Riot Games "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

Riot Games Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Recruiting Coordinator"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- company perks
    - awesome talent
    - great growth mindsets
    - enjoyable work

Cons

- decisions are not always made in a timely manner

"It's Make-or-Break Time"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Everyone has already mentioned the extremely generous perks and benefits that Riot offers so I won’t go too much into that. Riot is a place where you can feel inspired working with some of the most incredible and brilliant minds you’ll likely ever work with anywhere in your career. You also get the opportunity to take on passion projects outside the scope of your immediate responsibilities more so than you might at most other organizations.

Cons

The “D20,” what we call the senior leaders who report into the three new executive heads, are an interesting group. There are a small handful in that group the rest of the organization views as competent. The rest are a disaster combination of highly insecure men (literally we are talking about men) who also think they know best and constantly compete to be the smartest voice in the room. Then we wonder why we have failed to produce a legitimate second game despite unlimited funds, resources and freedom from constraints for years.

Advice to Management

To the three new executive heads, you are being watched very closely at this pivotal point in time and your decisions on what you do with your leadership team can make or break this company; it can mean the difference between your highest performers in the rest of the org staying or going. This is your opportunity to turn things around and we are all holding our collective breaths and praying that you get this right.

Any one of your “D20” leaders who consistently blames the system, or other teams and/or especially members of their own teams as reasons why they are struggling, especially if these leaders have been in their jobs for more than 4 or 5 years, should be swiftly and unceremoniously exited from the company. Total ownership is a mindset change and mindset changes could take years to internalize. We don’t have years, the stakes are too high. If a leader at that high level of authority in the organization cannot find a way to turn the ship around after multiple years, they should not be in that role.

You have a goldmine of top-tier, passionate talent at your fingertips, they are being severely handicapped from reaching their full capabilities by the egos and incompetence of your senior leadership. If you don’t fix this soon, you’ll lose your talent.

Your already-minuscule population of women leaders are slowly becoming flight risks, not only because it’s hard to be a female leader here (and let’s be clear, it is hard) but because we look around us and see so many incompetent men who have mastered the art of speaking confidently rising in the leadership ranks and staying there despite ongoing ineptitude. The “embrace failure” mantra only applies to the men here, who are not held accountable for those failures especially if they are one of the “bros”, whereas the women get raked over the coals for any missteps.

"The successes of Rome lead to its downfall"

Current Employee - Member of the Talent Team in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Member of the Talent Team in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people filled with passion. Unlimited PTO. Stocked pantries and a full buffet.

Cons

Leadership is questionable, especially in the areas of Talent/Recruiting. Mistrust is rampant and the Riot Manifesto, the living code of the company, is now a straw dog.
    Honest and open feedback given to leadership of those teams, in the spirit of improving the situation, is not taken well with the recipients deflecting responsibility or becoming overly defensive.

Talent Partners (HR Reps) and members of the recruiting team have left or are leaving. And as we've been told Talent leadership, "People leave a job they love not for more money or greater opportunity, but because of poor leadership". Physicians heal thyselves.

Creative Development is leaderless. Teams spin up , spend millions of player dollars, and spin down with no accountability. Yes, part of this is the creative process, but how often and much wasted player money is too much? Such a waste of talent who believed in Riot.

Advice to Management

New Leadership is in place - start leading. Take a look at exit interview feedback and look for commonalities. People loved Riot and yet they left. Why is that?

"Mostly Like They Promised"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent Team: Most people I work with are the best at their jobs I have worked with. Everyone from engineering leads to talent partners to recruiters to product owners to project managers
    - No jerks policy works: most engineers are smart AND easy to work with
    - Highly Collaborative: open culture of constructive feedback is truly in effect, and you are expected to contribute
    - People Read the Docs: If you write documentation for your work, people generally read it and give feedback on it
    - Truly a gamer culture: people are passionate about good games from top to bottom
    - Lap of Luxury: Working at Riot is an experience in luxury - great food, great coffee, amazing facilities. Its almost too much

Cons

- Large scale is stressing Traditional Riot Values: Riot is now a large-ish company, and its bottom-up, gamer-first culture is under stress. These growing pains are going to hit the long-timers pretty hard in the coming years
    - Innovators Dilemma: After years of focusing on an incredibly successful product, finding "what's next" is difficult and slow. Many Rioters want to do something new, but the culture and the structure of the company don't make it clear how to make that happen
    - No Clear Leadership: Highly collaborative culture is great, but its far too time consuming to create horizontal alignment for every decision, including massive strategic pivots. This is changing, and the internal management structure is starting to become more top-down/hierarchical. Most of Riot considers a Bad Thing, but in my judgement, its a necessary step to take the company to the next step.
    - Non-financial decision making: Riot pretty much NEVER considers money when making decisions. This leads to a lot of difficult to understand priorities. Again, the new leadership is starting too look at normal considerations like ROI and margin when making decisions. I think its a good idea, but talking dollars and cents is jarring to lots of long-time Rioters.
    - Not Invented Here (NIH): A lack of monetary accountability and some degree of engineering over-confidence allows engineers to re-invent the wheel a lot more often than than necessary

Advice to Management

- Continue adding financial accountability structures and some hierarchical managerial practices
    - Be aware that this will alienate long-time Rioters and be careful in making these adjustments

5. "Best place I've ever worked at"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

- gaming focused culture
    - talented and passionate teams
    - flat organizational hierarchy
    - healthy mix of work and play
    - awesome campus, lots of perks (free food, etc)

Cons

- org structure, roles and responsibilities can be ambiguous
    - not a lot of accountability when there's failure
    - senior leadership is risk averse and lacks diversity

"Failing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, Fully stocked kitchen, Flexible start time.

Cons

Relentless wheel of nonsense, mixed priorities, and games (not the good kind).

Advice to Management

Remove the blockers (upper management) and get back to what made Riot great.

"It's Now or Never."

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Unlimited growth and learning -- you are only capped by your imagination and determination. I have learned more in my craft at Riot than I could have in 15 years at my previous company. I'm so grateful for the opportunities to learn that I've been given and the hard work of my mentors. This gift is so valuable to me that I feel a duty to pass it on to others in the org. My mentors have inspired me to grow others as much as they have grown me.

2. Truly awesome co-workers, deep interpersonal bonds between Rioters, awesome culture and social environment. I treasure my friends that I've made at Riot and love working with my team. They make me laugh and look forward to coming to work. I have made deep lifelong connections at Riot that I will always cherish.

3. When Riot's culture lives up to its ideal (which it often does, at least on LoL), it feels soooo good to work there--people are rational, open-minded, Socratic, authentic, funny, kind, and competent. Collaboration can reach a crazy height of functionality at Riot. (This is not always what happens, but in my experiences it is virtually extinct at many other companies, and is the status quo in many places within Riot).

4. Pay is ok if you could work in tech, and great for the video game industry. Great benefits. Pretty good work life balance for most people.

5. Riot CAN make great gaming experiences, but needs to ship. Like yesterday.

Cons

1. New senior leadership still adjusting to their role, and still working toward articulating a resonant mission which can plausibly capitalize on Riot's unique strategic advantages.

2. Sexism is common, I'm mostly immune to it, but sometimes it gets under my skin a little. Some old-boy types are poor listeners and might have pretty inflated egos at this point from being treated like gods for the several years.

3. A bunch of people have been ruined by poor accountability, and flush their days down the toilet playing games-- producing nothing of value for years in many cases.

Its painful, and disruptive of people's lives, but ultimately best to let these people go. It's best for both them and for everyone who does earn their keep at Riot. They deserve to feel the satisfaction of a hard day's work and pay they've truly earned by contributing value somewhere... else.

Advice to Management

More cohesive direction and vision is needed. Riot is a super-fast sports car just sitting in the garage--the organization is bursting with talent and potential, but someone needs to get in the car and drive it somewhere... for the love of god... please drive the car somewhere.

As a senior leader, in some situations, your instincts and experience are enough--sometimes you will know exactly what needs to be done, and simply execute toward it.

But sometimes you will not know, and sometimes you will not even know that you do not know. It can be hard to tell the difference between when you know what to do, and when you don't. That is why great leaders also listen carefully and constantly.

When we listen we are better be able to tell the difference between when we know the right answer and when we don't.

8. "The most rewarding and challenging experience"

Former Employee - Program Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Program Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Amazing perks (great health benefits, fully subsidized meals and snacks, unlimited PTO, and more)
    - Passionate people that truly care about the player experience
    - If you ask, many are willing to teach you about their work
    - Many do take play seriously to keep themselves current in the industry
    - In general, Rioters have the best intentions
    - The quality of work expected is really high
    - They take community feedback to heart

Cons

- Entitlement and complacency is growing
    - Weaponizing the mission and manifesto in defense of being questioned about their work and decisions instead of justifying the why
    - More Rioters not seeking to understand the cost (resources and time) of what they ask for
    - Compromising strong cultural values for specific skills in new hires, bringing with them toxic bad habits from previous companies
    - Several manual processes that have carried on from the older days are still around, causing more slow down in productivity.

Advice to Management

As much as I appreciate the focused and accountability direction the top leadership is putting on themselves and the other senior leaders, I hope they put new practices in place that identify self-serving people that are creeping in. Keep management hungry for growth and ask for ways to improve.

Unfortunately, the perks at Riot are becoming more of an influencing factor to motivate people to join and stay here. Continued growth is being replaced with "You just don't get it. Just do your job." If all the perks were taken away to help ensure the success of the company for the reason we were all led to believe, would they stay?

After being part of the company for 6 years, I've learned so much and will be forever grateful for the opportunities Riot Games has given me. Bring the healthy urgency back, don't lose the hunger and the humility, and continue to seek out growth and improvement. I'll always be rooting for you.

"50% cult - 50% communist China"

Current Employee - Animator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Animator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Benefits
    - Unlimited PTO
    - Campus and free food
    - Some super talented co-workers

Cons

-The company culture is a complete failure. It's mostly used in a weaponized way to win arguments.
    Challenging convention is not a good idea at Riot, as well as giving negative feedback. You will be labeled as a negative, toxic person, and you won't be having an easy time with your team. The senior leadership, especially, doesn't take negative feedback very well, and is extremely good at dancing around issues and using their political skills. Agree with the leadership (or who's in touch with it), and everything will be alright.
     Despite what the so-called "Riot Manifesto" says, titles count at Riot, and a lot of senior people leverage them (combined with Alpha behaviors, political games and back stabbing) to win arguments and keep their status.
    "Hungry&Humble", I've seen many high-level people making fun of other companies and talking about Riot superiority, despite Riot constantly failing at delivering a second game in the last decade. Egos of a lot of people are way too big.

- Favoritism is a big issue in the company, a lot of people in the senior leadership are not qualified for their jobs and, despite their constant failures at what they're doing (and a lot of people under them having a hard time/losing their jobs), keep their positions because they're buddies with the owners. These people's accountability doesn't exist, which is very disrespectful for the other employees.

- In 4 years I've experienced and seen a lot of discrimination towards sex, race and nationality, by a lot of people who never faced consequences for their actions.

- Extreme corporate atmosphere, with a lot of bad politics happening.

- Being at Riot feels like being in a cult. Orientation ("De-Newbiefication" in the Riot language) is basically a full week of indoctrination. You're forced to wear an embarassing hat and, during one of the classes, you're asked to share a painful experience, in which you felt vulnerable (exactly like a lot of cults do). A lot of company gatherings in which a lot of hyperbolic (unrealistic, in reality), things about the company are said, to an audience wearing Riot clothes. Questioning stuff that Riot does (the game, esports, etc.) is perceived extremely negatively.

- If you're planning on building a portfolio, go somewhere else. Riot moves slowly, the amount of work and the quality of it will be not up to par with the current industry standards.

Advice to Management

Start making accountability a thing, and get rid of a lot of the leadership (most of them would be associate/mid-level in a lot of other companies, anyways).

If the company culture means something, be pro-active in making sure people respect it, instead of allowing them to use it for their personal advantage. Or just change the company culture and be honest about it.

Start understanding that Riot has been able to put out only a mediocre game in 11 years (that now is starting to look and feel incredibly old), and realize that our competitors are constantly beating us.
    Less time self-celebrating ourselves, more game-shipping.

Riot Games Response

Apr 26, 2018 – HR Generalist

Hi,

I'm Michelle, a Talent Generalist at Riot.

First, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

It saddens me to hear that you have had a negative experience at Riot and I... More

"Great place for self starters"

Current Employee - Talent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Talent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunity for growth, I've worked at Riot for a few years and they have continued to recognize my performance and give me the opportunity to increase my scope.
    - Challenging place, but almost always for the good. Riot's natural instinct is to question. The manifesto says "Challenge Convention" which can be done, but you have to be willing to do the challenge part.
    - Takes great care of their employees, we have great benefits, an awesome location that we work in.
    - True to the manifesto
    - Autonomy, our managers do not breathe down our backs and review every line item of what we do. There is trust among us to do what is right.

Cons

- There is so much work to do, that you could literally not go home. You really have to self regulate yourself.
    - The company does not have a great roadmap for the future (meaning it is behind the locked doors of R&D).

Advice to Management

- Ship another game. Leadership may need to help the R&D team prioritize and make a commitment to the players.
    - Creating an overly corporate atmosphere (not that we are there now, but we could be sooner than later) may detract from our ability to move fast and make the best decisions for the players. Also, who wants to work in that kind of environment?