Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Nicolo Laurent

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Increasing politics, not-so-perfect work-life balance" (in 64 reviews)

• "Growing pains: Flat organizational structure doesn't work well when you start to hit 3k people" (in 32 reviews)

"One of the best places in the Industry to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing Benefits.
    Passionate People.
    Diverse Teams.
    Progressive Culture.
    Good work/life balance.
    Actually cares about its employees deeply.
    Great pay.

Cons

Different teams can give very different experiences.
    Not given a ton of direction, need to be very self-guided.
    Has grown very fast recently, and sometimes left some teams and structures disorganized.

"I didn't know how bad it was, until it was too late"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits (medical, dental vision, etc). Incredible perks (unlimited PTO, meals, stocked kitchens), fFitness classes, PC Bang (game room), Tech Bar (those geniuses saved me so many times) and a few amazing people.

Cons

For anyone who has been in Riot read the class-action lawsuit knows almost every single thing called out in the Kotaku article and the lawsuit are legitimate and real. Although I personally got frustrated more than I would have liked (I tend to be headstrong), my performance reviews were solid and I was never told that there may be issues with my position. Then, out of the blue I was laid off.

However, it wasn't even the being let go without explanation that hurt the most. It was the being mistreated at every step along the way. Seriously no one could tell me for over 6 months WHO my manager was. They told me I was not a "strategic thinker" even though they knew nothing about why I advocated for the changes I did. They completely disregarded a woman who left in my dept who called sexism when she and I were both overlooked for a position that was then given to a man who had 2.5 years of experience (when we both had over 10 years of experience). They refused to answer why he was given this role when he clearly had far less experience than both she and I.

They then ignored that this man then went on a power trip and would not prioritize any of my work (despite having PROOF that my efforts were in fact paying significant dividends).

That man then disinvited me to meetings that I should have been apart of and made decisions about me that didn't actually involve me. He wouldn't respond to communications and questions from me that he knew I need to be successful in my role but he had no problem communicating with the men in the dept. He would then claim he just forgot to mention it (when it significantly would affect how I worked with the team). He forced me to work on things that they knew were outside my skill set just to get confirmation biases that I wasn't good and needed help (they then admitted to me that they had done that).

They labeled me "not a big enough gamer" even though I played more LoL than anyone in my department. They told me they were open to finding me a better role and then 3 separate times got started and then shot down the ideas. My then "supposed manager" took nearly 2 hours of blabbing rather than admitting I was being let go. I had to ask him why we were talking for 2 hours with no clear sign about what the conversation was about and had to ask him "are you trying to let me go" in which he then responded "that is what they asked me to do". WHO IS THEY? He wouldn't answer.

That man then put his arm around me and tried to coddle me as though I was a child. Being a woman does NOT make me weak and his insinuation that I needed to be hugged is outrageous. Some may misconstrue that as highly inappropriate although I know that was not his intention.

Finally, Riot built up a case against me. They only talked to 3 people I rarely worked with any they knew I had contention with, rathering the speaking to the 12 people I worked most closely with to get feedback.

I loved Riot with all my heart when I started. It was (I thought) the best company I had ever worked for. I just didn't realize (until after I was let go) that their behavior was NOT related to me, it was related to the fact that I was a woman. I spoke with 6 other woman in the office who mentioned very similar/same behavior that happened to them. What a shame when something you love so much, becomes the biggest nightmare you can imagine. I hope no one ever has to go through that again.

Advice to Management

Only one person on the D3 actually cares about fixing the toxic culture. The CEO once said that he knows exactly what it feels like to be discriminated against because he is French and had to work in an American office. As a white, straight, young male with both money and power, I would hope for so much better. Clearly Riot disagrees.

Riot Games Response

Feb 5, 2019 – Talent Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts here. My name is David, and I am the Rioter Relations Lead who supports the Talent Partner team in the area of Employee Relations.

Before... More

3. "The place to be for future game devs"

Former Employee - Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment
    Good pay for the position
    Great people to work around

Cons

Long hours
    Occasional travel required
    Limited room for promotion

"I believe in League of Legends but Riot's leadership doesn't haver our best interest at heart"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great teams
    Compelling work and projects
    Can learn a lot in your field
    Benefits + meals (lunch, dinner, kitchens, cafe, pc bang)
    Medium salary

Cons

Bro culture
    Talent (HR) / Riot doesn't protect against retaliation / harassment
    COO w confirmed harassment gets 2 months w/o pay
    Very difficult to get salary increase / promotion. You work the title for a year first, with no actual path for promotion.
    Company promotes silence after harassment expose

Advice to Management

Fire confirmed sexual harassers
    Make salary bands visible to employees

"Just got our (LOWER) bonuses - Exec who farted on people gets largest one OF COURSE"

Current Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free food, $30 to a gym every month

Cons

executives take no responsibility, what a toxic company

Advice to Management

blame yourselves. this company is dying because of the leadership that starts with you. don't punish your employees for a severe lack of leadership. you are all embarrassing.

Riot Games Response

Mar 4, 2019 – Talent Generalist

Hi,

I'm Susannah from the Talent Partner team. As a current Rioter, please feel free to reach out to me directly with any talent-related concerns you may have: suyoung@riotgames.com. Additionally... More

"Best Gig I've Ever Had"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Only place I've ever worked where it truly feels like every voice is being heard and considered on some level, regardless of position or seniority. Riot is making a sincere and concerted effort to address the reported, and very serious, negatives.

I get to work with some of the best and brightest talent in the industry and show up to a place that feels like it truly values me. Employees are encouraged to take time off for any number of reasons to make sure and maintain a healthy work/life balance. Additionally, the open culture encourages you to make time to meet and build relationships with people that you may never cross paths with otherwise.

Of course there are also the excellent perks of unlimited pto, full cafeteria and coffee bar (at LAX at least), as well as all the other cool things you can find in any number of published articles.

Cons

Riot grew really large really fast and is having to deal with the consequences of success. This can lead to some breakdowns in structure and communication that may have worked at 300 employees but does not scale to 3,000.

7. "A great place to work for people that love playing and making video games."

Current Employee - Development Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are surrounded by extremely passionate and skilled coworkers.

Cons

Open floor plan allows for many interruptions.

8. "Riot is a place I look back fondly on"

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training.
    Access to world class talent.
    Salary.

Cons

Different teams, equals very different experiences.
    Lack of clear communication about expectations.

"Get it together"

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Benefits are good
    - Lots of talented, capable people working there
    - Just enough agile process to feel organized but not buried
    - Projects are exciting, never worked on anything I didn't love
    - Lots of fun extracurriculars or groups to join
    - Food is great

Cons

As part of Riot's "feedback culture", you are expected to call out things that are wrong. So you do, over and over and over, until tiredness runs through your very marrow. The trick is, no one is actually expected to do anything about it.

- Yes, there is some very ingrained sexism.
    - Management is a mess, training is completely inconsistent. I had some very amazing managers and some very poor ones.
    - Career paths and levels are sketchily defined in most disciplines. Programming and art are the exception. Disclipline leadership is aware but nothing was fixed over multiple years.
    - Leadership interference and absurdly high standards make shipping R&D projects far more difficult than it should be
    - West LA traffic

Advice to Management

- Riot's actions speak louder than any pretty words, and those actions have not been good. - Clean your house, really clean it, and face the problems that exist rather than fighting against the change.
    - You have the data. Mentor women and underepresented groups that are starving for it. Fix the pay gap you are papering over with inconsistent titles.
    - Stop trying to prevent your employees from talking about the issues and start actually fixing the issues instead.

"Zero Integrity Workplace"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, let's face it in games knowing you have a paycheck to come home to grants peace of mind. The campus amenities like coffee and free lunch are a nice perk. I've been able to grow my career here and have been given significantly more responsibility over my time at the studio.

Cons

Absolutely zero integrity when it comes to consistent management of people. The promise of cultural change has been mostly lip service to check a few boxes. Many senior leaders call the Kotaku article "blown out of proportion" or "just a case of a few bad managers." I assure you this is not the case but no one wants to admit the problem is in their house. Discussions of how people are feeling have been all but squelched by a "no rumor milling, no discussions of the lawsuit" gag order instituted by the CEO. Hilariously the studio decided a 2 month holiday vacation was the appropriate response to a COO who has made many feel excluded, uncomfortable and harassed. The takeaway? As long as you perform well in your role it doesn't matter how you treated Rioters 4 years ago. Not acceptable. Our new heros are people who write up a set of fluffy meaningless values. Seriously Riot? We deserve better than cheesy lines like "dream big" and "thrive together." The trainings that have been rolled out in order to get at our cultural issues have been massive wastes of time which have led to zero change in the day to day experience of working at the studio. It is sad to see such a great studio turn to this.

Advice to Management

Real consequences for those who have violated our policies, regardless of when it happened. That includes the most senior members of your boys club. Read the exit interviews that are in your inbox, and I mean actually read them. The many Rioters who are leaving are trying to tell you something. Oh and the surveys? Stop being reassured by the 90% positive numbers. Realize it has always been the minority groups which have been unhappy here, never the 90%.