KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Riot Games Intern Reviews

Updated Feb 28, 2021

Found 29 of over 771 reviews

4.2
Riot Games CEO Nicolo  Laurent (no image)
Nicolo Laurent

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Riot Games and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Great Internship Program

Aug 20, 2020 - Software Engineering Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive Pay, Housing, Great People, Even continued internship program virtually through COVID-19

Cons

Not a lot of a

2. 4.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great internship, unfortunately remote due to COVID

Feb 28, 2021 - Software Engineering Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good compensation, really good university programs team, and you get to do actual impactful work.

Cons

Sometimes it was hard to get responses from people on my team, but that was expected due to the internship moving online due to COVID-19

3. 3.0
    Former Intern

Jan 7, 2021 - Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

good pay so it was good

Cons

you are forced to play games

4. 4.0
    Current Intern, more than 1 year

Pretty Good

Nov 10, 2020 - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly environment, amazing co-workers, good pay.

Cons

Seems somewhat hostile to women

5. 5.0

Empowering intern program

Aug 11, 2014 - Project Management Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing intern program: We have weekly lunches with senior leadership, weekly outings (Hollywood Bowl, movies, dinners), hackathons, tons of free swag, and presentations to the whole company. The intern team dedicates so much time and energy into making sure we love our time at Riot - and it shows! Great mentors: My direct manager proactively dedicates so much time and energy into ensuring I'm working on projects I love. Everyone I worked with has placed great trust in me and allowed me to try new things, make mistakes, and grow so much. Having the "intern" title also allows me to easily set up lunches, coffee break with anyone in the company -- even senior leadership. The entire company seems invested in empowering interns! Office culture: It's too friendly and fun... I don't know how to return back to college and I can never work at another "serious" company again...

Cons

Riot's fifth manifesto point is "Stay hungry, stay humble" - but there is a loud minority of Rioters who do not live this strongly or at all (through arrogance about their own skills / knowledge or about Riot's success). This was more apparent in the small intern group (potentially some screening issues?) more so than full-time Rioters. Even though it's only a few people, it's worrying for such a young company, and one with only one game, to have members who are so complacent and arrogant. Compensation compared to other high-tech companies (Google, Microsoft, etc.) is lacking, but the overall package and convenience (e.g. housing covered, dinners subsidized) helps make up for it.

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company, great culture, great experience

Oct 8, 2013 - Corporate Marketing MBA Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was working at Riot Games as an MBA intern this summer. It is a truly meaningful experience. Seldom could we work for a company at such rapid growing stage, yet there are already lots of amazingly smart, humble, and passionate people who you could work with and learn from every day! There is no routine or fixed type here. Everyone and everything is unique. You can define your experience and others' experience here.

Cons

Having said that, you might have realized that it's challenging to work in such an environment if you are not a person who likes high autonomy, solving ambiguous problems without much guidance, and can work in a messy situation. If you are looking for well-structured training and guidance, Riot might not be the place for you. Here, you have the freedom to create and grow, but you have to be able to take care of yourself and have a good judgement on when to DIY and when to seek help. And if you don't like fast-paced, sometimes high pressure, and always changing work, then prob. you'll feel very stressed here. It's good to step out of your comfort zone, but you cannot go too far if the challenge gives you more harm than good.

7. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

THE place to be if you're the right culture fit

Aug 11, 2014 - Software Engineer Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Riot provided housing that was right next to the office (five minute walk). - Weekly lunches with important people from all across the company; got to meet people like the LCS casters, executive sound producers, directors of engineering, project managers, etc. - Worked on important project(s); treated like full time (gave presentations in front of the whole company, had 100% say in any type of planning meetings, got whatever benefits full time Rioters got) - Met amazing people; everyone is willing to help if you just ask - Work life balance is encouraged; they didn't want me to be stressed out so they made sure I played games and took breaks - Lots and lots of swag

Cons

The internship program is not structured very well in terms of managing interns. According to most of the interns, Riot was very slow at getting back to them about how the interview process is going (and even later giving out the job offers). Some interns even talked about how their manager didn't know what to do with them. Most of the events were pretty good, but other companies do it better. There needs to be a dedicated team that focuses on hiring interns, ensuring everyone has something to do, and setting up intern events.

6 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Riot Games is challenging, but it pushes me to my limits so that I can grow and expand my skills in a short time span.

Aug 12, 2013 - Corporate Marketing Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great people (so passionate and engaged with what they do) - Awesome perks, benefits, facilities - Feedback oriented (everyone is so open to feedback and they truly appreciate the criticism) - Cool on-boarding experience (what other company has a denewbification process?!) - Rewarding challenges (I personally enjoy being challenged because it lets me know that I always have something to improve on and I will only get better from here) - Culture (Riot's culture is so open, positive, player-focused, passionate, intellectual, engaging, rewarding, caring and all other adjectives that can describe its awesomeness. It's hard to top what environment the Rioters are immersed in).

Cons

- Everyone is so busy (sometimes it's hard to grab people you need or set up meetings with important stakeholders because they're just booked for a long period of time) - Clique-y groups (it isn't everywhere, and lots of people are friendly and always reaching out to other Rioters, but sometimes you can see a couple cliques here and there. It's not much of an issue though because people are so open to meeting new people).

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Absolutely incredible experience.

Sep 10, 2013 - QA Intern/Dev Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've interned two summers there, and to sum it up quickly: great atmosphere and culture. Everyone is happy, everyone works hard, and everyone loves what they do. It's not bosses that pressure you to stay late into the night; it's Rioters' love for the game and the company that drive them to stay late. And I'm serious when I say people love the company. Riot treats everyone very well, and in return people do the best they can. Even other game industry veterans told me that Riot was unlike any other game company out there. You feel free to grow in whichever way you choose. You can also work whatever hours you want, as long as people can still schedule meetings with you. The company also often sends employees to events and on trips for free. The upper brass are amiable; even as an intern, I've talked to the CEO and President at least 5 times, and they're just as excited as you are about the game. They're out there to deliver a great gaming experience, not to make money like many other companies. Overall I'd have to say culture is the greatest part about Riot; it's both positive and powerful.

Cons

Santa Monica is an expensive city to live in, and commute is sometimes an issue if you live a town over (LA traffic).

10. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Amazing company and internship experience

Aug 16, 2014 - Software Engineer Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

As an intern, you're not thrown in a corner and told to work on projects that'll never see the light of day. From day one, you have the opportunity to work on awesome projects that make the player experience better. Feedback is extremely important at Riot. Whether you're an intern or a veteran, giving and receiving feedback can help you and your team improve your craft, so you can kick some butt! Failing is a bad thing, right? Nope, we fail all the time. We learn from our fails and share them with others so it doesn't happen twice. Riot is a great place to work for humble and ambitious gamers that are interested in solving challenging problems, constantly learning, and improving their craft.

Cons

Work/Life Balance can be tough sometimes. Most of my days were from 10:30am to around 9-10pm. Meeting throughout the week take up a fair amount of time, so there's slightly less time to work on tasks.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 Reviews