Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Riot Games CEO Brandon Beck
Brandon Beck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I signed up to deal with the massive amounts of data that League of Legends collects (in 35 reviews)

• Work-life balance is outstanding (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be tricky (in 59 reviews)

• The growing pains combined with lack of long term, or often even short term vision means there is a LOT of wasted output (in 25 reviews)

1. "Family"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

I work with some incredible and talented people. They are all (company wide) like family. We strive to give the best that we can and it shows.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be tricky.

"It's my dream"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The culture is what I've always wanted. A place where it's cool to be a nerd and people care passionately about what they're working on. People don't ask "do you play games?" but instead as "what games do you play?" I think it would be hard for a non-gamer to feel at home here unless you were highly competitive (e.g. sports) or had another deep passion in a nerdy thing (e.g. comics, harry potter, etc) and could empathize with your coworkers and players. People game LoL and other games during the day at work, which is so awesome. BUT if you don't like games, you might feel resentful of people doing that.
    - Riot is an inspiring place to be. Leadership continues to impress me with exciting vision and a focus on player value that manages to actually feel true. We have bi-monthly all-company meetings, and I always walk away from those feeling very proud of my place of work.
    - Learning is highly emphasized, including through many on-site classes that are truly excellent and help me improve in my day to day work as well as things I could take into my next career.
    - The perks are ridiculously good.

Cons

- Santa Monica is really expensive so it's really hard to find housing nearby, and if you don't live nearby, you've got a long commute ahead of you.
    - Some people take the perks for granted, or feel like all process is bad so we should do whatever we want, which leads to some entitlement that can be very frustrating.
    - As a woman, I was really worried about bro culture at Riot. I was happily surprised to find it not the case in general. But there are pockets of bro culture here and there, which can make me feel isolated. Plus it's tough going into a room full of high-powered men (most of the leadership is male) and being strong enough to have a voice. Diversity & Inclusion is something the leadership is taking seriously, but it's got a long way to go.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on diversity & inclusion.

"Amazing place to work despite some growing pains"

Current Employee - Senior Researcher
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Company genuinely believes and tries to live a player-first mentality (even if not always successful). Impressive that we haven't lost this as we've grown.
    - Despite below complaints, we still find ways to innovate and make LoL a better and better game
    - Vast amount of autonomy in work choice, method
    - Ability to influence product direction
    - Strong discipline management that encourages growth and quality work. Also supports you without micro-managing
    - Benefits are pretty stellar (medical, free food, unlimited PTO, holidays, gym, counseling, and more)
    - Lot of smart freaking people around you and there are tons of opportunities to learn
    - Salary is competitive

Cons

- In general, we're feeling the pain of transitioning from a small company that explosively grew into a larger one. We're not sure what processes work and we've been slow to catch up to our own success.
    - Company leadership is struggling to find it's path. This is changing, but generally speaking there isn't a ton of real direction provided by them and their roles/responsibilities are unclear
    - Development is just too slow. Despite motto around staying hungry, I think we've lost site of what that means in an environment where it seems like we have all the time/money in the world
    - R&D is still figuring out how to be good at what it does. Too slow, too lax.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership needs to be more specific and current with its direction and strategy. Many wishy-washy terms that need clearer definition, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of awareness of how the current market is shaping up/what the opportunities are.

4. "Researcher at Riot"

Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- High level of autonomy
    - Challenging problems
    - video games at work
    - competitive salary
    - food, gym subsidy, coffee, other perks
    - sympathetic managers that push you to do your best

Cons

- ‘old guard’ leadership still kind of sticks around without providing much direction. Not a huge deal since they mostly stay out of the way and let us make games, which is why most people are here
    - company is bloated for only having one game, unnecessarily slowing down decision making
    - accountability is weird, since exec leadership is kind of checked out. But that seems to be changing with recent developments.

Advice to Management

Get the right leadership in place at the highest level of the org. Don’t treat them like your friends, and fire them quickly if they’re not panning out.

5. "Solid employer that cares about its people, holds true to it's values, and enables you to do great things"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture where staff are empowered to deliver great things. Get to work with incredibly talented people and teams that know what they're doing. Comp/benefits packages ahead of the industry and facilities/perks are amazing - great place to work.

Cons

Historically problems solved by throwing money at it, need to go back and clean up a lot of operations overhead. Don't exit employees fast enough.

"Great company with growing pains"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Some of the smartest , most passionate, experienced, self aware people I've ever met in my career. Lots of them! I'm learning from them every day.

2. "Players first" culture and "one Riot- one team" incentive structures eliminates 99% of politics in the workplace. Where politics do exist, it is usually due to low self awareness or lack of leadership skill-set of an individual leader

3. Empowerment to make change and impact at a very large scale. If you are entrepreneurial and love solving complex problems (tech, product, process, organizational, people etc), Riot is THE place for you. High rate of growth and change create plenty of opportunities for high potential leaders to rise and succeed.

4. Riot has been a single-game studio for a very long time. Now is a very interesting inflection point in its life-cycle: transitioning to be a multi-game studio. The challenges and opportunities associated with this transition are amazing.

5. Senior leadership at Riot is invigorated to help solve some of the "growing pains" and well as existing problems s.a. lack of strategy at the top, diversity and inclusion (I am a female leader and am witnessing+helping lead these efforts/changes first-hand), good financial oversight, making senior leadership a tight-knit team, etc. It's really exciting to see them LISTEN, acknowledge and put new processes and mindset in place to help improve the company and prepare it for its next inflection point.

Cons

1. Fast growth and very discerning hiring practices meant a lot of fairly junior existing leaders had to step up to the challenge and take the biggest roles of their careers. This meant a lot of inexperience leaders in senior roles. This means that they make mistakes - in managing people, in org design, in product/process, etc. They receive a lot of feedback which makes it very tough or them mentally to persevere (so burnout is a thing). And in many cases they don't have good resources (e.g. mentors) to turn to for help. This can and does create quite a bit of negative perceptions on them, their managers etc. More structured training/mentoring/management practices combined with good performance management from the very top and hiring more experienced leaders should be embraced to help overcome this problem.

2. It can feel lonely if you are a manager or a leader at Riot. Everyone is so focused on work, they barely have time to seek each other out, get help and provide support for each other, works as one team.

Advice to Management

Invest in your leadership and management team (training, learning, mentoring, support, building a team), and also seek ways to make sure those leaders are not burning out / feeling overwhelmed (e.g. by prioritizing, saying "no" to certain new projects etc). Hire/bring on-board a few more really experienced leaders who know how to operate at this scale.

"Overall a great place to work"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Smart, talented and professional colleagues. I work on a team at Riot where every single person is smart, talented and professional. I find that most Rioters I interact with outside of my team also possess these qualities.

2. Big impact. I get constant satisfaction knowing that our collective work impacts the 100 million+ people that play League of Legends each month. That's a lot of joy to bring to the world.

3. Work/life balance. Riot has an amazing work/life balance. I feel so lucky.

4. Compensation. Speaking for my job anyway, compensation is top of the market.

5. Senior leadership. I usually agree with our senior leadership. When I don't agree, I feel comfortable expressing my disagreement without fear of reprisal. I also have confidence that they will take us in the right direction.

6. Company culture. Riot is a great place for gamers. It has a focus on hiring gamers and always thinks about putting the player experience first. As a hardcore gamer, I really appreciate this and find that it adds additional meaning to my work.

Cons

1. Lack of future leadership identification/growth program. Riot doesn't yet have a program or process for identifying future leaders and ensuring their growth and development within the company. As a result, Riot risks losing top talent that cannot find ways to grow beyond their current role.

2. Lack of accountability. Too many Rioters aren't held accountable for poor decision-making. While this may be about to change, it hasn't yet.

3. Not enough sense of urgency/hunger. Perhaps this comes from lots of Rioters making truckloads of money when Tencent bought the company, but whatever it is, it feels like there is too much complacency.

4. Some Rioters lack a sense of appreciation. Some Rioters, particularly those who have never worked a "real job," do not seem to appreciate what Riot offers them. Most jobs do not offer free lunch and dinner, allow you to play games at work, unlimited free specialty coffee drinks, basketball court on campus, etc., and some Rioters really take these things for granted rather than treating them as privileges that should not be abused.

Advice to Management

It's truly an exciting time to work at Riot. The new management team has talked about changes that will happen in 2018. They all sound great. Go make them happen.

8. "Uniquely awesome place to work, has its growing pains and is not for everyone"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Dynamic company with tons of opportunities for motivated, high performing individuals
    - Employees at all levels are given a lot of empowerment
    - Opportunity to be part of a company that really cares about its players and that makes truly amazing, top tier stuff - League itself, videos, Esports production, etc.
    - Great perks
    - If you have a strong intrinsic motivation to work in video games, are socially adept, and a self-starter comfortable in ambiguity, you will be very happy working here

Cons

- Empowerment, while great, in the wrong hands can result in poor results - empire-building by senior people, low productivity by junior people. Riot can sometimes be too tolerant of ineffective teams / poor performers
    - Talent team / capabilities still subpar. Performance management system not where it needs to be. Feedback sucks even though we pride ourselves on an open feedback culture. You need to work hard and proactively to develop your own career.
    - Sense of entitlement can be a turn-off. Sometimes see this in junior Rioters who haven't had to slave in corporate America, sometimes see it in senior Rioters who have lost their sense of humility

Advice to Management

In my short time here I've already seen some great, solid steps taken to mature the company as we continue to evolve from start-up to big video game company.

Don't be afraid to continue pushing dramatic top-down change that will make Riot better, even if it rocks some boats.

9. "Good combination of really smart and humble people, great challenges and amazing culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coming from a traditional background (banking), I was not completely sure that the videogame industry would be a viable career. I could not be more wrong. It is a perfect place! Will you have the opportunity to work on something you're super passionate about... And this changes the way you see your work.

The culture is not only a banner on the wall... It is really part of everyday's decision: hiring, investment, changes etc. It is a very open and transparent culture.

You, as a gamer, will be working with other gamers to deliver amazing stuff for gamers. If you love this industry, that's the right place for you. Riot provides all the resources that you might need in your projects and trust for you to learn along the way.

Cons

Everyone has an opinion for everything and discussions can last for a long time if the direction is not clear. However, when the direction is determined, the delivery power is immense.

Advice to Management

Riot is starting to make a transition to a corporate culture (processes, metrics etc). It is important to keep in mind that this can be a risk to the amazing culture established at Riot.

10. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Managers and leadership care about the people who work here. It's easy to balance life and work as schedules can often be worked out on a per-team basis. The company is focused on delivering great player experiences, not on how to extract money from unhappy people. The company is successful and stable.

Cons

The fast growth has lead to inefficiencies, especially around cross-team development efforts