Rimkus Consulting Group Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Consultant

Rimkus Consulting Group Consultant Reviews

Updated Nov 17, 2018

4.1
Rimkus Consulting Group CEO Robert P. Kocher  (no image)
Robert P. Kocher
  1. "Outstanding company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rimkus Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is one of a few companies that put more value on its employees than on profit although they do like to make a profit.

Cons

The management structure increased more and more recently.

Rimkus Consulting Group2018-10-23
  2. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rimkus Consulting Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Variety of work, smart people to work with.

Cons

Fast paced, under performing upper management, slight to no room for growth/upward mobility. Accounting and IT very weak and disorganized. It feels a lot like the 'good old boys network' with lots of ego, dominance, and too many clicks, as mentioned and felt by others.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention and take care of your employees. Group has lost a lot of great people and talent because upper management are not good listeners when it comes to employees and meeting there needs .

Rimkus Consulting Group2018-11-17
  3. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Rimkus Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, enjoyable assignments, mostly good benefits

Cons

401k compensation is subpar compared to other companies

Rimkus Consulting Group2018-04-16
  4. "Great company to work for!!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Rimkus Consulting Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Rimkus is a wonderful company that I loved working for! They truely care about their employees and families! They expect superb work, which says a lot about their values and their clients! Your opportunity to grow and learn is endless at Rimkus! They want their employees knowledgeable and will do everything to make that happen! If you are looking for a well rounded, fun, and caring company to work for, Rimkus... is the place for you!!

Cons

I really do not have any cons as I did not encounter any problems at Rimkus.

Rimkus Consulting Group2017-04-11

"Semi-Retired Principal Consutant"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant

I have been working at Rimkus Consulting Group part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Many good and smart technical people. Company is very fair with employees. Above average compensation/benefits and excellent mileage reimbursement. Billable goal of 80% is standard with the engineering consulting industry (I have worked for five companies and it was all the same). Other operational goals are also achievable. Can often work at home. Gives the technical employees many opportunities to succeed. Overall..., a good company to work for: fair and flexible.

Cons

Individual managers can be difficult, which is understandable in a multiple office company. Accounting department was dismal, but understand change is in the wind. High turnover in admin people.

Advice to Management

Get accounting dept in shape to help rather than hinder employees. Think about higher admin wages; you expect a lot from them and higher salaries keep good people.

Rimkus Consulting Group2017-02-13

"Leading Forensic Engineering"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in South Florida, FL

I have been working at Rimkus Consulting Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Challenging assignments, opportunities for further learning, flexible hours (huge benefit), good people to work with, fair pay, what more could you ask for..... Well managed and management is actively seeking growth opportunities.

Cons

Administrative duties can eat into productive billing time.

Advice to Management

Simplify and integrate our reporting requirements.

Rimkus Consulting Group2017-03-16

"Principal Consultant"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Rimkus Consulting Group part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Rimkus is a rainmaker - so if you're a technician, its a great place for you. They bring you the work, and it can be as much as you can handle, and you do it. That's important because some consulting groups expect you to get your own clients. The only responsibility you have is to understand what the client needs, and formulate an investigation plan to answer their questions. Not every assignment, but certainly... most, have specific circumstances that keep you motivated. With this diversity, Rimkus presents a terrific opportunity to learn. Their management and your associates have tremendous experience to guide you, and they know the forensic market. This is important when you grow into legal work and you have the opportunity to tell insurance adjusters, attorneys and jurors what YOU think. For certain, the magic of Rimkus is the people. On another subject, once you've matured to work independently,Rimkus may allow you to work remotely. This flexibility may also apply to work hours, all you have to do is service your clients. Your only limitation is you. Grow to wherever you want. Like most consulting firms, Rimkus wants you to bill 32 hrs a week, but they gave me 3 months to get there. I was lucky and would up on a construction site watching forensic demolition and my numbers came easy. You'll be lucky too, its just the kind of place it is. The 32 is not a big deal.

Cons

I was asked for a 'con,' so I'll conjure up one: You have to understand that Rimkus is going to teach you the forensic business, which means there's no reason why you cant leave them and open your own business, especially if you too are a rain maker. So expect them to require you sign some restrictive separation agreements. Rimkus's contribution to the 401k plan wasn't generous. But I guess they figured they... gave you the cash so you could decide on how you wanted to spend it.

Advice to Management

OK, you asked. How about sending retirees the yearly gift card on their wedding anniversaries? Just kidding. Maybe a Christmas card?

Rimkus Consulting Group2017-02-21

"New to Forensics"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Rimkus Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Rimkus has provided me a great transition from the design based work of my previous position to the forensic driven assignments I now do on a daily basis. They have provided me with a wide variety of technical support and have provided me with a strong group of contacts within the company to reach out to for advice or assistance in my new line of work. Rimkus has placed a value on me as an engineer and has... invested months of time in preparing me to be successful rather than just throwing me out to produce immediate billable numbers. The other engineers I have shadowed or been paired with for reviews have been extremely helpful and professional. My co-workers and superiors regularly stop what they are working on to help me understand a concept better or provide advice to me when I am stuck. The attitude here is very relaxed and flexible. I am able to make my own hours to whatever works best for me and I am able to work from home when that best suits me. The balance between time on the road doing inspections and in the office breaks the monotony experienced in other engineering fields.

Cons

Long work days due to extended travel is always a possibility. Some assignments require you make personal sacrifices to get them done. Some assignments require getting dirty or performing physical work. (something I personally enjoy, but some would not)

Advice to Management

Continue to place value on the engineers and their development. Maintain the helpful attitude that I have seen throughout the company.

Rimkus Consulting Group2017-02-15

"Boston, Mass(acre)"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Rimkus Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent salary. Other than that, nothing else went well. I don't think Rimkus will sustain in the forensic industry. It's generous to characterize Rimkus operations as poor.

Cons

There's no blueprint for how to be a successful Rimkus consultant/employee. Operational requirements are not documented, and there's pathetic or non-existent "training." Thus, each employee is set up for failure. It's an unsustainable model. I worked in the Boston-area office, which opened in June 2010. To date, local or east-coast management has hired and then fired, one at a time, the first five... professional engineers (PEs) serving mechanical assignments. They're on their sixth mechanical PE as of this writing. Additionally, the Boston-area office is on its fourth different district manager. All this upheaval in about six-and-a-half years. The New York City office has had phenomenal turnover as well. Firings en masse and turnover are the most detectable management "tool" and operational constant at Rimkus. As a licensed mechanical engineer, I was assigned fire investigations involving a residential structure, and also several electrical appliances. I have zero education, certification, background, or training in fires or electrical engineering. And because I had learned the three mechanical PEs before me had been fired, I did my best to learn and investigate these new-to-me areas because I was afraid of losing my job too ... which happened anyway. It is clear to me that Rimkus was and is far more concerned about revenue, than about providing Clients with an as-advertised, bonafide expert PE. The NSPE code of ethics (Rules of Practice clauses II.2 and II.2.a) prohibits PEs from undertaking foreign assignments. Out of fear of termination, I violated these clauses often. Once employed by Rimkus, you'll be subjected to the same duress and ethical dilemmas. Plainly, it's malpractice ... and doing the right thing is up to you. All failure is the fault of management, not individual engineers. I'm a man of integrity and character.

Advice to Management

Train managers, technical reviewers and ALL new hires in root-cause analysis. Stop firing highly-educated professionals for the shortcomings of management, and speaking of management, stop putting non-technical people in "managerial" positions, overseeing tried-and-true engineers, just to save on salary. Non-engineers have no clue what's involved in root-cause analyses of failures and other mishaps, or how much... time is involved in resolving an assignment. It embarrassed me reading their performance reviews of me. They know not what they're doing. Read anything by W. Edwards Deming.

Rimkus Consulting Group2017-02-11

"Proceed with caution"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Rimkus Consulting Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is a wide variety of work. Generally, you have lots of freedom with your schedule. Compensation is good.

Cons

The culture sucks. Management at Rimkus expects 50-60 hours of work per week from its employees. Even if you meet that expectation, you can expect to be reprimanded once a week for violating any of a million trivial rules. For example, you didn't put two spaces between all the sentences in your report. Every office does things differently. Yet, each one insists they are doing it the right way, the Rimkus way. If... you have to work with different offices, you will be reprimanded, and sometimes berated, more than once a week and threatened with termination on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Stop reprimanding employees and threatening to fire them for mistakes made. If a mistake happens, don't create another rule for everyone else. Deal with it on a local level. Set realistic expectations for time billed. Include all the overhead work time you require for every job. Add it up. It shouldn't exceed 40 hours. Unify practices across offices.

Rimkus Consulting Group2016-11-17