Richmond American Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Richmond American Homes Chairman and CEO Larry A. Mizel
Larry A. Mizel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A great company culture focused on excelling at your position and being provided with tools and opportunities to grow (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to learn and grow in new home sales (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You have ZERO work-life balance as you are required to sit at a model for 8 (in 4 reviews)

• I was one of the top Sales People at this company (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company with Great People"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, awesome leadership, good benefits, great people, great earning potential, vacation time. It’s nice to work for a company where you look forward to going to work everyday.

Cons

None I can think of.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director of Finance in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Director of Finance in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture here is great. Everyone is a team player and willing to do what is required to get the job done. People are treated with respect and fairness and management truly cares about helping every employee succeed. Promoting from within is something that has happened on a regular basis since I've been with the company. Great overall environment in a fun and challenging industry.

Cons

No cons of working at Richmond

3. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company has an executive leadership team that is invested in the daily operations of the company that creates an incredible place to learn and grow. This company values it's employees and is centered around sales performance. The employees here are talented and love what they do. Many long friendships have been made.

Cons

We are a performance based organization so the work can be long but the reward can be great. We don't do a great job showing the outside world the special things we do to create a team oriented culture in our divisions and at our corporate office.

4. "Procurement Analyst"

Former Employee - Procurement Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Procurement Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Richmond American Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training, wonderful work environment, the pay is very good, the company cares about their employees. I highly recommend.

Cons

There aren't any I can think of

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing. You guys are great!

5. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Richmond sets very high expectations for their Sales Associates. Turnover is common for new associates because many new employees expect high returns for little effort. It does not work that way. If you are willing to do the work, the payoff is great, in both financial gain and career growth. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the company. By far, the best new home builder to work for in the Salt Lake City metro area.

Cons

Non applicable. There are non to share.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

6. "Fun job"

Current Employee - Superintendent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Superintendent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work. The management team is dedicated to work life balance and having fun. We have only grown in positive ways over the years.

Cons

This is a fun place to work

7. "Terrific place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture and people to work with - lots of longevity of the team in my division. Really great support from the corporate team and your hard work is recognized! There is a lot of opportunity for growth and you are not micro managed.

Cons

I don't have any cons or negative things to say about working at Richmond American.

8. "God Awful Job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros, where to begin...
    If you like getting chewed out by management on a regular basis, then look no further than Richmond American Homes. At Richmond American, they buy tracts of land that are nearly impossible to sell. They make this your problem. So, if you want a job that makes you question why you even bother anymore, this is the place to be!

Another pro is, you get no sick days. That's right, when you are sick your options are to come into work, or use a vacation day. There was one time I was literally dying, planning my own funeral and everything, but I had to do it at work, because I wasn't going to use a vacation day on that. Fortunately, I survived and got the deposit on my funeral back.

I'll give one more pro. They promote from within. Which is really awesome, but you have to be the golden child to get the promotion. If you are placed in a struggling community, you will be just a number to them. If you get placed in a good community, where you are, for all intents and purposes, an order taker. The sky is the limit.

Cons

The work/life balance is horrendous.

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales agents when they tell you how their communities could sell better. You constantly remind us that we are the first line of people, consumers meet when they come here. You constantly remind us that we are the on-site expert. So actually listen to us, when we say, "doing x,y,and z will help the community out," Instead, you're very cheap. I encourage all employees to bring a crowbar to work with them, so they can pry open the billion dollar budget this company has but refuses to use.

Also when you hire a sales manager, who receives such backlash from the sales team, where people literally curse this person out to this person's face, maybe it's time to do some restructuring? I don't know, it's not like I graduated magna cum laude from business school.

"Sales"

I worked at Richmond American Homes full-time

Pros

Good place to get experience.

Cons

The sales office can be very competitive and there is little management support to prevent unfair and deceitful sales practices from co-workers. Definitely an "in crowd" at this company. It feels like high school. It's definitely a churn and burn.

10. "I Love My Job!!!"

Current Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Richmond American Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn and grow in new home sales. Management is all about personal development and coaching you to be the very best version of you!

Cons

Nothing bad I can say here. I only wish I would have started sooner!