Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Nicolo Laurent

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I signed up to deal with the massive amounts of data that League of Legends collects (in 35 reviews)

• Work-life balance is outstanding (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance requires refocusing on smaller teams (in 61 reviews)

• Usual growing pains of a relatively young, fast growing company (in 28 reviews)

1. "Recruiting Coordinator"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- company perks
    - awesome talent
    - great growth mindsets
    - enjoyable work

Cons

- decisions are not always made in a timely manner

2. "Best place I've ever worked at"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

- gaming focused culture
    - talented and passionate teams
    - flat organizational hierarchy
    - healthy mix of work and play
    - awesome campus, lots of perks (free food, etc)

Cons

- org structure, roles and responsibilities can be ambiguous
    - not a lot of accountability when there's failure
    - senior leadership is risk averse and lacks diversity

"For those looking to grow & challenge themselves"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Riot puts a serious and genuine emphasis on both professional and personal growth. On top of the L&D courses they offer, Riot's packed full of some of the smartest industry professionals out there. If they've got the time, they'll help you grow beyond what you thought was possible. If they don't, many will prioritize their time around mentoring and growing their people.

The perks and benefits offered to Riot and our S/Os is leaps and bounds better then I've ever experienced anywhere. Things like unlimited PTO, on campus lunch & dinner, annual stipends to buy games, and so much more make Riot an incredible place to work.

Cons

With the explosion of League of Legends, Riot's been playing catch up ever since. While they catch up, it's created some significant growing pains that come with the territory. One of the last areas this exists is the HR/Talent org, where they are, and have been working like crazy to get things running smooth. Things like internal communications, finance and recruiting are still struggling to scale with the rest of the company, struggling to create and implement processes across the entire org. The start-up feelings are all but gone, minus some of the pain-points I mentioned above.

It's also not for everyone, if you're at the point in your career where you're looking for a resting spot for a few years, Riot is not that place. It will chew you up and spit you back out in no time. You have to be the kind of person that likes to be challenged, day in and day out, otherwise don't waste your time, and their time.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more accountability with Managers. Too often I see junior employees get placed on a performance improvement plan (PIP) by the same manager, while that manager often times isn't held accountable for their shortcomings. It's definitely gotten a lot better over the years, but still needs some work.

If Riot keeps looking after their people & and players, they'll of achieved their goal of becoming the most player focused game company in the world.

"Riot can be what you make of it"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Pros:
    - Campus is a great environment
    - Lots of smart coworkers
    - Everyone cares a lot about Riot's collective success
    - Open PTO and most teams have focus on health and sustainability (although some individual teams can have bad balance at times)
    - The wide variety of talent at Riot sets us up for success

Cons

- Can be difficult if you aren't a self-starter
    - Feeling the pain of transitioning from a one-hit-wonder into something more sustainable and professional

Advice to Management

- Still no game 2, need to ship some more games. Not every game needs to invent a new genre just to make a game

"Great place for self starters"

Current Employee - Talent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Talent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunity for growth, I've worked at Riot for a few years and they have continued to recognize my performance and give me the opportunity to increase my scope.
    - Challenging place, but almost always for the good. Riot's natural instinct is to question. The manifesto says "Challenge Convention" which can be done, but you have to be willing to do the challenge part.
    - Takes great care of their employees, we have great benefits, an awesome location that we work in.
    - True to the manifesto
    - Autonomy, our managers do not breathe down our backs and review every line item of what we do. There is trust among us to do what is right.

Cons

- There is so much work to do, that you could literally not go home. You really have to self regulate yourself.
    - The company does not have a great roadmap for the future (meaning it is behind the locked doors of R&D).

Advice to Management

- Ship another game. Leadership may need to help the R&D team prioritize and make a commitment to the players.
    - Creating an overly corporate atmosphere (not that we are there now, but we could be sooner than later) may detract from our ability to move fast and make the best decisions for the players. Also, who wants to work in that kind of environment?

6. "If you love League of Legends, there is no better place to work"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

fun and dynamic, true to its values

Cons

young company having growing pains

7. "Gamer's dream! Fun culture, with serious workers"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom to take on initiatives, plenty of opportunities to solve different problem spaces, you can build relationships even with others not immediately within your working ladder, and the culture has plenty of likeminded gamers who believe in the Riot Manifesto.

Cons

Can be easy to be overwhelmed at first as no one is going to hand hold you, work life balance can be off if you don't keep an eye on it, growth is on you to figure out which is a good and bad thing, easy to feel intimidated by longer standing workers and strong personalities. These are all solvable with the right mentality though!

Advice to Management

It's easy to get disconnected from your workers and miss the signs of pain through your workforce. Always keep an eye out and keep your ears close to the ground.

8. "Best Company I've Worked For"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are lots of pros and I feel they are subjective to each person, but to me , the biggest pro is the culture at Riot. Previous companies I've worked for have a manifesto but don't eat their own dog food, that is not the case at Riot and it generally puts a smile on my face when decisions are made based around how impacting it will be our players overall experience (positive or negative) and focus is adjusted in a positive direction.

I'm genuinely excited to be at work everyday. After a year that honestly hasn't changed.

Cons

Hard Cons:
    - Location. If you plan on being close to work be ready for the sticker shock.
    - Location. If you plan on commuting to work, LA traffic won't let you down on being pissed off in your car :)
    - Work/Life balance requires refocusing on smaller teams.

Meh Cons:
    - There is a high technical bar, that doesn't seem to stay in one place long enough to reach it, so lane swaps and teleports don't happen as much as you would expect.
    - The silo effect is real up until the last.. possible... minute....

Advice to Management

Senior Management communication to the organization is above the fold in terms of what I have experienced in the past, stay on course please....

Help avoid the silo effect by fostering better communication habits within smaller teams about what they are working on and who their customers are internally.

Documentation and collaboration could use some adjusting as most relevant reading material isn't accessible without reaching out to the appropriate owners for access to read about what they are working on.

"It's my dream"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The culture is what I've always wanted. A place where it's cool to be a nerd and people care passionately about what they're working on. People don't ask "do you play games?" but instead as "what games do you play?" I think it would be hard for a non-gamer to feel at home here unless you were highly competitive (e.g. sports) or had another deep passion in a nerdy thing (e.g. comics, harry potter, etc) and could empathize with your coworkers and players. People game LoL and other games during the day at work, which is so awesome. BUT if you don't like games, you might feel resentful of people doing that.
    - Riot is an inspiring place to be. Leadership continues to impress me with exciting vision and a focus on player value that manages to actually feel true. We have bi-monthly all-company meetings, and I always walk away from those feeling very proud of my place of work.
    - Learning is highly emphasized, including through many on-site classes that are truly excellent and help me improve in my day to day work as well as things I could take into my next career.
    - The perks are ridiculously good.

Cons

- Santa Monica is really expensive so it's really hard to find housing nearby, and if you don't live nearby, you've got a long commute ahead of you.
    - Some people take the perks for granted, or feel like all process is bad so we should do whatever we want, which leads to some entitlement that can be very frustrating.
    - As a woman, I was really worried about bro culture at Riot. I was happily surprised to find it not the case in general. But there are pockets of bro culture here and there, which can make me feel isolated. Plus it's tough going into a room full of high-powered men (most of the leadership is male) and being strong enough to have a voice. Diversity & Inclusion is something the leadership is taking seriously, but it's got a long way to go.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on diversity & inclusion.

"Amazing place to work despite some growing pains"

Current Employee - Senior Researcher
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Company genuinely believes and tries to live a player-first mentality (even if not always successful). Impressive that we haven't lost this as we've grown.
    - Despite below complaints, we still find ways to innovate and make LoL a better and better game
    - Vast amount of autonomy in work choice, method
    - Ability to influence product direction
    - Strong discipline management that encourages growth and quality work. Also supports you without micro-managing
    - Benefits are pretty stellar (medical, free food, unlimited PTO, holidays, gym, counseling, and more)
    - Lot of smart freaking people around you and there are tons of opportunities to learn
    - Salary is competitive

Cons

- In general, we're feeling the pain of transitioning from a small company that explosively grew into a larger one. We're not sure what processes work and we've been slow to catch up to our own success.
    - Company leadership is struggling to find it's path. This is changing, but generally speaking there isn't a ton of real direction provided by them and their roles/responsibilities are unclear
    - Development is just too slow. Despite motto around staying hungry, I think we've lost site of what that means in an environment where it seems like we have all the time/money in the world
    - R&D is still figuring out how to be good at what it does. Too slow, too lax.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership needs to be more specific and current with its direction and strategy. Many wishy-washy terms that need clearer definition, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of awareness of how the current market is shaping up/what the opportunities are.