RichRelevance "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

RichRelevance Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 3, 2019

3.3
RichRelevance President & CEO Carl Theobald (no image)
Carl Theobald
Pros
  • "Laid back atmosphere with great work life balance; generally lax (unlimited) paid time off and work from home policy(in 11 reviews)

• "Incredibly smart people- some of the most brilliant you'll find(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Loss of some good people in the last years(in 5 reviews)

• "Lots of smart people let go without any safety net(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Great culture and vibe, hiring and retention problems"

Current Employee - Engineering in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time

Pros

Laid back atmosphere with great work life balance; generally lax (unlimited) paid time off and work from home policy. I heard someone took multiple weeks off to raise a puppy at one point. The products and problems are generally interesting and worth working on. The leadership (executives) are charismatic and generally solid. Usual tech office perks; stocked bar, unlimited snacks/drinks, open floor plan,... can request extra monitors/standing desk/ect...

Cons

The most pressing problems stem from hiring and retention. For starters, the gender diversity in tech/engineering roles is not good (like 20:1). Retaining any engineer for more than a few years is also difficult, as they get poached by the larger tech companies surrounding the office (eg; Amazon). The company struggles generally with recruiting, leaving important seats vacant for prolonged periods of time.

Advice to Management

* Do outreach at academic and industry conferences (eg; Grace Hopper Celebration) and events to attract more diverse range of job applicants. * Continue to increase base salaries for tech/engineering/science roles to combat poaching & help secure top candidates.

RichRelevance2018-10-07

"Awesome"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant

I worked at RichRelevance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent work/life balance. Very hard working and fun group of people to work with.

Cons

No real cons to speak of.

RichRelevance2019-10-03

"Not a good career move"

I worked at RichRelevance full-time

Pros

Good work life balance and there are some talented individuals within the organization that were a joy to work with Good benefits

Cons

Management is doing an awful job leading this company and has no idea how to manage, train and develop their employees nor the ability to react to the market. Don't get fooled with a flashy comp package but rather ask how many new logo deals are closing on a quarter by quarter basis. Employees have very little say as upper management thinks they know it all and refuse to take into account other opinions. ... They also are too busy vacationing or coming in at 10 and leaving at 4 to be able to accomplish anything, which is why nothing ever gets done or changed. Very few people are actually happy and enjoy working at RichRelevance, which says enough in its own.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror when trying to understand why the company is failing. I actually don't enjoy writing these types of reviews, but if I can help prevent one individual from joining this organization and going through what I did, then it was worth it.

RichRelevance2018-02-19

"Decent Experience"

I worked at RichRelevance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance Autonomy to work on project that you deem worthy Decent location

Cons

Vision for the company isn't clear Management isn't coordinated Too many managers not enough workers

Advice to Management

Focus on moving needle and making sure you have the right people for the position. Not everyone performs well so don't be afraid to exchange them for those that do

RichRelevance2016-12-30

"Remnants of an amazing company - currently in dire straits"

in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RichRelevance for more than 3 years

Pros

Industry leader in e-commerce personalized product recommendations Laid back company culture, good work-life balance Great place to develop your career or a new skill set, perfect place to enter tech industry Company offers you the autonomy to pursue projects/roles that most benefit your career growth

Cons

Recent significant downsizing Exec team has failed to take the company to the next level. Repeatedly takes the company in new direction, followed by failure. Poor upkeep of core technology, always scrambling to fix bugs Agile teams creates inefficiencies Generally chaotic

Advice to Management

Your employees are your most valuable asset. Treat them as such.

RichRelevance2016-06-28

"Senior Software Engineer"

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time

Pros

Good products and customer base Talented engineers Good technology stacks Friendly employees and work environment Good work life balance

Cons

Engineers don't respect the CPO. He's chased away a lot of good engineers. The current ones will leave soon. He's like a cancer that is killing the company.

Advice to Management

Find leaders who can regain respect from the engineers and turn the ship around, before it's too late.

RichRelevance2016-05-06

"Poor Planning"

I worked at RichRelevance for more than a year

Pros

The employees are generally very nice, depending on what office you work in. The culture is OK, and the insurance is great. The perks are good, nice work/life balance and middle management seems to be honest.

Cons

Executives seem locked in the processes and there doesn't seem to be very good innovation at the top. Extremely poor judgement for years has led to no funding and I can't see this company lasting much longer. Bad executive decisions abound and people all seem to be walking on egg shells. A clear sign when people start voluntarily leaving like flies - layoffs are near. And they were huge last time around as 50% of... the staff is now gone.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. You spend thousands of dollars sending EVERYONE from all corners of the planet together for your 2016 "kick off" in Napa and then, two months later, lay off half of your employees. This is terrible planning and a lack of foresight by management is the only reason. Now working with a skeleton crew, good luck retaining current clients (they are a mess anyway) and gaining new ones. This place is... doomed.

RichRelevance2016-04-13

"Manager"

Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at RichRelevance for more than a year

Pros

The firm puts effort into keeping employee morale high Good work life balance

Cons

The executive team needs reduced in size and turned over Very top heavy organization Little room for advancement Short executive attention span leads to constant turnover of processes, goals and employees

Advice to Management

Put more time and effort into mapping the course for the company. Use data rather than gut instincts. Then, stay the course. Perhaps hire a business consulting company.

RichRelevance2015-05-27

"Great potential but better leadership needed."

I worked at RichRelevance full-time

Pros

The culture is very fun. The company does a lot of fun things. Lots of fun personalities in the office. On a social level, every is approachable. RichRelevance provides more than normal visibility due to the weekly All-Hands and daily morning calls. People get recognized for their achievements. Great work life balance!

Cons

This company wants to go IPO. The culture is fun, but it will hinder it's progress to IPO. Not all, but too many, upper-level manager appear to be clueless as to how their subordinates do their job and appear not to care. They constantly cancel meetings and don't read/reply to emails unless you're upper management yourself.

Advice to Management

Tell the CEO the whole truth and nothing but the truth. If you can't do something or provide certain information, just say you can't at the moment and work on process to provide what he needs. Don't sugar coat it. If something is wrong, tell him! This more of a question to management. How can you decide to spend a bunch of money marketing that RichRelevance is hiring, COME JOIN OUR FAMILY! Then turn around and... lay-off the people who answered the called a few months later. It's very upsetting no upper-level managers lost their job for making/supporting such decisions. Only subordinates were laid-off. Which brings morality into question. Do not play with peoples' lives. Upper management needs to get their hands dirty. For a start up culture, it's surprising how disconnected upper-management is. Get connected! Not all upper-level managers are like this, but there are too many that are. Be accountable for your decisions and actions.

RichRelevance2013-07-29

"Cons outweigh pros"

I have been working at RichRelevance for more than a year

Pros

This is an awesome company. Not an average company, mind you, but an awesome one. People are great human beings, and some of us stick together as friends. Many of them are individuals so talented they can push an entire organization forward. Compensation is generally competitive. Work/life balance is impressive, and management encourages employees to take advantage of it. Our products work. We can pour our own brew... in our own bar in our own office! If you are looking for a fast-paced environment, this is not the company for you.

Cons

Where to begin with. Bloated management? I don't think it's the problem. Yes, leadership is unimpressive, but it's not terrible. Recognition is sometimes acknowledged, but there is no incentive or reward for impact (we have an internal award for this, nobody really says 'oh, I'm gonna push hard this month so I can be nominated for that award'). Accountability apparently exists only when you count for nothing. The... lack of process is appalling, and people really excel to keep the company together in certain situations. I'm not sure what my career path looks like. There's diffidence (but no hostility) to new ideas. Employee morale could be higher.

Advice to Management

This company has a lot of wasted potential. We could achieve greater efficiency with little effort. Why aren't we improving what we do? We need structure to focus and scale, so we can be great at what we do. I know the company acknowledged most of its issues, but there is still a lot to do if we want to shine.

RichRelevance2015-08-05