Rio Salado College Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Excellent leadership in testing department"

Current Employee - Testing Tech in Avondale, AZ
    Current Employee - Testing Tech in Avondale, AZ

I have been working at Rio Salado College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The managers do a great job setting you up for success and the higher ups do a good job listening to department needs

Cons

They have too many part time employees which means too much turnover. Simply hiring more full timers would solve this issue

Advice to Management

Hire more full timers to combat the high turnover within the department

2. "Okay, poor Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Rio Salado College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits,
    Can help some people -students,

Cons

Management are clueless about managing. They have a PhD in something so somehow they learn management by that simple fact, at least that's how they operate.
    They hire their friends and relatives regardless of qualifications
    They ignore warnings.
    Very very clicky
    Pro-hispanic which is great but they are anti-caucasian. Not sure how they are with other races but I don't think it's great.
    The president walks around and talks to the hispanic employees and ignores most caucasians except the higher management

Advice to Management

Take a course on management.
    Be inclusive.

3. "4 month plus hiring time. Job security very questionable. Very flexible with good pay/decent benefits for FT"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Tempe, AZ

Pros

- Very flexible
    - High pay

Cons

- Super long hiring time
    - Interview process too long
    - Job security is questionable

5. "Adult Education. English Language Learner/HSE"

Former Employee - Instructor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Instructor in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Some Very nice students seeking to better themselves.

Cons

High turn over due to very poor management.

Advice to Management

Familiarize yourself with Dept. of Labor Guidelines. Don't expect hourly instructors to work & not be compensated. People who balk at this are quickly condemned. Treat employees with respect. High turnover for very good reason. Low paying jobs not worth the effort.

6. "i was a student actually"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yucaipa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yucaipa, CA

I worked at Rio Salado College (More than 3 years)

Pros

this was a great experience. i took my entire AA online. The advisors were helpful and most of the teachers were awesome.

Cons

some times it was hard to be disciplined enough. But that was not the schools fault. they are very flexible.!

7. "Awesome place"

Current Employee - Tempe Arizona Graphic Designer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Tempe Arizona Graphic Designer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Rio Salado College (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is very nice and are willing to help you learn.

Cons

You won't get to to brand or create new ideas , because you have to follow a communications guide.

8. "disappointing"

Current Employee - Computer Lab Technician in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Computer Lab Technician in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Rio Salado College part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

not much good, hard to get fired

Cons

Favoritism, poor management, no advancement opportunities from within

Advice to Management

stop slacking

9. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Rio Salado College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A College that looks to compete and improve by overcoming.

Cons

Rio Salado College is one of may sister colleges in Maricopa County that are being driven o the ground by the Chancellor and Governing Board. Rio Salado works twice as hard to maintain and meet the demand of 80k students daily without support from the District. budget Cuts and layers up on layers of policies and regulations are choking the structure of innovation.

Advice to Management

Develop a culture of change and innovations starting at the top with the College Vice Presents who have not produced innovative ideas for the college. People spend time reacting rather than proactive innovation.

10. "Adjunct Faculty - Great second job"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Rio Salado College part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible, Clear guidelines, Great second job

Cons

Limited hours, no benefits, pay varies with courses assigned

11. "It's all adjunct, all the time"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Rio Salado College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

English department has a chair who is revising all the curriculum to make it more relevant in a technological age.

Curriculum and rubrics are provided. The course is ready to teach the day you arrive.

Once you've taught a while, and systemize your grading practices, it becomes simple.

Nice colleagues, great students.

Cons

Only department chairs are full-time. Adjuncts comprise the entire faculty, and the district limits us to half time. They seem to spread the classes around to keep everyone available without filling anyone's dance card.

Because online curriculum is provided, there is no revising or personalizing. You can send in corrections and suggestions, which often turn out to be impossible, and you have to be tactful about helping students understand a confusing assignment.

The technology systems are often unreliable, and the scoring tool is the worst of any I've ever worked with.

Pay is based on enrollment, so by the end, when a few student crises have set in, and the lazier online students have dropped, your paycheck shrinks dramatically. Part of that is that In core classes like English, where the classes are expected to fill, they begin with full pay, and then take the difference off the end. They try to explain that it is possible, but the first time I taught, that was a shock.

I wanted to let you know the exact pay per course, but I'm not sure; pay is confusing to figure out. When they said the quarter was eight weeks long, and named the pay per quarter, it sounded like a livable wage. It turns out that was for the rotating start dates every eight weeks. The classes themselves are either 8 or 14 weeks long (students choose) and the pay is spread over 16 weeks. So it was half the expected pay.

My paycheck reached $800 (bi-weekly) when I once had four classes. That's only possible for overlapping quarters. Three is the limit and that means teaching for any Maricopa Community College District institution. I had friends who once made a great living by teaching ten classes at four schools, but they can't get away with that anymore.

Online pay is the same as in-person courses. So that's a Pro for online, a Con for adding prep, transportation, instruction time, in-person consultations, making handouts, and everything else we do for that.

Enrollment is dropping. We used to be the the only MCCD school accredited for online, but now we compete with all our sister schools for that, and the economy seems to be picking up again. I'm in demand because of my high student evaluations and my specialty, but even my number of classes has dropped.

If you're looking for a hobby or great volunteer service this is it. If you need to make a living, keep looking. I won't be here long myself.

Advice to Management

We provide the service for which all other jobs exist. Pay us what we're worth, and hire the best performers full-time.