Right Stuf Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Shawne Kleckner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent place to work!"

I have been working at Right Stuf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people work here. People are caring, enthusiastic and fun. Company has fun events ranging from a Scavenger Hunt to Free Throw Contest during March Madness. Activities are planned throughout the year for employees to have fun while they work. Great atmosphere and energy!

Cons

No cons at this time.

2. "Passionate coworkers"

I have been working at Right Stuf full-time

Pros

I have never been employed anywhere that has such a high amount of employees that are passionate about what they do. So many folks here love the work they do, and the industry we are in.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

No advice at this time.

3. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grimes, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grimes, IA

I have been working at Right Stuf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, always have different activities for the employees through out each month as a way to garner team spirit.

Cons

No cons at this time.

"Not what it used to be."

I worked at Right Stuf full-time

Pros

The benefits and discounts were pretty good. I enjoyed working with many of my co-workers.

Cons

2 years ago, this place was a great place to work. I can totally agree with the latest positive reviews...if it were 2 years ago. Sadly, those times came to an end. The company went through several large changes that saw several employees lose their jobs and moral to drop. Many started looking out for just themselves so they wouldn't lose their jobs. I felt like I was seen as number rather than a person. A very big company feeling in a small company setting.

Advice to Management

I would very much like to see each department treated more fairly. Most departments seem to take a backseat to marketing/merchandising. It is obvious why the job satisfaction is so much higher there. You should really address the complaints in these reviews rather than have HR dismiss them especially when they haven't been there that long and haven't seen these issues first hand. One last thing, the customer service manager spends at least 1 to 2 hours a day either texting, talking, and etc. You may want to look into that :).

Mar 14, 2017 – VP & COO

Thank you for your feedback.

Right Stuf is anything but a small company, it has been enjoying double digit growth 3 consecutive years in a row. In addition to it's growth it has added more than... More

"Horrible Employer"

I worked at Right Stuf full-time

Pros

None really unless you like Anime then you at least get discounts.

Cons

All of the negative reviews have nailed it, the only postive one is really from an executive. This place will take your soul, use you to clean up messes and create new more efficient processes then shove you out when certain members of management feel threatened by your knowledge. The hourly staff is viewed as completely expendable even though it is their long hours that help keep the money flowing and the customers happy. To be honest i have never worked with such egotistical, self centered management in my life. I am glad I chose to leave i feel much better now and hope that this will help inform future empoyees what to expect.

Advice to Management

The owner should take a look at why the company no longer has long term employees and make some changes.

Feb 20, 2017 – HR Manager

Fortunately, all individuals are entitled to their opinions but being that all posts to Glassdoor are anonymous (as was your post), to claim the positive a review was by an Executive seems a bit... More

"Kills enthusiasm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grimes, IA

I worked at Right Stuf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good discount on products. Will never shop with company again after how I was treated.

Cons

Manager will give you no training then hold you accountable when you do things the way they asked. Create special rules or work hours for certain employees while everyone else in the same position can do wherever they want. Punishes you for not working because a relative passed. Does not care how much you support the business with your personal finances during employment. Gets upset when you show inative even when inative is validated later. Came in very enthusiastic & supportive of the business & they killed it in six months. Always treated co workers & management with nothing but respect despite being given none in return.

Advice to Management

Look to yourself if something isn't done right rather than passing it on to subordinate who are following the instructions you gave them. Have consistent policies for all employees. If you are too busy to train your employees that falls on you. People need to be able to have the tools before they can be expected to perform.

Feb 20, 2017 – HR Manager

While we appreciate your comments, we wished you had shared this with us while you were still an employee. Most of the topics you provided feedback on are covered in our Employee Handbook and if you... More

7. "Right Stuf for the Right People"

I have been working at Right Stuf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work for Right Stuf are the people. People are engaging and passionate about their roles. We have some amazing tenure. Professionals are acknowledge for their contributions to the success of the company.

Cons

Change is difficult for people. The company is growing and with that growth changes need to be made that not all people agree with. This will cause turnover from either voluntary or requested by management. If people don't want to engage and/or embrace change they should find somewhere they can be happier.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with staff. Reasons why changes happen should be transparent.

The owner of the company continues to challenge the employees to have FUN. Life is short. Enjoy what you do. Core Values are reinforced and celebrated monthly.

"Saying One Thing, and Doing Another"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grimes, IA

I worked at Right Stuf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work here are great. Getting to know them definitely made it difficult to leave.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. When I first started, it seemed like morale was decent, and ownership cared about the company. The longer I was there, the more obvious it became that was not the case. The management team says that they value feedback, and provide employees with feedback, but they don't. They don't want employees to gossip (to the point that they intentionally withhold information - what do you think that makes employees do?!), but then they gossip to and about the employees. They do not let employees know if there is an issue until they've basically already made the decision to terminate them - no corrective action on the employee's part will change their mind. Upper management kept saying that ownership made the worst business decision by hiring friends, replaced them, and then... hired their BFF, who they also live with. Employees do not feel comfortable coming forward with issues because of the relationship. That sort of hypocrisy does not breed trust. Upper management fails to notice the trickle down effect - your employees won't stop gossiping when you are doing that very thing, and they aren't going to want to work for someone they can't trust. It seems as though ownership has lost their passion for the business, and turned over the reins to people who care more about themselves than the people making the business run.

Advice to Management

Put your money where your mouth is. Provide constructive feedback, stop gossiping, and be transparent about changes. Saying you do those things IS different from actually doing them.

Feb 20, 2017 – HR Manager

We really appreciate and value your feedback. We have actually made great strides in fixing a number of the issues you brought up, including hiring a Human Resources leader who the employees feel... More

"Not Good For The Little People"

I have been working at Right Stuf full-time

Pros

Anime discounts and access to new stuff and for a fan like me that is why I'm here.

Cons

Management talks about employees with other employees regarding both personal and job issues and thinks that's ok. Moral is really low, I have been through growth changes in other companies but this is by far worst handling by management I have seen. The happy workplace is a façade, The owner has lost control of his business which saw many long term employees leave or be forced out. Most people (including myself) I spend time with at work are in constant fear for their job and try to stay off of managements radar.

Advice to Management

The owner brought the company this far himself he should remember that and fix the mess he put us all in. He did care once upon a time which makes it hurt even more,

Feb 20, 2017 – HR Manager

We respectfully disagree with your post as we do not consider any of our Right Stuf team members as "The Little People". Our team members ALL play an instrumental part in the overall success of the... More

"wrong stuf"

I worked at Right Stuf full-time

Pros

Was a good employer until 2014. Good benefits for now.

Cons

In my experience the work environment is toxic, ruled by fear and the power struggles with management are horrific. There is no job security at this company at any level.

Advice to Management

Get some managerial training and replace the destructive executives.