Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Riot Games CEO Brandon Beck
Brandon Beck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • League of legends, the game title of Riot is still popular (in 32 reviews)

• There's definitely a high regard for their employees and the work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't want your life to be work, then work-life balance (in 55 reviews)

• The growing pains combined with lack of long term, or often even short term vision means there is a LOT of wasted output (in 23 reviews)

"Great People and Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Everyone at Riot gets along, I've never seen any political posturing or people who don't like working together. The dedication to making a good game comes first and nearly every employee plays the game on a regular basis. Management is very open, you're told quickly when you do a good job and when you need to refocus rather than being surprised by an annual review.

Cons

Los Angeles is exceedingly expensive to live in, and Riot is located in a more expensive part of it. Being a live service style of game means you can be called in during emergencies, which isn't common in the games industry.

"A major head rush of a gig"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Badassery in full effect! Riot focuses on hiring amazing people to tackle sweet projects and has a philosophy of making sure people have tons of autonomy to get things done. A core management principle of Riot's is to manage by goal-setting and holding people accountable for results (the ultimate result being player happiness).

Another element of Riot's winning culture is the incredible focus on hiring talented people. I came here from a large developer and publisher of top games and I have seen Riot consistently pick the very best people out of my former employer with admirable precision.

A third positive is Riot's Santa Monica location. I can walk to work, then hit nearby bars with colleagues before stumbling home. It's nice to be car-free for the most part. Santa Monica is gorgeous and awesome.

Cons

Growth has outpaced company infrastructure development.

Small example: "emailpocalypse" of Feb 2012 in which email was disrupted for 2-4 days during an upgrade of email server infrastructure. This was the sort of infrastructure project that larger, more stable companies pull off easily.

Big example: performance review system inadequacies are going to create major headaches unless addressed very soon. Now that executive management doesn't know everybody intimately (thanks to rapid growth), a fair, transparent system that works very well will be needed so that the mass of people hired over the last 18 months gets adequate coaching and career advancement.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job, but need to quickly skill-up all hiring managers to ensure that they hire as well as you did when you did it all yourselves.

"Great opportunity to work on an evolving, popular game with smart, passionate people."

Current Employee - Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Lot of very passionate, skilled people to work with.
    Opportunity to work on a living, evolving game and get work into player's hands rapidly.
    Supportive attitude from management to staff interacting directly with the playerbase (forums etc).
    Opportunities to give feedback on features/initiatives from anywhere in the company.
    Nice, new office in a great location.
    Opportunity to work on a high profile, popular title with a strong esports/competitive scene.

Cons

Almost all roles require that you relocate to Santa Monica.
    Company's now large enough it's not possible to know everyone personally.

"Best company to work at - no going back to "the norm""

Current Employee - Design in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Design in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

* Amazing Talent
    * Innovative view on how to serve players
    * Great pay
    * Interesting problems to solve
    * Direct relationship to players
    * Passion throughout the entire company

Cons

* "Building the plane while it's in the air" - hard to fix problems due to update rate and live service sensitivity
    * A lot of ?'s that get brute forced with talent
    * Poor tools culture

Advice to Management

Stay fresh and adaptive - it's the company's best quality. Good job so far, but vigilance can never be compromised.

"Best Place to Work, Ever."

Current Employee - Game Designer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Incredibly intelligent people. Fun atmosphere. Passion for League of Legends. Young workforce, both in real age and attitude. Gamer focused.

I feel very empowered to do great work and make a big impact. Work I do gets out to millions of players very quickly and is hugely rewarding.

Cons

Santa Monica can be expensive, but the weather is awesome.
    A rapidly expanding workforce means that we have to work hard to keep the company culture intact.

Advice to Management

Riot's most valuable asset is its people, but protecting them means continuing to be selective about hiring.
    Consider incentives for more efficient commuting, like incentives for living near the office to enable biking or walking (which is also exercise).

"Opportunity for personal and professional growth has been amazing."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

- Passionate, Player-focused colleagues
    - Leadership is incredibly open to new ideas and fosters an environment of excellence.
    - Rewards results and execution

Cons

- Growing very fast in a new market. People looking for a rigid/hierarchical structure will have a hard time flourishing in this environment.
    - Work/Life balance can be hard at times as there is so much opportunity and potential growth currently.

"Riot Games is a land of opportunity for passionate, capable people that want to grow and learn."

Current Employee - Vice President of People in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of People in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

- Tangible passion amongst our people for games, and making our game awesome
    - really strong track record of empowering people to learn, grow and progress as quickly as they are able
    - Very practical in it's approach to making decisions generally - if something is a good idea, we do it whether it involves the game, benefits, our people, etc.
    - Flat, performance oriented culture - years of experience is not a key determining factor in how we hire or operate
    - humble, adaptable group of people - focused on continuous improvement and delighting our players
    - minimal politics and bureaucracy - good ideas win at Riot, whatever the source

Cons

- not for everyone - if you aren't passionate about video games, many roles here would be challenging
    - not a 9 to 5 job - great place if you are hungry to win, really challenging if you want a super predictable schedule or set of responsibilities
    - Company has grown very quickly - lots of changes and shifts internally all the time, need to be comfortable adapting to new challenges and situations

Advice to Management

As a member of this team, my perspective here is that we need to continue to focus on staying open minded, flexible and humble. Ultimately our mission is to be the most player focused company in the world. We're proud of what we've done, and the company we've built, but we are constantly striving to do better and more.

We realize the way we'll continue to achieve this success is by bring on the best folks in the world, keeping the amazing people we have, and ensuring that collectively we challenge ourselves and each other to keep striving to learn, grow, adapt and make things our player love.

8. "Couldn't think of a better work place"

Current Employee - Artist in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Artist in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young, modern, innovative, giving their employees all the freedom to grow, secure and always challenging, though I had a lot of offers from other companies in the past I've always turned them down. Riot Games is an amazing place to work for.

Cons

Harder to find an affordable house in Santa Monica (thus commuting every day). This is pretty much the only downside I can think of, as the rest is truly amazing.

Advice to Management

Whatever you are doing... just keep it up. I couldn't think of any improvements.

"Engaging work for a company that cares about its employees"

Current Employee - Game Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Riot cares about your happiness as an employee.
    -Riot cares about it's players
    -Flexible work hours
    -Free dinner!
    -Everyone is good at what they do here, excellence is expected
    -Good compensation
    -Makes a great game
    -Everyone LOVES games

Cons

-Riot fires people
    -Tad unorganized, have to self motivate and take initiative to get things done
    -Long hours are great if you love your job, not so great otherwise
    -Need to LOVE games to work here

"I've grown more professionally here in 2 years than in my previous 10."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Defining how games-as-service can operate successfully on a global scale.
    - I'm surrounded by the most talented people I've ever worked with.
    - A level of passion for the product and it's players that is unmatched by any gaming company.
    - Hard work and a commitment to excellence is rewarded.
    - Career growth opportunities abound for abound for those willing to meet the challenge.

Cons

- Work/Life balance at times can be hard due to the amazing growth of the company.
    - A bias toward action and self-starters. This can be intimidating to folks that have worked in more top-down organizations.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on building a strong organization. Companies growing this fast have a hard time maintaining a structure that provides for effective communication and employee mentorship/career development.