Riot Games "player focused" Reviews | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

Riot Games Employee Reviews about "player focused"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best company so far in my career"

Current Employee - Engineer in Central (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Central (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- People are self disciplined and self motivated
    - No one ever forced people to do anything. Staffs have high degree of autonomy, but sharing the same vision and culture helps to align people to the same direction
    - Player focused. People here generally less care about position and power. I feel like everyone here is to do something for our players.
    - Good benefit, game time, unlimited holiday
    - Give you the chance to pick up new tech/skill even if you have no experience on that before. However, you need to learn fast and deliver
    - Feedback culture. Good feedback help us grow.
    - Small company in HK. I put it in Pros because I like to work in small company (under 100 people). Little to no political plays. People know each other. Love that.
    - High quality hiring. High quality people.

Cons

- You need to be adaptive and be prepared to take on new stuff when new opportunity arrives.
    - Although we have "Challenge convention" mindset, I feel like we did not have chance to show enough quality on that area. It could be that so far our projects were pretty straight forward and not much opportunity/room for us to demonstrate that. Hopefully the upcoming projects would be challenging and we will show more quality on that area.
    - We are not really free to do anything (i.e. if you say you want to make a mobile game and if that is not the studio's vision, you may be frustrated). The projects have to be aligned with head quarter with LA.
    - Feedback culture. Not everyone is good at giving feedback in reality. Even if it is good feedback, it may still hurt. It is also not uncommon to see the same feedback over couple of feedback session that spanned years. Something could be hard to change if it is deep in your personality/character.
    - League of Legends is our game. You have to love it, otherwise, it will be hard for you.
    - Game industry is pretty small in Hong Kong. If you are somehow leaving this company, it could be hard for you to get the same quality job in Hong Kong.
    - Generally Hong Kong things - expensive living cost (mainly about rent/housing)

Advice to Management

Thanks for the hard work to give HK studios more projects. Keep it up!

2. "Gamer + player focused; attempting to mature"

Current Employee - Engineering in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Truly player focused. Revenue is not the basis of decisions and often isn't even part of the discussion.
    - Gamer culture. Gaming is part of everyday life at Riot, and not just League of Legends. Employees are encouraged to experience gaming across different genre and formats.
    - Feedback + mentoring + big challenges = explosive personal growth. You will be forced out of your comfort zone and there is a net to catch you when you stumble.

Cons

- League of Legends growth curve created tech, people, and organizational debt. Tribal knowledge and immature processes and systems make it hard to onboard, slow to modernize, and individuals that are single sources of knowledge.
    - Struggling to scale horizontally (new products) and vertically (not requiring active participation by executives in daily company operations).
    - Business core hours, particularly in LA, favor the young or single.

Advice to Management

Slow down for future acceleration; ease up on current product aspirations and reinforce the company foundations.

"Amazing People With No Direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Talented and smart people
    You're given direction and ownership with little oversight
    Lots of perks: unlimited PTO, free food, great campus
    Very player focused: employees are encouraged to talk to and interact with players
    Great feedback culture

Cons

Vague/unclear direction and strategy coming from above
    Leaders are not held accountable for mistakes unless they're public
    Leaders are not rewarded for successes
    Biases run rampant when gauging employee performance
    No growth opportunities or training for leaders
    Discipline health is inconsistent, leadership disciplines are especially volatile and don't prioritize investing in their reports.

Advice to Management

Figure out an actual strategy for the company, becoming a multi-game studio is not a strategy
    Invest heavily in your leaders. Grow them and make them stronger. They will carry your company, not you.
    Figure out how to incubate and support innovation, stop growing for the sake of growing.
    Invest in doing more with who you have and stop hiring as much.
    Ship a game, ship lots of games, don't be afraid to fail.

"Sr. Quality Assurance Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Amazing work environment with talented folks.
    -Player-focused development and decision-making
    -Empowerment to challenge anyone's decisions without fear of punishment
    -Fantastic mentorship and education opportunities
    -Feedback-oriented culture
    -Data-informed rather than data-driven

Cons

-Development can be slow with so much feedback coming in
    -Must be a self-starter to succeed
    -Extroverted qualities can have more positive bias in interviews and reviews

Advice to Management

-Would like more honest delivery of data, rather than just showing what they think Rioters want to hear
    -More on-the-ground interaction with teams
    -More transparency into work

5. "Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Truly customer (player) focused company, some of the best talent in the industry works here (learning opportunities), bs intolerant, compelling values and culture that company actually cares about. A lot of opportunities for growth.

Cons

very competitive and at times stressful (even though healthy stress). LA area can be expensive to live in, but then again its LA:)

Advice to Management

Keep the culture, keep the focus on customers.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros

Riot is a great place to work. The company really takes care of its employees, office is awesome, and there are many awesome perks such as free food and drinks, great equipment, international travel multi times a year, company retreats and more. The culture is also amazing, people are really encouraged to give candid feedback and help you grow and develop as a professional. And of course, if you're a gamer, this is your place to be. Riot live by it's philosophy of being the most player focused company in the world, meaning you have the autonomy to create great things that players will love, and see your work impacting people around the globe.

Cons

Work-life balance is nearly impossible, I'd say. Specially if you're working on some specific areas such as eSports and live shows, you'll be away from home and working around the clock a lot. Rioters working in regions outside the HQ in Los Angeles are seen as second class citizens, which is not nice at all.

Advice to Management

Keep the awesome culture. Let's explore products before it's too late. Make sure to pay attention to regional offices because 1) Culture is misinterpreted or non-existent some times; 2) Regional offices doesn't have strong craft development, so people feel like abandoned; 3) Let's give more opportunities for regional offices to interact and/or work in global projects/initiatives.

"Incredible aspirations, but the reality is a work-in-progress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic campus and perks. Once you step on the Riot HQ property, everything is free including gourmet meals, well stocked kitchens and a full service coffee shop and smoothie bar. It's like an island of Silicon Valley in the L.A. wasteland.

While the perks are nice, it's our cultural aspirations and my awesome co-workers that keep me here. In a landscape littered with profit-maximizing soulless bureaucratic corporations, it's nice to see Marc and Brandon stand up for what they believe is right: to be the most player-focused game company in the world and to respect the folks delivering on that dream. There's a real, deep seated belief that if we keep customers and employees happy that prosperity will follow.

We don't always nail it, but when we don't get it right it's usually because of growing pains and a failure in coordination or execution, it's never because of cynical exploitation.

Cons

Being more inclusive of different work styles could save us a lot of headache in our execution woes. Riot culture is EXTREMELY biased towards extroverts, often to our detriment when we rally behind big personalities over thoughtful quiet types. Senior leadership prefers a "hands off" approach that emphasizes individual and team autonomy but hasn't provided enough guidance on what good looks like, so showmanship is sometimes mistaken for merit. The typical HiPPO (highest paid person's opinion wins) problem is not prevalent which is great, but it's essentially been replaced by a "loudest voice in the room wins" problem.

Decision-making, due to the void of central control, is chaotic, messy and slow. This has led to a lack of focus in our efforts and is probably also where our "loudest voice" problem comes from. People are latching onto these alpha males (and let's be honest, they are overwhelmingly male) because they offer a sense of certainty in an environment rife with ambiguity and competing priorities.

Advice to Management

I admire the decision to promote autonomy and make Riot a safe space to fail, but it's dangerous unless it's coupled with meaningful accountability and clear priorities from the top. In the same way that work will expand to fill the time allotted to it, I think the same is true for resources. League of Legends is glutted for resources, and a lot of the rest of the organization is starving. I would be surprised if League couldn't get by with 2/3 or less of it's current people. If combined with ruthless prioritization, you'd probably find quality hasn't suffered and teams are in fact shipping faster.

Spread that love to anemic groups (especially creative exploration and business support functions).

"Amazing Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

The company keeps true in striving to be the most player-focused company in the world, even in the corporate functions. People here are genuinely good people who want to do the best that they can in their role, for the company and players. People want colleagues who can level up the company/team, even when that means they would be considered a lower level.

Cons

Due to high standards of candidates, some teams are under-staffed. The company is still growing tremendously so the company is evolving continuously. It's hard to keep up with all of the changes when a lot of the departments do their own things.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep standards high. Keep investing in the talent here.

"Shot-caller or back-up player, it's in your hands"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

I personally love this company, and like its mission statement, this company is literally one of THE most player-focused companies I have ever had the opportunity to work for. They take this statement very serious, and you can hear the words "player focused", "default trust", and "culture fit" anytime and everywhere in the company.

When it comes to less experienced candidates, Riot somehow actually fully trusts in your judgement to make a tough call; they also embrace your mistakes, as long as you're willing to admit it.

The culture here at Riot is also one thing I love, and hate: the feedback culture is very honest and open. If you did something that others don't agree, they will voice it out. The reason I say I love this is because constructive feedback is the reason that people can keep growing, but at the same time, this isn't a method for all people.

One more thing I'd like to mention is the policy of having no titles in the office to reduce the hierarchical ladder in China. This gives new employees all the freedom to talk to anyone in the office about a problem or concern without having to think if they stepped over the line per se. And while this policy is in place, employees feel more empowered to work on the projects they love, instead of being limited to a certain job forever.

Cons

As I already mentioned in the pros, the word "default trust" is thrown around all the time, and yes, people do actually trust the Product Owner (PO) in his/her judgement when decisions need to made. If you were the PO in this case, sometimes you really got to make very tough calls, with limited information, and this can be a great deal of pressure. Most of the decisions that need to made here in the Hong Kong and Shanghai office are in scenarios that a lot of companies have never experienced before: such as keeping the no title policy in the company IN CHINA.

With less experienced candidates, you do get a chance to be the product owner of things, and how you want to proceed with that PO status is completely up to yourself. However, it is a great deal of stress if you were to make one wrong call as a new hire and be courageous enough to admit it and just move on. These can be devastating moments as you are basically put on trial in front of a group of people that's questioning your decision.

Advice to Management

I agree with the fact that culture means everything in this company, and I believe the culture and people is what brought Riot to where it is today without compromising. However, I also believe that onboarding is crucial too. With the China office being in such an entrepreneurial state, I understand that training and mentorship may not be the top priority, but I hope the hiring managers understand this fully.

"First Year at Riot"

Pros

I've been at Riot Games Sydney for less than a year, but I have enjoyed the experience thoroughly. Riot is different from a lot of other workplaces. If you look at the manifesto, that's not there for show, it's something we actually believe in and incorporate into our day to day activity.

When we say we aspire to be the most player focused games company in the world, we mean it. Riot doesn't always get it right, and sometimes they can do some really silly things (hahaha replays/sandbox mode etc. As many Rioters are players themselves, they want these features as much as any other LoL player). But the heart is always in the right place and it shines through when we consider any major decision that will affect the Oceanic Player Base.

We currently have a ~25 person office. Everyone is on pretty good terms with everyone else. I mean, we're all gamers, we all play League (well, almost everyone) and we all share the same mission to deliver player value. We hold internal tournaments, have catered breakfasts twice a week and a catered lunch once a week.

This office is full of very driven people, and it's expected that you are able to manage your own time effectively and deliver results. Nobody's going to tell you what to do, but if you need help, there's always going to be a helping hand. Another plus is that if an opportunity arises that you have the skillset to help out in, you can feel free to put your hand up and do it. Nobody's gonna say no.

This office is very much one about open feedback. If you screw up, you'll know. We're expected to level each other up.

Oh, also, the subsidised vending machines at the office are pretty sweet (no pun intended)

Cons

I wouldn't say there are too many downsides to working here. Sometimes we aim for perfection too much and that can be a blocker to delivering more player value.

Advice to Management

Doesn't really make too much sense for me to put advice to management in a public facing review, when I could just directly give feedback to management.