RightScale Reviews

Updated Jan 4, 2021

4.5
RightScale CEO and Founder Michael Crandell (no image)
Michael Crandell
Pros
  • "A great opportunity for a college student/recent grad to learn about B2B sales and cloud computing(in 12 reviews)

• "Room for advancement, great corporate culture and work/life balance, and opportunities to improve yourself on a weekly basis(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some customers still need time to be mature enough to fully embrace Cloud Management Platforms(in 4 reviews)

• "Low pay in expensive santa barbara(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

A great way to build a resume and get deep into technology trends

Jan 4, 2021 - Systems Architect in Santa Barbara, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

cutting-edge technology; remote friendly; friendly, capable colleagues

Cons

difficulty sustaining revenue; constant competition with cloud providers

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Awesome People!

Aug 18, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and culture. The work was engaging the target market was fresh and new.

Cons

Cloud is hard to sell.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to incubate an engineer

Jun 30, 2020 - Principal Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of exciting new cloud technology

Cons

Ultimately failed to deliver on all the exciting potential of cloud management

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Amazing Company to Work For

Jan 30, 2018 - Sales in Santa Barbara, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'd like to start off by saying I love working at RightScale and have since I started (despite some very large changes in the company). The people that work here are not only amazing to work with on a personal level but are true professionals that excel in their function helping the company become a better place. The confidence that I have knowing I'm supported in my role by a large team of experts makes doing my job that much more enjoyable. Working in the industry that we do is also very exciting. Not only being in a rapidly changing and expanding industry but being a leader in the space is something not many people get to experience. Every day there is something new and we get the chance to find and provide solutions to problems that are affecting Enterprises and small companies alike, throughout the world.

Cons

Throughout my time here, I've been a witness to more than one set of layoffs and each time it is an unfortunate event. In the industry RightScale is in and the position we play in the market, there is and will be a continued level of uncertainty about what's next. The hope and goal, is that we continue to do what we can to minimize that uncertainty, expand the business, and continue to achieve a greater level of stability.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Sales Development Representative

Jul 14, 2017 - Sales Development Representative in Santa Barbara, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

A great company to start your sales career with. Really sets a foundation for your future success, wheter that's at RightScale or any other IT company. One of the main reasons for my strong impression is related to the Sales Manager for the SDR team. He's great in giving you support, both when it comes to giving you the skills to succeed, and also making sure you're feeling welcomed and part of the team. You're surrounded by extremely knowledgable co-workers, who are always supportive in regards to helping you improve your skills, and making sure that you have what you need in order to succeed. You have Account Executives and Account Manager's that you're working closely with, and you can gain a lot from them, as most of them have been in a similar role to you in the past and they are supportive in making sure you have what you need to become as successful as they are. I left RightScale due to an offer from another IT-firm, and the fact that I was moving closer to my family. The skills that I gained from RightScale, allowed me to step into a more senior position at a larger firm, without feeling lost or out of place. All in all, it was a great experience, and something I certainly would recommend. I miss my team a lot, and I'm certain that they'll go on to do great things. Go RightScale!

Cons

Get new ping-pong paddles ;)

6. 5.0

Sales Development Representative Intern

Oct 29, 2018 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Very accomodating to your schedule - Very friendly staff and atmosphere - Beers on tap! - Pretty much an open door policy - Open workspace

Cons

There are pretty much no cons (from my experience)

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

It was OK but the wheels are falling off

Mar 1, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I really loved my coworkers in my particular group. Pretty relaxed and casual work environment. I think the CEO is a really good guy. Work/life balance was good. Free lunches, snacks, bagels.

Cons

Had a manager forced out under what I consider shady circumstances (great manager). Key people have been slowly sliding out the back door. Big layoffs recently. Survival of the company is in serious question. I would be surprised if it was still around in 2015. I think the company is having a serious identity crisis. One of the founders is a genius but can't even look you in the eye and say "good morning." He's a great technology mind but I think he is holding the company back. Insists on public speaking and it is not his thing. Bottom line, the company is on life support. Also, small town if you are Santa Barbara based. Not a lot of jobs - so if you need to find another one, not a lot of choices locally.

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A fun, challenging place to work

May 28, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Although the company has recently reorganized to reflect changes in the cloud space, it has made an increasing effort to maintain the company culture. From free lunch and snacks, fitness classes, a company kickball team, the ping pong table, as well as fun events such as potlucks, easter egg hunts, a new kegerator, and the return of the much-beloved Employee Meetup (by far the best week you'll spend with your coworkers both socially and professionally), there is often a fun way to bond with your fellow coworkers over more than just work. I have found my work to be interesting, and constantly find myself learning new skills and completing projects that have stretched my abilities and allowed me to grow beyond what I expected in my role. I've consistently found everyone I've had to communicate with to be smart and helpful. Even after being with the company for several years, I'm still excited to come to work.

Cons

The company culture suffered a bit after rapid hiring as well as after the reorganization. Teams also became a bit smaller, which sometimes makes it more of a challenge to hit deadlines. However, the smaller teams also provide an opportunity to expand skill sets, and the sense of community is strengthening.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fun, innovative cloud management company!

Mar 16, 2017 - Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

RightScale treats their employees really well. The office is stocked with snacks, drinks, and fancy coffee machines. Lunch is catered once a week, and breakfast another. Yoga and group exercise classes are held three days a week. The company hosts parties and outings a couple times per year for team-building and company-building exercises. The company, and particularly the CTO and engineering architects, are love trying and embracing emerging technologies. This can be really exciting when you work on a new project! If you seek it out you'll be challenged to learn new technologies and find ways to solve difficult problems. There are period 'hackathon' events and engineers are allowed to work on projects they choose for half of each Friday. RightScale is open to hiring remote employees and they make a point to keep remote employees integrated into the culture of the company.

Cons

The cloud management product space is nascent and ambiguous. This is an opportunity for the company to claim its space but it makes it difficult to understand the right path forward and how well the company is doing. It's not always apparent that what you're working on is helping the company.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Innovative product, great leadership, and phenomenal culture!

Aug 3, 2015 - Account Executive in Santa Barbara, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The product is squarely aligned with the enterprise cloud market, and ahead of competitors, which makes RightScale a very exciting place to work if you are in software! In terms of leadership, its hard to imagine a place with more executive support throughout the organization. C of VP level execs are always available and willing to help. And the rest of the org has a great attitude and fun energy - I come into work to be with friends every day. Also - I've been here for two years and have already seen two promotions - you certainly have to work hard to earn it, but the opportunity is there if you want it!

Cons

Hard to think of the downside - I've had a positive experience throughout. The only challenge is the nature of enterprise sales (long and complex) but as our VP of Customer Success would say ---> these are just "opportunities for success" .

1 person found this review helpful