Riot Games "player experience" Reviews | Glassdoor

Riot Games Employee Reviews about "player experience"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Definitely An Employer Of Choice"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

First and foremost, there is a distinct and well-defined culture. This company has a great onboarding process – the best I’ve ever experienced. Managers actually honor the process so that Rioters can be focused on learning the ropes, which is really refreshing. It’s also clear that player experience is at the crux of everything Rioters do, and you can see there’s a great sense of pride in that.

Since I joined Riot I’ve had the opportunity to solve really interesting and challenging problems in my craft space, and I’ve been able to take what I’ve learned in my profession and scale it here. And that’s part of the beauty of working at Riot – having room to grow, and the ability to execute on your ideas.

Cons

A level of ambiguity and chaos that comes with an organization that’s going through growing pains which, for some, can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Invest in what’s next for the company, and that includes leveling up your managers. Their impact on culture can be significant, and so it’s important to ensure the leadership body is effective and that they continue to exemplify our values and manifesto.

"The most rewarding and challenging experience"

Former Employee - Program Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Program Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Amazing perks (great health benefits, fully subsidized meals and snacks, unlimited PTO, and more)
    - Passionate people that truly care about the player experience
    - If you ask, many are willing to teach you about their work
    - Many do take play seriously to keep themselves current in the industry
    - In general, Rioters have the best intentions
    - The quality of work expected is really high
    - They take community feedback to heart

Cons

- Entitlement and complacency is growing
    - Weaponizing the mission and manifesto in defense of being questioned about their work and decisions instead of justifying the why
    - More Rioters not seeking to understand the cost (resources and time) of what they ask for
    - Compromising strong cultural values for specific skills in new hires, bringing with them toxic bad habits from previous companies
    - Several manual processes that have carried on from the older days are still around, causing more slow down in productivity.

Advice to Management

As much as I appreciate the focused and accountability direction the top leadership is putting on themselves and the other senior leaders, I hope they put new practices in place that identify self-serving people that are creeping in. Keep management hungry for growth and ask for ways to improve.

Unfortunately, the perks at Riot are becoming more of an influencing factor to motivate people to join and stay here. Continued growth is being replaced with "You just don't get it. Just do your job." If all the perks were taken away to help ensure the success of the company for the reason we were all led to believe, would they stay?

After being part of the company for 6 years, I've learned so much and will be forever grateful for the opportunities Riot Games has given me. Bring the healthy urgency back, don't lose the hunger and the humility, and continue to seek out growth and improvement. I'll always be rooting for you.

"Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Smart, talented and professional colleagues. I work on a team at Riot where every single person is smart, talented and professional. I find that most Rioters I interact with outside of my team also possess these qualities.

2. Big impact. I get constant satisfaction knowing that our collective work impacts the 100 million+ people that play League of Legends each month. That's a lot of joy to bring to the world.

3. Work/life balance. Riot has an amazing work/life balance. I feel so lucky.

4. Compensation. Speaking for my job anyway, compensation is top of the market.

5. Senior leadership. I usually agree with our senior leadership. When I don't agree, I feel comfortable expressing my disagreement without fear of reprisal. I also have confidence that they will take us in the right direction.

6. Company culture. Riot is a great place for gamers. It has a focus on hiring gamers and always thinks about putting the player experience first. As a hardcore gamer, I really appreciate this and find that it adds additional meaning to my work.

Cons

1. Lack of future leadership identification/growth program. Riot doesn't yet have a program or process for identifying future leaders and ensuring their growth and development within the company. As a result, Riot risks losing top talent that cannot find ways to grow beyond their current role.

2. Lack of accountability. Too many Rioters aren't held accountable for poor decision-making. While this may be about to change, it hasn't yet.

3. Not enough sense of urgency/hunger. Perhaps this comes from lots of Rioters making truckloads of money when Tencent bought the company, but whatever it is, it feels like there is too much complacency.

4. Some Rioters lack a sense of appreciation. Some Rioters, particularly those who have never worked a "real job," do not seem to appreciate what Riot offers them. Most jobs do not offer free lunch and dinner, allow you to play games at work, unlimited free specialty coffee drinks, basketball court on campus, etc., and some Rioters really take these things for granted rather than treating them as privileges that should not be abused.

Advice to Management

It's truly an exciting time to work at Riot. The new management team has talked about changes that will happen in 2018. They all sound great. Go make them happen.

4. "Amazing company, but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture: When Riot speaks about putting player experience first, it's no joke. There are never conversations around "How do we make the most money?". The Riot Manifesto is actually embodied at the company and not just thrown on the website to lure people in.

Tech Challenges: Not many companies have the kind of scale that Riot deals with. The engineering challenges presented are difficult but fun to work on.

Flexible Schedule: Healthy work-life balance makes it easy to fit in things like doctor's appointments, or to shift your work hours so you can try to avoid traffic.

Benefits: Free food. Video games time during the day.

Cons

Los Angeles: Living here isn't cheap, and the traffic is honestly the worst I've ever experienced in my life. Living closer to the office tends to be much more expensive.

Hiring: Hiring is SLOW. Part of the reason for this is that there is an extremely high bar for what makes a Rioter, but it can be frustrating on both ends. Internally when you're on a team, it can be hard to get the people you need, and externally it's frustrating when each stage of the process takes a while. This IS getting better, but it's still far from perfect.

Immature talent: Not everyone wants to work at a video game company, and a large portion of Riot's talent pool are fresh graduates. While many are great, there are also a non-trivial number who stretch "work-life balance" too far. There is a joke of "Riot Time", where people routinely show up to meetings 5 minutes late. If you're used to a more structured and organized company, this can be somewhat tilting. While Riot values feedback culture, there isn't much whip-cracking.

Growing pains: Flat organizational structure doesn't work well when you start to hit 3k people. As the company shifts to having more hierarchy there are definitely pains, but it's overall a positive direction for the company.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on the growing pains, and don't allow bad actors to spoil the work environment for those who want to hit deadlines.

"Day to day is great, beware of long term consequences"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Player Value: There is a real focus on what people believe provides the most player value. Most work arguments are about how to prioritize immediate player value against long term value and that is amazing to experience.

Daily work: The day to day work usually feels very meaningful and connected to the player experience on most teams, albeit slow and often inefficient.

Senior Leadership: Riot senior leadership is very transparent with our high level goals and most of our longer term milestones to get there.

Growth: There are tons of opportunities for entry level people to advance once or twice if they work hard and take the initiative to solve problems.

Perks: The perks across the board are truly amazing and include: subsidized food, coffee, reduced cost gym memberships, parking, play fund to buy games, clubs, and open PTO.

Great cross discipline teams: Some teams are everything good you have ever read about Riot. They exemplify all of Riot's values.

Cons

I'll start off by echoing everything mentioned in Feb 22nd's review
    "A great place to learn the ropes, but run for the hills if you’re in a leadership role"".
    This includes Senior Leadership with an emphasis on cronyism, rocking the boat is viewed as being misaligned, senior leadership being misaligned with everyone else, poor compensation, and optimized for extroverts are all real and ongoing problems and sadly have gotten worse over the past year or two. I could go on about each of them, but several reviews already do so.

Expanding on the above, a few point's not called out.

Entitlement: Entitlement has gone up significantly at Riot and is often found in those with the least reason to feel entitled. The number of people who waste time and have roles where they are accountable to no one has increased significantly since the start of 2015. Work quality and output that was mediocre in 2013 is now the norm. Play games 2-3 hours a day? Not a problem on some teams.

Compensation: Perhaps one reason a large amount of the company feels so entitled is the pay at Riot is about 20-35% less than competitors in west LA, if you are below senior leadership level. Your ability to negotiate pay raises is extraordinarily difficult. It is seen as un-riotous to ask for more money and senior leadership often stonewalls monetary requests. What makes this so much worse than it appears at first glance is the number of senior people who are compensated very well for the work they did years ago and now coast by making so very much more than the rest of us while doing less work.

Perks: Many perks which people took for granted years ago are dwindling or gone. These lost perks include: WeRiot yearly vacation, unlocked game account, equity in the company, ability to negotiate compensation packages, trips to conferences or events like PAX, and the ability to switch teams to focus on what you are passionate about are all gone or almost gone.

Advice to Management

Figure out what it is you want Riot to be. You seem to want it to be the most player focused game company in the world, have a great CDEV department with their work, grow great leaders, hire and retain top tier talent, actively engage with our players, be open to feedback, and default to trust.

The problem is you don't have to right people to accomplish most of those goals and it's showing. If you want to accomplish those goals figure out who in senior leadership has checked after the Tencent buyout before all the best mid level talent leave for better paying jobs where they really feel valued.

"You can make a difference"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I signed up to deal with the massive amounts of data that League of Legends collects. So if you are a data nerd you will appreciate:
    - volume and diversity of data
    - access to state of the art tools related to data crunching and analysis
    - the high value placed on how to turn data into a better experience for players

General pros include
    - relaxed and friendly atmosphere
    - amazing potential for growth in all areas (profession, management, etc)
    - every level of Riot is keen to make both the player experience and employee experience better, and it's genuine.

Cons

- LA traffic is terrible.
    - High bar for culture fit is a good thing, but ultimately means sometimes there is more work to do than people available to do it.
    - Slightly family unfriendly (some meetings are scheduled between 5 and 7 pm, which conflicts with your kids schedule). Riot is getting better at this however.

Advice to Management

The emphasis on meetings (lots of them) should be better balanced with time needed to get work done. I have seen a few examples of 'too much talk, not enough action'. Awareness is generally there, but stay vigilant!

"Incredible environment, incredible people"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Riot truly cares about the player experience; it's their #1 focus, and it's clear in everything they do. I love the open feedback culture and work autonomy; it's a great environment for those who are passionate about what they do. One thing that drew me to Riot was the enthusiasm Rioters have for their work; it's amazing to work with such dedicated, passionate people.

Riot has great amenities for Rioters, too: phenomenal food, spotless bathrooms, convertible standing desks, creative conference rooms, expansive courtyard, and awesome events - more than I'd ever dreamed of asking from a company!

Cons

There's a lot of "tribal knowledge" (without thorough or consistent documentation) in the data systems that make it hard for new people to dive in and utilize data effectively.

Advice to Management

Don't be so afraid. Fear is crippling your potential. How often can you summarize big business decisions in terms of fear? "We're afraid players will just use sandbox mode for grinding instead of playing with friends," "We're afraid players will think BPR is Game 2," "We're afraid of releasing a game that isn't 'genre-defining' / completely revolutionary," etc. I understand wanting to make sure you're doing the right thing for the players, but don't you suppose that sometimes the hesitance, rooted in fear, subtracts from player experience?

8. "It was exciting when I started and it hasn't gone away"

Current Employee - Creative Services Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Creative Services Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think the best way I can sum up Riot OCE is when I first started here I thought 'Why would you want to work anywhere else?' and 2 years later that hasn't changed.

When I first walked in we were in a temporary office, there were a handful of employees and I was shown to a desk without a keyboard and told to figure it out. That was my onboarding experience.

Truth be told I loved it, I was put in a situation where I had to crawl outside my comfort zone and try to figure things out. Riot OCE has gotten better at onboarding since then, there's a multi-day program in an amazing office, games with the team and a new starter BBQ. That said I loved being put in a situation where it was 'here's your desk, go figure it out'.

Other places I have worked it has always been about here's what you are supposed to be doing, now go do it. Riot has always been about what do you think? What is your take on this? How can we make this better?

It was exciting when I started and it hasn't gone away. Everywhere else I have ever worked I go through a couple of months of 'new job honeymoon' where everything is exciting and time flies. Then I start to hit the 3-4 month zone and you usually have your role figured out - after 6 months you have it on lockdown and that's when I wouldn't be really challenging anymore and work starts to get procedural.

That never happens here. The things you work on and the role you have with the company grows as you do. If you want to kick down doors and take on more responsibility you will be given the chance to do so. I would caution to say that if you're looking for a place where you can just be a number on a team then it's not going to work out - it's very much a high performance culture.

In terms of what's changed from two years ago? I would say that I have grown a lot here. I've never been challenged in a constructive way like I have been here. The team is incredibly smart, driven and united on the purpose of us being here. The mission is not just a corporate slogan on the wall, it's the driving force of every decision we make. It's pretty common to be in a meeting and people collaborate on trying to understand exactly what the best player experience for a particular project means. It can be exhilarating if you are passionate about gaming, if you're not you will find it a challenge.

I still walk across the Pyrmont bridge going 'wow I get to work at Riot games today'. There's also perks like free food (breakfast on Tues/Thurs, Lunch on Weds), half price gym, free healthcare, great office space, travel, swag, etc, but to me they are icing on the cake. The best review on the perks and the talent (HR) team here is the company will always support you in whatever you are trying to do - you really do get taken care of well.

But IMO the best reason to work here is the empowerment and trust. Your manager won't be micromanaging you and telling you how to do your work, you'll help shape the goals for your role and then you will own how to go out there and deliver on them.

Office culture here is a big thing too. Everyone knows each other because we are a tight-knit team, it's also very welcoming to new people and so far everyone that has started here has gotten on with everyone really well.

There are a lot of social events, Riot organised as well as just put together by people at work. It's pretty common for someone organising anything from a trip to the cricket to a board games night or drinks at the pub to email the whole office or walk the floor asking who is up for it. There is no private little groups here like I experienced at other companies. Everyone gets invited to everything basically and whether you go or not is up to you. Some people don't go for the social activities and that's fine too.

Cons

Work/life balance for sure. When I wake up I check my email, just before I go to sleep I check my email. Some people are better at this than others, but I have never bought into the mission of a company so much before so I personally struggle with maintaining a healthy balance.

"Learning to Riot in Sydney"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Riot in Sydney for under a year. It is great to be with a company where you can be more than your job - part of the whole business, community and experience.

Players Experience First- this is not just some fad word thrown about by hr with little belief. Every decision, initiative, action riot does is weighed against the value it will add to the player experience - and we are all players.
    The role is bigger than your job- You will do your job and there is the expectation of delivering on it but you will also play lots of games, you will be part of projects not linked to your core role, you will do esports, you will be part of the community, you can have a say and you can be part of everything going on.
    Opportunity to have impact- this is not an office which is just an extension of US HQ where we salute and do what is told. The office is free to make the decision they believe is right for the players. This means in whatever job you have in riot you can have impact- you will collaborate with others in the office and internationally but you make the decision on what is the best way forward.
    We trust you - you are expected to deliver but no one is going to be micro managing you.
    The hiring bar is high and continually rising- you will work with great, passionate, serious, professional people.
    This is not a tech company, this is a gaming company, and yes, we play games at work.

Cons

Obviously if you don’t like what I have said above then maybe riot will not suit. You control your role and your path but it is not a 9-5 where you just do your job, you have to want more than that and you have to be flexible and comfortable with change.
    Senior Leadership- we are still a growing office, startup mentality, finding our way, it does mean we are lacking some senior leadership and experience and hiring is carefully done at riot which has created pains as we look for the right people.
    Hiring - recruitment and hiring is painfully slow - be patient, be determined.

10. "Living the Dream"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Riot lives up to the Manifesto on its website.

1. Player experience first
    2. Challenge convention
    3. Focus on talent and team
    4. Take play seriously
    5. Stay hungry, stay humble

The evidence of these pillar are seen in the people that work at Riot. It's truly a place that fosters growth.

Cons

Because of the desire to produce top-quality results, processes can be slowed to less-than-efficient speeds. This can be frustrating for those used to a faster workflow.

Advice to Management

Please continue the company-wide AMAs. This transparency goes a long way when it comes to building a unified culture and message.