RightScale Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Michael Crandell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Still gaining traction with target market" (in 2 reviews)

• "If you enjoy being challenged and working hard, RightScale's a great place to be" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Sales Development Representative Intern"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

- Very accomodating to your schedule
    - Very friendly staff and atmosphere
    - Beers on tap!
    - Pretty much an open door policy
    - Open workspace

Cons

There are pretty much no cons (from my experience)

2. "Challenging work, Amazing company culture"

Former Employee - Senior SDR in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior SDR in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at RightScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Simply put, RightScale will provide you with a sales & technology education second to none. Working with bleeding edge technology and the most recognized F500 companies in the world will require you to bring your best everyday. I was encouraged and challenged professionally everyday to better myself and our services to customers. The leadership is experienced/respected and the culture is fantastic. If you have an opportunity to work here - take it.

Cons

Too many perks? Too close to the beach?

Advice to Management

The employees believe in you - keep innovating and progressing.

"Stellar people, leading technologies, challenging market"

Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at RightScale full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a technologist, coming to work was FUN almost every day. Working with NoSQL, message buses, and cloud services; doing server-side, client-side and front end development; building software that interacts with every facet of cloud computing (financial, management and orchestration) -- all of these experiences broadened my career tremendously.

Another boon of working at RightScale was the supportive management team, who encouraged me to switch between the management and technical track to see where my strengths lay. Although I ultimately gravitated toward the technical, the organizational and leadership skills that I gained during my time as a team lead will serve me well for the rest of my career.

Last but not least, RightScale's people culture is an asset: warm, genuine people are the norm; transparency and openness are embedded into the culture; the executive team deliver a monthly all-hands meeting to talk product development, finances, or anything else that the employees want to ask about. Coming from a job at a highly political company, it took me a few years to adjust and realize that if I ever wanted to know something, I simply had to ask. On a personal level, the friendships I forged at RightScale have endured after I left because good people are hard to find and this company is full of them.

Cons

The cloud computing market is very dynamic, which has required RightScale to change over the years both in terms of product offering and target market. The result is a big platform that's powerful, but which takes a lot of elbow grease to keep up and running. I was lucky enough to grow along with the platform, but newer engineers sometimes get daunted by the expansiveness of it all and it can take a full year before they're proficient with the whole platform.

In the past, it was sometimes a struggle, as an engineer, to understand software requirements or iterate on already-released features; communication was sometimes lacking between product management, customer success, and the development teams, and customer feedback didn't always make its way to the right people. Thankfully, some recent changes have nipped most of these problems in the bud; RightScale has changed with the times and feels like a very different company than it did when I started.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace self-organizing teams and empower/challenge developers to be front and center with customers, both before and after they build a feature.

Continue your longtime trend of transparency and honesty; in the tech space, coming from management, both of those assets are in short supply.

Make sure that the employees understand the larger trends that drive customers' requests and understand where the market is headed next; they will help drive the company.

"Nice people and fun culture"

Pros

Super smart people and an amazing company culture.

Cons

Company is still in start up phase and that can be challenging.

5. "Good Startup"

I worked at RightScale full-time

Pros

Good culture. Feels like family

Cons

growth not proportional to the market

"Amazing Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Sales in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at RightScale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'd like to start off by saying I love working at RightScale and have since I started (despite some very large changes in the company). The people that work here are not only amazing to work with on a personal level but are true professionals that excel in their function helping the company become a better place. The confidence that I have knowing I'm supported in my role by a large team of experts makes doing my job that much more enjoyable.

Working in the industry that we do is also very exciting. Not only being in a rapidly changing and expanding industry but being a leader in the space is something not many people get to experience. Every day there is something new and we get the chance to find and provide solutions to problems that are affecting Enterprises and small companies alike, throughout the world.

Cons

Throughout my time here, I've been a witness to more than one set of layoffs and each time it is an unfortunate event. In the industry RightScale is in and the position we play in the market, there is and will be a continued level of uncertainty about what's next. The hope and goal, is that we continue to do what we can to minimize that uncertainty, expand the business, and continue to achieve a greater level of stability.

Advice to Management

I'm happy with Management and the transparency they provide about the current and future state of the company. They are truly invested in the people and company that work here and it is clear they want to see success for all.

"Best Software Engineering Company in Santa Barbara"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at RightScale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Constant interesting and challenging problems to solve
    Great people (RightScale is like a family)
    Great location
    Yearly employee meetups with employees from all over the world

Cons

We've faced several layoffs in order to adjust for finances, but even if that happens, RightScale is still a great place to have worked when moving on to a new job

"Great company to work for outside of the yearly layoffs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at RightScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is great, and the people are also great.

Cons

The management is not forward looking with the product, and the finances leave a lot to be desired. I went through three layoffs in the 4 years I worked there.

Advice to Management

Figure out the finances so that you don't have near yearly layoffs.

9. "Review"

I have been working at RightScale full-time

Pros

Great work culture, reasonable hours, very smart people to learn from

Cons

Direction of automation changed quite a bit over my tenure. This is good in many respects, but would also wonder how a single direction would have been.

10. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at RightScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room for advancement, great corporate culture and work/life balance, and opportunities to improve yourself on a weekly basis.

Cons

Some customers still need time to be mature enough to fully embrace Cloud Management Platforms.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead with your energetic and optimistic approach!