Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Nicolo Laurent

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I signed up to deal with the massive amounts of data that League of Legends collects (in 35 reviews)

• Work-life balance is outstanding (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance requires refocusing on smaller teams (in 61 reviews)

• Usual growing pains of a relatively young, fast growing company (in 28 reviews)

1. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Media & Community Lead in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Media & Community Lead in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing job culture
    - Focus on players
    - Challenge convention

Cons

- Nothing, is the dream company

Advice to Management

Nothing related.

2. "GG Thanks for the Job"

I have been working at Riot Games part-time

Pros

Good location and a beautiful place

Cons

nothing so many important to say

"50% cult - 50% communist China"

Current Employee - Animator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Animator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Benefits
    - Unlimited PTO
    - Campus and free food
    - Some super talented co-workers

Cons

-The company culture is a complete failure. It's mostly used in a weaponized way to win arguments.
    Challenging convention is not a good idea at Riot, as well as giving negative feedback. You will be labeled as a negative, toxic person, and you won't be having an easy time with your team. The senior leadership, especially, doesn't take negative feedback very well, and is extremely good at dancing around issues and using their political skills. Agree with the leadership (or who's in touch with it), and everything will be alright.
     Despite what the so-called "Riot Manifesto" says, titles count at Riot, and a lot of senior people leverage them (combined with Alpha behaviors, political games and back stabbing) to win arguments and keep their status.
    "Hungry&Humble", I've seen many high-level people making fun of other companies and talking about Riot superiority, despite Riot constantly failing at delivering a second game in the last decade. Egos of a lot of people are way too big.

- Favoritism is a big issue in the company, a lot of people in the senior leadership are not qualified for their jobs and, despite their constant failures at what they're doing (and a lot of people under them having a hard time/losing their jobs), keep their positions because they're buddies with the owners. These people's accountability doesn't exist, which is very disrespectful for the other employees.

- In 4 years I've experienced and seen a lot of discrimination towards sex, race and nationality, by a lot of people who never faced consequences for their actions.

- Extreme corporate atmosphere, with a lot of bad politics happening.

- Being at Riot feels like being in a cult. Orientation ("De-Newbiefication" in the Riot language) is basically a full week of indoctrination. You're forced to wear an embarassing hat and, during one of the classes, you're asked to share a painful experience, in which you felt vulnerable (exactly like a lot of cults do). A lot of company gatherings in which a lot of hyperbolic (unrealistic, in reality), things about the company are said, to an audience wearing Riot clothes. Questioning stuff that Riot does (the game, esports, etc.) is perceived extremely negatively.

- If you're planning on building a portfolio, go somewhere else. Riot moves slowly, the amount of work and the quality of it will be not up to par with the current industry standards.

Advice to Management

Start making accountability a thing, and get rid of a lot of the leadership (most of them would be associate/mid-level in a lot of other companies, anyways).

If the company culture means something, be pro-active in making sure people respect it, instead of allowing them to use it for their personal advantage. Or just change the company culture and be honest about it.

Start understanding that Riot has been able to put out only a mediocre game in 11 years (that now is starting to look and feel incredibly old), and realize that our competitors are constantly beating us.
    Less time self-celebrating ourselves, more game-shipping.

Riot Games Response

Apr 26, 2018 – HR Generalist

Hi,

I'm Michelle, a Talent Generalist at Riot.

First, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

It saddens me to hear that you have had a negative experience at Riot and I... More

"The successes of Rome lead to its downfall"

Current Employee - Member of the Talent Team in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Member of the Talent Team in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people filled with passion. Unlimited PTO. Stocked pantries and a full buffet.

Cons

Leadership is questionable, especially in the areas of Talent/Recruiting. Mistrust is rampant and the Riot Manifesto, the living code of the company, is now a straw dog.
    Honest and open feedback given to leadership of those teams, in the spirit of improving the situation, is not taken well with the recipients deflecting responsibility or becoming overly defensive.

Talent Partners (HR Reps) and members of the recruiting team have left or are leaving. And as we've been told Talent leadership, "People leave a job they love not for more money or greater opportunity, but because of poor leadership". Physicians heal thyselves.

Creative Development is leaderless. Teams spin up , spend millions of player dollars, and spin down with no accountability. Yes, part of this is the creative process, but how often and much wasted player money is too much? Such a waste of talent who believed in Riot.

Advice to Management

New Leadership is in place - start leading. Take a look at exit interview feedback and look for commonalities. People loved Riot and yet they left. Why is that?

"There once was a dream that was Rome"

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

In the interest of fairness, I want to make it clear that there are plenty of great people at Riot, including some great leaders. It’s also made a great game and has made major progress in eSports which, as a gamer, is awesome. They also do a lot of superficial stuff pretty well - nice campus, perks, etc.

Cons

The world changes and what made Riot great years ago isn’t the case today. If one were to isolate a turning point in Riot’s culture, my money’s on the Tencent buy-out in late 2015. Company culture, which used to be flawed (as any place is) but usually good at heart has become much more “Lord of the Flies” as senior leaders are preoccupied with empire building or just completely checked out. Often you can find multiple layers of management (including the top) who have no idea what is going on and who stonewall progress because good ideas aren’t theirs. Organizational planning is more or less nonexistent which at thousands of employees means lots of redundant work and people with no real responsibility free-riding. Relatively straightforward questions of business direction are still unanswered to the point of crippling progress due to an inability to get out of a no-decision spiral. Acquisitions are poorly integrated and seem like boondoggles for our senior leaders and finance team rather than genuine ways of extending our products or reach. Leadership is unconcerned with the above and pretty content to fiddle while Rome burns, or more specifically they seem to prefer hanging out with other LA celebrities and spend their money and company resources vs. generating new business.

Progress on new titles is glacial, I’ve lost track of how many times we’ve been beaten to market. The most successful use of our IP in the last seven years (honor of Kings) wasn't made by us and there has been no perspective from leadership on either why that shouldn’t have been Riot or how we’re going to meaningfully change in the future to be more successful at shipping new experiences to players. The most concerning part is the low sense of urgency even after many years of setbacks. I’ve had high-performing colleagues who have switched off of new games teams of their own volition because they were bored due to lack of work.

Core gamer dogma means this place is non-inclusive as all getout. There are plenty of people who are gamers and care about games who aren't willing to invest in competitive PvP. Some of them may even have different backgrounds and ideas. Crazy, I know.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look about who actually has skills and perspective, is there to add value, and cares about the company vs. just looking to hang out and/or line their own pockets. In the cases of senior management, many of you are in the latter camp - please do everyone a favor and GTFO. Expand the definition of gamer a bit. Launch a new game?

6. "Great place to work if you love video games and entertainment"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Company Perks
    - Talents
    - Disruptive atmosphere
    - Feedback culture

Cons

- No diversity
    - Lack of management for people who work during weekends
    - Lack of work-life balance

Advice to Management

As a game/tech company would be nice to see at Riot the same concern on diversity we can see nowadays in other big companies such as Google, Facebook or even Disney - not just internally as a company but also in the product

"Failing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, Fully stocked kitchen, Flexible start time.

Cons

Relentless wheel of nonsense, mixed priorities, and games (not the good kind).

Advice to Management

Remove the blockers (upper management) and get back to what made Riot great.

8. "The most rewarding and challenging experience"

Former Employee - Program Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Program Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Amazing perks (great health benefits, fully subsidized meals and snacks, unlimited PTO, and more)
    - Passionate people that truly care about the player experience
    - If you ask, many are willing to teach you about their work
    - Many do take play seriously to keep themselves current in the industry
    - In general, Rioters have the best intentions
    - The quality of work expected is really high
    - They take community feedback to heart

Cons

- Entitlement and complacency is growing
    - Weaponizing the mission and manifesto in defense of being questioned about their work and decisions instead of justifying the why
    - More Rioters not seeking to understand the cost (resources and time) of what they ask for
    - Compromising strong cultural values for specific skills in new hires, bringing with them toxic bad habits from previous companies
    - Several manual processes that have carried on from the older days are still around, causing more slow down in productivity.

Advice to Management

As much as I appreciate the focused and accountability direction the top leadership is putting on themselves and the other senior leaders, I hope they put new practices in place that identify self-serving people that are creeping in. Keep management hungry for growth and ask for ways to improve.

Unfortunately, the perks at Riot are becoming more of an influencing factor to motivate people to join and stay here. Continued growth is being replaced with "You just don't get it. Just do your job." If all the perks were taken away to help ensure the success of the company for the reason we were all led to believe, would they stay?

After being part of the company for 6 years, I've learned so much and will be forever grateful for the opportunities Riot Games has given me. Bring the healthy urgency back, don't lose the hunger and the humility, and continue to seek out growth and improvement. I'll always be rooting for you.

"Mostly Like They Promised"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent Team: Most people I work with are the best at their jobs I have worked with. Everyone from engineering leads to talent partners to recruiters to product owners to project managers
    - No jerks policy works: most engineers are smart AND easy to work with
    - Highly Collaborative: open culture of constructive feedback is truly in effect, and you are expected to contribute
    - People Read the Docs: If you write documentation for your work, people generally read it and give feedback on it
    - Truly a gamer culture: people are passionate about good games from top to bottom
    - Lap of Luxury: Working at Riot is an experience in luxury - great food, great coffee, amazing facilities. Its almost too much

Cons

- Large scale is stressing Traditional Riot Values: Riot is now a large-ish company, and its bottom-up, gamer-first culture is under stress. These growing pains are going to hit the long-timers pretty hard in the coming years
    - Innovators Dilemma: After years of focusing on an incredibly successful product, finding "what's next" is difficult and slow. Many Rioters want to do something new, but the culture and the structure of the company don't make it clear how to make that happen
    - No Clear Leadership: Highly collaborative culture is great, but its far too time consuming to create horizontal alignment for every decision, including massive strategic pivots. This is changing, and the internal management structure is starting to become more top-down/hierarchical. Most of Riot considers a Bad Thing, but in my judgement, its a necessary step to take the company to the next step.
    - Non-financial decision making: Riot pretty much NEVER considers money when making decisions. This leads to a lot of difficult to understand priorities. Again, the new leadership is starting too look at normal considerations like ROI and margin when making decisions. I think its a good idea, but talking dollars and cents is jarring to lots of long-time Rioters.
    - Not Invented Here (NIH): A lack of monetary accountability and some degree of engineering over-confidence allows engineers to re-invent the wheel a lot more often than than necessary

Advice to Management

- Continue adding financial accountability structures and some hierarchical managerial practices
    - Be aware that this will alienate long-time Rioters and be careful in making these adjustments

10. "Recruiting Coordinator"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- company perks
    - awesome talent
    - great growth mindsets
    - enjoyable work

Cons

- decisions are not always made in a timely manner