Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Nicolo Laurent

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I signed up to deal with the massive amounts of data that League of Legends collects" (in 36 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is outstanding" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance requires refocusing on smaller teams" (in 62 reviews)

• "While they catch up, it's created some significant growing pains that come with the territory" (in 31 reviews)

"Assistant"

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Great benefits! So many fun perks to keep you going.

Cons

The traffic surrounding the office.Took about 30 minutes to just get out of the area.

"Overall happy but women aren't treated well here"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Good pay for the video game industry, lots of opportunities to learn and grow, good benefits and lots of nice, well intentioned people.

Cons

Widespread and institutionalized sexism. Poor treatment of mothers and expectant mothers, as well as women in general. This is a company that would rather have a free smoothie bar and a PC cafe where people can slack off during work hours than a daycare center. On a campus of over 1000 people, there is literally one small closet for women to pump breast milk in.

A friend of mine told me recently that HR set up a meeting with her specifically to tell her that because she didn't have a note specifying a medical restriction from her doctor during her pregnancy, that if her performance dropped, she could be fired and would have no legal recourse. This person is clearly very productive and well regarded those she works with. She said it added to her already high level of anxiety about her pregnancy.

In addition to that, all you have to do is look at the ratio of women in leadership positions to realize that there is institutionalized bias against promoting women. This doesn't seem to be improving with time, despite all the lip service management pays toward an effort to have greater diversity in leadership.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your female employees so poorly.

Riot Games Response

Jun 14, 2018

Hey there,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts here. My name is Alice, I am a Talent Partner at Riot and a mom.

We have a number of benefits that support pregnant and nursing... More

"Great company with lots of hold-overs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The focus on hiring people who actively play games really does change the atmosphere of the company. It's unlike anywhere else I've worked, and I was highly skeptical about this "requirement" coming in.

- The content teams produce is of a very high quality. Everyone here knows what the bar looks like and how to exceed it.

- The company is obsessively player-focused. Coming from studios where this was often far from a priority, it's refreshing.

- The perks, campus, and treatment of employees can't be beat. You are pampered here.

- I joined after the founders had been swapped out for a new exec team, and by all accounts it was an incredible and well-timed swap. The D3 seem to be doing a great job and are bringing a level of transparency to the company that it seems was missing for a long time.

- Lots of mobility. I've seen "lane swaps" (changes in discipline) which were ginormous. If you're an engineer who wants to be in HR or narrative or something, this is the place to do it.

- Friendly atmosphere. At many big companies, people treat it as "just a job." At Riot, though, it seems like many people are actually friends outside of work and there is definitely an atmosphere which invites you to get to know your coworkers really personally.

- Good things coming. The future looks awesome.

Cons

- There is a large contingent of employees who have ONLY worked at Riot games. This isn't necessarily an awful thing, but there is an expectation that "Riot will take care of me no matter what I want to do" and "Riot owes me a certain quality of life" that reeks of tech entitlement. You are human labor. Not to mention, very often these people hopped onto League after it was already in beta and do not have any experience making and shipping an actual game (vs. just game updates or patches). This lack of expertise is often painfully clear.

- Some of the company kool-aid is hokey. "We don't use the 'e' word here. You're a Rioter." Okay, sure, until the day my performance slips and you instantly fire me. I'm sure if you're fresh out of school the internal messaging feels like paradise. For those of us who've been around the block, it just invites deep suspicion.

- The company has a very "bro" atmosphere that is not welcoming to women. Despite obvious efforts to clean up on the diversity front, there is definitely a male-focused culture. I recently had a coworker leave because she didn't feel like she could be a working mother at Riot, and I completely agree. There is still a ton of work to be done and not everyone wants to admit it. You can see this in the defensive replies from HR on this very page.

"As good as it gets in this industry"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All companies of this size inevitably have issues, but this place by far has the best working environment I've experienced.

Beyond the benefits (which are amazing), I've never seen leadership take responsibility for the bad things, offer personal apologies, etc. The amount of ownership and dedication is inspiring.

In comparison to many of the other large companies I've worked for, I feel I finally have found a place I can call home. Great people, great benefits, great growth opportunity. This place has it all.

Cons

Largely due to its size and attempt at a flat matrix a lot of people get left behind. Teams will be doing the same work without knowing it, so some more top down communication would be helpful.

Advice to Management

While things like the Kotaku article are bad, I think the steps you are making are the right ones. Keep going in that direction, and this will continue to be a great place for all people to work at.

"Kotaku is a Fraction of What is Out There"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

- Riot has some of the best talent in the industry hands down
    - Highly collaborative environment, sometimes to a fault
    - Strong leaders amidst some of the bad
    - Overall focus on player experience
    - Benefits, flexibility, and pay

Cons

- Kotaku article scratched the surface of the sexism, sexual harassment and bro culture that exists let alone other D&I issues
    - Miscommunication and way too may initiatives & projects + lack of prioritization + fear of failure
    - Analysis paralysis
    - Entitlement, immaturity and favortism

Advice to Management

Until all of the senior leaders (D3, D20, founders and all) who directly contributed to, allowed or fostered the behaviors that led to the culture of sexism/sexual harassment are held accountable, apologies and action plans lack credibility. Riot has owned up to it's mistakes in the past when it comes to the community, start doing so for current Rioters and all of the former Rioters who were negatively impacted by your actions or lack thereof. Claiming there is a "zero tolerance" policy is a joke.

"Below average leaders managing some of the best talent in the industry"

Former Employee - Artist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits - Healthcare - Pay - Amazing coworkers - Amazing talent

Cons

Poor leadership experience at the top. League was a huge hit at the time and was more or less an indie startup. The same guys who were the interns, artists, engineers of league early seasons, mediocre by today's standards, are managing teams without actual experience to back it up. They're either painfully aware of this or fooling themselves. Both create horrible paths of toxicity, where vocal employees are quickly exited or silenced, or belittled. Complete dead weight who take credit as much as possible, shut anything down that's not their initiative, leave early, and are the loudest voice in the room. It's extremely easy to take credit for someone else's work due to the culture of 'default to trust'. Pretty easy to push that if you're outright lying about what value you provide. What makes a leader at Riot isn't shipping product or creating, it's if they have a checkmark by their name that says if they took Riot leadership training or not. Or if they're friends with another leader. God help them if Riot ever has layoffs because they'll have a huge wakeup call if they ever go to another studio. If they could trick said company's HR first I guess.

Another odd thing is that failure is rewarded more the higher up you go. A leader who tanked two teams wasn't fired but only 'downgraded' to yet another department(probably with the same pay). Mostly due to him being friends with the owner. Meanwhile core employees quickly get exited or fired, sometimes to the detriment to the team they're on, if they step slightly out of Riot culture or suggest anything that could be seen as unsavory. It really creates an odd double culture of fun and games, and keeping your head down and just do exactly what leadership says. Riot can be a great place. The talent they've hired is outstanding. They need to REALLY trim the fat because there's a large amount of useless running amok in leadership roles. Maybe you guys should have yet another meeting to talk about it?

I think there's change brewing but it'll be too late to even mean anything unless the actual leadership wake the hell up and actually do something instead of yet another overly complicated power point presentation.

Advice to Management

Actually fire people who are outright destroying your studio. Especially if they're friends with the owners.

Talk to people who left your studio. Stop ignoring them. Your indifference will destroy you.

Ease up on listening to people that have only worked at Riot and nothing else. Not sure what use someone is for staying at a studio for their entire career while only shipping 1 game and coasting on whatever RnD they happened upon.

Please do something to stop your actual talent from leaving in droves.

"Coordinator"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

- Riot has some of the most driven, engaged employees of anywhere I've been.
    - Benefits and campus are great, especially for the games industry
    - Commitment to game design

Cons

- Leadership isn't accountable for failures
    - Managers at Riot are usually good at their craft and bad at managing people

"Memorable for all the wrong reasons"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

There are many benefits Riot provides to both HQ and local offices. They include:
    Medical and Dental Insurance
    Gym and health benefits
    Flexible work hours and unlimited PTOs
    Well stocked pantries
    In house cafeterias and for offices without food options, some form of food allowance
    In game credit
    Ability to travel to participate in esports events, regardless of your position in the company

Cons

This is where things get tricky. If you are a “typical Rioter” which is a straight white outspoken male gamer, congratulations, your job is way easier compared to the other 30% of the Rioters in the company.I’ll take some time to address the first 5 issues that come to mind.

Feedback culture means that your managers or colleagues that work with you will give you all sorts of feedback. During a performance cycle, an employee was told that “you need to smile more often, I like to see a smile when I come to the office”. Reviews written by managers are changed DURING THE CYCLE when they see that you had given them bad feedback. Women are called emotional often, and it’s okay for the male colleagues in the office to scream and get agitated while partaking in a game, but if a woman stands up for her idea, or feels strongly about her idea, it’s deemed emotional and laughed off.

With the recent sexual harassment articles out, any sensible person would assume that good people in Talent (which is their name for HR) would make it compulsory for all managers and folks in talent to attend some form of harassment training. Unfortunately, there has already been a case where the local talent “lead” has decided to not partake in the session.

This is a boy’s club company. Leadership positions are mostly filled with men who are friends with other men. Promotions are not awarded always awarded based on merit. Employees with strong performances may get a change in title, and a token increment.

Speaking of titles, look out for all the inflated titles in Riot. There are many single contributors who gave themselves the titles of Team Leads,even without a team under them. Look out for these inaccuracies on email signatures, linkedin profiles and even resumes.

There has been tons of conversation over the past year trying to address the toxic culture and the multiple bro culture of the company. Emails were sent out about how “no one is untouchable” and that there is a “zero tolerance towards retaliation”, in the hopes that employees will report cases of harassment, regardless the form. Unfortunately, not only have employees who have reported these cases to Talent been penalised and ultimately let go, managers received a slap on the wrist and business continued as usual.

Advice to Management

This culture is so toxic for all employees who do not fit into the “straight white bro” mold. Hold your leaders accountable. Pay attention to feedback. People leave managers, not companies, so take a close look at teams where hardly any original team members remain. It will speak volumes about their management style.

Riot Games Response

Aug 28, 2018 – Talent Generalist

Hi,
    I'm Susannah, a Talent Generalist at Riot. First off, looks like you're a current Rioter, so I want to open up a channel of communication. You can reach me at suyoung@riotgames.com to talk... More

"Continuous Improvement"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

I've been at Riot for over four years and one thing has always impressed me about the company: a willingness to change things that aren't working. The company makes mistakes. All companies do. It's had bumps along the way. All companies do. But, I've never seen Riot accept the status quo. We constantly reflect on ourselves, on what we're doing, and why, and we willingly admit when things need to improve. Then we do something about it. Many companies are not as introspective and willing to rethink things as they learn along the way. Riot is different in that way, and it gives me confidence that, when things aren't perfect, or we make mistakes, or we need to address D&I issues, or solve some player pain, or find better ways of working...we reflect, we own our mistakes, and we commit to improving...then we actually follow through. I've seen that play out a hundred times over the last few years, and it's refreshing.

Cons

Riot grew really fast and there's work needed to mature company systems and processes. Riot resists doing simple things that are standard across a lot of industries, because we think we're so unique, those things won't apply. We almost always come around, but it can be frustrating to waste so much time revisiting basics, instead of asking how other company's have solved basic problems. This mostly comes from inexperienced leaders.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on maturing the company, finding experienced leaders who can help, and don't lose the ability to be humble and committed to constantly introspective and improving.

"Join only if you're thirsty for Kool-aid"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're part of the "in-crowd" and fancy yourself a core member of a fratty group of predominantly male gamers, go for it. While I was there, there were also a select few that persisted solely on the basis of merit, but such individuals were uncommon. If you care more about perks than the actual product you produce, this may be what you're looking for.

Cons

This is a company that exhibits poor non-technical and technical leadership both. They have lofty aspirations that in no way match the actual talent deployed, and structure by which it operates. The level of productivity one experiences on a given day is alarmingly low, and the ratio of useful people to useless people is similar. It feels like most people are there to hang out and look pretty.