Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Nicolo Laurent

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I signed up to deal with the massive amounts of data that League of Legends collects (in 36 reviews)

• Work-life balance is outstanding (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance requires refocusing on smaller teams (in 61 reviews)

• Usual growing pains of a relatively young, fast growing company (in 29 reviews)

1. "ERP Functional Lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vibrant,open minded environment where you can challenge anyone and it will be received with right intent.

Cons

Too many loose ends on people managment

Advice to Management

Have proper tools to better manage the resources without changing the culture.

"I love it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- super intelligent and humble people. don't feel like i have to babysit people or be held accountable for others' incompetence
    - bottom up decision making
    - get to play games at work!
    - direct communication and expectations
    - diversity is sincerely discussed and the company takes definite strides to ensure there's fairness in hiring, promotions, performance evaluations, etc. Diversity of the workforce and attitudes towards creating a positive environment for everyone definitely exceeded my expectations at a game company (or for any industry, really). That being said, as is true of every company -- there's still work to be done
    - excellent benefits (variety of healthcare options, 401k matching, free meals 3x/day, open PTO, game fund...)

I love working at Riot, it's exceeded my expectations in pretty much every way. I knew working at a video game company would probably be fun, but I expected a lot of things to be more immature and short-sighted than how they actually are here. I love that everyone is treated with respect and trust, rather than having intense levels of micromanagement to account for the lowest possible denominator. Culture is super important here, but that means we all have a common thread that binds us together, which is really nice after working at companies where there’s nothing connecting employees besides a paycheck. Personal development is also important, and you have the opportunity to grow and change roles if that's what makes the most sense for you.

Cons

- We’re always changing, and sometimes have to be more reactive than proactive.
    - Bottom up decision making means that sometimes decisions take a while to make as there’s no one person who says ‘this is how we’ll do things’. I actually quite like this, but it can make discussions a little long.
    - Can’t take food home – this is me being spoiled. To-go boxes pls

Advice to Management

Shorten the interview process. I get that you're looking for strong culture fits, but I think that could be done without the call with the final boss

3. "Meeting my (very high) Expectations"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Open feedback culture has helped me grow tremendously. I love working with an organization that allows me to be transparent and open about my growth and development. I receive feedback in real time, and while that is jarring at first, I am so thankful and have grown so much.
    - Beautiful campus with excellent on-campus benefits (coffee bar, three meals a day at a fully-subsidized cafe, plenty of outside and community spaces to change the pace of day-to-day work
    - Talented people - this is echoed in a lot of reviews, but it's true. Everyone that works here is brilliant in their own right. Not only that, but everyone is kind, and goes out of their way to be kind.
    - Compensation - I can't speak for everyone, but my comp far exceeded my expectations upon being hired
    - Casual dress code (as long as you're covering what's required by law, you're good!)
    - Work-life balance - I actually have a great work-life balance, but I realize that can vary from team to team

Cons

- Growing pains - Riot has grown a lot in the past five years, and so there is some ambiguity around organization-wide priorities and expectations. As such, ambiguity is everywhere , all the time. Every company says they look for people that thrive in ambiguity, but Riot takes that to a whole new level. Essentially, if you're interviewing here, don't say you can handle ambiguity if it actually makes you uncomfortable, because you will be expected to face ambiguity every single day.
    - Confusion about career growth / pathing across disciplines, which is strange considering Riot boasts a focus on talent and team. People who have been here for a long time and have traversed multiple roles have had to do so with a sort of vagabond, pave your own way mentality.

Advice to Management

Now that we have the brilliant people necessary to carry the company forward at the ground-level, get together and figure out tangible steps that need to be taken to drive forward at an organizational level so that we aren't having to re-invent the wheel every time we're thrown a curveball. Riot has made me a creative problem-solver and a scrappy, resourceful professional as a result of loose regulations (and for that I am thankful), but it doesn't necessarily have to be that way.

"One year and done"

Current Employee - Talent Team Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Team Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Riot is home to some of the most talented, creative and hard working people in gaming. Compensation is competitive, benefits are generous and the campus is lovely.

Cons

--Leadership is lacking across the products from what remains of CG Development to the new game titles being spun up and spun down.

--Talent (Human Resources) and Recruiting are again leaderless after the termination of heads of both areas. Arguably two of the most important teams at Riot; the one responsible for hiring of new talent and the one charged with the care and well being all talent, new and on-going, had their leaders released for gross mismanagement. That says a lot about the challenges Riot is currently facing.

--Diversity is paid lip service. It's far more important that candidates be hard-core gamers than anything else. The bro-culture is real and the club exclusive.

Advice to Management

Recent calls have made it clear you are reading exit interview data and seeing trends in the feedback. Maybe reaching out to those who left over the past year plus and asking if there was anything more they'd wished they'd stated but were afraid to for whatever reason would also be a good idea.

Riot Games Response

May 24, 2018

Hi,

I'm Susannah, and I'm a Talent Generalist at Riot. It looks like you're a current Rioter but may be leaving? I'm sorry to hear that, if that's the case. Please feel free to set up time with me... More

"A broken company burdened by bad management"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Benefits, high pay relative to similar positions in the industry, and lots of genuinely hardworking co-workers who are passionate about what they do and who put in true hard work.

Cons

Unfortunately, despite the ground-level expertise and craft of many employees at Riot, this is all held back by horrible upper-level executive management. Time and time again people on the executive level tend to shoot things down, or make decisions without expertise and without deferring to craft SMEs. Teams are laid off and executives go unaccountable, as projects are canceled. Ever wonder why Riot has no second game? This is why. Because upper management just cannot keep their egos to themselves and insist on making decisions that someone actually doing the work, on the ground, cannot help but ask, "Why? What were you thinking?" Riot is where amazing global talent goes to get shut down by an executive who thinks they know better, and who doesn't get penalized for anything while entire teams are laid off without dignity.

Advice to Management

Stop disrespecting the amazing talent you have hired and hold your executives/yourselves accountable for all the failures Riot has experienced as a company. Get your egos out of the workplace and let craft SMEs do their thing. Creative decisions should not be made by non-creative executives who -think- they are creative.

"Discrimination, toxicity, and almost no accountability."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented colleagues. I've had the privilege of working with amazing individuals. Individual contributors are passionate about what they do.

Other perks:
    - Free meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
    - Fully stocked pantries and onsite coffee shop
    - Meditation, fitness, and nap rooms, onsite massages
    - Unlimited PTO, 401k matching

Cons

The manifesto is a lie.

This organization lacks diversity and Riot is not an environment to grow your career in unless you're in a senior role. If you're a male, then chances are you'll be fine, but if you're female, there'll be a bias towards you and your success. The executive team (D20) is an example of this. There are 19 men and one woman.

Riot is full of inexperienced managers who practice managing at the cost of the talent. They preach about focusing on talent and team (a part of the manifesto), but it's nothing more than that. Leadership and management are rarely held accountable for their actions. They don't listen to feedback, specialize in displacing blame on to individual contributors, and focus on demoralizing that person. When a leader owns his mistake, he is viewed as humble and the fanfare begins. When it's someone in a non-leadership or managerial role, he or she is harassed and nit-picked at for days or weeks.

Riot talks a big game but fails to deliver. What they do well is hire top-tier talent into the company, yet they fail to keep them for more than a year or so. Leadership enjoys telling expert craftspeople how to do their job the Riot way, instead of letting them do their jobs. This is why their talent is leaving them for competitors, as Riot has become the land of broken promises.

Advice to Management

Invest in your talent. Instead of letting people leave or letting people go because you don't know how to solve a problem, ask for help.

Riot Games Response

May 24, 2018

Hi,
    I'm Susannah, a Talent Generalist at Riot.

I wanted you to know that we are listening to your feedback, and as Glassdoor says you're a current employee, I'm going to start by emphasizing... More

"Still the Best Place to Be in Gaming"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Work with some of the best talent in the industry. I feel privileged to being able to work closely with the former WoW balance lead, the Exec Producer from Halo Reach, the Production Director from EVE, and many more talented individuals from inside and outside games. Riot is stacked with inspiring talent to learn from.

- Leadership of Gamers: I've been around the industry and most senior executives don't even play the games they worked on and made major decisions for. At Riot, you're an outsider if you don't play a bunch of games (Marc & Brandon the founders, Nicolo, the CEO, Scott the CTO are all big gamers) - this means they actually get hands-on and deeply understand the games being made (and what player concerns might be).

- New Leadership: I think Riot has been complacent in the last couple years, the luxury of success on League of Legends meant there was no urgency to innovate. The new leadership at the C-Level realizes that League and the R&D titles no longer have that luxury, and are making hard choices on prioritization.

- Cares about Rioters: Riot has fantastic perks because they want to keep the talent (that's us) happy. They're one of a handful of companies in gaming that believes their best assets are the people that make the game - and it shows in how they empower teams, manage careers, and invest in Rioters.

- Big Bets: Riot is betting big on its future titles, and it will be exciting to see them in front of players. Now is the time for Riot to choose which ones to accelerate and to make sure those bets land well for players. This year is going to be pivotal in making sure that happens.

Cons

- 2018 is not Riot's year: This is going to be a year where Riot is building its innovative projects, not the year when tons of new games are launched and glory/bonuses/launch parties are being celebrated. Riot making some difficult choices to make sure the company is on a healthy trajectory. New commitments, long term plans and focus is being applied this year, which means you aren't going to be doing exactly what you did last year. I'm bullish on the future however.

- Can't be complacent: The demand of Riot change, and you may find yourself called on to help the company win, rather than working on your dream project. At one point Riot let you do whatever you wanted with little demand for business results; that era is ending and a lot of Rioters aren't happy about it.

- Complexity Drag: As Riot gets bigger, the number of teams, disciplines, and stakeholders that get attached to any project increases. The cost of "synching what you're doing with team X" doesn't seem great, but the combined need to sync with a dozen groups creates significant drag on teams. They could operate faster and with fewer people if we freed them from the need to be so interconnected.

Advice to Management

- Continue (and do more) ruthlessly prioritizing among projects - choosing what is a priority is the only way we'll ever get a new game out the door.

- Try to share a little more internally on R&D; not everyone has your access and can't see the progress actually being made here.

- Think about how to simplify things for front-line Rioters to enable them to do their job faster and easier (especially if there is a drive for efficiency).

"It is probably exactly what you've heard about it"

Former Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people - fiercely passionate and mostly genuine. Although people complain about it, the comp and benefits package is ridiculous given the company's standing.

Cons

Processes are non-existent or broken in the name of non-conformity. Leaders aren't engaging with one another to build trust. Still a misnomer - Riot Game. The organization is attempting to find itself, perhaps 3 years too late.

Advice to Management

Stop burning cash on perfecting what you believe will be the next big thing. Ship games and let the market react.

9. "Game Design"

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Engaging and Productive workplace
    Good atmosphere

Cons

Location is a small problem for those not favoring crowded cities

"Frustrating and Still Hopeful"

Current Employee - Artist
    Current Employee - Artist

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Riot is an amazing place
    Great people, great perks
    Talent is mindblowing
    An empowering environment

Cons

Leadership ranges from amazing to horrendously incompetent

Cronyism is a big problem the higher up you look. Hard to fire your friends.

Frustrating sometimes due to amazing talent managed by armies of producers.
    A lot of things are outsourced due to people struggling with alignment in a studio of 2000+. Easier to tell a studio or a person what to do than dealing with a hundred people giving feedback.

Advice to Management

Don’t reward bad decisions. I understand the people should take risks, but when decisions are made by people with little to no experience, it’s pretty bad. Not to mention the hilarious amounts of money thrown at these individuals. Stop rewarding failure. If I take a chance and mess up completely, I would get fired or reprimanded. If someone needs to remind me they’re a leader…They’re not a leader.
    If your D Leaders are unable to fire someone because it makes them feel bad, it’s even worse when they let goan entire department because of it.
    Stop saying default to trust. I can’t trust someone that’s proven not to be reliable. The teams at Riot are insanely talented but some are managed by poor leadership. It’s very strange mentally when I can completely trust everyone around me but I can’t trust some of their leaders.
    Apology emails do nothing if there’s no action.
    Stop surrounding yourself with useless yes men. If people under someone keep getting fired or quitting, maybe it might not be them that’s the problem but their manager? Crazy idea I know.
    Alignment works well in a small studio but fails completely in a large studio. Some departments resort to outsource even though its more expensive to get around it. Design by committee is how you become mediocre.