Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Nicolo Laurent

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I signed up to deal with the massive amounts of data that League of Legends collects" (in 36 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is outstanding" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance requires refocusing on smaller teams" (in 61 reviews)

• "While they catch up, it's created some significant growing pains that come with the territory" (in 31 reviews)

"Definitely An Employer Of Choice"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

First and foremost, there is a distinct and well-defined culture. This company has a great onboarding process – the best I’ve ever experienced. Managers actually honor the process so that Rioters can be focused on learning the ropes, which is really refreshing. It’s also clear that player experience is at the crux of everything Rioters do, and you can see there’s a great sense of pride in that.

Since I joined Riot I’ve had the opportunity to solve really interesting and challenging problems in my craft space, and I’ve been able to take what I’ve learned in my profession and scale it here. And that’s part of the beauty of working at Riot – having room to grow, and the ability to execute on your ideas.

Cons

A level of ambiguity and chaos that comes with an organization that’s going through growing pains which, for some, can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Invest in what’s next for the company, and that includes leveling up your managers. Their impact on culture can be significant, and so it’s important to ensure the leadership body is effective and that they continue to exemplify our values and manifesto.

2. "Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the culture, the product, the perks.

Cons

growing pains starting to show bureaucracy - fear of being a one hit wonder

Advice to Management

calibrate your senior managers they have very different standards and are often not aligned

3. "ERP Functional Lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vibrant,open minded environment where you can challenge anyone and it will be received with right intent.

Cons

Too many loose ends on people managment

Advice to Management

Have proper tools to better manage the resources without changing the culture.

"I love it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- super intelligent and humble people. don't feel like i have to babysit people or be held accountable for others' incompetence
    - bottom up decision making
    - get to play games at work!
    - direct communication and expectations
    - diversity is sincerely discussed and the company takes definite strides to ensure there's fairness in hiring, promotions, performance evaluations, etc. Diversity of the workforce and attitudes towards creating a positive environment for everyone definitely exceeded my expectations at a game company (or for any industry, really). That being said, as is true of every company -- there's still work to be done
    - excellent benefits (variety of healthcare options, 401k matching, free meals 3x/day, open PTO, game fund...)

I love working at Riot, it's exceeded my expectations in pretty much every way. I knew working at a video game company would probably be fun, but I expected a lot of things to be more immature and short-sighted than how they actually are here. I love that everyone is treated with respect and trust, rather than having intense levels of micromanagement to account for the lowest possible denominator. Culture is super important here, but that means we all have a common thread that binds us together, which is really nice after working at companies where there’s nothing connecting employees besides a paycheck. Personal development is also important, and you have the opportunity to grow and change roles if that's what makes the most sense for you.

Cons

- We’re always changing, and sometimes have to be more reactive than proactive.
    - Bottom up decision making means that sometimes decisions take a while to make as there’s no one person who says ‘this is how we’ll do things’. I actually quite like this, but it can make discussions a little long.
    - Can’t take food home – this is me being spoiled. To-go boxes pls

Advice to Management

Shorten the interview process. I get that you're looking for strong culture fits, but I think that could be done without the call with the final boss

5. "Game Design"

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Engaging and Productive workplace
    Good atmosphere

Cons

Location is a small problem for those not favoring crowded cities

"Still the Best Place to Be in Gaming"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Work with some of the best talent in the industry. I feel privileged to being able to work closely with the former WoW balance lead, the Exec Producer from Halo Reach, the Production Director from EVE, and many more talented individuals from inside and outside games. Riot is stacked with inspiring talent to learn from.

- Leadership of Gamers: I've been around the industry and most senior executives don't even play the games they worked on and made major decisions for. At Riot, you're an outsider if you don't play a bunch of games (Marc & Brandon the founders, Nicolo, the CEO, Scott the CTO are all big gamers) - this means they actually get hands-on and deeply understand the games being made (and what player concerns might be).

- New Leadership: I think Riot has been complacent in the last couple years, the luxury of success on League of Legends meant there was no urgency to innovate. The new leadership at the C-Level realizes that League and the R&D titles no longer have that luxury, and are making hard choices on prioritization.

- Cares about Rioters: Riot has fantastic perks because they want to keep the talent (that's us) happy. They're one of a handful of companies in gaming that believes their best assets are the people that make the game - and it shows in how they empower teams, manage careers, and invest in Rioters.

- Big Bets: Riot is betting big on its future titles, and it will be exciting to see them in front of players. Now is the time for Riot to choose which ones to accelerate and to make sure those bets land well for players. This year is going to be pivotal in making sure that happens.

Cons

- 2018 is not Riot's year: This is going to be a year where Riot is building its innovative projects, not the year when tons of new games are launched and glory/bonuses/launch parties are being celebrated. Riot making some difficult choices to make sure the company is on a healthy trajectory. New commitments, long term plans and focus is being applied this year, which means you aren't going to be doing exactly what you did last year. I'm bullish on the future however.

- Can't be complacent: The demand of Riot change, and you may find yourself called on to help the company win, rather than working on your dream project. At one point Riot let you do whatever you wanted with little demand for business results; that era is ending and a lot of Rioters aren't happy about it.

- Complexity Drag: As Riot gets bigger, the number of teams, disciplines, and stakeholders that get attached to any project increases. The cost of "synching what you're doing with team X" doesn't seem great, but the combined need to sync with a dozen groups creates significant drag on teams. They could operate faster and with fewer people if we freed them from the need to be so interconnected.

Advice to Management

- Continue (and do more) ruthlessly prioritizing among projects - choosing what is a priority is the only way we'll ever get a new game out the door.

- Try to share a little more internally on R&D; not everyone has your access and can't see the progress actually being made here.

- Think about how to simplify things for front-line Rioters to enable them to do their job faster and easier (especially if there is a drive for efficiency).

7. "Recruiting Coordinator"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- company perks
    - awesome talent
    - great growth mindsets
    - enjoyable work

Cons

- decisions are not always made in a timely manner

8. "Best place I've ever worked at"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

- gaming focused culture
    - talented and passionate teams
    - flat organizational hierarchy
    - healthy mix of work and play
    - awesome campus, lots of perks (free food, etc)

Cons

- org structure, roles and responsibilities can be ambiguous
    - not a lot of accountability when there's failure
    - senior leadership is risk averse and lacks diversity

"For those looking to grow & challenge themselves"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Riot puts a serious and genuine emphasis on both professional and personal growth. On top of the L&D courses they offer, Riot's packed full of some of the smartest industry professionals out there. If they've got the time, they'll help you grow beyond what you thought was possible. If they don't, many will prioritize their time around mentoring and growing their people.

The perks and benefits offered to Riot and our S/Os is leaps and bounds better then I've ever experienced anywhere. Things like unlimited PTO, on campus lunch & dinner, annual stipends to buy games, and so much more make Riot an incredible place to work.

Cons

With the explosion of League of Legends, Riot's been playing catch up ever since. While they catch up, it's created some significant growing pains that come with the territory. One of the last areas this exists is the HR/Talent org, where they are, and have been working like crazy to get things running smooth. Things like internal communications, finance and recruiting are still struggling to scale with the rest of the company, struggling to create and implement processes across the entire org. The start-up feelings are all but gone, minus some of the pain-points I mentioned above.

It's also not for everyone, if you're at the point in your career where you're looking for a resting spot for a few years, Riot is not that place. It will chew you up and spit you back out in no time. You have to be the kind of person that likes to be challenged, day in and day out, otherwise don't waste your time, and their time.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more accountability with Managers. Too often I see junior employees get placed on a performance improvement plan (PIP) by the same manager, while that manager often times isn't held accountable for their shortcomings. It's definitely gotten a lot better over the years, but still needs some work.

If Riot keeps looking after their people & and players, they'll of achieved their goal of becoming the most player focused game company in the world.

"Riot can be what you make of it"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros:
    - Campus is a great environment
    - Lots of smart coworkers
    - Everyone cares a lot about Riot's collective success
    - Open PTO and most teams have focus on health and sustainability (although some individual teams can have bad balance at times)
    - The wide variety of talent at Riot sets us up for success

Cons

- Can be difficult if you aren't a self-starter
    - Feeling the pain of transitioning from a one-hit-wonder into something more sustainable and professional

Advice to Management

- Still no game 2, need to ship some more games. Not every game needs to invent a new genre just to make a game