Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Riot Games CEO Brandon Beck
Brandon Beck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • League of legends, the game title of Riot is still popular (in 32 reviews)

• There's definitely a high regard for their employees and the work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance, you can work for months without rest (in 53 reviews)

• Grew very fast and is experiencing growing pains (in 22 reviews)

1. "Growing Pains"

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Riot is still an amazing company that is growing a lot and will probably grow a lot more. Great intentions, open feedback, lots of perks.

Cons

Like every company, it's going through some growth pains where a lot of the culture has been lost.

Advice to Management

When you see a flag, investigate it. There's a lot going on in parts of the company that go completely against company culture. It's like poison being spread. A lot of very talented, awesome people are getting demotivated because of a selected few in senior management. Especially in non-central regions.

"Growth opportunities abound... if you have the stamina"

Current Employee - Web Content Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Web Content Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Driven individuals who have a genuine desire to grow.
    High caliber of hires brings learnings from some of the best companies around.

Cons

Burnout, especially in esports, is rampant.
    Accountability on decision-making isn't what it needs to be.

"Results don't matter"

Current Employee - Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hyper intelligent and passionate people.
    Better than average comp for the industry.
    Excellent campus

Cons

Decisions are made through a social filter. Feedback is a two edge sword here. Used responsibly it can unlock amazing people to do amazing things. Used irresponsibly anyone can say anything about anyone else and they can be held accountable for it regardless of if it's understood or even true. It can lead to an environment in which results matter less than opinion.

Advice to Management

Be careful of opinions trumping results. If Player Value is King then reward for value delivered.

"The Good Bad and Ugly.... Mostly Ugly"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was with the company for over three years and met some fantastic people. The type of people that made you want to go into the office everyday.

The campus is beautiful, they feed you lunch/dinner, and there is booze.

Mr. Beck & Mr. Merrill are nothing but outstanding people.

In house employees coast through work using minimal effort, because RIOT hires temps through agencies to do their work.

Cons

The post "Bait & Switch", "Bro Culture" & "Not the place for a professional challenge" hit it on the head and are not exaggerating at all. The sum of those three post paint a real good picture.

Temps can work over 5 years without being offered an in house position.

Management not open to change. Company is incest.

Advice to Management

Read your Riot Global Surveys.

Do not be afraid to listen to new ideas.

"Great Product - Poor work/life balance"

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The game is amazing and it's been a pleasure to work on it. The company makes an effort to keep the opportunities open for all employees for new ideas and collaboration. You are surrounded by passionate people, who are truly dedicated to what they do. Overall people with entrepreneurial mindset fit in the best.

Cons

Passion sometimes can also be a con, and here I noticed that it was hurting the work/life balance aspect. It was nearly frowned upon for you to come in on time and walk out of the office on time - crazy work hours were a "social norm".

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

- Great people
    - Great culture
    - They care about your growth
    - They want to make things the best way
    - Great work environment

Cons

- They are bad at making a strategy
    - The work isn't focus
    - The software is not complex so there isn't a challenge on that.

"Great company, culture, and perks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, great benefits, fun work, amazing atmosphere

Cons

Large teams that can be a little unorganized

"This is a great place to be in Gaming today"

Current Employee - Localization QA Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Localization QA Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Riot Games is a fantastic company, and I feel privileged to be part of this team. I’m surrounded by some of the brightest people I’ve ever met, and I’m constantly being pushed off my comfort zone by the type of challenges and problems we’re solving on a daily basis. It feels like a truly unique place in Gaming created by Gamers.

So, what’s so special about it? Let me try to break it down by sections.

Career opportunities:

Riot Games promotes open feedback culture and the notion of continuous self-development. It feels that you're the sole owner of your success here due to the flat structure and how much freedom each Rioter is given. Everyone is encouraged to share their ideas, provide feedback and challenge the established notions. Though, to be fair, this is harder and harder to do due to the rapid growth of the company. Empowerment is a key word here - everyone is given the opportunity to solve problems and think creatively without being micromanaged. It's very common to hear that we "hire to elevate" so that each new hire always pushes the bar higher, or at the very least this is the genuine intent. As a result, there are many opportunities to learn and get coaching from some of the brightest people in the industry today.

The company facilitates multiple personal development resources to all Rioters (formal training, certifications, assessments, 1on1s, development plans, mentorship opportunities). Every Rioter can sign-up to a training course with the approval from a manager. And so far in my experience, this is highly encouraged.

Compensation & Benefits:

In my experience, the Compensation is according to the market standards. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower depending on the role and the priority that the company puts into certain areas. For example, Engineering is a high priority area for Riot, so it’s reflected in compensation. Other areas in % terms may be closer to a market standard.

Of course, you can’t disconnect compensation from the cost of living. The reality, Riot Central campus is located in Santa Monica - an expensive area, so it’s something to consider when relocating from the outside. I recommend doing a thorough research on rent, transportation routes, and general expenses before committing to a decision to move.

The benefits outside of salary are numerous and include standard things like private health care, dental care, eye care, free food, and snacks but also numerous not so usual benefits such as travel allowance, gaming allowance and gym subsidizing.

But most importantly I feel that the company cares about me as individual and valuing my contribution and provides numerous opportunities to learn and develop my skills. To me, this is the biggest benefit of being part of Riot.

Work / Life balance:

Riot Games is filled with passionate people who deeply care about what they do and feel committed to delivering player value. The company’s culture is very appealing if you’re a gamer and often I found myself volunteering my time because I wanted to get something done. And I know many Rioters do the same even if the company doesn’t technically demand that special commitment from you.

I believe that you own that relationship with the company 100%. After about one year with Riot, I learned how to manage my Work / Life balance better. So, in the end, I think it comes down to the individual to decide how much of that personal time you want to dedicate.

Now, my line of work doesn’t demand weekend work for example. If you’re in Esports or some Live Services functions, it may not be the same. Riot is big now; multiple functions demand different work schedules, overtime, and commitments from Rioters.

Senior Management:

The leadership team is stacked with some of the smartest people I’ve ever met. It’s not uncommon to see legendary game industry veterans walking in the halls of the Central Campus. Now, it goes without saying that Riot isn’t free from politics, as any big organization filled with humans and not robots. That said, I think that the leadership “walks the walk” when it comes to our core values and being laser focused on our audience.

Cons

Growing pains:

It comes without saying that not everything is sunshine and rainbows here. I know that Riot Games isn’t the company for everyone. This culture can be welcoming to many but also very hostile to some. I read some reviews that were saying this is like a boys club. And I can see where those reviewers are coming from. This is the company built by Gamers for Gamers. If you’re not part of the Gaming community, it’s likely you won’t find your place here.

The explosive growth led to some pains that come with it. Our processes, tools, and practices often lack rigor or don’t scale well with a fast-paced and growing organization. This means, tons of growing pains and hard choices that we need to make. But it also means opportunities for people to adapt, change roles and expand the scope are ever more present.

The hiring bar today isn’t what it was 5 or even two years ago. As a result, we have people who only experienced Riot as their first employer or took on areas that they weren’t prepared or had experience in. This led to Rioters taking on responsibilities and challenges they weren’t necessarily ready for or had an adequate support. In some cases, it worked out, but in others, it led to some painful outcomes for the organization and Rioters involved in those situations. I think we’re trying to address this and I noticed that over the last year and a half we increased our focus on hiring Industry superstars without compromising our core values.

- Sarkhan Lyutfaliev

Advice to Management

Make sure you do not surround yourself with the "Yes-Men". Strive to stay connected with the company and the regular Rioters that don't have exposure to the leadership layers. Especially on the Regional level since our offices are now all over the world. As we continue expanding on a global scale, it's important that we preserve our culture not just in the Central Campus but globally.

"Fantastic place for driven people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Working on difficult problems at a large scale
    - Feels like you actually matter here
    - Fully-stocked kitchens and huge cafeteria
    - Fantastic compensation
    - Great PTO policy

Cons

- Everybody wants to do what's right, you need to make the case for your point of view (almost all the time).
    - Riot is pretty big now, starting to see the slowness of a large company.

Advice to Management

Don't stall on promotions or compensation increases for high performers. Annual team performance reviews are basically useless, people won't ask for reviews from those who will be more harsh.

"Bait and Switch"

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open PTO
    Amazing health benefits
    Perks like free food, massages, and activities
    Brilliant coworkers (for the most part)
    Casual workspace
    Nice peripherals
    Low barrier to interacting with the incredible player community

Cons

Riot is a great place for a first job, if you're fresh out of college or an internship. The maturity level of the organization is pretty low, and the campus feels more like a fraternity than a workplace, complete with hazing rituals, a really creepy pressure to have your peers be your main social circle despite having a life outside of work, and sexual harassment galore. For seasoned professionals it's a guaranteed way to take three steps back in your career. I'm all for a chill work space, but there's a difference between understanding that jeans and cuss words don't affect quality of work, and allowing people to get away with playing 35 hours of video games a week at their desks and somehow still claiming to "add value."

The company mantra "default to trust" does not mean people will respect your expertise, it means you're not allowed to be offended when your insight is constantly dismissed and you are relegated to an entry-level workload despite a decade, or more, of experience.

Expect many company mantras to be weaponized in this way, especially if you are a woman. Again with "default to trust" -- it means if you are treated unfairly or poorly, it's YOUR responsibility to accept that the offender "probably didn't mean it" instead of, I dunno, trusting that the person reporting bad behavior probably has the mental capacity to figure out whether someone "meant it" or not?

"Open feedback culture" means you can only give constructive criticism that "feels good." You've got to make the other person feel like a hero for accepting and overcoming whatever shortcoming you're addressing. Unless, of course, that feedback is directed at something that is foundational to Riot as a company. There's an imaginary line you cross when you give feedback on the culture itself. Suddenly you are no longer a culture fit -- because Riot can't possibly be fostering toxic behavior. It is never Riot's fault. Ever. If you don't like something Riot is doing, you don't "get it" and you are the problem. It's honestly the perfect breeding ground for predators.

They won't fire you for this, oh no that would not fit the hip narrative pushed by the Brand team. They'll just tuck you in a corner and make your life so miserable you'll decide to leave yourself. Maybe they'll "strongly suggest" that you consider whether you are "aligned" and that you may be successful elsewhere.

You can get away with anything if you're charming enough to talk your way out of it. Meritocracy? More like Mediocrity. There are SO MANY managers with NO experience managing people. Managers whose teams are floundering because they're so inexperienced, they offer nothing in terms of guidance. Managers who openly admit they shouldn't be managing people. And why do these people stay managers? Because they're friends with the right people. Because they talk in circles. Because, honestly, at this point, firing all the useless managers would look really, really bad. I don't think Riot is ignorant that they've let the most incompetent/manipulative people rise up to lead their company -- I think they realize openly admitting it would be a PR nightmare.

And what would that do to the organization as a whole? HA, that was a joke. There is no organization. Your team will be reorganized every couple months. Your manager will change frequently. Sometimes your manager won't even know they're your manager. Sometimes you'll get a random dude as a manager "because he was bored." Multiple teams will be made to work on the same project and they won't even realize the other exists. Titles may not have anything to do with anything you're working on. Good luck getting that Director-level marketing job at your dream company when, despite multiple decades of work experience and successful campaigns, your resume is questioned because your Riot years have you listed as a mere "media specialist" or some other nonsense.

Riot has some of the most brilliant, passionate minds trapped within its walls. Most of the people are amazing, they're just stuck in a mediocre system that barely keeps itself running. And they're burnt out from carrying the slack of the duds who don't actually do anything special but SWEAR they are visionaries.

Advice to Management

My advice? Let people do the actual jobs you HIRED THEM FOR. Listen to people more experienced than you. Stop trying to reinvent every single wheel--sometimes problems have already been solved! Fire terrible managers. Listen to your regional teams because if you think your campaigns have any kind of universal appeal you are DELUSIONAL. People in Brazil, people in Turkey, people in Ireland don't care about the same things in the same way as Americans do. That's the whole point of regional offices.

Last but certainly not least, stop being in denial about your sexism problem. You're honestly standing at the precipice of an Uber-level fiasco. The lack of self awareness you have about this should be humiliating, to be honest. Women, please come forward with your stories. You shouldn't be relegated to teary-eyed 1on1s, fearing that you're alone (I wish I could accurately express the horror of how many of these I had with various women in just a few years there). They can brush one story under the rug--it's much harder to brush one hundred of them.

Riot Games Response

Aug 15, 2017 – Talent Lead

You shared some troubling feedback and we would welcome the opportunity to ask more detail about your experience at Riot. If you're open to providing more specifics so that we can follow-up with the... More