Riot Games "free food" Reviews | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

Riot Games Employee Reviews about "free food"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Downward Trajectory"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy; People play games during work; Casual environment; Free food

Cons

Extremely poor leadership in most teams. Egos rule all and change happens too sluggishly to warrant the "challenge convention" company motto. Founders recently stepped down from leading the company to.... do nothing? Very unclear what comes next for this company.

Advice to Management

Don't solicit reviews from your employees... what makes you think this is a good idea?

"A downhill slide"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food
    Clear passion throughout the company for the products and players
    Good benefits

Cons

Low competitive compensation
    Abysmal management from the middle up
    The worst HR team you'll ever work with

Riot is struggling to find its place. There are some issues typical of growing pains like poor management and some bloated teams. The real issue is cultural. The bro culture is in full force but has begun to insulate itself in the shadow the #metoo movement. Lots of political maneuvering takes place, especially by low impact persons in power.

There's also nowhere to go with your career at Riot. If you want to move up, you need to wait for someone to vacate a position because there just isn't any new business at Riot. Why? Complete paralysis in decision making.

The current stable of games, the poor state of diversity, the lack of new products and sliding growth come down to paralysis in decision making.

Advice to Management

Hand the keys over to decision makers. You've been in holding patterns for so long that every is now used to walking in circles. Oh, and give your talent team (that's HR for those reading along) a good long look - this team is killing everything they touch.

"Amazing place to work despite some growing pains"

Current Employee - Senior Researcher
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Company genuinely believes and tries to live a player-first mentality (even if not always successful). Impressive that we haven't lost this as we've grown.
    - Despite below complaints, we still find ways to innovate and make LoL a better and better game
    - Vast amount of autonomy in work choice, method
    - Ability to influence product direction
    - Strong discipline management that encourages growth and quality work. Also supports you without micro-managing
    - Benefits are pretty stellar (medical, free food, unlimited PTO, holidays, gym, counseling, and more)
    - Lot of smart freaking people around you and there are tons of opportunities to learn
    - Salary is competitive

Cons

- In general, we're feeling the pain of transitioning from a small company that explosively grew into a larger one. We're not sure what processes work and we've been slow to catch up to our own success.
    - Company leadership is struggling to find it's path. This is changing, but generally speaking there isn't a ton of real direction provided by them and their roles/responsibilities are unclear
    - Development is just too slow. Despite motto around staying hungry, I think we've lost site of what that means in an environment where it seems like we have all the time/money in the world
    - R&D is still figuring out how to be good at what it does. Too slow, too lax.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership needs to be more specific and current with its direction and strategy. Many wishy-washy terms that need clearer definition, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of awareness of how the current market is shaping up/what the opportunities are.

"Amazing People With No Direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Talented and smart people
    You're given direction and ownership with little oversight
    Lots of perks: unlimited PTO, free food, great campus
    Very player focused: employees are encouraged to talk to and interact with players
    Great feedback culture

Cons

Vague/unclear direction and strategy coming from above
    Leaders are not held accountable for mistakes unless they're public
    Leaders are not rewarded for successes
    Biases run rampant when gauging employee performance
    No growth opportunities or training for leaders
    Discipline health is inconsistent, leadership disciplines are especially volatile and don't prioritize investing in their reports.

Advice to Management

Figure out an actual strategy for the company, becoming a multi-game studio is not a strategy
    Invest heavily in your leaders. Grow them and make them stronger. They will carry your company, not you.
    Figure out how to incubate and support innovation, stop growing for the sake of growing.
    Invest in doing more with who you have and stop hiring as much.
    Ship a game, ship lots of games, don't be afraid to fail.

5. "Fun place to work, smart teams, challenging environment"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Benefits
    - Free food
    - You can play games during working hours (don’t abuse of this awesome perk)
    - Smart people
    - If you’re a true gamer, you will have tons of fun and make great friends at work
    - Unlimited PTO
    - Open feedback. This might be harsh for some people (in that case you probably won’t fit into Riot) but it really helps with personal and professional growth, plus issues between coworkers are easily solved due to open communication culture
    - You can accept your mistakes with no fear of repercussion. Riot doesn’t want you to be perfect, it teaches you (at least I’ve learned this) to accept your mistakes and learn from them. You develop and get better at being self aware and this helps you grow personally and professionally.
    - Awesome campus

Cons

- Boys club. There are few to no women in leadership positions in most of the teams. Even though you work hard, when it comes to filling leadership roles, the company will rather bring a guy from outside than giving the position to a woman and help her grow inside the company and they’ll give you reasoning that doesn’t make sense.
    - Many Rioters play too much (5-6 hours a day) during working hours and if you need them for some urgent stuff they might not be available since they just started a game or you have to chase them down to get back to you for important matters but they put playing as a priority over getting work done.
    - The manifesto is sometimes weaponized in order for some people to do what they want.
    - Hiring process can most times be too stressful for candidates and in some cases cruel.
    - Underperformers get too many opportunities to improve. Decision making on letting someone that is not performing go might not happen at all.
    - Sometimes projects take a long time to happen since many people have to give an opinion and there are no strict timelines on making things happen.

Advice to Management

- Take play seriously but employees should take work seriously as well.
    - Help women grow (focus on all the talent and team).
    - Let underperformers go. This company needs hard workers to deliver great player experiences and people who don’t appreciate what Riot offers should not be here.
    - Keep strengthening the culture. I really think the conception of the manifesto is great but as the company continues to grow it’s hard for everyone to understand it and live by it.
    - Keep nurturing and making a League even more awesome.

6. "Amazing company, but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture: When Riot speaks about putting player experience first, it's no joke. There are never conversations around "How do we make the most money?". The Riot Manifesto is actually embodied at the company and not just thrown on the website to lure people in.

Tech Challenges: Not many companies have the kind of scale that Riot deals with. The engineering challenges presented are difficult but fun to work on.

Flexible Schedule: Healthy work-life balance makes it easy to fit in things like doctor's appointments, or to shift your work hours so you can try to avoid traffic.

Benefits: Free food. Video games time during the day.

Cons

Los Angeles: Living here isn't cheap, and the traffic is honestly the worst I've ever experienced in my life. Living closer to the office tends to be much more expensive.

Hiring: Hiring is SLOW. Part of the reason for this is that there is an extremely high bar for what makes a Rioter, but it can be frustrating on both ends. Internally when you're on a team, it can be hard to get the people you need, and externally it's frustrating when each stage of the process takes a while. This IS getting better, but it's still far from perfect.

Immature talent: Not everyone wants to work at a video game company, and a large portion of Riot's talent pool are fresh graduates. While many are great, there are also a non-trivial number who stretch "work-life balance" too far. There is a joke of "Riot Time", where people routinely show up to meetings 5 minutes late. If you're used to a more structured and organized company, this can be somewhat tilting. While Riot values feedback culture, there isn't much whip-cracking.

Growing pains: Flat organizational structure doesn't work well when you start to hit 3k people. As the company shifts to having more hierarchy there are definitely pains, but it's overall a positive direction for the company.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on the growing pains, and don't allow bad actors to spoil the work environment for those who want to hit deadlines.

7. "One of the best companies in the industry!"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Riot Games as a contractor

Pros

Great working atmosphere, amazing people, chance to work with the best of the best in the industry. A lot of benefits: free food, subsidized snacks, massages, a lot of internal events, themed gatherings and goodies. Culture is something really special in Riot. Diversity is celebrated and encouraged. Every vote matters and people are appreciated because of their contributions.

Cons

No cons from my perspective.

Advice to Management

Decision making is a bit slow, especially in a higher management, but nothing too serious.

Feel free to speed up the hiring process a bit.

"Great place to work"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Riot Games as a contractor

Pros

Passionate people. Free food. Strong culture. Great location.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

"relaxed environment"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

- great L.A. campus
    - free food, snacks, etc
    - unlimited PTO and great benefits
    - smart and passionate people

Cons

- over-hyped 'we are the best' culture
    - people are burned out and don't acknowledge or realize it
    - if you don't make at least 150k+ base as a family you will be poverty level at that location and live in the ghetto parts of Los Angeles
    - good weather and food in L.A. but everything else will drive you nuts
    - a lot of snowflakes triggered by bro culture

Advice to Management

hire some mature leaders, character is important

"Dont ruin your career options by working here"

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks, I guess. There are some pretty nice ones, free food, great campus, fitness classes.

Cons

If you want to grow or improve, this is not the place to be. I spent the first six months on a team with the lead as my "manager" to find out that he never saw himself as my manager and that my official manager had forgotten I was there. Apparently this isn't unusual. Own your own career sounds great but is an excuse to not train managers who have no idea how to mentor or direct. It's extremely political. Some teams are better with the sexist comments that have been published here, most are very accurate. It's not really about culture fit or not, if someone is making extremely derogatory statements toward a gender in a public setting, it's sexism, not a culture fit issue. Post working here, most conpanies you apply to laugh or just have concerns about you because of your time at Riot. I got calls, but only because I have other experience. When asked about my time at Riot, the other companies clearly see Riot as a joke--and it's not hard to see why after you see the lack of output, commitment to players, and planning and execution of actually delivering content is extremely poor. If you try to improve it, you will get nowhere and eventually executed because you're stepping on "important people's babies".

Advice to Management

Leadership is hiring people to do nothing, not training or helping people, and then firing them because they can't find a direction or meaningful work to do. Stop wasting your time and money and take a better look at the leadership who is firing the people that are actually trying to make Riot a better place.