Riot Games "free food" Reviews | Glassdoor

Riot Games Employee Reviews about "free food"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great company, culture, and perks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, great benefits, fun work, amazing atmosphere

Cons

Large teams that can be a little unorganized

"This is a great place to be in Gaming today"

Current Employee - Localization QA Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Localization QA Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Riot Games is a fantastic company, and I feel privileged to be part of this team. I’m surrounded by some of the brightest people I’ve ever met, and I’m constantly being pushed off my comfort zone by the type of challenges and problems we’re solving on a daily basis. It feels like a truly unique place in Gaming created by Gamers.

So, what’s so special about it? Let me try to break it down by sections.

Career opportunities:

Riot Games promotes open feedback culture and the notion of continuous self-development. It feels that you're the sole owner of your success here due to the flat structure and how much freedom each Rioter is given. Everyone is encouraged to share their ideas, provide feedback and challenge the established notions. Though, to be fair, this is harder and harder to do due to the rapid growth of the company. Empowerment is a key word here - everyone is given the opportunity to solve problems and think creatively without being micromanaged. It's very common to hear that we "hire to elevate" so that each new hire always pushes the bar higher, or at the very least this is the genuine intent. As a result, there are many opportunities to learn and get coaching from some of the brightest people in the industry today.

The company facilitates multiple personal development resources to all Rioters (formal training, certifications, assessments, 1on1s, development plans, mentorship opportunities). Every Rioter can sign-up to a training course with the approval from a manager. And so far in my experience, this is highly encouraged.

Compensation & Benefits:

In my experience, the Compensation is according to the market standards. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower depending on the role and the priority that the company puts into certain areas. For example, Engineering is a high priority area for Riot, so it’s reflected in compensation. Other areas in % terms may be closer to a market standard.

Of course, you can’t disconnect compensation from the cost of living. The reality, Riot Central campus is located in Santa Monica - an expensive area, so it’s something to consider when relocating from the outside. I recommend doing a thorough research on rent, transportation routes, and general expenses before committing to a decision to move.

The benefits outside of salary are numerous and include standard things like private health care, dental care, eye care, free food, and snacks but also numerous not so usual benefits such as travel allowance, gaming allowance and gym subsidizing.

But most importantly I feel that the company cares about me as individual and valuing my contribution and provides numerous opportunities to learn and develop my skills. To me, this is the biggest benefit of being part of Riot.

Work / Life balance:

Riot Games is filled with passionate people who deeply care about what they do and feel committed to delivering player value. The company’s culture is very appealing if you’re a gamer and often I found myself volunteering my time because I wanted to get something done. And I know many Rioters do the same even if the company doesn’t technically demand that special commitment from you.

I believe that you own that relationship with the company 100%. After about one year with Riot, I learned how to manage my Work / Life balance better. So, in the end, I think it comes down to the individual to decide how much of that personal time you want to dedicate.

Now, my line of work doesn’t demand weekend work for example. If you’re in Esports or some Live Services functions, it may not be the same. Riot is big now; multiple functions demand different work schedules, overtime, and commitments from Rioters.

Senior Management:

The leadership team is stacked with some of the smartest people I’ve ever met. It’s not uncommon to see legendary game industry veterans walking in the halls of the Central Campus. Now, it goes without saying that Riot isn’t free from politics, as any big organization filled with humans and not robots. That said, I think that the leadership “walks the walk” when it comes to our core values and being laser focused on our audience.

Cons

Growing pains:

It comes without saying that not everything is sunshine and rainbows here. I know that Riot Games isn’t the company for everyone. This culture can be welcoming to many but also very hostile to some. I read some reviews that were saying this is like a boys club. And I can see where those reviewers are coming from. This is the company built by Gamers for Gamers. If you’re not part of the Gaming community, it’s likely you won’t find your place here.

The explosive growth led to some pains that come with it. Our processes, tools, and practices often lack rigor or don’t scale well with a fast-paced and growing organization. This means, tons of growing pains and hard choices that we need to make. But it also means opportunities for people to adapt, change roles and expand the scope are ever more present.

The hiring bar today isn’t what it was 5 or even two years ago. As a result, we have people who only experienced Riot as their first employer or took on areas that they weren’t prepared or had experience in. This led to Rioters taking on responsibilities and challenges they weren’t necessarily ready for or had an adequate support. In some cases, it worked out, but in others, it led to some painful outcomes for the organization and Rioters involved in those situations. I think we’re trying to address this and I noticed that over the last year and a half we increased our focus on hiring Industry superstars without compromising our core values.

- Sarkhan Lyutfaliev

Advice to Management

Make sure you do not surround yourself with the "Yes-Men". Strive to stay connected with the company and the regular Rioters that don't have exposure to the leadership layers. Especially on the Regional level since our offices are now all over the world. As we continue expanding on a global scale, it's important that we preserve our culture not just in the Central Campus but globally.

"Bait and Switch"

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open PTO
    Amazing health benefits
    Perks like free food, massages, and activities
    Brilliant coworkers (for the most part)
    Casual workspace
    Nice peripherals
    Low barrier to interacting with the incredible player community

Cons

Riot is a great place for a first job, if you're fresh out of college or an internship. The maturity level of the organization is pretty low, and the campus feels more like a fraternity than a workplace, complete with hazing rituals, a really creepy pressure to have your peers be your main social circle despite having a life outside of work, and sexual harassment galore. For seasoned professionals it's a guaranteed way to take three steps back in your career. I'm all for a chill work space, but there's a difference between understanding that jeans and cuss words don't affect quality of work, and allowing people to get away with playing 35 hours of video games a week at their desks and somehow still claiming to "add value."

The company mantra "default to trust" does not mean people will respect your expertise, it means you're not allowed to be offended when your insight is constantly dismissed and you are relegated to an entry-level workload despite a decade, or more, of experience.

Expect many company mantras to be weaponized in this way, especially if you are a woman. Again with "default to trust" -- it means if you are treated unfairly or poorly, it's YOUR responsibility to accept that the offender "probably didn't mean it" instead of, I dunno, trusting that the person reporting bad behavior probably has the mental capacity to figure out whether someone "meant it" or not?

"Open feedback culture" means you can only give constructive criticism that "feels good." You've got to make the other person feel like a hero for accepting and overcoming whatever shortcoming you're addressing. Unless, of course, that feedback is directed at something that is foundational to Riot as a company. There's an imaginary line you cross when you give feedback on the culture itself. Suddenly you are no longer a culture fit -- because Riot can't possibly be fostering toxic behavior. It is never Riot's fault. Ever. If you don't like something Riot is doing, you don't "get it" and you are the problem. It's honestly the perfect breeding ground for predators.

They won't fire you for this, oh no that would not fit the hip narrative pushed by the Brand team. They'll just tuck you in a corner and make your life so miserable you'll decide to leave yourself. Maybe they'll "strongly suggest" that you consider whether you are "aligned" and that you may be successful elsewhere.

You can get away with anything if you're charming enough to talk your way out of it. Meritocracy? More like Mediocrity. There are SO MANY managers with NO experience managing people. Managers whose teams are floundering because they're so inexperienced, they offer nothing in terms of guidance. Managers who openly admit they shouldn't be managing people. And why do these people stay managers? Because they're friends with the right people. Because they talk in circles. Because, honestly, at this point, firing all the useless managers would look really, really bad. I don't think Riot is ignorant that they've let the most incompetent/manipulative people rise up to lead their company -- I think they realize openly admitting it would be a PR nightmare.

And what would that do to the organization as a whole? HA, that was a joke. There is no organization. Your team will be reorganized every couple months. Your manager will change frequently. Sometimes your manager won't even know they're your manager. Sometimes you'll get a random dude as a manager "because he was bored." Multiple teams will be made to work on the same project and they won't even realize the other exists. Titles may not have anything to do with anything you're working on. Good luck getting that Director-level marketing job at your dream company when, despite multiple decades of work experience and successful campaigns, your resume is questioned because your Riot years have you listed as a mere "media specialist" or some other nonsense.

Riot has some of the most brilliant, passionate minds trapped within its walls. Most of the people are amazing, they're just stuck in a mediocre system that barely keeps itself running. And they're burnt out from carrying the slack of the duds who don't actually do anything special but SWEAR they are visionaries.

Advice to Management

My advice? Let people do the actual jobs you HIRED THEM FOR. Listen to people more experienced than you. Stop trying to reinvent every single wheel--sometimes problems have already been solved! Fire terrible managers. Listen to your regional teams because if you think your campaigns have any kind of universal appeal you are DELUSIONAL. People in Brazil, people in Turkey, people in Ireland don't care about the same things in the same way as Americans do. That's the whole point of regional offices.

Last but certainly not least, stop being in denial about your sexism problem. You're honestly standing at the precipice of an Uber-level fiasco. The lack of self awareness you have about this should be humiliating, to be honest. Women, please come forward with your stories. You shouldn't be relegated to teary-eyed 1on1s, fearing that you're alone (I wish I could accurately express the horror of how many of these I had with various women in just a few years there). They can brush one story under the rug--it's much harder to brush one hundred of them.

Riot Games Response

Aug 15, 2017 – Talent Lead

You shared some troubling feedback and we would welcome the opportunity to ask more detail about your experience at Riot. If you're open to providing more specifics so that we can follow-up with the... More

"Over-hyped and Cultish Bubble"

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Good place to learn for those very early on in their career
    Aspirations and goals that can inspire and motivate people
    Free food
    Good friends
    Decent compensation

League of Legends and the gaming community around it has left me with very fond memories and close friendships.

Cons

As with many companies on Glassdoor, the negative reviews cut closer to the truth than the positive ones. Here are excerpts from existing reviews that resonate with my experience:

“Riot hasn't done a great job scaling, and a lot of how it does business comes from tribal customs and values from when the company was a lot smaller. Some of these values get skewed and weaponized in unsavory ways.”

“If you strive for efficiency, this isn’t the place for you. If you get stuck on one of these "wasted" projects, you will be pretty miserable.”

“Leadership is often inexperienced and ineffective. Most senior leaders surround themselves with yes-men only and challenging the wrong leader can effectively end your career at Riot.”

“Definitely the worst experiences of my career. Extremely type A people, some people don't practice what they preach and many of those people are in leadership positions.”

“Due to the seemingly infinite budget and lack of accountability, this company breeds complacency.”

“Employees who don’t agree, or truthfully criticize work are flipping a coin on their job”

“Criticisms can get ignored or reasoned away because of the overwhelming success of the company, and instead Rioters will hear that anyone who disagrees either wasn't a "culture fit" or couldn't "align" with the company or couldn't hack it at Riot. It's hard to gauge how detrimental these factors are, because many Rioters seem happy (or comfortable) with how things are. What sucks is that there's a Riot inside the current company that could be everything it wants to be. It could be kicking down doors and shaking things up, but first it needs to have a serious conversation about some of its problems.”

Advice to Management

I will leave you with the following questions:

How realistic is it to say those leaving Riot voluntarily or are let go were truly never culture fits to begin with? Is it possible other insight can be gained?

What challenges has Riot faced in the past that ended up being truly unique to Riot? How often was this belief untrue? How many problems do you currently believe are truly unique to Riot?

Are terms such as "genre defining" and "brand" causing Rioters ignore practical decisions? How are these (and others) themes impacting short term goals? What about long term?

How often does feedback go directly to the individual it is about? How long does it take to get there? Are they the first one presented this feedback? If not how often is it shared with others and what impact does it have?

Does management consist of active of core gamers? Where is this true and where not? What behaviors and trends can be found?

What is the ratio between supporting functions versus individual contributors on a team, discipline, and organization? What traits do you find as this number shifts from one extreme to another?

"Amazing place without a care in the world"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FREE FOOD: Best cafeteria ever + coffee house + Smoothie bar + stocked kitches. Incredible quality and variety of meals, drinks and snacks.

TALENT: Riot hires the best and brightest people in the industry so every team has some incredible talent.

EMPOWERMENT: The vast majority of Rioters (employees) feel strong ownership of their work and is able to come up with solutions to most of their problems and challenges.

COLLABORATIVE: There is very little hierarchy at Riot. We default to teams work together to tackle challenges over leadership dictating. Managers and Leads push the high level goals but rarely tell people what to do in the micro, tactical space. While gameplay is king, all disciplines are treated as equal game developers.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: No tracked PTO. In most cases, people can take as much or little time as they need off. Crunch is very rare at Riot.

Cons

SLOW: There is almost zero sense of urgency across most of Riot. With the talent and resources this company has, we should be able to deliver 5x the amount of content we do to players. Teams can literally spin forever with little to no accountability or need to deliver.

COMPLACENCY: Due to the seemingly infinite budget and lack of accountability, this company breeds complacency. Lack of necessity kills hunger and we are getting very full.

LACK OF FOCUS: We have too many teams doing too many things with little results. Instead of being the focused deathstar laser that can crush any target, we are firing pea shooters in 100 directions hoping to hit something.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to push for "genre defining". This statement means nothing will ever be good enough because everyone is chasing a moving target. Just focus on giving players good products and we can iterate and update live.

Stop hiring and force real milestones with results. We have very smart and talented people who will come up with amazing solutions when they are forced to prioritize and work without unlimited resources.

Or don't change a thing. Everyone loves working at Riot and the company is incredibly successful. Its a beautiful creativity oasis in the brutal desert of game development. A perfect place to retire.

6. "Translator"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Riot Games as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment free food

Cons

nothing much hard to get in

"Cool Company; Poor Management"

Pros

-Great Perks; free food, great health care, gym discounts, etc.
    -Beautiful Campus
    -Fantastic Game

Cons

-Lots of disorganization
    -Poor leadership
    -Feedback culture ended up feeling more like free for all to be a jerk to coworkers
    -Not a lot of visible female leaders

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros

Riot is a great place to work. The company really takes care of its employees, office is awesome, and there are many awesome perks such as free food and drinks, great equipment, international travel multi times a year, company retreats and more. The culture is also amazing, people are really encouraged to give candid feedback and help you grow and develop as a professional. And of course, if you're a gamer, this is your place to be. Riot live by it's philosophy of being the most player focused company in the world, meaning you have the autonomy to create great things that players will love, and see your work impacting people around the globe.

Cons

Work-life balance is nearly impossible, I'd say. Specially if you're working on some specific areas such as eSports and live shows, you'll be away from home and working around the clock a lot. Rioters working in regions outside the HQ in Los Angeles are seen as second class citizens, which is not nice at all.

Advice to Management

Keep the awesome culture. Let's explore products before it's too late. Make sure to pay attention to regional offices because 1) Culture is misinterpreted or non-existent some times; 2) Regional offices doesn't have strong craft development, so people feel like abandoned; 3) Let's give more opportunities for regional offices to interact and/or work in global projects/initiatives.

9. "Working at Riot Games"

Current Employee - Senior Environment Artist in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Environment Artist in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, relationships, mentorship, encouraging atmosphere, better than industry salary, on-boarding denewbification week, 1:1's, campus, free food, benefits, no one is holding your hand... If you make it to Riot you are the best of the best and are fully responsible for contributing at your highest level, well rounded problems to solve

Cons

Located in Los Angeles, high cost of rentals/houses. High salaries don't necessarily mean that you can afford a decent living situation in Santa Monica.

Advice to Management

The current management is amazing and I've loved working with each manager and director I've interacted with.

"Pretty good."

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. 401k, free food and lunches, they pay for you to buy games, great community.

Cons

CEO playing favorites to employees who agree with whatever he says. Employees who dont agree, or truthfully criticize work are flipping a coin on their job.

Advice to Management

If you are a follower type person and need experience, it's a great place to start. But Riot needs to look at whats really happening at their company.