Riot Games Employee Reviews about "company culture"

Updated May 16, 2020

3.9
Riot Games CEO Nicolo  Laurent (no image)
Nicolo Laurent
Pros
  • "Riot is a great place for gamers(in 79 reviews)

• "Cares about Rioters: Riot has fantastic perks because they want to keep the talent (that's us) happy(in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • "work/life balance can be an issue if you don't know how to handle it(in 67 reviews)

• "I am so glad that I met with other Rioters and asked honest questions to receive honest answers(in 60 reviews)

Reviews about "company culture"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company to work with. Most Excellent Perks"

Former Employee - Facilities in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games part-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing campus with lots of great perks. Great vibe and people.

Cons

Challenging getting ahead (I was a short term contract position though)

Riot Games2020-02-18
  2. "Putting the S in Riot Games"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

People, focus, location of office

Cons

Cost of living, resources spread thin

Riot Games2020-05-12
  3. "basic reiew"

4.0

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

really enthusiastic team mates, ability to thrive if you really want to, great benefits

Cons

can be stuck in decision making processes, career path not so clear

Riot Games2020-04-26
  4. "great"

Former Employee - Night Custodian in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games part-time for more than a year

Pros

really nice people there, thought there would be more side-eye

Cons

dont really have much complaints

Riot Games2020-03-28

"The best career decision I’ve ever made"

Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games

Pros

Riot is a company that deeply honors it’s mission of being the most player focused company in the world. The employees, endearingly called Rioters, are some of the most passionate, brilliant people I’ve ever worked with. I’m in a perpetual state of knowledge gaining and sharing every day that I show up. The authenticity at Riot continues to astound me. Every day I’m encouraged to give and ask for feedback, and to be uniquely myself which is seen as one of my greatest contributions. IMPACT. No matter what group you’re a part of you have tremendous impact of creating the future in gaming and entertainment which is really special. Play. Riot values hard work and commitment just as much as they do play. There are several events throughout the year dedicated to fostering a player’s spirit, and the campus is designed to encourage all forms of play at any time. Benefits and pay are really great. Riot’s compensation structure is unparalleled for the industry and the benefits extend beyond medical/ dental/ vision to really capture unique areas of our personal lives.

Cons

External perception. As a minority (in more than one spectrum) I was cautious about beginning a career at Riot based on some of the articles I read that depicted the culture. I am so glad that I met with other Rioters and asked honest questions to receive honest answers. My experience has negated all of the false narratives that I read about prior to joining Riot. Work/ life balance. More of a personal issue than a Riot issue to be fair. When you’re surrounded by people that are so committed to delivering the next great thing for players it can be tough to unplug for self care.

Riot Games2020-02-29

"Solid place to work, very team dependent, and definitely unique"

4.0
    Current Employee - Writer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Surrounded by some of the most talented and intelligent individuals in tech, art, and creative. - Tons of opportunities to learn and grow. - Really competitive salary (still tough to survive in LA if you're not an engineer, but above the average for creative roles in LA). - Amazing campus with free breakfast, lunch, and dinner; free full coffee bar; PC Bang; VR Room; and more. - Fun events on campus. - Lots of small perks like RP stipend, reimbursement for games every month, wellness, massage discount, on-site massages, free yoga classes, etc. - A unique ability to find and carve out niche roles that really interest you. If you want to do a job, just do it. - Work-life-balance isn't bad depending on what you do. It depends on you, your team, and your job.

Cons

- Happiness is team dependent. If you're on a team with inefficient management, your experience can be really unenjoyable. - Salaries are low if you're not in engineering. Los Angeles is really expensive, and if you're not in tech you can forget ever buying a home or renting super close to the office. - Things take a really long time. - Riot can be an echo chamber. Everything happens in a bubble and it's hard sometimes to be the dissenting voice. - There are people still in positions of power who have harassed individuals, blocked career growth and projects, and created unsafe work environments. - Talent (HR) is ineffective. There have been numerous cases of clear violations that I've witnessed that have gone completely ignored. - Lack of transparency when it comes to career progression, salary bands, and areas for growth.

Riot Games2020-02-19
  7. "Riot Games"

Former Employee - Lighting Artist in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment for collaboration, treat artist really well. Food and drinks provided everyday, as well as other wellness programs.

Cons

Some factions of the company aren't open to new opinions from new artist. Knowledge in certain areas of cg/vfx (depending on department) aren't well thought out before venturing out to do cinematic s.

Riot Games2020-02-19

"Pros and cons of heavy bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

In pockets you can still find really talented passionate and dedicated people

Cons

In response to the corporate controversy, Riot had made some great changes and some terrible ones. Riot's executive leadership now has a sizable group who do not care about players, and have been setting the example that not caring is a perfectly acceptable stance to have. Riot may be the most player focused 3000 person gaming company out there, but we are no longer the most player focused company. And it's not even close. On top of that, Riot has greatly slowed down due to needing Central approval for an embarrassing amount of simple every day tasks.

Riot Games2020-02-03

"Must be in with the department "in" crowd to get ahead"

2.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free food, casual dress, company events/trips.

Cons

Very clicky, department heads were not vetted on their managerial capacity. Some should not manage teams!

Riot Games2020-01-30
  10. "Dream job"

Former Employee - Sourcing Specialist

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, fun projects, amazing workspace

Cons

None at the moment

Riot Games2020-01-07