Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Nicolo Laurent

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I signed up to deal with the massive amounts of data that League of Legends collects" (in 36 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is outstanding" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance requires refocusing on smaller teams" (in 61 reviews)

• "While they catch up, it's created some significant growing pains that come with the territory" (in 31 reviews)

1. "A little transparency goes a very long way."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership is transparent and open to feedback. Much of the feedback gets direct responses and, where appropriate, action.

I feel like the work I do matters and is cared about.

Cons

Work load can be quite high, and work/life balance is hard to manage.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency, it is really refreshing and helpful.

Don't always chase down the "Hot button" topic before resolving the last one.

"Overall happy but women aren't treated well here"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Good pay for the video game industry, lots of opportunities to learn and grow, good benefits and lots of nice, well intentioned people.

Cons

Widespread and institutionalized sexism. Poor treatment of mothers and expectant mothers, as well as women in general. This is a company that would rather have a free smoothie bar and a PC cafe where people can slack off during work hours than a daycare center. On a campus of over 1000 people, there is literally one small closet for women to pump breast milk in.

A friend of mine told me recently that HR set up a meeting with her specifically to tell her that because she didn't have a note specifying a medical restriction from her doctor during her pregnancy, that if her performance dropped, she could be fired and would have no legal recourse. This person is clearly very productive and well regarded those she works with. She said it added to her already high level of anxiety about her pregnancy.

In addition to that, all you have to do is look at the ratio of women in leadership positions to realize that there is institutionalized bias against promoting women. This doesn't seem to be improving with time, despite all the lip service management pays toward an effort to have greater diversity in leadership.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your female employees so poorly.

Riot Games Response

Jun 14, 2018

Hey there,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts here. My name is Alice, I am a Talent Partner at Riot and a mom.

We have a number of benefits that support pregnant and nursing... More

"Awesome... With Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Free Stuff and Perks(Noms, Bilge, PTO, etc.): Everyone loves free stuff, but it speaks to Riot's actual dedication to Rioters. This is an enormous cost that most large "corporate" entities would view as a waste of resources. Some may say this loses its charm after a while, but I feel they are taking this benefit for granted.

-Collaborative Culture: Due to Riot's (sometimes too) lengthy hiring process, 99% of Rioters are here because they care about players and making awesome stuff. There may be some friction that stems from wanting to do their version of the "right thing" that conflicts with someone else's vision. That said, I've never worked at a place where I didn't have to wonder if the person next to me was just collecting a paycheck.

-Make an Impact: No large company is free from bureaucracy, and Riot is no exception. Riot, however, empowers many junior Rioters to jump in the deep end and own a product. The collaborative culture (see above) means plenty of meetings and stakeholder checks, but even those are not nearly as burdensome as other companies.

Cons

-Collaborative Culture: Just as this is a pro, sometimes there is a feeling of lacking direction or vision that comes with no clear cut leadership. There are definitely leaders in the company, but they often provide guidance without definitive direction or a solid yes or no.

-Career Growth: Although this is starting to be more solidified, there is no corporate rank structure or promotion guidelines. Everything feels very fluid and up to your immediate manager's opinion of you. This can be a good thing, but some are left wanting a policy to point to when it comes to leveling up or getting that next raise. Riot also relies far too heavily on contractors due to the high bar for hiring and cost of full time Rioters.

Advice to Management

-Identify projects and goals early and set expectations. Recent townhalls have provided some level of this, but more clearly defined priorities and goals will give Rioters something to point to and align a compass too on daily tasks and big bets.

-Push down decision making to lower levels than the primary executives. Having the CEO, CFO, or CTO with the final signing authority in 90% of decisions feels inefficient. Allow the talent you've hired to make a call and own it including any potential repercussions.

-Hire high performing contractors over external talent. I was never a contractor, but I've seen many long term contractors stay on with the carrot of being a Rioter used to keep them around. There is a feeling that since they are here now, there is no urgency to hire them. This feels bad.

"Good place to work"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

working alongside very talented individuals. You will level up very quickly. Not too much stress because of game as a service.

Cons

leadership is a bit messy and uninspired. Best ideas are not getting out because of poor leadership decisions and politics.

Advice to Management

Verbally taking risk and shipping things that are very polarizing (some really love and others will really hate) is ok and part of the culture, but in act and actual production that never happens. Do what you say. Let crazy stuff get to players.

"Death by a 1000 bad decisions and fear"

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open ended PTO, free lunch, dinner and unlimited snacks/soda/cereal if you work in Santa Monica. Basketball court, tons of gaming areas, well stocked pantries, good coffee shop, and so on. Super passionate co-workers. Benefits are very generous for full-time employees.

Cons

Do you like corporate spin? Welcome aboard, bro!

Do you like dealing with people who can never give you a straight answer about why a terrible decision is being made in the face of overwhelming evidence that it is going to be a disaster?

Do you like working for people who know less about your craft than you do but are in charge for unexplainable reasons? You'll get to experience managers or dev leads who are super at making convincing, Riot-buzzword-laden PowerPoints but have no practical experience in the departments they run.

Do you like having the Riot Manifesto used as a weapon to shut down dissenting opinions? Managers will block real questions about a bad decisions being made with “Well this is what the players want and if you’re so misaligned then maybe you shouldn’t be here.” When their terrible decisions blow up and harm things they'll just shrug and say, “I guess that wasn’t the right call after all.” Zero consequences. Put that on repeat.

Do you like getting reasonable, semi-regular raises? Sorry! Getting a raise is tied to the fear your managers have of pushing for and having to justify it to the same department heads that make all the bad decisions. Riot’s “meritocracy” feels like a way to say “If you stay in the same job you will NEVER get a raise.” Sorry, if you just like doing your job. That’s not enough. Oh, you’re doing more? Sorry, your manager didn’t want to fight for it. You aren't likely to get a raise unless you have a title change. This may work for some departments/roles but it makes no sense to use it across the board.

Like being kept in the loop? Sorry! Riot's inability to communicate internally and get departments to work together is legendary. Want to duplicate work other teams are already doing? You're in the right place!

Want to move from one department at Riot to another (aka Lane Swap)? Good luck! Unless you're a super-ultra-alpha-achiever this is a one-way trip out of the company. I have witnessed people get permission to seek other opportunities in the company from their managers only to have those same managers torpedo their chances in these other departments for political/personal reasons. Even if you do get permission to move, this process will take a minimum of 6 months to a year to actually happen.

Advice to Management

While I was at Riot it ranked top 100 places to work place for 2 years. Not anymore! As time has marched on, Riot has become increasingly corporate and un-fun/unimaginative. So much so that even the simplest creative/spending decision is blocked and dragged through some kind of closed hive mind that rationalizes blocking everything. Don’t get me wrong. Some teams at Riot are still putting out amazing content but God knows how they do it. Good ideas are buried all the time due to budget cuts or last minute changes in direction or just because a manager didn't care enough to listen to anyone outside of their insular, all-knowing cliques.

Speed up hiring. It takes forever to fill roles. Let toxic people go. You know who they are. It doesn't matter if they talk a good Riot-manifesto.

Since I started, Riot was beaten to market over and over again. Stop trying to wait until you're 100% sure a game is going to be another instant "genre defining game". League wasn't even that when it launched. Everyone can smell the fear permeating from the lack of publishing ANYTHING.

"Definitely An Employer Of Choice"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

First and foremost, there is a distinct and well-defined culture. This company has a great onboarding process – the best I’ve ever experienced. Managers actually honor the process so that Rioters can be focused on learning the ropes, which is really refreshing. It’s also clear that player experience is at the crux of everything Rioters do, and you can see there’s a great sense of pride in that.

Since I joined Riot I’ve had the opportunity to solve really interesting and challenging problems in my craft space, and I’ve been able to take what I’ve learned in my profession and scale it here. And that’s part of the beauty of working at Riot – having room to grow, and the ability to execute on your ideas.

Cons

A level of ambiguity and chaos that comes with an organization that’s going through growing pains which, for some, can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Invest in what’s next for the company, and that includes leveling up your managers. Their impact on culture can be significant, and so it’s important to ensure the leadership body is effective and that they continue to exemplify our values and manifesto.

7. "Great company"

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Amazing company to work for.

Cons

Not the best work-life balance.

"One year and done"

Current Employee - Talent Team Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Team Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Riot is home to some of the most talented, creative and hard working people in gaming. Compensation is competitive, benefits are generous and the campus is lovely.

Cons

--Leadership is lacking across the products from what remains of CG Development to the new game titles being spun up and spun down.

--Talent (Human Resources) and Recruiting are again leaderless after the termination of heads of both areas. Arguably two of the most important teams at Riot; the one responsible for hiring of new talent and the one charged with the care and well being all talent, new and on-going, had their leaders released for gross mismanagement. That says a lot about the challenges Riot is currently facing.

--Diversity is paid lip service. It's far more important that candidates be hard-core gamers than anything else. The bro-culture is real and the club exclusive.

Advice to Management

Recent calls have made it clear you are reading exit interview data and seeing trends in the feedback. Maybe reaching out to those who left over the past year plus and asking if there was anything more they'd wished they'd stated but were afraid to for whatever reason would also be a good idea.

Riot Games Response

May 24, 2018

Hi,

I'm Susannah, and I'm a Talent Generalist at Riot. It looks like you're a current Rioter but may be leaving? I'm sorry to hear that, if that's the case. Please feel free to set up time with me... More

"I love it here"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- super intelligent and humble people. don't feel like i have to babysit people or be held accountable for others' incompetence
    - bottom up decision making
    - get to play games at work!
    - direct communication and expectations
    - diversity is sincerely discussed and the company takes definite strides to ensure there's fairness in hiring, promotions, performance evaluations, etc. Diversity of the workforce and attitudes towards creating a positive environment for everyone definitely exceeded my expectations at a game company (or for any industry, really). That being said, as is true of every company -- there's still work to be done
    - excellent benefits (variety of healthcare options, 401k matching, free meals 3x/day, open PTO, game fund...)

I love working at Riot, it's exceeded my expectations in pretty much every way. I knew working at a video game company would probably be fun, but I expected a lot of things to be more immature and short-sighted than how they actually are here. I love that everyone is treated with respect and trust, rather than having intense levels of micromanagement to account for the lowest possible denominator. Culture is super important here, but that means we all have a common thread that binds us together, which is really nice after working at companies where there’s nothing connecting employees besides a paycheck. Personal development is also important, and you have the opportunity to grow and change roles if that's what makes the most sense for you.

Cons

- We’re always changing, and sometimes have to be more reactive than proactive.
    - Bottom up decision making means that sometimes decisions take a while to make as there’s no one person who says ‘this is how we’ll do things’. I actually quite like this, but it can make discussions a little long.
    - Can’t take food home – this is me being spoiled. To-go boxes pls

Advice to Management

Shorten the interview process. I get that you're looking for strong culture fits, but I think that could be done without the call with the final boss

10. "Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the culture, the product, the perks.

Cons

growing pains starting to show bureaucracy - fear of being a one hit wonder

Advice to Management

calibrate your senior managers they have very different standards and are often not aligned