Ringling College of Art & Design Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "I am a Junior Illustration Major at Ringling College of Art and Design"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Ringling College of Art & Design (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderfully faculty and technical facilities have help me become prepared for a job in the Art and Design industry.

Cons

poor location and food services make living on campus stressful and difficult

Advice to Management

listen to your student body

2. "Previous Grad"

Pros

Great network, lots of awesome alums

Cons

Disorganized, lack of facilities for students

3. "Life of a student"

Current Employee - Student
    Current Employee - Student

I have been working at Ringling College of Art & Design full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Some great professors, great working environment, creative work environment, the new library. School club freedom (they really support the clubs here), and great school life events on campus.

Cons

*Could be pricey for some. Administration could sometimes take a while to get through. Lack of food options near the school area, usually you need to cook or go to main street.

Advice to Management

*Communicate with other departments more, there needs to be more of an integral system on speaking out to the student body other than the email system. *Although keep up the good work, I like the new flowers, and the new library is awesome.

5. "Don't work for IT"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Ringling College of Art & Design full-time

Pros

Campus environment and facilities are good.

Cons

Computing area is run in draconian style and IT staff is patronized and taken for granted. Strong word of caution for anyone considering to work in their central computing area.

Advice to Management

Look at turnover in IT and provide anonymous 360 surveys to employees so that management is evaluated from employee perspective.

6. "RA Review"

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Ringling College of Art & Design part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Opportunities to make professional connections with your fellow staffers while you develop skills that can easily be used at any job position.
    * There is a lot of creative freedom with your monthly programs, use them as a chance to get to know your residents better and to take a break from classwork.
    * Lots of snacks! The Residence Life office usually got the leftovers from meetings or programs and the supply closet was always well stocked (just be sure to clean up after yourself).

Cons

* You work a lot of hours (weekly office hours, on top of monthly programs, plus rounds) which will cut into the time you have to work on classwork.
    * Emergencies can and will happen, they can be very stressful but you have Residence Life and Public Safety to support you.
    * All the duty phone ringtones are horrible.

Advice to Management

Professional staff was always happy to assist RAs in any way they could and were very understanding of our hectic class schedules- keep up the good work!

7. "Admissions Counselor"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Ringling College of Art & Design full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This job provided a lot of great travel opportunities. The students were wonderful to work with and the campus is beautiful. During the summer you work shorter hours which is great, and the insurance is amazing.

Cons

Very low salary for employees who aren't supervisors, myself and another counselor worked two jobs in order to pay our bills. There is absolutely no room for growth, and they would rather hire from outside than promote from within. Upper leadership is content in their jobs since they have been around for so long, which shows in their behavior and attitude. Certain management has told employees that "they could hire anyone off the street to do this job", so beware that this is how they will treat you.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate and reward hard workers and the people who go above and beyond.

8. "IT"

Pros

Great Place, Supportive and Challenging

Cons

Working with other departments can be frustrating

9. "Good work-study job"

Former Employee - Gallery Assistant in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Gallery Assistant in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Ringling College of Art & Design (More than a year)

Pros

My job wasn't too demanding of me
    The job I had at the madeby gallery was a good part-time work-study job for a busy Computer Animation student

Cons

The madeby gallery was criticized for needing to decide to either be a gift shop or gallery, but not both. It is still relatively new and needs to find the direction that works best for the company.

Advice to Management

Keep learning, figure out who your target audience is so you can hone your message to them,

10. "Working as a student"

Current Employee - Fitness Center Attendant
    Current Employee - Fitness Center Attendant

Pros

Flexible work hours and other employees will cover or switch shifts with you if something comes up (interview, project deadline, etc.) Which give you the opportunity to pick up extra shifts.

Cons

I honestly haven't had any big negative experiences in this position

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

11. "Motion Design Lab Monitor"

Former Employee - Motion Designer in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Motion Designer in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Ringling College of Art & Design part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is one of the most convenient ways for students to work on campus and the relevant department. As a lab monitor, the tasks were very simple and anyone can do it.

Cons

The work hours can get a bit stressful especially with 5-6 classes that I took. Work can get a bit boring.