KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

3.2
RichRelevance President and Chief Product Officer  Sarath Jarugula
Sarath Jarugula
0 Rating
Pros
  • "Laid back atmosphere with great work life balance; generally lax (unlimited) paid time off and work from home policy(in 11 reviews)

• "still one of the best (if the not the best) solution for personalization(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Loss of some good people in the last years(in 5 reviews)

• "Lots of smart people let go without any safety net(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

180 Comments

Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people doing great work

Dec 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great, hardworking colleagues on my team and throughout the company. Smart, good human beings who do their best to work collaboratively and get the job done. Despite being remote since March, everyone's really pulled together to stay connected with each other and focused on the right things. It's one of the few places I've worked where the company really lives its values. Products that have real world impact, especially during the COVID shutdowns when retail has had to rely much more heavily on their online channels. Good benefits and some creative perks. My favorite is the personalized bobbleheads everyone gets on their 1st anniversary.

Cons

We run lean. We could get even more done if we had a few more people.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great technologies with awful management

Oct 6, 2019 - Senior Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great product with great technologies

Cons

I had a manager/VP of the region who hit me in the back of my head twice. He was also aggressive when I don't agree with his opinions even in brainstorming type of conversations. I tried to open up about my thoughts and emotions and work the situation out, but what he said was "leave your ego home." There was nobody to talk to in HQ back then, such as HR manager. (One of the reasons I had no connections in HQ is this manager didn't allow me to go to the on-boarding training.)

VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that we have great technology - and great people. That said, the actions of the manager that you describe are not in line with our values and are not excusable. Since you had no HR manager to call, this must have occurred several years ago when there was a gap in our HR team. I am here now and I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you about your experience.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome

Oct 3, 2019 - Senior Accountant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent work/life balance. Very hard working and fun group of people to work with.

Cons

No real cons to speak of.

VP, Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback. It's great to hear that you enjoyed working with the team - they are terrific - and appreciated our work-life balance. Both reflect our core values.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Do not recommend

Sep 5, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some good people who care. Some of the executives also seem to care. Tons of flexibility with work from home, flexible hours, PTO, etc. The company IS the leader in the personalization space.

Cons

Product is languishing and not good. It's become very difficult to sell it. The personalization space is commoditized. Deal size is pretty small (ask about it) Non-existent culture, and the company does not care about building one (there's no money anyways) Lack of transparency and flat-out untrue information from the CEO. Nastiness can occur within some teams and with some people who are not pleasant. As the other review says, the CFO is the real boss, and he's a brutal guy. Massive lay-offs occur every 1-2 years, more recently earlier this year, with no previous notice and minimal severance (40-50 people gone) Penny-pinching is the name of the game (you will be questioned on expenses) In general, the company is going nowhere pretty fast.

VP, Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback. We've worked hard over the years to earn that leadership position in the personalization space. And we totally agree that we have good people, a caring executive team, and a flexible work environment - all of which reflect our core values. I'd be interested in talking with you about your feedback on leadership communication. We strive to be as transparent as possible - with regular All Hands, company wide emails, team meetings, one-on-one with managers, etc., - so it would be helpful to understand specifically where you experienced the disconnects. I understand that organizational realignments are difficult, especially when you are personally affected by them, but we believe that the company and products are stronger for it and we're better positioned to move forward.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Run, run away and never return

Sep 5, 2019 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart co-workers. You get to learn a lot from them. Many were let go during the massive lay-offs.

Cons

- Benefits: Industry offers better benefits. Benefits offered at Richrelevance are just meh. Insurance is expensive. No commuter benefits such as Uber / Lyft credits. Many startups at San Mateo offers better benefits. - Company culture: The culture is to hire and fire. For once I thought the current CEO has a good vision but he is worst than the previous one. CPO is the worst thing that has ever happen to this company. He brags about what he has achieved so far but when it comes to product and hiring, he made some terrible choices causing 50% engineering layoffs. - Product: Many customers are building their own recommendation system, thus leaving rich relevance. Though the company adopted some ML/DL models strategy, their big customers (more than 3 I know) have already implemented those before they could and were/are performing A/B testing to replace them asap. The company is in survival mode. Even if they get more funding, funds will exhaust and another round of layoffs will happen.

6 people found this review helpful

VP, Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback. It's concerning to hear your opinion of our products and leadership. If you speak to the vast majority of the team, this is not their experience. The product is stronger than ever with investment realigned to focus on AI and on features that customers value. We are observing new customers being onboarded at a faster clip than ever before with these investments. The leadership team is committed to continuing to build the company and have this remain a great place for people to work and build their careers.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Terrible Executive management, untrustworthy

Aug 14, 2019 - Consulting
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employees are great people, smart, and clients are interesting

Cons

The executives think they are smarter than they are, constantly say everything is great, and that they are transparent, without actually being transparent. The CFO is essentially the CEO, with anything he says done without pushback. People who were there for 4+ years were given 1 week severance in a massive layoff, which was incredibly insulting. Pretty sure the rash of reviews over the last couple years were also fake/the executives and their buddies providing the reviews.

VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. I can assure you that the reviews are neither fake nor artificially bolstered by the exec team. We encourage people to share their feedback and we take feedback seriously and continually work to improve every team member's experience. There have been many positive accomplishments over the past couple of years that leadership and the entire company are proud of - new products, new markets, and a strong roadmap that inspires our customers' confidence in us. Change is hard. Every company has points where they need to reset or reconfigure in order to move forward in a different way but we completely understand that it's never fun to be on the receiving end of that kind of change. We wish you the best and hope that this has helped you focus on moving forward.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

small company with some smart people

Aug 8, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice co-workers, good relay atmosphere

Cons

unstable funding leads to many layoffs

VP, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad you enjoyed your time here. We have a great team and work hard to make this a fun and stimulating place to work. Every organization goes through periods when change is necessary for a variety of reasons. We are happy to report that we remain strong and committed to our people and our customers.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Seeing the best in the team

May 19, 2019 - Senior Technical Consultant in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The consulting team does a wonderful job of finding the hidden gems. They are willing to train and take on people that may not have direct field experience.

Cons

The market is quickly changing and retail customers are very demanding.

VP, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. You are absolutely right about the Consulting team. They are awesome and are doing a stellar job - especially given how our customers rely on us to help them innovate larger parts of their customer facing experience. And you are also right that the market is changing fast but the changes are playing to our strengths as we're seeing strong momentum in AI and personalized search. Let's talk - we would love to better understand your concerns about the outlook.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

It has its ups and downs, mostly downs of late

Feb 19, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I work with some smart people and the PTO benefit is hard to beat (it's one of the few reasons I stay). I don't know about others but salary is industry standard for those outsides of sales and engineering (points at the cons section).

Cons

Other benefits are pretty abysmal, you can do better elsewhere. The management team is good but the HR team "suggested" that we post positive reviews on Glassdoor, to me, this is a bit "slimy", and that is the only word I could think of, to even suggest something like that. If you are not on the Sales team or in Engineering you are pretty much an afterthought as far as an employee goes. The work/life company line is what you might expect but is something completely different in practice. The "sure you can work from home" line is the same but completely different in practice. Some employees do it consistently, some employees hardly ever get the chance.

VP, Human Resources

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback and for your many contributions. You have seen a lot of change in your 5+ years, including the many positive changes we've made over the last 2 years. You have an open invitation to call me if you'd like to talk about your feedback in person. There are always things we could do better. I'm sorry to hear that the Glassdoor suggestion was not appreciated. We always remind people that it's completely optional and that they should only share what they are comfortable sharing.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Momentum

Feb 13, 2019 - Sales in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

RichRelevance is taking personalization to the next level thanks to new advances in AI, which puts the company years ahead of the competition, The product suite and marquee client list is expanding. New team members are contributing. There is a real spirit of comradery among the various offices.

Cons

Hiring has been aggressive and thorough, but the company needs to onboard more.

6 people found this review helpful