RichRelevance "smart people" Reviews | Glassdoor

RichRelevance Employee Reviews about "smart people"

Updated Feb 19, 2019

3.3
RichRelevance President & CEO Carl Theobald (no image)
Carl Theobald
Pros
  • "Laid back atmosphere with great work life balance; generally lax (unlimited) paid time off and work from home policy(in 11 reviews)

• "Incredibly smart people- some of the most brilliant you'll find(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Loss of some good people in the last years(in 5 reviews)

• "Lots of smart people let go without any safety net(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "smart people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "2014 Will Be a Game Changer"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture here is fantastic. The "average" person is spectacular. I enjoy walking in the door every day. RichRelevance is filled with smart people who are passionate about Ecommerce technology and the majority of them believe in the direction the company is headed. There are very few companies out there that have under 300 people that create the flexibility to take talented people that may be in the wrong job and... figure out a career path for them that will utilize their strengths. I understand that isn't always possible but when it is it definitely takes a good manager to fight the fight for someone on their team to make sure they end up in the right spot. The re-org in mid-2013 was painful and it took several months for the dust to settle, but things feel very very solid going into 2014. I am beyond enthusiastic to be part of this incredible company and know RichRelevance will succeed!

Cons

If I had to say one, the office location. I spend more time than I should getting here and I'm more productive (and happy) working from home one day a week.

Advice to Management

Try and be as transparent as possible. Give feedback. Continue to reward good behavior. Continue investing in the culture because that's half the reason why we're here.

RichRelevance2013-12-19

"It has its ups and downs, mostly downs of late"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work with some smart people and the PTO benefit is hard to beat (it's one of the few reasons I stay). I don't know about others but salary is industry standard for those outsides of sales and engineering (points at the cons section).

Cons

Other benefits are pretty abysmal, you can do better elsewhere. The management team is good but the HR team "suggested" that we post positive reviews on Glassdoor, to me, this is a bit "slimy", and that is the only word I could think of, to even suggest something like that. If you are not on the Sales team or in Engineering you are pretty much an afterthought as far as an employee goes. The work/life company line... is what you might expect but is something completely different in practice. The "sure you can work from home" line is the same but completely different in practice. Some employees do it consistently, some employees hardly ever get the chance.

Advice to Management

You have turned the company around from the "dark times" a good thing. It's not the RichRelevance of old culture-wise. The camaraderie that I once felt has been gone for a while and you need to work harder to get that back. The feeling is now these people are important and you support people are an afterthought.

RichRelevance2019-02-19
  3. "Good Place to be, need to be a self starter to succeed"

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time

Pros

Well respected in marketplace, strong technology with large install base. smart people, compelling product, they spend money when they have to, but you never feel like the executive team is abusing the piggy bank and they require justification for expenses.

Cons

culture has shifted as the company continues to mature, lots of smart folks have gone to other opportunities, management has changed over

RichRelevance2016-03-23

"They should stick to their knitting"

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time

Pros

Very smart people doing amazing work in the personal recommendations field. Enthusiasm runs rampant, and there are lots of perks.

Cons

Their second line of business, selling ads on retailer web sites, is not working. Senior management does not come from an ad sales background, and either do not understand the competitive environment/sales cycle or chose to ignore it when they over promised and under delivered numbers to the directors. The result was layoffs, and people who were doing good work were let go, without any real safety net.

Advice to Management

Stick to your knitting. Get out of ad sales.

RichRelevance2013-10-09
  5. "So far , so good - a hidden gem."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting "big data" problems to work on. Great, engineer-friendly culture. Unlimited PTO! "Small company" feel is still there - email jokes that go to "all", silliness etc. still happens. Incredibly smart people- some of the most brilliant you'll find. Lots of "Dot-com" perks like free food, massages, games room etc. Friendly people, still relatively flat hierarchy (CEO walks around SF office and greets people... daily). Execs are all ex-engineers to they "get" software development. Potential to make money if it goes IPO or gets acquired. Very open communication - financial numbers are published and company fiscal health is always discussed openly.

Cons

Can be chaotic - but to be expected in a start-up and some people like that. Dealing with remote offices/employees means lots of conference calls. Not a 9-5 easy paycheck. WFH policy (or lack of) is awkward - people tend to make weird excuses so they can work from home and email everyone ("have to babysit the dog as he's throwing up"). No major red flags...yet.

Advice to Management

Careful not to pile on the bureaucracy or instill heavy methodologies/process as the company grows. Genius thrives on chaos. Don't try to "manage" or "control" engineers - tell them what you want, and let them figure out how to get there. No heavy project management. You have a winning formula so don't mess with it. Don't lower the hiring standards to grow quickly. Publish a liberal work-from-home policy such as... "whenever you want" - no excuses needed.

RichRelevance2012-11-18
  6. "Fast moving, growing and thriving tech company"

in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RichRelevance

Pros

wickedly smart people fun team that is very supportive of one another great leadership position in our space and market phenominal potential for this business

Cons

not really a down side, but super busy all the time i worry about some people burning out - life at a start up, but still need to be careful

Advice to Management

keep the communication coming; employees really want to know how the business is doing and what the high points and risks are.

RichRelevance2012-03-22

"Do what I say, not what I do"

I worked at RichRelevance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Surrounded by smart people. The quality of life is good: work hard, play hard and good package. The portfolio of clients is the company’s best asset. The core product still exceeds that of the competitions. If MicroStrategy is written on your CV, you are guaranteed a job at RichRelevance (Wait! Is this a Con?)

Cons

The on-boarding is poor. The C-level executives have no idea of how to drive the boat. As a result, the company is very unstable and flaky: last month they laid off 40 (forty) % of their employees. There is constant re organisation: 4 or 5 in the space of 14 months. No credit or respect is given to the most experienced employees who have the knowledge and know the war stories: most of them have been laid off... too! As always, the strategy is to bet all the money on one horse and hope for the best --> Appalling for a company that preaches the value of data and fights against gut decisions

Advice to Management

“Own it, Keep it simple, Get it done” - CEO The problems have been identified but not dealt with properly. There is a problem with the cash flow of the company, a problem with selling the platform and a problem with securing additional funding. Own it: understand that we are where we are because we have followed the strategy put in place by the executives. Own the problem and accept that the people at the top... of the company are constantly doing the wrong things. Keep it simple: stop re-organising the company every other month. Treat the problems rather than the symptoms. Get it down: If the platform is not sellable then the marketing strategy and message is incorrect or the market research prior to the creation of a new product was not done correctly (CMO’s and CEO’s faults) OR the products are not doing what they should do (CPO’s fault). If there is a problem with the cash flow of the company then the CFO must have been functioning poorly for a while (CFO’s and CEO’s fault) If we can not get additional funding then the Chairman is not meeting his objectives (Chairman’s and CEO’s faults) C-level execs need to go.

RichRelevance2016-07-04