Richdale Apartments Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Betty Price

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I have worked with a lot of great people over the years and continue to work with a lot of (in 10 reviews)

• Hard work is recognized and celebrated (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Any problems that I have had I have worked out with the help of upper management (in 15 reviews)

• Their corporate office has some serious issues (in 13 reviews)

1. "Sales & Leasing Professional"

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Richdale Apartments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired by the company with absolutely no apartment leasing background. I had just moved to Houston from out of state and had a strong desire to get into the multifamily housing industry. The interviews were intense, however I gracefully aced each one. The best part of it all is they gave me a chance. In less than a few weeks of moving to Houston, I got the job! I had a background in sales and customer service which turned out to be a key factor in being the best candidate for that position. But most importantly, I am a people person who can sell anything that I really believe in. Once I found out my assigned property, I was ecstatic! I did my research, I studied the floor plans and I started the job eager to be the best! Everyone goes through a training, however I felt like I received the best hands-on experience when I was actually out on the floor. For me, it wasn't just about receiving a paycheck! I actually came through the door anticipating to work my way up to the very top. With that in mind, perception is everything! If you come in the door with a positive attitude and actually love what you do, then you will succeed at this position. They recognize their top performers. Sure every day is not the same and yes you will have days that are more challenging than others, but the best part of working there was the fact that everyone was a team. We went through a phase of being without a manager, until they could find the ideal candidate, yet our team did the best they could to keep things flowing. For the most part, I always felt like I had job security. I lived on property, I was able to care for my child (as a single parent) and they were very understanding and accomodating. For that, I am forever grateful for Richdale.

Shortly after I was hired, I worked hard, proved myself and later went on to live on property. From there, I felt like the opportunity was always available for me to grow. A lot of people complaining that they were made promises to move up, but didn't… did it ever occur to you that just maybe you didn't fully succeed at the position you were given? I never felt trapped as a leasing agent. The regional managers (even the owners) are very approachable, and they actually take the time out to acknowledge who all their leasing agents and managers are at meetings. I would honestly still be with the company had I not returned to my home state due to personal family obligations. With any job, every encounter and experience there is what YOU make it. If you go in with high expectations yet under perform then don't expect to be promoted to a higher position. When you deliver and sincerely love what you do, it shows in the quality of your work. But overall, I truly enjoyed my time at Richdale and if I had the choice to do it all over again, I would certainly work for them again!

Cons

My only complaint was not having full weekends off (which I later learned in this industry is rare unless you are a manager)… yet my regional was able to work out a way where each of us would get rotating weekends off.. so that helped.

Advice to Management

- I would say the company could work on offering more bonus incentives for application rentals (not by region, but by meeting daily goals per property).
    - Also, it would be nice to issue monthly (or quarterly) awards for top leasing agents and managers! While email recognition is great, it would be very beneficial and rewarding to have a certificate that says so. :)
    - Continue with monthly staff meetings so that everyone can connect with other employees in their region.
    - Definitely keep up employee social functions! I really enjoyed mingling with coworkers outside of work!
    - Focus more on bringing quality people in the door that demonstrates a passion to genuinely add value to Richdale… and ween out the individuals who are clearly only there for a paycheck!

2. "Decent for entry level position."

I have been working at Richdale Apartments full-time

Pros

Easy if you are in the right "clique".

Cons

No leasing commission. Run down properties.

3. "Buyer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynn, MA

I worked at Richdale Apartments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

sold out to a large company

Advice to Management

keep going

"Anonymous"

I worked at Richdale Apartments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with and helping customers on a daily basis. Working in a team environment.

Cons

Several of the departments at corporate are micromanaged by one person. You are unable to make any decision on your own unless the one person "committee" gives the approval.

Advice to Management

If you hire someone and promise them a management role, train them and be honest with them instead of holding a promotion over their head. The responsibilities should be spread among managers/ supervisors in the office instead of having one person in the management role who is the sole decision maker.

"Save yourself the headache and do not work here."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Richdale Apartments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None really, aside from it being a M-F job. Unless you work maintenance and/or grounds and then you have to be there to do snow removal. I was there every single time, but If you are unable to make it for ANY reason at all, they will threaten to fire you. (Not joking, I heard this many times from several people)

Cons

Where to start... I am not a picky person at all about where I work. However, this company will run the gauntlet on you.
    When I was hired, I was told I would receive additional training and have the option to promote within the company. This was a lie. Fast forward over a year later and nothing had changed and saw several employees come and go. In ONE year. I worked very hard for them only to be underappreciated and harassed. They have no respect for their employees, so therefore morale is very low. My coworkers did nothing but sit in their cars 4 hours of the 8 hour day and smoke. Not cigarettes.
    Things that are not disclosed upon hire:
    You have to provide ALL of your own tools
    You will have to do things outside of your job description (Illegally I might add.. things you need a special license for)
    You will NEVER move up in the company.
    They hire under false pretenses.
    Honestly everyone is super cranky. Again, morale.
    They do not have company cars, so you will be hauling tons of things around in your car (Not kidding, this ruined my wifes car. Seats are ruined from caulk, broken springs and axels from not being able to bear the weight)
    This is all I can come up with right now, however, this is one of the worst jobs I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Be HONEST with your employees.
    Do things LEGALLY. When you send your employees in to an apartment that is a biohazard, have the proper protection for them.
    Moving appliances requires a license.
    Disclose to employees what they will need for the job.
    Don't make your company out to be better than it is, this is why you have so many disgruntled employees.
    Provide the necessary equipment to do the jobs you are assigning.
    Re evaluate your employees at the Biltmore.

"Professional Con Artists"

I worked at Richdale Apartments full-time

Pros

They're really good at lying.

Cons

This company does not value it's associates. They will lie to you to convince you to take a position that is unfulfilling. They told me that they had a "challenging and exciting" role for me with "growth" opportunities. Unfortunately, this couldn't be further from the truth. Nothing is challenging about this position. No one in the office has any real responsibility besides touring and making follow up calls which only fills a portion of your day. It makes your work week monotonous and lack luster.
    Their corporate office has some serious issues. They don't pay vendors and when things don't get fixed because of this, they blame the offices. They also retain associates in their corporate office that are incredibly disrespectful. Long time residents were talked to like they were criminals for being 5 days late on rent. Unfortunately for our office, most of our residents were elderly so typically a late rent meant a hospital visit. Getting yelled at right out of the hospital probably didn't help their situation.
    The staff in the office genuinely didn't care about residents and their well being. The water spots that needed to be fixed that took three months, the lightbulbs that were burnt out for weeks, and the additional issues that either get half fixed or not at all really put a stress on the residents. When they called to complain they were often met with "eye rolls" or fake promises that were never followed through on.
    This company is completely crooked. Sadly, It seems to me that the owners don't even know basic economics.

Advice to Management

Burn the company and cut your losses before your putrid reputation does it for you.

Richdale Apartments Response

Mar 28, 2017 – Employee Services

We are disheartened and surprised to learn about your particular experience. A key part of our corporate culture is providing outstanding service to residents and an exceptional work environment for... More

"Worst property management company I have ever worked for.."

Former Employee - Leasing Professional
    Former Employee - Leasing Professional

I worked at Richdale Apartments full-time

Pros

I literally cannot think of any.

Cons

Well, where do I start.. Their pay is "ok", but they have no bonus structure. Every now and then they will run a "leasing competition" to get you some extra money (which they set the goals as unobtainable, and at $10 a rental.. Woopty doo). There is so much gossip and cattiness between offices that you turn your back for one second and everyone is talking about you. Fellow associates even gossip about you to residents. Zero professionalism. If you need assistance from a manager or regional, good luck. I could never get any questions answered (because most people working here have zero previous property management experience) so they just skate around the question and act like they helped you. I have seen so many of my associates flat out disrespect prospects because they just don't want to work but yet they continue to come in and collect their paycheck. If you read reviews about each property you can see which staff members and frequently called out about their lack of professionalism and yet thy still have a job because management just needs "bodies" to fill the job space. They walk a fine line between fair housing violations. I was shocked at some of the things corporate does and how their approval process works. There are no set guidelines so when prospects ask if something on their credit/background means they will be denied, we are told to tell them to apply anyway because it's all approved on a case by case basis. So basically underwriting decides if they are ok with approving someone (and they may have just denied somebody with the same issue) with an eviction, etc. seems sketchy..

I'm going to stop where here because I could go on and write an entire essay about how terrible this company is. I highly recommend you do not accept a job here and look else where, it will save you so much time and a massive headache.

Advice to Management

Partners need to get it together and realize their employees have feelings and so do their residents. People do not deserve to be treated like they are beneath you just because you were born rich and have more money then you know what to do with.

"Felt like home"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Richdale Apartments (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Richdale for 3 and half years and would still be working there if my husband did not get a job out of state. Everyone I works with became like family. Great company to work for. They are all ways rewarding hard work with contests or with recognitions, fixable with hours and under standing if emergencys come up, takes extra time to train ever employee for the job, really big on promoting from with in. I started out as leasing and was moved up to a property manager position of a little property and then moved to a bigger property. I think the best part was knowing if I had a problem or needed help I could always reach out to someone for help.

Cons

Takes a long time to get big projects approved but I think ever company is like that.

"I love it here"

Current Employee - Leasing Professional in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Leasing Professional in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Richdale Apartments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for this company!! I previously celebrated my one year and i couldn't be happier. Richdale rewards great work and makes you feel very appreciated. They work with my school schedule while many companies would not.

Cons

As with many companies, sometimes you have to do what you don't want to. There seems to be a lot of favoritism and sometimes there's drama. In comparison to pay for other leasing agents in the area, I think ours could be a little higher considering we don't receive commission bonuses. Nothing about my experiences would deter me from continuing working here.

Advice to Management

Don't forget to thank all leasing professionals.. Although it's great to reward the top people, everyone has worked very hard this year.

"Awful"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Richdale Apartments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing, other than having a weekday off for appointments and errands.

Cons

Just run the other way. Awful, selfish company. Maybe in 10 years, you'll advance past an entry level manager. Only property management company in town that doesn't pay commissions. Your work life balance will NEVER happen and their benefits are a joke. Worst company I ever worked for and the turn over was the highest I've ever seen.