Riot Games "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Riot Games Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Meeting my (very high) Expectations"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Open feedback culture has helped me grow tremendously. I love working with an organization that allows me to be transparent and open about my growth and development. I receive feedback in real time, and while that is jarring at first, I am so thankful and have grown so much.
    - Beautiful campus with excellent on-campus benefits (coffee bar, three meals a day at a fully-subsidized cafe, plenty of outside and community spaces to change the pace of day-to-day work
    - Talented people - this is echoed in a lot of reviews, but it's true. Everyone that works here is brilliant in their own right. Not only that, but everyone is kind, and goes out of their way to be kind.
    - Compensation - I can't speak for everyone, but my comp far exceeded my expectations upon being hired
    - Casual dress code (as long as you're covering what's required by law, you're good!)
    - Work-life balance - I actually have a great work-life balance, but I realize that can vary from team to team

Cons

- Growing pains - Riot has grown a lot in the past five years, and so there is some ambiguity around organization-wide priorities and expectations. As such, ambiguity is everywhere , all the time. Every company says they look for people that thrive in ambiguity, but Riot takes that to a whole new level. Essentially, if you're interviewing here, don't say you can handle ambiguity if it actually makes you uncomfortable, because you will be expected to face ambiguity every single day.
    - Confusion about career growth / pathing across disciplines, which is strange considering Riot boasts a focus on talent and team. People who have been here for a long time and have traversed multiple roles have had to do so with a sort of vagabond, pave your own way mentality.

Advice to Management

Now that we have the brilliant people necessary to carry the company forward at the ground-level, get together and figure out tangible steps that need to be taken to drive forward at an organizational level so that we aren't having to re-invent the wheel every time we're thrown a curveball. Riot has made me a creative problem-solver and a scrappy, resourceful professional as a result of loose regulations (and for that I am thankful), but it doesn't necessarily have to be that way.

2. "Great place to work if you love video games and entertainment"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Company Perks
    - Talents
    - Disruptive atmosphere
    - Feedback culture

Cons

- No diversity
    - Lack of management for people who work during weekends
    - Lack of work-life balance

Advice to Management

As a game/tech company would be nice to see at Riot the same concern on diversity we can see nowadays in other big companies such as Google, Facebook or even Disney - not just internally as a company but also in the product

"It's Now or Never."

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Unlimited growth and learning -- you are only capped by your imagination and determination. I have learned more in my craft at Riot than I could have in 15 years at my previous company. I'm so grateful for the opportunities to learn that I've been given and the hard work of my mentors. This gift is so valuable to me that I feel a duty to pass it on to others in the org. My mentors have inspired me to grow others as much as they have grown me.

2. Truly awesome co-workers, deep interpersonal bonds between Rioters, awesome culture and social environment. I treasure my friends that I've made at Riot and love working with my team. They make me laugh and look forward to coming to work. I have made deep lifelong connections at Riot that I will always cherish.

3. When Riot's culture lives up to its ideal (which it often does, at least on LoL), it feels soooo good to work there--people are rational, open-minded, Socratic, authentic, funny, kind, and competent. Collaboration can reach a crazy height of functionality at Riot. (This is not always what happens, but in my experiences it is virtually extinct at many other companies, and is the status quo in many places within Riot).

4. Pay is ok if you could work in tech, and great for the video game industry. Great benefits. Pretty good work life balance for most people.

5. Riot CAN make great gaming experiences, but needs to ship. Like yesterday.

Cons

1. New senior leadership still adjusting to their role, and still working toward articulating a resonant mission which can plausibly capitalize on Riot's unique strategic advantages.

2. Sexism is common, I'm mostly immune to it, but sometimes it gets under my skin a little. Some old-boy types are poor listeners and might have pretty inflated egos at this point from being treated like gods for the several years.

3. A bunch of people have been ruined by poor accountability, and flush their days down the toilet playing games-- producing nothing of value for years in many cases.

Its painful, and disruptive of people's lives, but ultimately best to let these people go. It's best for both them and for everyone who does earn their keep at Riot. They deserve to feel the satisfaction of a hard day's work and pay they've truly earned by contributing value somewhere... else.

Advice to Management

More cohesive direction and vision is needed. Riot is a super-fast sports car just sitting in the garage--the organization is bursting with talent and potential, but someone needs to get in the car and drive it somewhere... for the love of god... please drive the car somewhere.

As a senior leader, in some situations, your instincts and experience are enough--sometimes you will know exactly what needs to be done, and simply execute toward it.

But sometimes you will not know, and sometimes you will not even know that you do not know. It can be hard to tell the difference between when you know what to do, and when you don't. That is why great leaders also listen carefully and constantly.

When we listen we are better be able to tell the difference between when we know the right answer and when we don't.

4. "Gamer's dream! Fun culture, with serious workers"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom to take on initiatives, plenty of opportunities to solve different problem spaces, you can build relationships even with others not immediately within your working ladder, and the culture has plenty of likeminded gamers who believe in the Riot Manifesto.

Cons

Can be easy to be overwhelmed at first as no one is going to hand hold you, work life balance can be off if you don't keep an eye on it, growth is on you to figure out which is a good and bad thing, easy to feel intimidated by longer standing workers and strong personalities. These are all solvable with the right mentality though!

Advice to Management

It's easy to get disconnected from your workers and miss the signs of pain through your workforce. Always keep an eye out and keep your ears close to the ground.

5. "Best Company I've Worked For"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are lots of pros and I feel they are subjective to each person, but to me , the biggest pro is the culture at Riot. Previous companies I've worked for have a manifesto but don't eat their own dog food, that is not the case at Riot and it generally puts a smile on my face when decisions are made based around how impacting it will be our players overall experience (positive or negative) and focus is adjusted in a positive direction.

I'm genuinely excited to be at work everyday. After a year that honestly hasn't changed.

Cons

Hard Cons:
    - Location. If you plan on being close to work be ready for the sticker shock.
    - Location. If you plan on commuting to work, LA traffic won't let you down on being pissed off in your car :)
    - Work/Life balance requires refocusing on smaller teams.

Meh Cons:
    - There is a high technical bar, that doesn't seem to stay in one place long enough to reach it, so lane swaps and teleports don't happen as much as you would expect.
    - The silo effect is real up until the last.. possible... minute....

Advice to Management

Senior Management communication to the organization is above the fold in terms of what I have experienced in the past, stay on course please....

Help avoid the silo effect by fostering better communication habits within smaller teams about what they are working on and who their customers are internally.

Documentation and collaboration could use some adjusting as most relevant reading material isn't accessible without reaching out to the appropriate owners for access to read about what they are working on.

"Not the place as It's advertised."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Istanbul (Turkey)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Istanbul (Turkey)

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

- Continuous development opportunities for products.
    - Total given trust at what you're doing in almost all departments.
    - Equipment and technical needs are not a problem.
    - International shadowing opportunities.

Cons

- Senior management tends to hire people as Rioters fast that are not even gamers or tries to recruit within the company just cause they urgently need someone to fill the position as they have other plans in mind, which literally leads to a corruption of values.
    - Management to employee communication is so bad that, by just telling needs and asking for requests is seen as a communication.
    - You'll be asked to wear one hat but will be manipulated into performing for three.
    - Career opportunities are blocked by managers and only been advertised in the company when there is an urgent need for it.
    - Mobbing in forms of re-positioning without asking or talking, being isolated from projects on purpose without reason nor consent, asking for overworking, not listening nor caring about serious complaints, chitchatting in an unprofessional way are real and condoned by upper management.
    - So called Riot values are simply not valued nor believed in the company, you can feel alone just by trying to live by them.
    - "Being agile" and Rioter code is being abused as a tool for justification of things that are wrong from the beginning.
    - Work/Life balance is a joke.

Advice to Management

- Stop thinking you know what is going on and remove those "you're in control of everything" glasses.

- Focus really on your people first then your business. It may earn you less but will strengthen your roots.

- Of course control your worldwide offices starting from central in terms of relations and people management.

- People are your best investment, don't let other so called Rioters ruin their careers, talent and attitude.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Insight Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Insight Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Riot is a place that tries to aspire to always be better--it's a mindset that I resonate with and what drew me to the company. Although we can be bad at things, if pointed out, we try to make it better and that's the expectation.

+Feedback culture
    +Good people
    +Company perks

Cons

-We struggle at times with work life balance
    -A bit slow-moving and some fear of failure

Advice to Management

Keep paying attention to people and team, don't fear failure, take risks, and invest well.

"Overall a great place to work"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Smart, talented and professional colleagues. I work on a team at Riot where every single person is smart, talented and professional. I find that most Rioters I interact with outside of my team also possess these qualities.

2. Big impact. I get constant satisfaction knowing that our collective work impacts the 100 million+ people that play League of Legends each month. That's a lot of joy to bring to the world.

3. Work/life balance. Riot has an amazing work/life balance. I feel so lucky.

4. Compensation. Speaking for my job anyway, compensation is top of the market.

5. Senior leadership. I usually agree with our senior leadership. When I don't agree, I feel comfortable expressing my disagreement without fear of reprisal. I also have confidence that they will take us in the right direction.

6. Company culture. Riot is a great place for gamers. It has a focus on hiring gamers and always thinks about putting the player experience first. As a hardcore gamer, I really appreciate this and find that it adds additional meaning to my work.

Cons

1. Lack of future leadership identification/growth program. Riot doesn't yet have a program or process for identifying future leaders and ensuring their growth and development within the company. As a result, Riot risks losing top talent that cannot find ways to grow beyond their current role.

2. Lack of accountability. Too many Rioters aren't held accountable for poor decision-making. While this may be about to change, it hasn't yet.

3. Not enough sense of urgency/hunger. Perhaps this comes from lots of Rioters making truckloads of money when Tencent bought the company, but whatever it is, it feels like there is too much complacency.

4. Some Rioters lack a sense of appreciation. Some Rioters, particularly those who have never worked a "real job," do not seem to appreciate what Riot offers them. Most jobs do not offer free lunch and dinner, allow you to play games at work, unlimited free specialty coffee drinks, basketball court on campus, etc., and some Rioters really take these things for granted rather than treating them as privileges that should not be abused.

Advice to Management

It's truly an exciting time to work at Riot. The new management team has talked about changes that will happen in 2018. They all sound great. Go make them happen.

9. "Career growth and gaming"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Riot has grown a great deal in both scope and maturity since I started. It's been really nice to be able to continue to contribute to all of the above. Riot gives you a ton of individual freedom and you are encouraged to take ownership of things you care about from tech decisions to game design to people. Being a gamer among gamers is amazing, you are able to deeply understand and work on a shared passion together.

Cons

Work life balance has been a challenge at times, mostly since my peers end up doing it to ourselves - we choose to go the extra mile which has some costs. Hiring is also very slow. This is a deliberate decision to ensure that Riot hires people who will be successful here, however it has the side effect of frustrating teams and hiring managers. There is also a large disparity in the bench of senior leaders across the different disciplines which is frustrating. If you come from a larger or more mature organization you will be surprised and or frustrated. The pace of change is slow.

Advice to Management

Ask more of senior leadership, tolerate much less in terms of results. Empower lower levels of leadership and teams to be more accountable. Improve hiring speed.

10. "An amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place has an outrageous amount of wonderful people. Sure, there are always exceptions to the rule (and some pretty extreme ones), but overall I have never felt treated with as much respect and felt as valued as I do at Riot Games. Empathy is everywhere. I was on the fence between 4 and 5 stars, but this tips me over.

People here are really passionate about the product.

Work-life balance is outstanding.

There are few barriers to getting things done despite our size, i.e. bureaucracy hasn't caught up with us yet and that's great.

Cons

Primarily, I would say the biggest problem is that Riot simply doesn't pay well. While the gaming industry is apparently this way as a whole, the reality is that we are competing for talent against the Bay Area when it comes to engineering, PM roles, etc., and banks and consultancies on the business functions side, and our compensation rates make this extremely difficult.

Beyond that, the one issue I come across is that people in different teams and parts of the org are now actually quite unaligned on our core values. Not because we disagree with them, but because the interpretation is fluid and on a spectrum. We need better definitions for them.

Advice to Management

Launch our next games. Stop trying to perfect them while the market moves ahead. It is virtually guaranteed that they will not be as big as League - that's OK!

Surprise - raise compensation. If we want to become more efficient and faster, we need the best talent, and we are missing out right now.