Riot Games "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Riot Games Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Product - Poor work/life balance"

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The game is amazing and it's been a pleasure to work on it. The company makes an effort to keep the opportunities open for all employees for new ideas and collaboration. You are surrounded by passionate people, who are truly dedicated to what they do. Overall people with entrepreneurial mindset fit in the best.

Cons

Passion sometimes can also be a con, and here I noticed that it was hurting the work/life balance aspect. It was nearly frowned upon for you to come in on time and walk out of the office on time - crazy work hours were a "social norm".

"This is a great place to be in Gaming today"

Current Employee - Localization QA Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Localization QA Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Riot Games is a fantastic company, and I feel privileged to be part of this team. I’m surrounded by some of the brightest people I’ve ever met, and I’m constantly being pushed off my comfort zone by the type of challenges and problems we’re solving on a daily basis. It feels like a truly unique place in Gaming created by Gamers.

So, what’s so special about it? Let me try to break it down by sections.

Career opportunities:

Riot Games promotes open feedback culture and the notion of continuous self-development. It feels that you're the sole owner of your success here due to the flat structure and how much freedom each Rioter is given. Everyone is encouraged to share their ideas, provide feedback and challenge the established notions. Though, to be fair, this is harder and harder to do due to the rapid growth of the company. Empowerment is a key word here - everyone is given the opportunity to solve problems and think creatively without being micromanaged. It's very common to hear that we "hire to elevate" so that each new hire always pushes the bar higher, or at the very least this is the genuine intent. As a result, there are many opportunities to learn and get coaching from some of the brightest people in the industry today.

The company facilitates multiple personal development resources to all Rioters (formal training, certifications, assessments, 1on1s, development plans, mentorship opportunities). Every Rioter can sign-up to a training course with the approval from a manager. And so far in my experience, this is highly encouraged.

Compensation & Benefits:

In my experience, the Compensation is according to the market standards. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower depending on the role and the priority that the company puts into certain areas. For example, Engineering is a high priority area for Riot, so it’s reflected in compensation. Other areas in % terms may be closer to a market standard.

Of course, you can’t disconnect compensation from the cost of living. The reality, Riot Central campus is located in Santa Monica - an expensive area, so it’s something to consider when relocating from the outside. I recommend doing a thorough research on rent, transportation routes, and general expenses before committing to a decision to move.

The benefits outside of salary are numerous and include standard things like private health care, dental care, eye care, free food, and snacks but also numerous not so usual benefits such as travel allowance, gaming allowance and gym subsidizing.

But most importantly I feel that the company cares about me as individual and valuing my contribution and provides numerous opportunities to learn and develop my skills. To me, this is the biggest benefit of being part of Riot.

Work / Life balance:

Riot Games is filled with passionate people who deeply care about what they do and feel committed to delivering player value. The company’s culture is very appealing if you’re a gamer and often I found myself volunteering my time because I wanted to get something done. And I know many Rioters do the same even if the company doesn’t technically demand that special commitment from you.

I believe that you own that relationship with the company 100%. After about one year with Riot, I learned how to manage my Work / Life balance better. So, in the end, I think it comes down to the individual to decide how much of that personal time you want to dedicate.

Now, my line of work doesn’t demand weekend work for example. If you’re in Esports or some Live Services functions, it may not be the same. Riot is big now; multiple functions demand different work schedules, overtime, and commitments from Rioters.

Senior Management:

The leadership team is stacked with some of the smartest people I’ve ever met. It’s not uncommon to see legendary game industry veterans walking in the halls of the Central Campus. Now, it goes without saying that Riot isn’t free from politics, as any big organization filled with humans and not robots. That said, I think that the leadership “walks the walk” when it comes to our core values and being laser focused on our audience.

Cons

Growing pains:

It comes without saying that not everything is sunshine and rainbows here. I know that Riot Games isn’t the company for everyone. This culture can be welcoming to many but also very hostile to some. I read some reviews that were saying this is like a boys club. And I can see where those reviewers are coming from. This is the company built by Gamers for Gamers. If you’re not part of the Gaming community, it’s likely you won’t find your place here.

The explosive growth led to some pains that come with it. Our processes, tools, and practices often lack rigor or don’t scale well with a fast-paced and growing organization. This means, tons of growing pains and hard choices that we need to make. But it also means opportunities for people to adapt, change roles and expand the scope are ever more present.

The hiring bar today isn’t what it was 5 or even two years ago. As a result, we have people who only experienced Riot as their first employer or took on areas that they weren’t prepared or had experience in. This led to Rioters taking on responsibilities and challenges they weren’t necessarily ready for or had an adequate support. In some cases, it worked out, but in others, it led to some painful outcomes for the organization and Rioters involved in those situations. I think we’re trying to address this and I noticed that over the last year and a half we increased our focus on hiring Industry superstars without compromising our core values.

- Sarkhan Lyutfaliev

Advice to Management

Make sure you do not surround yourself with the "Yes-Men". Strive to stay connected with the company and the regular Rioters that don't have exposure to the leadership layers. Especially on the Regional level since our offices are now all over the world. As we continue expanding on a global scale, it's important that we preserve our culture not just in the Central Campus but globally.

"Good place for young, passionate people"

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Extremely passionate team
    Open environment where everyone can contribute and own problems

Cons

Lots of inexperienced people in management roles
    Poor work-life balance, you can work for months without rest
    There are still some issues with sexism in the workplace
    Poor performance management

Riot Games Response

Jun 26, 2017 – Sarah Kaehn - Talent Partner

Thanks for taking a moment to share these thoughts! We're always in pursuit of new ways to help Rioters reach balance. This approach led to workspaces designed to help Rioters unwind, time during the... More

"Amazing place without a care in the world"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FREE FOOD: Best cafeteria ever + coffee house + Smoothie bar + stocked kitches. Incredible quality and variety of meals, drinks and snacks.

TALENT: Riot hires the best and brightest people in the industry so every team has some incredible talent.

EMPOWERMENT: The vast majority of Rioters (employees) feel strong ownership of their work and is able to come up with solutions to most of their problems and challenges.

COLLABORATIVE: There is very little hierarchy at Riot. We default to teams work together to tackle challenges over leadership dictating. Managers and Leads push the high level goals but rarely tell people what to do in the micro, tactical space. While gameplay is king, all disciplines are treated as equal game developers.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: No tracked PTO. In most cases, people can take as much or little time as they need off. Crunch is very rare at Riot.

Cons

SLOW: There is almost zero sense of urgency across most of Riot. With the talent and resources this company has, we should be able to deliver 5x the amount of content we do to players. Teams can literally spin forever with little to no accountability or need to deliver.

COMPLACENCY: Due to the seemingly infinite budget and lack of accountability, this company breeds complacency. Lack of necessity kills hunger and we are getting very full.

LACK OF FOCUS: We have too many teams doing too many things with little results. Instead of being the focused deathstar laser that can crush any target, we are firing pea shooters in 100 directions hoping to hit something.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to push for "genre defining". This statement means nothing will ever be good enough because everyone is chasing a moving target. Just focus on giving players good products and we can iterate and update live.

Stop hiring and force real milestones with results. We have very smart and talented people who will come up with amazing solutions when they are forced to prioritize and work without unlimited resources.

Or don't change a thing. Everyone loves working at Riot and the company is incredibly successful. Its a beautiful creativity oasis in the brutal desert of game development. A perfect place to retire.

"Fun, Challenging, & Exhausting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Gaming at work is normal
    - Regularly challenged to grow and learn
    - Great mentoring opportunities
    - Lots of super awesome friendly people
    - You're provided anything you need
    - Lots of free amenities
    - Feedback is welcome and encouraged
    - Unlimited vacation and sick days (with manager approval)
    - Freedom to be yourself & dress how you want
    - Nerf gun wars are real and fun

Cons

- Lots of type A personalities, can be hard to keep up with the status quo if you aren't one yourself.
    - Performance expectations are very high, like a professional sports team. If you aren't performing up to par you can get put on a PIP (performance improvement plan) and eventually let go.
    - (Work/Life balance difficulties) On some teams it's normal to come in early, stay late, work weekends, holidays, and be part of an on-call rotation. They'll say that you're only obligated to work 40 hours per week, but those 40 could be overlapping with your personal life and you're expected to be willing to sacrifice it to make meetings and keep work moving forward. In reality it's not uncommon to work 50-60+ hour weeks.
    - Apparently bonuses are "already baked into your salary" but I was still severely underpaid and found it very challenging to negotiate for a raise beyond the normal 2% per year.
    - Interview process can be grueling and a large majority of the candidates are rejected because they wouldn't fit into the culture or aren't the absolute perfect fit that they're looking for. This leads to many teams being undermanned and overworked.
    - Lots of "kool-aid" in the culture
    - If you aren't obsessed with League and LCS you'll have a hard time clicking with others.

Advice to Management

Take those conversations about compensation and burn-out seriously.

"Jekyll and Hyde"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

- Passionate people
    - Company for gamers
    - Benefits/Food are unparalleled
    - Lots of opportunities to develop if you are right out of college

Cons

- The illusion of a “flat structure” needs to stop. The company does not operate in a flat structure. It just doesn't so please stop saying it does. Accountability is a big issue at the company, recognition for hard work goes unnoticed and the wrong people end up getting scapegoated because of this illusion.

- Leadership is not unified on the goals of the company and everyone is acting in their own interests. Efforts are scattered and an alarming amount of waste in resources and energy happens across the company on a daily bases. This is why so many people are complaining about long hours and difficulty in work/life balance even though the company is bloated with too many employees. You don't need more employees, you need better leaders that lead by example.

- Communication is poor and duplicate efforts with leaders that are at odds with each other can be found across the organization. There is little transparency and many decisions without explanation or well thought out plans for how to fully implement them are made.

- Subversive bullying is reinforced. Women, transgender and introverted Rioters get the brunt of this behavior and are frequently bullied by loud stereotypical alpha personalities. When the outliers complain or seek assistance in a difficult situation they are dismissed by leadership as not having what it takes to be a Rioter because they are not fixing the problem themselves.

Advice to Management

My rating for Riot sits on the low end for places to work because of how extreme and volatile of a place it is to work. Any place that is this extreme is not healthy. The majority of employees at Riot are great people the problem is coming from your day to day leads. The nepotism is destroying your culture and leads are overwhelmingly unqualified and arrogant. Audit your leaders and make true accountability a priority.

Riot Games Response

Nov 1, 2016

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I'm Alice Reeb from the Talent Partner team at Riot and our work is focused on making Riot a safe and productive workplace for all Rioters. Your statements regarding... More

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros

Riot is a great place to work. The company really takes care of its employees, office is awesome, and there are many awesome perks such as free food and drinks, great equipment, international travel multi times a year, company retreats and more. The culture is also amazing, people are really encouraged to give candid feedback and help you grow and develop as a professional. And of course, if you're a gamer, this is your place to be. Riot live by it's philosophy of being the most player focused company in the world, meaning you have the autonomy to create great things that players will love, and see your work impacting people around the globe.

Cons

Work-life balance is nearly impossible, I'd say. Specially if you're working on some specific areas such as eSports and live shows, you'll be away from home and working around the clock a lot. Rioters working in regions outside the HQ in Los Angeles are seen as second class citizens, which is not nice at all.

Advice to Management

Keep the awesome culture. Let's explore products before it's too late. Make sure to pay attention to regional offices because 1) Culture is misinterpreted or non-existent some times; 2) Regional offices doesn't have strong craft development, so people feel like abandoned; 3) Let's give more opportunities for regional offices to interact and/or work in global projects/initiatives.

8. "Challenging but rewarding"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Riot Games (Less than a year)

Pros

I have to thank Riot Oceania for giving me one of the best opportunities I've ever had to advance my career and achieve my goals. I was a pretty scruffy candidate, all things considered, but they chose to believe in my potential nonetheless. They take their recruitment very, very seriously -- every single word on the website about their culture and values is 100% true. I really appreciated the honesty from the interviewers and recruiters at every stage of the process. It didn't feel like "are you good enough to tick these boxes", but rather "are you the right person for us, and are we the right company for you".

The work is so rewarding at Riot. As a League of Legends player of seven years, I really felt like every single thing I shipped added value to the game and to Oceanic players. People talk about Riot OCE as an Australian arm of the company, and I think that's a pretty good way to sum it up. The office banter is great, most people there are gamers like you (hopefully you're a gamer or I'd think hard about whether you really want to work for a games company!), and feedback is always welcome and available.

You'll also have a lot of opportunities to pick up other skills while at Riot. Although Rioters can come off as a little irreverent about including you in their own projects, you can relax knowing that they're always coming from the right place -- they believe you can add value, and they're really happy to work with you.

The office is awesome. I drank more orange juice and consumed more Shin Ramyun in my time at Riot than the rest of my life put together. Being able to play games at work is a neat bonus that actually helps you do your job better too (although I limited my Dota 2 time to after hours...).

Cons

I can't speak for others, but for my position, there really wasn't much in the way of work/life balance. Ultimately that's why I decided to leave. But retrospectively, I think it was only this way because I was so committed to Riot's mission that I gave too much of myself to it. Riot do their best (within reason) to get you to your important family events, soccer games, church, whatever, but sometimes the nature of the job just doesn't allow for it.

The training could be better. I came in with a bit of a lopsided statsheet, and it took me ages to get up to scratch with the other aspects of the job that I wasn't experienced in. It was partly on me because I didn't ask for enough help, but I still feel that I was underequipped for my first few months.

It can be frustrating working for a regional office like Sydney, too. You join Riot wanting to be a hero for the players, but once you learn about and understand all the things that are holding Riot back from getting stuff out the door, you feel awful whenever you see a player asking for something that you personally can't deliver on (without sacrificing your personal time).

Advice to Management

Gave all the advice in my exit interview, but keep at it and stay true to Riot values.

"LOL != Fun times"

Pros

Good pay, usually good work/life balance. Great new campus in Santa Monica. Free lunches from a very good cafeteria. Get paid to play the game.

Cons

Management seems down on relational database technology in general, attitude is to move everything to NoSQL technology. General lack of understanding of how database systems work (e.g. statefull vs non-statefull nature of db's.) makes it difficult to implement and provide on going support or improvements to data engineering. Beyond that there is a premadonna wall amongst many of the engineers that impedes progressive creative engineering solutions.

Advice to Management

Keep reorganizing the engineering teams and never allow the engineers to gain technical depth. Also be sure to implement the next hottest tech that comes out of the tubes.

10. "Support"

Pros

Great Company for smart college students

Cons

work life balance can be challenging

Advice to Management

need more seasoned