Riot Games "league of legends" Reviews | Glassdoor

Riot Games Employee Reviews about "league of legends"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Dream Game Company; leadership needs to set the future direction"

Current Employee - Researcher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Researcher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People - Some of the brightest, most talented people in tech & entertainment. Coworkers will be gamers who are passionate and who want to make the best experience for gamers.

Games & Products - Riot provides opportunities to work on some of the best products and services in the industry, from League of Legends, Esports, and numerous R&D projects (putting the "s" in "Riot Games").
    Perks - Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served free at the Noms cafeteria. There's also an amazing coffee shop, snack-loaded kitchens, and friendly support staff.

Cons

Lack of Hierarchy - The flat structure of Riot may have worked when it was smaller, but as it's grown it hasn't developed the necessary management and hierarchical structures to manage the growth and keep the companies mission(s) focused.

Leadership is Opaque - The leadership at Riot is rarely transparent, and there's generally a lot of secrecy and hush-hush surrounding strategic goals of the company as well as R&D projects. Some recent shifts seem to be improving transparency at the company however.

Advice to Management

Leadership at Riot needs to (1) address the heirarchical and accountability structures (or lack thereof) at the company, (2) be more transparent about the company's broad strategic goals, and (3) update the "Riot Manifesto" and refresh our commitment to delivering resonate experiences for gamers.

2. "Gamer + player focused; attempting to mature"

Current Employee - Engineering in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Truly player focused. Revenue is not the basis of decisions and often isn't even part of the discussion.
    - Gamer culture. Gaming is part of everyday life at Riot, and not just League of Legends. Employees are encouraged to experience gaming across different genre and formats.
    - Feedback + mentoring + big challenges = explosive personal growth. You will be forced out of your comfort zone and there is a net to catch you when you stumble.

Cons

- League of Legends growth curve created tech, people, and organizational debt. Tribal knowledge and immature processes and systems make it hard to onboard, slow to modernize, and individuals that are single sources of knowledge.
    - Struggling to scale horizontally (new products) and vertically (not requiring active participation by executives in daily company operations).
    - Business core hours, particularly in LA, favor the young or single.

Advice to Management

Slow down for future acceleration; ease up on current product aspirations and reinforce the company foundations.

"Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Smart, talented and professional colleagues. I work on a team at Riot where every single person is smart, talented and professional. I find that most Rioters I interact with outside of my team also possess these qualities.

2. Big impact. I get constant satisfaction knowing that our collective work impacts the 100 million+ people that play League of Legends each month. That's a lot of joy to bring to the world.

3. Work/life balance. Riot has an amazing work/life balance. I feel so lucky.

4. Compensation. Speaking for my job anyway, compensation is top of the market.

5. Senior leadership. I usually agree with our senior leadership. When I don't agree, I feel comfortable expressing my disagreement without fear of reprisal. I also have confidence that they will take us in the right direction.

6. Company culture. Riot is a great place for gamers. It has a focus on hiring gamers and always thinks about putting the player experience first. As a hardcore gamer, I really appreciate this and find that it adds additional meaning to my work.

Cons

1. Lack of future leadership identification/growth program. Riot doesn't yet have a program or process for identifying future leaders and ensuring their growth and development within the company. As a result, Riot risks losing top talent that cannot find ways to grow beyond their current role.

2. Lack of accountability. Too many Rioters aren't held accountable for poor decision-making. While this may be about to change, it hasn't yet.

3. Not enough sense of urgency/hunger. Perhaps this comes from lots of Rioters making truckloads of money when Tencent bought the company, but whatever it is, it feels like there is too much complacency.

4. Some Rioters lack a sense of appreciation. Some Rioters, particularly those who have never worked a "real job," do not seem to appreciate what Riot offers them. Most jobs do not offer free lunch and dinner, allow you to play games at work, unlimited free specialty coffee drinks, basketball court on campus, etc., and some Rioters really take these things for granted rather than treating them as privileges that should not be abused.

Advice to Management

It's truly an exciting time to work at Riot. The new management team has talked about changes that will happen in 2018. They all sound great. Go make them happen.

"Over-hyped and Cultish Bubble"

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Good place to learn for those very early on in their career
    Aspirations and goals that can inspire and motivate people
    Free food
    Good friends
    Decent compensation

League of Legends and the gaming community around it has left me with very fond memories and close friendships.

Cons

As with many companies on Glassdoor, the negative reviews cut closer to the truth than the positive ones. Here are excerpts from existing reviews that resonate with my experience:

“Riot hasn't done a great job scaling, and a lot of how it does business comes from tribal customs and values from when the company was a lot smaller. Some of these values get skewed and weaponized in unsavory ways.”

“If you strive for efficiency, this isn’t the place for you. If you get stuck on one of these "wasted" projects, you will be pretty miserable.”

“Leadership is often inexperienced and ineffective. Most senior leaders surround themselves with yes-men only and challenging the wrong leader can effectively end your career at Riot.”

“Definitely the worst experiences of my career. Extremely type A people, some people don't practice what they preach and many of those people are in leadership positions.”

“Due to the seemingly infinite budget and lack of accountability, this company breeds complacency.”

“Employees who don’t agree, or truthfully criticize work are flipping a coin on their job”

“Criticisms can get ignored or reasoned away because of the overwhelming success of the company, and instead Rioters will hear that anyone who disagrees either wasn't a "culture fit" or couldn't "align" with the company or couldn't hack it at Riot. It's hard to gauge how detrimental these factors are, because many Rioters seem happy (or comfortable) with how things are. What sucks is that there's a Riot inside the current company that could be everything it wants to be. It could be kicking down doors and shaking things up, but first it needs to have a serious conversation about some of its problems.”

Advice to Management

I will leave you with the following questions:

How realistic is it to say those leaving Riot voluntarily or are let go were truly never culture fits to begin with? Is it possible other insight can be gained?

What challenges has Riot faced in the past that ended up being truly unique to Riot? How often was this belief untrue? How many problems do you currently believe are truly unique to Riot?

Are terms such as "genre defining" and "brand" causing Rioters ignore practical decisions? How are these (and others) themes impacting short term goals? What about long term?

How often does feedback go directly to the individual it is about? How long does it take to get there? Are they the first one presented this feedback? If not how often is it shared with others and what impact does it have?

Does management consist of active of core gamers? Where is this true and where not? What behaviors and trends can be found?

What is the ratio between supporting functions versus individual contributors on a team, discipline, and organization? What traits do you find as this number shifts from one extreme to another?

5. "Great place for everyone, close to perfect for some"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

There are tons of benefits. In my first week I had a 1-hour presentation about all that Riot offers beyond the norm. Rioters really are treated incredibly well.

There is a lot of autonomy and if you have solid reasoning you can do pretty much anything you can imagine as hierarchies are flat and leaders listen and can be convinced by solid rationale - even if they may disagree initially.

Where Riot exceeds every other company on the planet is the following:
    This is the perfect place to work if you are a gamer.
    You are encouraged to play games in the office, you will always have somebody to chat with about latest gaming trends and if you love League of Legends there is no better place to be.

Cons

The onboarding is a very unique experience, that tends to drop you into the cold water after the initial procedures. Rioters are, generally speaking, highly self-driven which compensates for this, but we can get greater results early on if we give them a general direction in which to drive.

On a seperate topic, I have experienced from a friend and co-worker that people who are not as gaming-affine can sometimes feel left out.

Lastly everyone should be aware that the hiring process tends to be very long due to the strong focus on cultural alignment and hence an incredibly high amount of interviews.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on strong cultural alignment and keep up the drive to solve existing problems as we go.
    We still have a long way ahead of us and it will remain crucial to be self-aware and improve on our journey.
    Last but not least greater visibility regarding future goals & vision would be highly appreciated.

6. "Challenging but rewarding"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Riot Games (Less than a year)

Pros

I have to thank Riot Oceania for giving me one of the best opportunities I've ever had to advance my career and achieve my goals. I was a pretty scruffy candidate, all things considered, but they chose to believe in my potential nonetheless. They take their recruitment very, very seriously -- every single word on the website about their culture and values is 100% true. I really appreciated the honesty from the interviewers and recruiters at every stage of the process. It didn't feel like "are you good enough to tick these boxes", but rather "are you the right person for us, and are we the right company for you".

The work is so rewarding at Riot. As a League of Legends player of seven years, I really felt like every single thing I shipped added value to the game and to Oceanic players. People talk about Riot OCE as an Australian arm of the company, and I think that's a pretty good way to sum it up. The office banter is great, most people there are gamers like you (hopefully you're a gamer or I'd think hard about whether you really want to work for a games company!), and feedback is always welcome and available.

You'll also have a lot of opportunities to pick up other skills while at Riot. Although Rioters can come off as a little irreverent about including you in their own projects, you can relax knowing that they're always coming from the right place -- they believe you can add value, and they're really happy to work with you.

The office is awesome. I drank more orange juice and consumed more Shin Ramyun in my time at Riot than the rest of my life put together. Being able to play games at work is a neat bonus that actually helps you do your job better too (although I limited my Dota 2 time to after hours...).

Cons

I can't speak for others, but for my position, there really wasn't much in the way of work/life balance. Ultimately that's why I decided to leave. But retrospectively, I think it was only this way because I was so committed to Riot's mission that I gave too much of myself to it. Riot do their best (within reason) to get you to your important family events, soccer games, church, whatever, but sometimes the nature of the job just doesn't allow for it.

The training could be better. I came in with a bit of a lopsided statsheet, and it took me ages to get up to scratch with the other aspects of the job that I wasn't experienced in. It was partly on me because I didn't ask for enough help, but I still feel that I was underequipped for my first few months.

It can be frustrating working for a regional office like Sydney, too. You join Riot wanting to be a hero for the players, but once you learn about and understand all the things that are holding Riot back from getting stuff out the door, you feel awful whenever you see a player asking for something that you personally can't deliver on (without sacrificing your personal time).

Advice to Management

Gave all the advice in my exit interview, but keep at it and stay true to Riot values.

7. "Best work place for gamers"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a gamer who take play seriously, Riot is the best place to work.
    The manifesto is not empty words at all, it is practiced in Riot.
    League of legends, the game title of Riot is still popular.

Cons

If you are not a gamer, it would be hard for you to adapt to the culture. Misson-driven, culture-driven company.

Advice to Management

Keep your great work!

"You can make a difference"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I signed up to deal with the massive amounts of data that League of Legends collects. So if you are a data nerd you will appreciate:
    - volume and diversity of data
    - access to state of the art tools related to data crunching and analysis
    - the high value placed on how to turn data into a better experience for players

General pros include
    - relaxed and friendly atmosphere
    - amazing potential for growth in all areas (profession, management, etc)
    - every level of Riot is keen to make both the player experience and employee experience better, and it's genuine.

Cons

- LA traffic is terrible.
    - High bar for culture fit is a good thing, but ultimately means sometimes there is more work to do than people available to do it.
    - Slightly family unfriendly (some meetings are scheduled between 5 and 7 pm, which conflicts with your kids schedule). Riot is getting better at this however.

Advice to Management

The emphasis on meetings (lots of them) should be better balanced with time needed to get work done. I have seen a few examples of 'too much talk, not enough action'. Awareness is generally there, but stay vigilant!

"Terrible Management - No Opportunity - Dreams Destroyed"

Pros

League of Legends is a cool product to work on

Cons

Rampant bullying and harassment:

- Bullies hired and kept on teams, and allowed to harass good talented workers constantly, causing turnover and lost careers

- Harassment denied and blamed on the victim because the manager is also a bully

- Very low morale and trust levels that destroys learning, communication and teamwork because of toxic work environment caused by harassment, immaturity and disrespect

- Bad team players (bullies) being unfairly favored and good talented respectful team players being disrespected, unappreciated and left out

- A system that breeds "Bully" mentality. To survive is to become a bully or leave.

Extremely unfair favoritism & egos:

- Only a select few spoiled people with huge egos get clout or respect for their achievements

- Most very talented experienced high achieving workers constantly get overlooked and ignored for their hard work and achievements, even when they do better than the "favorite people"

- Unfair favoritism causing ignored people to overwork themselves for a false assumption that they can be appreciated for their achievements like the "favorite people". It never happens, even when they have done better than the "favorite people"

- Favored spoiled egotistical workers forcing their way on the rest of the team, stifling the other talented workers, and harming final products and team morale because of their ego

Very bad management:

- Inexperienced, immature, lazy managers that blame their team when they, the manager, won't even manage or train the team

- Managers that expect the team to manage itself even when the manager has not trained them to have the skills to do so

- Managers that have poor communication and are very disorganized

- Managers that are not flexible, do not listen to the workers, and have big egos

- Managers that are condescending and micromanaging of their workers, and do not listen to or utilize the experience, talent and knowledge of the workers.

- Managers that ruin the morale of the team, because they are bad with people and do not know how to encourage and empower their workers. They instead make workers feel worthless and like they are never good enough.

- Managers that promote unfair favoritism and unrealistic expectations on the team

- Managers that are not team players

Overdone, immature, clique-like, cult-like culture that kills good talented workers:

- The overbearing culture causes the workers to not be free to be themselves or even human, forcing unrealistic conformity, stifles personal identity, and brainwashes the workers (you are just a number who is undeserving)

- If you don't perfectly conform to the immature, clique-like, cult-like group, then you will quickly be left out and unappreciated for your hard work, talent and achievements, and even worse, struggle to keep your job

- Individuality is discouraged, and human needs like appreciation, encouragement, and being listened to, is close to non-existent

No real opportunities:

- Constant overworking and extreme effort to over achieve, only to earn little to nothing in the form of promotions or clout over a long period of time, while other "favorite people" constantly get more and more promotions and clout

- Managers giving unclear guidelines for career development and changing guidelines randomly

Unequal treatment of women:

- Women are very outnumbered on all teams, and their unique and needed opinions are constantly overlooked because there are too many males and male opinions

- Over a long period of time, the female worker is prone to feel like she has to be like a male to fit in and achieve

- Women remain misunderstood and unappreciated because there are not enough of them

- Riot swag and gifts are often tailored for males, making them useless for women

- There is no real equal opportunity help for minority groups like women at riot, other than Riot Dames (but it doesn't help very much)

Extremely disorganized:

- a completely disorganized and overdone product feedback system that waists time and energy, exhausts, discourages and over stresses the workers and ruins the products

- no cubicles or walls between desks. The open floor plan causes even more stress, disorganization, and lack of productivity

- extreme disorganization causing never ending problems that cause more problems, and nothing is ever solved

- no real style guides or goals for products, causing random changing opinions to ruin products and frustrate teams

- excessive competition caused by lack of organization that causes constant instability and stress

Extremely unhealthy levels of Stress:

- Overbearing culture, feedback system, bullying, unrealistic expectations and disorganization cause excruciating levels of stress, that overflows to the weekends and after work

- Excessive overworking of new workers, causing extensive overtime for months, causing physical fatigue, sickness and extreme lack of sleep over long periods of time

- Constant lack of appreciation of talented hard workers causing them to over-stress over unrealistic expectations and unattainable goals

- Job causing extreme anxiety, stress and depression at almost all times

Advice to Management

- Organize the company, the teams, and organize and simplify the feedback system

- Hire only very experienced management that is very good with people

- Stop the unfair favoritism

- End the overbearing culture and allow the workers to be human

- Stop the immaturity

- Stop tolerating bullies and harassment

- Help women to be treated equal on all teams

- Learn to understand artists and work with their unique needs

- Stop firing the wrong people and keeping the wrong people

Riot Games Response

Nov 13, 2015 – Talent Partner

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, though it's troubling to hear this feedback and not an experience we would want anyone at Riot to have. I hope you would be open to sharing any specifics with me... More

10. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Perks are incredible and competitive with top tech companies- Free housing, free (amazing) food on weekdays, work culture is laid back but still progress-driven, a huge multitude of League of Legends related perks, and activities on weekends for interns. Small intern class means that it's hard to feel lost/unimportant, and interns get close to each other. Full-time workers are incredibly friendly and helpful. Freedom to fail is given!
    Also, Brandon Beck is awesome and one of the friendliest/most welcoming people ever.

Cons

The intern experience can vary vastly depending on the position/department they are working in. Another department with multiple interns had several events for their interns and internal department-bonding events, but I didn't experience a lot of these things as the only intern in my department.

Advice to Management

Sync up with other intern managers and make sure that your interns aren't missing out on some of the perks/opportunities that others are getting!