Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Nicolo Laurent

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I signed up to deal with the massive amounts of data that League of Legends collects" (in 36 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is outstanding" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance requires refocusing on smaller teams" (in 61 reviews)

• "While they catch up, it's created some significant growing pains that come with the territory" (in 31 reviews)

"Overall happy but women aren't treated well here"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Good pay for the video game industry, lots of opportunities to learn and grow, good benefits and lots of nice, well intentioned people.

Cons

Widespread and institutionalized sexism. Poor treatment of mothers and expectant mothers, as well as women in general. This is a company that would rather have a free smoothie bar and a PC cafe where people can slack off during work hours than a daycare center. On a campus of over 1000 people, there is literally one small closet for women to pump breast milk in.

A friend of mine told me recently that HR set up a meeting with her specifically to tell her that because she didn't have a note specifying a medical restriction from her doctor during her pregnancy, that if her performance dropped, she could be fired and would have no legal recourse. This person is clearly very productive and well regarded those she works with. She said it added to her already high level of anxiety about her pregnancy.

In addition to that, all you have to do is look at the ratio of women in leadership positions to realize that there is institutionalized bias against promoting women. This doesn't seem to be improving with time, despite all the lip service management pays toward an effort to have greater diversity in leadership.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your female employees so poorly.

Jun 14, 2018

Hey there,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts here. My name is Alice, I am a Talent Partner at Riot and a mom.

We have a number of benefits that support pregnant and nursing... More

"Definitely An Employer Of Choice"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

First and foremost, there is a distinct and well-defined culture. This company has a great onboarding process – the best I’ve ever experienced. Managers actually honor the process so that Rioters can be focused on learning the ropes, which is really refreshing. It’s also clear that player experience is at the crux of everything Rioters do, and you can see there’s a great sense of pride in that.

Since I joined Riot I’ve had the opportunity to solve really interesting and challenging problems in my craft space, and I’ve been able to take what I’ve learned in my profession and scale it here. And that’s part of the beauty of working at Riot – having room to grow, and the ability to execute on your ideas.

Cons

A level of ambiguity and chaos that comes with an organization that’s going through growing pains which, for some, can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Invest in what’s next for the company, and that includes leveling up your managers. Their impact on culture can be significant, and so it’s important to ensure the leadership body is effective and that they continue to exemplify our values and manifesto.

3. "Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the culture, the product, the perks.

Cons

growing pains starting to show bureaucracy - fear of being a one hit wonder

Advice to Management

calibrate your senior managers they have very different standards and are often not aligned

"Painful"

I worked at Riot Games (More than a year)

Pros

I won't list the highlights because they have already been mentioned and yes, they are good

Cons

Bogged down in unnecessary process. We are to defer to trust but why if we already have a substantial process to get to the end are we questioned relentlessly? There is a ton of wasted time and it was hard to get things accomplished.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk and stop with the un-necessary meetings about meetings.

"Death by a 1000 bad decisions and fear"

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open ended PTO, free lunch, dinner and unlimited snacks/soda/cereal if you work in Santa Monica. Basketball court, tons of gaming areas, well stocked pantries, good coffee shop, and so on. Super passionate co-workers. Benefits are very generous for full-time employees.

Cons

Do you like corporate spin? Welcome aboard, bro!

Do you like dealing with people who can never give you a straight answer about why a terrible decision is being made in the face of overwhelming evidence that it is going to be a disaster?

Do you like working for people who know less about your craft than you do but are in charge for unexplainable reasons? You'll get to experience managers or dev leads who are super at making convincing, Riot-buzzword-laden PowerPoints but have no practical experience in the departments they run.

Do you like having the Riot Manifesto used as a weapon to shut down dissenting opinions? Managers will block real questions about a bad decisions being made with “Well this is what the players want and if you’re so misaligned then maybe you shouldn’t be here.” When their terrible decisions blow up and harm things they'll just shrug and say, “I guess that wasn’t the right call after all.” Zero consequences. Put that on repeat.

Do you like getting reasonable, semi-regular raises? Sorry! Getting a raise is tied to the fear your managers have of pushing for and having to justify it to the same department heads that make all the bad decisions. Riot’s “meritocracy” feels like a way to say “If you stay in the same job you will NEVER get a raise.” Sorry, if you just like doing your job. That’s not enough. Oh, you’re doing more? Sorry, your manager didn’t want to fight for it. You aren't likely to get a raise unless you have a title change. This may work for some departments/roles but it makes no sense to use it across the board.

Like being kept in the loop? Sorry! Riot's inability to communicate internally and get departments to work together is legendary. Want to duplicate work other teams are already doing? You're in the right place!

Want to move from one department at Riot to another (aka Lane Swap)? Good luck! Unless you're a super-ultra-alpha-achiever this is a one-way trip out of the company. I have witnessed people get permission to seek other opportunities in the company from their managers only to have those same managers torpedo their chances in these other departments for political/personal reasons. Even if you do get permission to move, this process will take a minimum of 6 months to a year to actually happen.

Advice to Management

While I was at Riot it ranked top 100 places to work place for 2 years. Not anymore! As time has marched on, Riot has become increasingly corporate and un-fun/unimaginative. So much so that even the simplest creative/spending decision is blocked and dragged through some kind of closed hive mind that rationalizes blocking everything. Don’t get me wrong. Some teams at Riot are still putting out amazing content but God knows how they do it. Good ideas are buried all the time due to budget cuts or last minute changes in direction or just because a manager didn't care enough to listen to anyone outside of their insular, all-knowing cliques.

Speed up hiring. It takes forever to fill roles. Let toxic people go. You know who they are. It doesn't matter if they talk a good Riot-manifesto.

Since I started, Riot was beaten to market over and over again. Stop trying to wait until you're 100% sure a game is going to be another instant "genre defining game". League wasn't even that when it launched. Everyone can smell the fear permeating from the lack of publishing ANYTHING.

6. "Meeting my (very high) Expectations"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Open feedback culture has helped me grow tremendously. I love working with an organization that allows me to be transparent and open about my growth and development. I receive feedback in real time, and while that is jarring at first, I am so thankful and have grown so much.
    - Beautiful campus with excellent on-campus benefits (coffee bar, three meals a day at a fully-subsidized cafe, plenty of outside and community spaces to change the pace of day-to-day work
    - Talented people - this is echoed in a lot of reviews, but it's true. Everyone that works here is brilliant in their own right. Not only that, but everyone is kind, and goes out of their way to be kind.
    - Compensation - I can't speak for everyone, but my comp far exceeded my expectations upon being hired
    - Casual dress code (as long as you're covering what's required by law, you're good!)
    - Work-life balance - I actually have a great work-life balance, but I realize that can vary from team to team

Cons

- Growing pains - Riot has grown a lot in the past five years, and so there is some ambiguity around organization-wide priorities and expectations. As such, ambiguity is everywhere , all the time. Every company says they look for people that thrive in ambiguity, but Riot takes that to a whole new level. Essentially, if you're interviewing here, don't say you can handle ambiguity if it actually makes you uncomfortable, because you will be expected to face ambiguity every single day.
    - Confusion about career growth / pathing across disciplines, which is strange considering Riot boasts a focus on talent and team. People who have been here for a long time and have traversed multiple roles have had to do so with a sort of vagabond, pave your own way mentality.

Advice to Management

Now that we have the brilliant people necessary to carry the company forward at the ground-level, get together and figure out tangible steps that need to be taken to drive forward at an organizational level so that we aren't having to re-invent the wheel every time we're thrown a curveball. Riot has made me a creative problem-solver and a scrappy, resourceful professional as a result of loose regulations (and for that I am thankful), but it doesn't necessarily have to be that way.

7. "ERP Functional Lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vibrant,open minded environment where you can challenge anyone and it will be received with right intent.

Cons

Too many loose ends on people managment

Advice to Management

Have proper tools to better manage the resources without changing the culture.

"I love it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- super intelligent and humble people. don't feel like i have to babysit people or be held accountable for others' incompetence
    - bottom up decision making
    - get to play games at work!
    - direct communication and expectations
    - diversity is sincerely discussed and the company takes definite strides to ensure there's fairness in hiring, promotions, performance evaluations, etc. Diversity of the workforce and attitudes towards creating a positive environment for everyone definitely exceeded my expectations at a game company (or for any industry, really). That being said, as is true of every company -- there's still work to be done
    - excellent benefits (variety of healthcare options, 401k matching, free meals 3x/day, open PTO, game fund...)

I love working at Riot, it's exceeded my expectations in pretty much every way. I knew working at a video game company would probably be fun, but I expected a lot of things to be more immature and short-sighted than how they actually are here. I love that everyone is treated with respect and trust, rather than having intense levels of micromanagement to account for the lowest possible denominator. Culture is super important here, but that means we all have a common thread that binds us together, which is really nice after working at companies where there’s nothing connecting employees besides a paycheck. Personal development is also important, and you have the opportunity to grow and change roles if that's what makes the most sense for you.

Cons

- We’re always changing, and sometimes have to be more reactive than proactive.
    - Bottom up decision making means that sometimes decisions take a while to make as there’s no one person who says ‘this is how we’ll do things’. I actually quite like this, but it can make discussions a little long.
    - Can’t take food home – this is me being spoiled. To-go boxes pls

Advice to Management

Shorten the interview process. I get that you're looking for strong culture fits, but I think that could be done without the call with the final boss

"Discrimination, toxicity, and almost no accountability."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented colleagues. I've had the privilege of working with amazing individuals. Individual contributors are passionate about what they do.

Other perks:
    - Free meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
    - Fully stocked pantries and onsite coffee shop
    - Meditation, fitness, and nap rooms, onsite massages
    - Unlimited PTO, 401k matching

Cons

The manifesto is a lie.

This organization lacks diversity and Riot is not an environment to grow your career in unless you're in a senior role. If you're a male, then chances are you'll be fine, but if you're female, there'll be a bias towards you and your success. The executive team (D20) is an example of this. There are 19 men and one woman.

Riot is full of inexperienced managers who practice managing at the cost of the talent. They preach about focusing on talent and team (a part of the manifesto), but it's nothing more than that. Leadership and management are rarely held accountable for their actions. They don't listen to feedback, specialize in displacing blame on to individual contributors, and focus on demoralizing that person. When a leader owns his mistake, he is viewed as humble and the fanfare begins. When it's someone in a non-leadership or managerial role, he or she is harassed and nit-picked at for days or weeks.

Riot talks a big game but fails to deliver. What they do well is hire top-tier talent into the company, yet they fail to keep them for more than a year or so. Leadership enjoys telling expert craftspeople how to do their job the Riot way, instead of letting them do their jobs. This is why their talent is leaving them for competitors, as Riot has become the land of broken promises.

Advice to Management

Invest in your talent. Instead of letting people leave or letting people go because you don't know how to solve a problem, ask for help.

May 24, 2018

Hi,
    I'm Susannah, a Talent Generalist at Riot.

I wanted you to know that we are listening to your feedback, and as Glassdoor says you're a current employee, I'm going to start by emphasizing... More

"One year and done"

Current Employee - Talent Team Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Team Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Riot is home to some of the most talented, creative and hard working people in gaming. Compensation is competitive, benefits are generous and the campus is lovely.

Cons

--Leadership is lacking across the products from what remains of CG Development to the new game titles being spun up and spun down.

--Talent (Human Resources) and Recruiting are again leaderless after the termination of heads of both areas. Arguably two of the most important teams at Riot; the one responsible for hiring of new talent and the one charged with the care and well being all talent, new and on-going, had their leaders released for gross mismanagement. That says a lot about the challenges Riot is currently facing.

--Diversity is paid lip service. It's far more important that candidates be hard-core gamers than anything else. The bro-culture is real and the club exclusive.

Advice to Management

Recent calls have made it clear you are reading exit interview data and seeing trends in the feedback. Maybe reaching out to those who left over the past year plus and asking if there was anything more they'd wished they'd stated but were afraid to for whatever reason would also be a good idea.

May 24, 2018

Hi,

I'm Susannah, and I'm a Talent Generalist at Riot. It looks like you're a current Rioter but may be leaving? I'm sorry to hear that, if that's the case. Please feel free to set up time with me... More