Rimkus Consulting Group Senior Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Rimkus Consulting Group Senior Consultant Reviews

Updated Oct 23, 2018

4.2
Rimkus Consulting Group CEO Robert P. Kocher  (no image)
Robert P. Kocher
  1. "Outstanding company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rimkus Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is one of a few companies that put more value on its employees than on profit although they do like to make a profit.

Cons

The management structure increased more and more recently.

Rimkus Consulting Group2018-10-23

"Boston, Mass(acre)"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Rimkus Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent salary. Other than that, nothing else went well. I don't think Rimkus will sustain in the forensic industry. It's generous to characterize Rimkus operations as poor.

Cons

There's no blueprint for how to be a successful Rimkus consultant/employee. Operational requirements are not documented, and there's pathetic or non-existent "training." Thus, each employee is set up for failure. It's an unsustainable model. I worked in the Boston-area office, which opened in June 2010. To date, local or east-coast management has hired and then fired, one at a time, the first five... professional engineers (PEs) serving mechanical assignments. They're on their sixth mechanical PE as of this writing. Additionally, the Boston-area office is on its fourth different district manager. All this upheaval in about six-and-a-half years. The New York City office has had phenomenal turnover as well. Firings en masse and turnover are the most detectable management "tool" and operational constant at Rimkus. As a licensed mechanical engineer, I was assigned fire investigations involving a residential structure, and also several electrical appliances. I have zero education, certification, background, or training in fires or electrical engineering. And because I had learned the three mechanical PEs before me had been fired, I did my best to learn and investigate these new-to-me areas because I was afraid of losing my job too ... which happened anyway. It is clear to me that Rimkus was and is far more concerned about revenue, than about providing Clients with an as-advertised, bonafide expert PE. The NSPE code of ethics (Rules of Practice clauses II.2 and II.2.a) prohibits PEs from undertaking foreign assignments. Out of fear of termination, I violated these clauses often. Once employed by Rimkus, you'll be subjected to the same duress and ethical dilemmas. Plainly, it's malpractice ... and doing the right thing is up to you. All failure is the fault of management, not individual engineers. I'm a man of integrity and character.

Advice to Management

Train managers, technical reviewers and ALL new hires in root-cause analysis. Stop firing highly-educated professionals for the shortcomings of management, and speaking of management, stop putting non-technical people in "managerial" positions, overseeing tried-and-true engineers, just to save on salary. Non-engineers have no clue what's involved in root-cause analyses of failures and other mishaps, or how much... time is involved in resolving an assignment. It embarrassed me reading their performance reviews of me. They know not what they're doing. Read anything by W. Edwards Deming.

Rimkus Consulting Group2017-02-11