Riot Games "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

Riot Games Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Jekyll and Hyde"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

- Passionate people
    - Company for gamers
    - Benefits/Food are unparalleled
    - Lots of opportunities to develop if you are right out of college

Cons

- The illusion of a “flat structure” needs to stop. The company does not operate in a flat structure. It just doesn't so please stop saying it does. Accountability is a big issue at the company, recognition for hard work goes unnoticed and the wrong people end up getting scapegoated because of this illusion.

- Leadership is not unified on the goals of the company and everyone is acting in their own interests. Efforts are scattered and an alarming amount of waste in resources and energy happens across the company on a daily bases. This is why so many people are complaining about long hours and difficulty in work/life balance even though the company is bloated with too many employees. You don't need more employees, you need better leaders that lead by example.

- Communication is poor and duplicate efforts with leaders that are at odds with each other can be found across the organization. There is little transparency and many decisions without explanation or well thought out plans for how to fully implement them are made.

- Subversive bullying is reinforced. Women, transgender and introverted Rioters get the brunt of this behavior and are frequently bullied by loud stereotypical alpha personalities. When the outliers complain or seek assistance in a difficult situation they are dismissed by leadership as not having what it takes to be a Rioter because they are not fixing the problem themselves.

Advice to Management

My rating for Riot sits on the low end for places to work because of how extreme and volatile of a place it is to work. Any place that is this extreme is not healthy. The majority of employees at Riot are great people the problem is coming from your day to day leads. The nepotism is destroying your culture and leads are overwhelmingly unqualified and arrogant. Audit your leaders and make true accountability a priority.

Riot Games Response

Nov 1, 2016

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I'm Alice Reeb from the Talent Partner team at Riot and our work is focused on making Riot a safe and productive workplace for all Rioters. Your statements regarding... More

"Self-Aware and Progressive"

Current Employee - Live Data Analyst in West Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Live Data Analyst in West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits - health, vision, dental, gym subsidy, etc
    LA Campus has fully stocked food
    Open office layout
    Serious focus on personal growth, but needs to be self-driven
    Decentralized product style
    Flexible work hours
    Freedom of technology - choose the stack that makes the best sense
    Clubs and other non-work activities
    Vidya gaems ftw
    LA campus is beautiful
    LA campus has parking deck
    Very pleasant coworkers
    Very protective of company culture
    Expected to be friends with coworkers

Cons

Open office layout
    Decentralized product style
    Flexible work hours - long hours will happen, but if you get called for an issue at 4am, you won't be expected until late the next day
    Sometimes too lenient
    Grew very fast and is experiencing growing pains
    Very protective of company culture
    I sometimes worry that perfect is the enemy of good
    Variable speed in product spaces - some move fast, some move painfully slow
    Communication issues occur -- both too much and too little communication; result of growing pains
    Hiring is slow due to culture requirements
    Expected to be friends with coworkers

Advice to Management

Be more willing to publicly experiment. Client Alpha is a great example. Do more of that.
    Speed up the hiring process.
    More automation. MOAR

"Rare workplace opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games (Less than a year)

Pros

Riot Games is a weird and awesome place to work. They strive to level up their employees are and offer interesting opportunities to learn new skills. There are so many projects happening at Riot that it is hard to stagnate and feel bored with your workload. There is an open PTO policy, a fantastic cafeteria, great workspaces, competitive pay, health benefits, and so many more perks.

Cons

This is NOT the place to come if you have a family. Not only is Los Angeles extremely expensive (throw away all dreams of being a homeowner) and not very kid friendly, but Riot does very little in terms of benefits or work schedules to help out parents. Most of the people working here are quite young and don't relate to the needs of someone responsible for a child. Finding childcare in LA is a nightmare and Riot offers no support or advice. The long work hours and expectation to always be at the office also doesn't jive well with a family homelife. Most people here tend to work a 10am - 7/8pm shift and it is hard to communicate why these long hours coupled with an hour commute to the family friendly suburbs are a huge problem for Rioters with families. Overall, working at Riot is AMAZING (unless you have children).

Advice to Management

Please consider benefits or support tools for parents.

"A Mixed Review"

Former Employee - UAT Manager
    Former Employee - UAT Manager

I worked at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, incredible experiences to work on tech, attend tech related events, fun way to grow your skills

Cons

Long hours, extremely underpaid, revolving door of employees. the 'weird doll' room meant someone was getting fired and it happened frequently since they pull talent in from many different states. Wages in testing field cannot support housing, crappy traffic if you dont live nearby

Advice to Management

Bring your pay up to tech standards

"Lies, Lies and More Lies"

Former Contractor - Web Developer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Contractor - Web Developer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are a League of Legends fan and want to devote every waking moment to the company that makes it, Riot is the place for you. Free meals! Free trips to the movies! Free company vacations! And the chance to work on the game! All day! Every day! Until you beg your corporate masters to release you for a few precious hours of sleep! (God please just let me sleep!) Oh right, there are nap couches for that so you never have to leave!

Cons

The company's hiring practices are vile in the extreme, designed to dupe interested employees into a few months of low-wage work in exchange for... nothing.
    I was hired under a six-month contract along with a larger number of other people. I did so under the repeated assurance that 1) I would be hired full-time as soon as the six months were up; 2) I was expected to work a 40-50 hour week, barring the occasional crunch time (written into my contract); 3) that serious benefits, including health care and stock options, were a standard part of the deal.
    Each and every one of these was a straight-up lie, delivered with a serious face by multiple members of the management team. My fellow hire-ees slowly disappeared over the first few months: let go for "not being team players." I was repeatedly told that my work was terrific and that I shouldn't worry about a thing... until there were six weeks to go in my contract. Then suddenly I was informed that my work was NOT up to snuff, that I would need to put in 100-hour weeks if I wanted to keep my position, that I needed to curry friendships with 200-300 fellow employees to be considered a "team player," and that the 10-12 hour days I had been working (plus 90 minute commutes each way) were way below par. I was cut a couple of weeks after that.
    The duplicity of it all was appalling. I don't mind being told that I would need to work long hours, devote my entire life to the company and basically eat, sleep and breathe in the office. I DO mind being sold an elaborate deception about healthy work-life balance and contract work just being a "formality" in order to get a few months of cheap labor out of me followed by an ignominious dumping out the door. Judging by the turnover ratio of other contract workers, this is standard practice: hire a bunch of people to a short-term contract, squeeze all the work out of them you can, then drop them without fulfilling any of the promises made to get them hired in the first place. Cherry pick the ones you absolutely love for full-time work and throw the rest out. In a dead economy after other opportunities have long since passed by.
    If you're hired full time -- with salary and benefits -- the job may be worthwhile. If you get a work-for-hire contract and a lot of empty promises, you'd better have a back-up plan in mind because you'll be back on the street in a few months.

Advice to Management

Adopt some honest hiring practices. Don't lie to people who want to come work for you just so you can exploit them. Clean up your shabby interview process, determine what needs you have, and approach qualified personnel honestly instead of the two-faced carnival hustle you seem to think is perfectly all right. It's dishonest, it's disingenuous and it's sleazy. A game this successful deserves a company that treats its hires like more than disposable garbage.

"Fast-paced and Fun"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Everyone really believes in the product and are passionate about what they do. Smart people, most of whom are down to earth (not too many egos) and Riot does well in keeping their employees happy. If you enjoy constantly being challenged, growing as a person, a fast-paced environment and learning, you'll get all of that here.

Cons

TONS of work which makes for regular long hours ... doesn't always feel like a "con", but might not work for all people.

Advice to Management

Seem to be fooled by poor leaders. You guys are too smart for that. Pay attention.

Riot Games Response

Jul 23, 2014 – Director of Communications

Hi --

Thanks a bunch for the review. Glassdoor is a great way for candidates to get an accurate sense of what it's like to work at Riot, and so a diversity of voices on here is great... More

"Player Focused - It Works!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at several game studios over the past decade and can say, without hesitation, Riot is the best company I've ever been a part of.

+ Marc and Brandon (the founders) are legitimate gamers and great leaders that genuinely care about the experiences Riot delivers to players. This trickles down throughout the organization.
    + Riot is a business, but the strategy is "deliver awesome and the players will reward us" instead of "figure out how to squeeze every last dime out them"
    + There's a healthy balance of affording teams autonomy while keeping them in sync with organizational efforts.
    + Tremendous career growth opportunities for individuals, both horizontally and vertically.
    + Great compensation, benefits, and perks, and a support staff that continuously strives to make them even better.

Cons

- Explosive growth over the last few years has led to some growing pains related to communication, culture, and facilities. Fortunately the company is pretty good at identifying and tackling these issues.
    - Mandated crunch is rare, but there is definitely a culture of voluntary long hours.
    - Development tools, especially for content creators, are simply not a high priority.
    - The cost of living in Santa Monica / West LA is ludicrous.

"not bad"

Pros

-good environment compared to other gaming companies
    -lots of gaming perks
    -learn about other departments and their work

Cons

-long hours
    -pay isn't where it can be
    -the usual office politics can be annoying and difficult to deal with

9. "Great people, great culture"

Former Intern - Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun working environment, entrepreneurial workplace, fun product and industry, good benefits, Santa Monica is a beautiful place to live

Cons

sometimes long hours, if a person has difficulty dealing with ambiguity they might struggle, sometimes hard to get buy-in for projects due to limited resources

Advice to Management

will probably need to develop a more structured organization and processes at some point

"Excellent Place to push you to your limits and surpass them"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From a technologists stand point and a former Yahoo where the people made the company I can only say nice things about Riot Games. The people, The people, The people. Everyone hired there is cream-of-the-crop and because of this you learn, and learn, and learn, and become better at what you do. The leadership structure allows those they hire to dictate where and what they should focus on something completely awesome if you're into technology. But of course to have reasons WHY something should be a certain way and follow though with it. The WHY is what makes this place great. They challenge your ideas and at the end of the challenge you come out with a very solid, FOCUSED roadmap to help the players of LoL.

Cons

1. Long hours. But they go by really really fast.
    2. While I was there they put in a Starbucks coffee machine. it takes forever and a line starts to form,. Spark up conversation with the person next to you and itll go by faster.
    3. Lunch time eateries. Not so healthy but with an onsite gym you cant complain. lol.
    4. :-| No real cons to be honest.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Work/Life balance needs a little fine tuning.