Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Nicolo Laurent

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/Life balance requires refocusing on smaller teams" (in 63 reviews)

• "While they catch up, it's created some significant growing pains that come with the territory" (in 32 reviews)

1. "It's chilling out here lol"

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

good culture good atmosphere love the people

Cons

Dont have any significant downside

"I believe in League of Legends but Riot's leadership doesn't haver our best interest at heart"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great teams
    Compelling work and projects
    Can learn a lot in your field
    Benefits + meals (lunch, dinner, kitchens, cafe, pc bang)
    Medium salary

Cons

Bro culture
    Talent (HR) / Riot doesn't protect against retaliation / harassment
    COO w confirmed harassment gets 2 months w/o pay
    Very difficult to get salary increase / promotion. You work the title for a year first, with no actual path for promotion.
    Company promotes silence after harassment expose

Advice to Management

Fire confirmed sexual harassers
    Make salary bands visible to employees

3. "A great place to work for people that love playing and making video games."

Current Employee - Development Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are surrounded by extremely passionate and skilled coworkers.

Cons

Open floor plan allows for many interruptions.

4. "Riot is a place I look back fondly on"

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training.
    Access to world class talent.
    Salary.

Cons

Different teams, equals very different experiences.
    Lack of clear communication about expectations.

"Get it together"

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Benefits are good
    - Lots of talented, capable people working there
    - Just enough agile process to feel organized but not buried
    - Projects are exciting, never worked on anything I didn't love
    - Lots of fun extracurriculars or groups to join
    - Food is great

Cons

As part of Riot's "feedback culture", you are expected to call out things that are wrong. So you do, over and over and over, until tiredness runs through your very marrow. The trick is, no one is actually expected to do anything about it.

- Yes, there is some very ingrained sexism.
    - Management is a mess, training is completely inconsistent. I had some very amazing managers and some very poor ones.
    - Career paths and levels are sketchily defined in most disciplines. Programming and art are the exception. Disclipline leadership is aware but nothing was fixed over multiple years.
    - Leadership interference and absurdly high standards make shipping R&D projects far more difficult than it should be
    - West LA traffic

Advice to Management

- Riot's actions speak louder than any pretty words, and those actions have not been good. - Clean your house, really clean it, and face the problems that exist rather than fighting against the change.
    - You have the data. Mentor women and underepresented groups that are starving for it. Fix the pay gap you are papering over with inconsistent titles.
    - Stop trying to prevent your employees from talking about the issues and start actually fixing the issues instead.

"Zero Integrity Workplace"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, let's face it in games knowing you have a paycheck to come home to grants peace of mind. The campus amenities like coffee and free lunch are a nice perk. I've been able to grow my career here and have been given significantly more responsibility over my time at the studio.

Cons

Absolutely zero integrity when it comes to consistent management of people. The promise of cultural change has been mostly lip service to check a few boxes. Many senior leaders call the Kotaku article "blown out of proportion" or "just a case of a few bad managers." I assure you this is not the case but no one wants to admit the problem is in their house. Discussions of how people are feeling have been all but squelched by a "no rumor milling, no discussions of the lawsuit" gag order instituted by the CEO. Hilariously the studio decided a 2 month holiday vacation was the appropriate response to a COO who has made many feel excluded, uncomfortable and harassed. The takeaway? As long as you perform well in your role it doesn't matter how you treated Rioters 4 years ago. Not acceptable. Our new heros are people who write up a set of fluffy meaningless values. Seriously Riot? We deserve better than cheesy lines like "dream big" and "thrive together." The trainings that have been rolled out in order to get at our cultural issues have been massive wastes of time which have led to zero change in the day to day experience of working at the studio. It is sad to see such a great studio turn to this.

Advice to Management

Real consequences for those who have violated our policies, regardless of when it happened. That includes the most senior members of your boys club. Read the exit interviews that are in your inbox, and I mean actually read them. The many Rioters who are leaving are trying to tell you something. Oh and the surveys? Stop being reassured by the 90% positive numbers. Realize it has always been the minority groups which have been unhappy here, never the 90%.

"Perfectly imperfect"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At its core, Riot is humble. Clearly, mistakes have been made, but when flaws or failures are identified Riot not only strives to fix them, but also holds itself highly accountable for them happening in the first place.

Leadership genuinely cares about making the company a safe and prosperous place for every Rioter. Steps are being taken to properly identify and remove bad actors, as well as ensure that every person here understands how to be their best self and how to combat wrongdoing. I have strong faith that Riot will emerge from the recent turmoil as an example for other gaming and tech companies to live up to. Riot is always willing to listen to feedback and learn from its mistakes. The company's not perfect, but it aspires to correct its imperfections at every opportunity.

While no company is entirely free from office politics, it is not difficult to navigate them, or avoid them, or call them out here. I fear that some Rioters take for granted how much voice and empowerment they have here.

Beyond that, Riot treats us very well in general. We have excellent benefits, amenities, work/life balance, perks, and (to my knowledge) very competitive pay. Having worked in other companies and in other industries, Riot is by far the most refreshing environment I've encountered in my professional life. I can trust fellow Rioters to do their best and I can trust Riot to do right by me.

Cons

I would say Riot's biggest fault is that many career growth paths are not well defined. This issue is exacerbated by the fact that Riot strives to hire very talented, ambitious people. It's not quite as much of a struggle for the mature disciplines at Riot, such as Technology and Art. Those are large segments of the overall org, but there are many disciplines that need to catch up on this front. On the plus side, Riot has identified this as an area for vast improvement and is taking organization-spanning steps to improve it. I'm excited to see the fruits of those efforts.

Advice to Management

Please keep listening and communicating! I've been with Riot for about five years, and I've never felt more connected to or confident in leadership than I am now. I truly hope the current state of visibility, accessibility, and transparency from leadership continues.

Riot's up against some massive challenges, but I'm confident leadership has built momentum in the right direction. If they stay the course we'll grow to be stronger than ever. I believe the future is bright for Riot.

8. "Game player support representative"

Current Employee - Game Support in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Game Support in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid, steady full time employment

Cons

No possibility of cross training
    Understaffed

"Failing fast"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice campus, great talents in the working team, good enough compensation in gaming industry

Cons

Riot made some impressive breakthroughs in early days. (Game as a service, esports, talent-focused value). Sadly, like many successful companies that failed (Blackberry, Nokia), Riot leadership team builds up a big ego and hasn’t been humble and lived up to the manifestos. Bad management, silo teams with overlapping responsibilities, one of the worst compensation system as such a sizable company, inexperienced and bro mgmt team (D20). A CEO who never manages a company, a CTO who didn’t understand work place is not ur frat

There are always plenty of excuses not to try new things. Fears of failure result in no new games after so many years and countless missed opportunities. Just because you don’t know how to do it or you are afraid to fail is not the reason to stop new ideas. No strategy nor vision because the management team doesn’t know how to do it and never did it before. (First time! ).

Companies who can’t continue inventing and being humble always fail. Riot is going on that path with the current leadership team.

Advice to Management

Admit you don’t know how to do it and hire people to do it

"A sexist environment driven by gender discrimination and inequality."

Former Employee - Engineering in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best talent you’ll work with in the industry, amazing health insurance, and open PTO.

Cons

Riot hires talented individuals and fails to let them do their jobs. They discriminate against women and damage careers.

Riot also terminates people when they speak out against incompetent management, and they have a track record of using the latter against employees by calling out “performance issues” with no documentation.

If employees communicate feeling unsafe to HR (“Talent”), Talent will do whatever they can to out you. No one is “safe” and they’ll work hard to push you out.

Advice to Management

It’s time to fire two of your three main executives. They are core parts of Riot’s pending downfall, and the the Kotaku articles call that out.