Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Riot Games CEO Brandon Beck
Brandon Beck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • League of legends, the game title of Riot is still popular (in 32 reviews)

• There's definitely a high regard for their employees and the work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't want your life to be work, then work-life balance (in 55 reviews)

• The growing pains combined with lack of long term, or often even short term vision means there is a LOT of wasted output (in 23 reviews)

"Remember "Stay hungry, stay humble"?"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great campus with a ton of benefits ranging from free lattes, and competitive salaries to unlimited PTO.
    Some of the very best people in the Gaming industry are currently at Riot.
    Leaders range from god tier to meh, as such, teams/departments range from god tier to meh as well.
    Mobility is yours to navigate. You can find your career path and set about reaching your goals.

Cons

The famed Riot Manifesto has been weaponized by some.
    If you don't self-identify as a HARD CORE GAMER best not apply. Non-gamers, if hired, are shamed and made to feel like second class citizens.
    Is it possible to be proud of being humble? If so, Riot has mastered it.
    It is possible to be successful at Riot without ever have to really do anything. Just look busy, say the right things and pivot to another team when things get hot.
    The campus is making strides to be more diverse, but there are no women in the top leadership spots and remnants of the former bro-culture linger.
    Chaos and lack of process are rampant. Teams are wrapping their arms around this and trying to make progress, but some of the original team members see this as an erosion of Riot's cultural branding.

Advice to Management

Watch who has left, who is leaving and look for trends.

2. "Riot"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Accountant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Accountant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic place to work, interesting developments, constantly changing environment.

Cons

Work life balance is poor. Not sure on long term career prospects.

Advice to Management

Need to look at the long term health of teams.

3. "Community Specialist"

Former Employee - Community Development Specialist in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Community Development Specialist in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people
    Great culture
    Growth minded
    Low processes and bureaucracy

Cons

Becoming a little reliant on data
    Becoming a little risk adverse

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on growth mindset and remember why we hire gamers and LoL players so that we instinctively know what we should be working on.

"Great place to build a career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Tons of driven people from other tech, gaming, and other industries.
    - Able to work on projects that impact hundreds of millions of players.
    - Fantastic perks from free lunch and dinner every weekday, coffee and smoothie bars, and gaming lounges.
    - Lots of growth opportunities, room for advancement across the organization.

Cons

- Riot is growing extremely rapidly, and ensuring that all new hires are aligned to our culture is becoming more difficult.
    - Not as open as other tech companies about R&D teams. Riot is very risk-adverse to leaks in general. This is starting to change in the last couple of years.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on players, and Riot will succeed.

"Great place to work for the right kind of person"

Former Employee - User Experience Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super intense culture, results focused, top tier talent

Cons

Super intense culture (can turn off some), complex organization, slow upward mobility

6. "Senior Concept Artist"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience and food

Cons

too many cooks in kitchen

"The "Riot manifesto" is why I joined. It's also why I left."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Nice people
    - Smart people
    - PTOs
    - Free snacks
    - Great campus
    - Location

Cons

"Player's experience first / Challenge convention / Focus on talent and team / Take play seriously / Stay hungry; stay humble."

On paper, the Riot manifesto looks amazing. But in reality, each item of the manifesto is either being interpreted in a different way, not being used at all, or weaponized.

The visible implications of this are:
    - Rioters would prioritize their well-being over player’s experience because the sense of entitlement has never been kept in check. Many employees play 5-6 hours a day. You don’t really need to work hard to be successful (you actually don’t need to be successful at all, just average and quiet).
    - Nobody feels accountable for anything meaning that nobody really cares about delivering on time, or simply delivering anything at all.
    - Doing anything is always about finding a consensus or getting alignment, never about challenging convention. Challenging convention is actually risky at Riot because you can easily be labelled as “complicated to work with”, “pig headed” or “culturally not aligned”. If you really want to push something without getting the approval of 50 people, you better be right because if you are right, leaders will congratulate you for that, but if you are wrong, they will tell you that you should have listened and will not trust you anymore for anything. Simply put, it’s safer to keep it low or you could get blamed for that.
    - Since Riot only has one game for now, innovating is always a risk. You don’t want to screw up your cash cow.
    - Innovation is also not possible because League has so many things to do to just catch up with the competition (because the team is so slow at delivering anything).

And the results are that:
    - Everything takes forever.
    - High achievers get bored and leave.
    - The ones who stay get frustrated and become either toxic or chronic complainers (labelled “snowflakes” internally).
    -Mediocrity becomes more and more the norm.

All these behaviours are due to a lack of distinct direction, ownership and accountability at every level. But at the end of the day, individual contributors are not the ones to blame. It is up to the leadership to create an environment enabling every contributor to succeed in delivering value to players.

Advice to Management

I really wanted to like it. Rioters are really nice people and I feel like Riot treats its employees well (see the pros). It’s actually because of this, that working there was frustrating. It is saddening to see a company like Riot being held back by its leaders.
    I bet Riot is incredibly rich and could live on its assets for years. But I feel like without a change in governance, this won’t last. I see it as death by a thousand cuts.

Now, I'm confident Riot will figure out how to fix this. Leaders are aware that something needs to change. The thing is, this is probably going to be a very long process since 1) Riot is probably not in financial distress in the short term 2) the way to change things requires some leaders to be let go. Riot is pretty cliquey meaning that current leaders won’t kick each other out anytime soon.

Players may not have the patience to see the change though...

8. "Pros and Cons"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Good people, good benefits, great culture.

Cons

Can be hard to grow in this environment.

"Riot Games fears change, hides behind "data" and hates women."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks. Coffee bar is pretty cool.

Cons

Boys club.
    Limited long-term opportunities.
    Highly political workplace. Because Rioters get so little done and move so slowly they have more time to nitpick and further slow progress. Leadership is largely absent.
    Riot's manifesto is really just a stack of weapons used to kill ideas, prevent change or avoid work.
    HR team (talent) is a joke.
    If you are a woman, DO NOT WORK HERE.
    Consensus required for any new work or changes.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the effectiveness of your talent team. Invest in competent team leaders. Connect with the women in the workplace and attempt to understand what they go through. Hold teams accountable for answering why progress is so slow.

Riot Games Response

Nov 21, 2017 – Manager of Diversity & Inclusion

Hey there,

My name is Soha, and I lead the Diversity & Inclusion efforts at Riot. Your review is really concerning to me, not only because of the sentiment toward women, but also as a fellow... More

10. "Great to be here"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Transparency, Autonomy, Empowered, Fair, - Just a few words that come to mind when I think of working at Riot.

Cons

Connection with our central offices could be better - but we are working hard on improving this