RigNet Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.0
Steven E. Pickett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • For those who drink the RigNet Kool Aid and get on their knees and do whatever it takes to keep your job this is a great place for you (in 4 reviews)

• Some good people to work with, in an interesting industry (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • oil and gas company, future is not certain, but what O&G is at this time in this market (in 6 reviews)

• really hoping the O&G Industry picks back up (in 5 reviews)

"not a company that is ready to grow"

I worked at RigNet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good customer base gives the company better business stability

Cons

Too many VP and other senior managers running around Houston pretending to be in charge, when all the decisions are made by the CEO anyway. They do not listen to the field staff on service items or operational issues. Instead, they have big strategy meetings all the time but never make any decisions to help the business grow.

Advice to Management

give people clear direction and let them perform - then reward them with good salary and benefits. Stop running the company like its all US employees, we are part of a global company

"Poor Management/Executive Management"

I worked at RigNet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Usually have every other weekend or more off

Cons

Poor internal communication pay is horrible employees are just a number too many chiefs

Advice to Management

CUT BACK YOUR VP's

"A Communication Company That is Terrible at Communicating"

Current Employee - Customer Care Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at RigNet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A global company that provides decent medical and dental insurance benefits. The downtown location is easily accessible for commuters and they provide garage parking access (a perk when used during events downtown).

Cons

The company overall does a poor job of communicating clear objectives and direction to it's employees. Compensation is lacking for many. No merit raises were approved this year. In addition to that, the company chose to renege on a competitive market increase that was initially approved. How can you reasonably expect employees to work above-and-beyond when you say "I know you are underpaid, however we're not going to give you the increase we promised you before"?

As for the department in which I work, the NOC, management is either inept or simply doesn't care how the department performs. They are completely reactive and are unwilling to heed the suggestions of those who are on the front line, although they claim to welcome them. The most notable example is the new ticketing system. It was rolled out without any testing from those who will be using it most. When feedback was given, we were essentially told "deal with it". In the mean time, the customers, who the company claims to value, are becoming more and more frustrated. Another involves scheduling. Management presented the need for a change, which is understandable, and asked for suggestions and feedback. An alternative to what was being offered was voted on and accepted by 90% of the group. However, they elected to ignore what was voted on by the majority and is working to implement the ONE shift no-one wants to work. We have already lost one good employee and many are sure to follow.

Lastly, there is no training or process to develop employees skill-sets. When I was initially hired, one of the things that appealed to me was the promise that I would obtain hands-on networking experience. Which was the case at first. Then everything changed once the new management team took over. Instead of assessing what worked before, then implementing improvements, they simply applied what they felt worked at their company before, where the workload was less and processes and products were different. Taking a cookie cutter approach to everything never ends well and that is what is happening here. If you are considering employment at the NOC in Houston, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop disregarding employee suggestions and input. Provide coaching and feedback to help employees improve. Hold those accountable who are not pulling their weight and stop punishing everyone with childish rule changes as if we are in the military. There are plenty of books available to help. I suggest visiting the local library and checking out a few.

"Mgmt now turns to writing fake glowing reviews on social media as damage control in an attempt to cloud the facts."

Current Employee - Customer Care Technician
    Current Employee - Customer Care Technician

I have been working at RigNet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays the bills until I can find something else. Benefits are "ok". For the most part good coworkers. Free parking.

Cons

Management has now resorted to posting fake back to back reviews on social media blaming employees for the problems the company has instead of owning up to do them and utilizing the feedback to improve the place. Should you be working with us you'd see were are not "a small group of disgruntled employees". We are many and spread across the entire company.

Advice to Management

Stop posting fake reviews to skew the numbers. People do follow the appropriate channels but nothing is done. We are not heard, lied to and treated as if we don't matter.

"New reviews of life at RigNet NOC are sad lies"

Former Employee - NOC Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - NOC Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at RigNet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. And you will get a check twice a month. If you have a little SatCom and IT background they will hire you.

Cons

It's a place for people who have no other choices in life. I don't believe the positive reviews on this site for one second. If you had the ability to talk to those who are no longer there you would find that most if not all of us are truly happy we no longer have to deal with the horrors of working in the RigNet NOC.

Advice to Management

Find suitable replacements for your selves that truly listen to their people instead of writing post on this website that have no validity.

"NOC Specialist"

Former Employee - NOC in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - NOC in Houston, TX

I worked at RigNet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of any at this time.

Cons

I have a problem with getting night differential payment. Rignet basically stole money from my check by only offering graveyard shift differential to "certain " employees, which is very shady business practices.

Advice to Management

EOC-Equal Opportunity Employment. Treat all staff with dignity and respect, not just the selected few. You will then gain respect for good leadership skills.

"Look Elsewhere"

I worked at RigNet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are some really good people at the bottom who work hard and care about customers.

Cons

Absolutely horrible company to work for. Company continuously wastes money on equipment not needed or in shoddy billing practices, then turns around and lays off 20% of the company because "there is no money".

Company is extremely top heavy and ruled by the "good ole boy" network of a few people. They are the untouchables

RIgNet buys other companies than systematically removes all the former employees of that company without care or concern for the support of customer's needs.

RigNet lies to customers constantly.

Advice to Management

There is no advice that can be given to managment as they are the root cause of the problems with the company. As long as the current staff of VP's (and there are a lot of them) are in place this company has no chance at success.

"Sad Day at RigNet"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at RigNet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well, once again more layoffs. It seems that this company is getting its "@55" handed once again. What was once a great company back in the day, is nothing more than a "on the chopping block". RIP

Cons

The new "executive" team that is left will not be able to resurrect this floundering company. Removal of the "VP/CTO" who has been there for such a long time, really has not contributed to this ailing dilemma. Perhaps a "new direction" is required but with the removal of lame duck executives only open up what could be constituted as a possible buy out of RigNet. Time will tell but I will not be here for long!!!

Advice to Management

Remove all the high-paid-no-good-for-the-company executives to at least save the real internal work force.

"Leave this chaotic, joyless company ASAP."

Current Employee - Operations in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Operations in Houston, TX

I have been working at RigNet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is a paycheck; nothing more and always less.

Cons

The two previous CEOs are gone. The new CEO just let go 12% of the employees without consulting what few managers are left on how it would affect customer service or internal operations. It was explained away with corporate-speak-gobbledygook. For a laugh, join a Town Hall Meeting; or, just read the announcement about July’s reorganization and 12% reduction of employees

The previous, bloated, supercilious Executive Team is still there. The amount of VPs for a company this size is shocking. And it is all about them. So don’t expect the dismissive, insulting environment of treating employees as nuisances to change.

Every quarter brings layoffs and a new, grand plan that whiplashes even more employees out the door. There is no continuity, patience or investment in a sustainable, long-term plan.

The Executive Team has lucrative bonus and severance packages written into their employment agreements; but, company 401k matches for employees have been stopped for a year.

RigNet is the epitome of Corporate Apartheid

Advice to Management

Everybody is a genius at $100 a barrel. But at $40 a barrel, you are who you really are. Stop blaming the employees and accept that fact. If you can’t accept it then help the few customer service employees left or just shut up.

"****Worst Company Ever, Run Away from these Idiots****"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA

Pros

There are some really great people in the foxholes. There are some really great people that work behind the scenes to make things work. These people are praised by the customers but management could care less. Working for a company that could care one bit about its people and more about the investors is horrible. For those who drink the RigNet Kool Aid and get on their knees and do whatever it takes to keep your job this is a great place for you.

Cons

This is the worst management of a company in the world. "Good Ole Boy System", if you are not willing to bow down and sell your soul to the devil this is a great place for you.

This company's management is so worried about what the competition is doing rather that worrying about their own house. This will become the downfall of these clowns.

Advice to Management

Sell the company and let someone who knows what to do run it while there is still some sort of customer base left. Otherwise the few good folks you have left will just continue to soldier on for the good of the customer but will not forget all the great folks that were laid off on July 11, 2016. You idiots will never restore morale due to what you have done.

CEO, you are new to RigNet but if you were a man you would take a long look at this last layoff and realize your advisors or clowns. Be a man and get rid of the advisors and make your own decisions otherwise you will just be a puppet just like the last 2 CEOs to the board of investors that really run this disaster.