Richmond American Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Larry A. Mizel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Support from other sales associates (in 4 reviews)

• Everyone from beginning to now has been awesome, starting with upper Management here in Jacksonville to the Corporate office in Denver (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I was one of the top Sales People at this company (in 6 reviews)

• It seems like no one has been in any position for more than 18 months (in 5 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Company"

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive work environment with intelligent and hard working coworkers. A great company culture focused on excelling at your position and being provided with tools and opportunities to grow.

Cons

There is nothing negative to share.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the environment you have created and continue to support.

2. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Richmond American Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Land positions? Florida !

Cons

Perhaps the worst run fortune 500 company out there . One arm does not know what the other is doing.

Advice to Management

The world revolves outside Denver!~This is Florida and your reputation is up there with OJ.
    No cohesion , No direction .... Lot's of Yes people!

3. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Richmond lets you run your own business. Once you are out of training you have the freedom to manager your business and managers are there to help support when needed. The potential for income growth is endless and the on-boarding program is effective. It is always a perk to enjoy working with great people as well!

Cons

The CRM system they have in place makes you track every conversation, email and phone conversation you have which leans towards micro management, but its an intelligent system and really does help facilitate business. Another con is the hourly minimum wage you make during training, it can be very scary to maintain until you are out of training.

Advice to Management

More involved in the in-field training after onboarding process. Mentors are aswesome, but having a systematic structure to help trainees move out of training would be better.

4. "Sales"

I worked at Richmond American Homes (More than a year)

Pros

The benefit package and the draw....while it lasted.

Cons

This was the most hostile environment I have ever worked for. Not only between the sales people but with management also. If you weren't one of their favorites....look out!

Advice to Management

Treat everyone fairly and with respect!

5. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to grow and learn from some of the best in the industry. The company culture is amazing and I love how involved directors and managers are in terms of making sure you have the tools to succeed. You can see at first hand that they care about their employees from the health benefits offered, financial planning, discounts, and not to mention the food trucks for lunches, Einstein bagels on Friday mornings, ice cream socials on Friday afternoons, Rockies baseball games, the list goes on. Everyone has fun, with a work hard play hard mentality but also truly enjoying what they do.

Cons

The training program can be a little intense.

6. "Sales associate in trainig"

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time

Pros

Bi lingual, excellent customer service skill

Cons

There are no cons that I can think iff

7. "Construction manager"

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only Pros would be management getting fired or having to do your job for one month with the supervision and the support that they give you maybe they would realize they are out of control.

Cons

I had work for the company several years previous and it was the best company I ever had worked for. When I started looking to be a superintendent again that was the first place I interviewed and was happy to be a part of the team that was short-lived after running three subdivisions 41 houses under production doing all the customer service and no help. The best thing is how they would give you a sticker for your hard hat if a homeowner wrote In and said that you were doing a good job. That was a slap in the face.

Advice to Management

Advice to management treat people like you would like to be treated Richmond American Homes is like a revolving door.

8. "Best company I've ever worked for."

Current Employee - New Home Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - New Home Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee culture is fantastic. The management and employee relation is very team and result focused which creates the perfect environment for employees.

Cons

Stress from the sales, as with all sales jobs. Real estate is very up and down with the market and this creates large amounts of stress.

Advice to Management

Find out why the sales management attrition is so bad.

"If you are a masochist with a penchant for self-loathing, look no further!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Richmond American Homes (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, training, and that is pretty much it. I am supposed to have no less than 20 words here so I am just typing this to get to that point.

Cons

This company is an absolute joke to work for. They don't care about their employees - especially not their sales staff - you know, the reason everyone else there has a job to do. The turnover I experienced in the short time I was with this company was INSANE. This company does what I like to call the "turn and burn." They hire you on and pump you full of high hopes and all this "you can do it" positive nonsense BS. They get you hooked on the job by giving you the backlog of agents who have "quit" so you have some commission money to look forward to while you try and make you own sales. But then, once you have been there for several months to a year and become one of the top performers, they find a reason to push you out and give your hard-earned backlog to agents they just hired on and start the cycle all over again, getting them hooked in a vicious cycle. (Note: they don't pay full commission when you take over a contract, meaning they are saving money on the payout = the motive!)

The busywork they assign sales agents is asinine and superfluous. They make you jump on to unnecessary hour-long national sales calls once or twice a week, 3 to 4 division huddle calls a week, plus you have to watch videos, blog, and do all of these assignments that will supposedly make you a better (read: pushier) sales person. Plus you have the privilege of sitting through 3 hour long sales meetings that could have been emails once a week. You get in trouble for not doing your busy work and the busy work gets in the way of you selling. And then, when you aren't selling, you get in trouble, too, and can't win. Plus, you end up doing the jobs of other departments they refuse to hire and spend money on, like Quality Assurance Inspectors for starters. Your work load is piled so with meetings, calls, busy work, other people's jobs that you hardly have time to try and sell.

The management and the division level - with the exception of one or two - is completely two-faced and incompetent. They pretend they care about you and your life but they are just playing you. The favoritism and politics is reminiscent of a high school competitive cheer squad. The sales manager in particular is in a level all on her own - blabs and cries about how she cares but then she can't be bothered to answer an important phone call or email to support her sales staff because she is too busy BS-ing with her favorite sales agent(s) at their assigned model home. If you are on her good side, she will push people out for you and feed you their backlog and even fudge sales numbers to get you put on President's List for a free vacation. Ethical, right?

OH, and this company doesn't even abide by its own rules and policies. Just when something gets implemented it gets changed and you never know what is going on. Also, there are corporate safeguards in place to protect sales agents from having sales stolen from them but this division likes to ignore that protocol when it benefits the favorites. No one is EVER on the same page across the departments because of the constant policy changes and half the time you are just flying blind.

They don't really care about their buyers, either, or their home quality. They don't like to pay much for the trades who build their houses, so frequently they just don't show up or do really sloppy work.

Nothing EVER closes on time. Everything is harder than it needs to be. Everyone who works there is miserable. You have ZERO work-life balance as you are required to sit at a model for 8.5+ hours a day, 5 days a week, with one day off during the week and Sundays off (never two days in a row) and they don't observe any holidays but Christmas and Thanksgiving. If you have to take maternity leave or medical leave, they take up all your vacation time and you also end up losing money because they reassign your contracts while you are absent. Do yourself a favor and work for ANY other new construction company... unless, of course, you enjoy being miserable and drinking yourself to sleep every night.

Advice to Management

Hahaha! That's cute... advice?! They don't take advice. But here is some advice to corporate management: start giving a damn about the people who help you pay for your multi-million dollar homes and private jets. Your attitude toward sales people and how they are a dime a dozen is going to be what ultimately drives this company into the ground. When numbers become far more important than people, you are doing it wrong.

"A Great Team to be apart of !!!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From my online assessment, Interview and onboarding to receiving my name badge, I knew, I made the right choice in the company I work for, in a very exciting field where I'm able to help customers with one of the greatest investment they will make in their lives.

Cons

I have not seen any downsides to the decision I made to work for Richmond American Homes.

Advice to Management

Continue this great path that we are on, 40 years and counting !!!