
- - New York State
- - New York City, NY Area
- - New York, NY
- - Massachusetts
- - Boston, MA Area
- - Newton, MA
- - Indiana
- - Virginia
- - Norfolk, VA Area
- - Virginia Beach, VA
- - Georgia
- - Atlanta, GA Area
- - Atlanta, GA
- - Mississippi
- India - All Cities
- - West Bengal
- - Calcutta, India Area
- - Calcutta
- Brazil - All Cities
- - Rio Grande do Sul
- Argentina - All Cities
- - Buenos Aires
- - Buenos Aires, Argentina Area
- - Olivos
Found 1,091 of over 1K reviews
- COVID-19 Related
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Most Recent
- Oldest First
Got a burning question about Rice University? Just ask!
On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Rice University employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
- "The campus is beautiful and getting out for walks during the day is amazing." (in 108 reviews)
- "Great People and very inviting to outsiders" (in 82 reviews)
- "Benefits were great" (in 60 reviews)
- "Student worker so hours are flexible and allows for feedback" (in 24 reviews)
- "Great graduate student community and culture." (in 20 reviews)
- "Low pay compares to the industry" (in 41 reviews)
- "Low salary for postdoc research associate" (in 33 reviews)
- "Parking is expensive and out of the way." (in 23 reviews)
- "Management is poor and quite frankly racist." (in 11 reviews)
- "Little opportunity for upward career growth given the small size of staff." (in 8 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Rice University and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
- Current Employee★★★★★Jan 29, 2023 - Compliance ManagerRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Great work environment with great people
Irregular hours at times of the year.
- Former Employee, more than 3 years★★★★★Jan 14, 2023 - Staff Assistant in Houston, TXRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
It’s a beautiful place to work and I love the campus environment. The benefits are solid and I appreciate the retirement contributions a lot.
Pay is not as competitive as it should be, so we lost team members recently.
- Former Employee, more than 3 years★★★★★Dec 29, 2022 - Research Specialist in Houston, TXRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
There are lots of perks for working at Rice. Great health benefits, 401k, and tuition assistance. I was able to get a Master's degree while working there!
There aren't a whole lot. If I had to think of once, it was just that I felt like I was a little underpaid for the level of work I was doing but they were helping pay for my Masters so I really can't complain too much.
- Current Employee★★★★★Jan 31, 2023 - Graduate StudentRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Close knit community, nice facilities and environment.
Things move very slowly and change takes awhile to occur.Continue reading
- Current Employee, more than 3 years★★★★★Feb 2, 2023 - Graduate Research Assistant in Houston, TXRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
overall, good stipend for graduate research assistant positions.
when things don't work out with your advisor, it's hard to join other groups.
- Former Employee★★★★★Jan 18, 2023 - Engagement SpecialistRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Overall a good place to work, great coworkers and benefits
It's a large institution so sometimes things move very slowly
- Former Employee★★★★★Jan 18, 2023 - Data EngineerRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
It was a great experience
None that i can think of
- Former Employee★★★★★Jan 31, 2023 - Postdoctoral Fellow in Houston, TXRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Great university, beautiful campus, great city
Same downsides that all universities have
- Current Employee★★★★★Jan 13, 2023 - RdaRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
very good hourly salary compared with other jobs
no cons at all. great place for work.
- Current Employee★★★★★Jan 13, 2023 - PhD StudentRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Great place to work. Great professor.
Not a big fan of how hard you're worked.
Rice University Reviews FAQs
Rice University has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5, based on over 1,216 reviews left anonymously by employees. 93% of employees would recommend working at Rice University to a friend and 85% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.
93% of Rice University employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Rice University 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.