Riot Games "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

Riot Games Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Family"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

I work with some incredible and talented people. They are all (company wide) like family. We strive to give the best that we can and it shows.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be tricky.

"Not the place as It's advertised."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Istanbul (Turkey)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Istanbul (Turkey)

I worked at Riot Games full-time

Pros

- Continuous development opportunities for products.
    - Total given trust at what you're doing in almost all departments.
    - Equipment and technical needs are not a problem.
    - International shadowing opportunities.

Cons

- Senior management tends to hire people as Rioters fast that are not even gamers or tries to recruit within the company just cause they urgently need someone to fill the position as they have other plans in mind, which literally leads to a corruption of values.
    - Management to employee communication is so bad that, by just telling needs and asking for requests is seen as a communication.
    - You'll be asked to wear one hat but will be manipulated into performing for three.
    - Career opportunities are blocked by managers and only been advertised in the company when there is an urgent need for it.
    - Mobbing in forms of re-positioning without asking or talking, being isolated from projects on purpose without reason nor consent, asking for overworking, not listening nor caring about serious complaints, chitchatting in an unprofessional way are real and condoned by upper management.
    - So called Riot values are simply not valued nor believed in the company, you can feel alone just by trying to live by them.
    - "Being agile" and Rioter code is being abused as a tool for justification of things that are wrong from the beginning.
    - Work/Life balance is a joke.

Advice to Management

- Stop thinking you know what is going on and remove those "you're in control of everything" glasses.

- Focus really on your people first then your business. It may earn you less but will strengthen your roots.

- Of course control your worldwide offices starting from central in terms of relations and people management.

- People are your best investment, don't let other so called Rioters ruin their careers, talent and attitude.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Insight Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Insight Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Riot is a place that tries to aspire to always be better--it's a mindset that I resonate with and what drew me to the company. Although we can be bad at things, if pointed out, we try to make it better and that's the expectation.

+Feedback culture
    +Good people
    +Company perks

Cons

-We struggle at times with work life balance
    -A bit slow-moving and some fear of failure

Advice to Management

Keep paying attention to people and team, don't fear failure, take risks, and invest well.

"Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Smart, talented and professional colleagues. I work on a team at Riot where every single person is smart, talented and professional. I find that most Rioters I interact with outside of my team also possess these qualities.

2. Big impact. I get constant satisfaction knowing that our collective work impacts the 100 million+ people that play League of Legends each month. That's a lot of joy to bring to the world.

3. Work/life balance. Riot has an amazing work/life balance. I feel so lucky.

4. Compensation. Speaking for my job anyway, compensation is top of the market.

5. Senior leadership. I usually agree with our senior leadership. When I don't agree, I feel comfortable expressing my disagreement without fear of reprisal. I also have confidence that they will take us in the right direction.

6. Company culture. Riot is a great place for gamers. It has a focus on hiring gamers and always thinks about putting the player experience first. As a hardcore gamer, I really appreciate this and find that it adds additional meaning to my work.

Cons

1. Lack of future leadership identification/growth program. Riot doesn't yet have a program or process for identifying future leaders and ensuring their growth and development within the company. As a result, Riot risks losing top talent that cannot find ways to grow beyond their current role.

2. Lack of accountability. Too many Rioters aren't held accountable for poor decision-making. While this may be about to change, it hasn't yet.

3. Not enough sense of urgency/hunger. Perhaps this comes from lots of Rioters making truckloads of money when Tencent bought the company, but whatever it is, it feels like there is too much complacency.

4. Some Rioters lack a sense of appreciation. Some Rioters, particularly those who have never worked a "real job," do not seem to appreciate what Riot offers them. Most jobs do not offer free lunch and dinner, allow you to play games at work, unlimited free specialty coffee drinks, basketball court on campus, etc., and some Rioters really take these things for granted rather than treating them as privileges that should not be abused.

Advice to Management

It's truly an exciting time to work at Riot. The new management team has talked about changes that will happen in 2018. They all sound great. Go make them happen.

5. "Career growth and gaming"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Riot has grown a great deal in both scope and maturity since I started. It's been really nice to be able to continue to contribute to all of the above. Riot gives you a ton of individual freedom and you are encouraged to take ownership of things you care about from tech decisions to game design to people. Being a gamer among gamers is amazing, you are able to deeply understand and work on a shared passion together.

Cons

Work life balance has been a challenge at times, mostly since my peers end up doing it to ourselves - we choose to go the extra mile which has some costs. Hiring is also very slow. This is a deliberate decision to ensure that Riot hires people who will be successful here, however it has the side effect of frustrating teams and hiring managers. There is also a large disparity in the bench of senior leaders across the different disciplines which is frustrating. If you come from a larger or more mature organization you will be surprised and or frustrated. The pace of change is slow.

Advice to Management

Ask more of senior leadership, tolerate much less in terms of results. Empower lower levels of leadership and teams to be more accountable. Improve hiring speed.

6. "An amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place has an outrageous amount of wonderful people. Sure, there are always exceptions to the rule (and some pretty extreme ones), but overall I have never felt treated with as much respect and felt as valued as I do at Riot Games. Empathy is everywhere. I was on the fence between 4 and 5 stars, but this tips me over.

People here are really passionate about the product.

Work-life balance is outstanding.

There are few barriers to getting things done despite our size, i.e. bureaucracy hasn't caught up with us yet and that's great.

Cons

Primarily, I would say the biggest problem is that Riot simply doesn't pay well. While the gaming industry is apparently this way as a whole, the reality is that we are competing for talent against the Bay Area when it comes to engineering, PM roles, etc., and banks and consultancies on the business functions side, and our compensation rates make this extremely difficult.

Beyond that, the one issue I come across is that people in different teams and parts of the org are now actually quite unaligned on our core values. Not because we disagree with them, but because the interpretation is fluid and on a spectrum. We need better definitions for them.

Advice to Management

Launch our next games. Stop trying to perfect them while the market moves ahead. It is virtually guaranteed that they will not be as big as League - that's OK!

Surprise - raise compensation. If we want to become more efficient and faster, we need the best talent, and we are missing out right now.

7. "Amazing company, but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture: When Riot speaks about putting player experience first, it's no joke. There are never conversations around "How do we make the most money?". The Riot Manifesto is actually embodied at the company and not just thrown on the website to lure people in.

Tech Challenges: Not many companies have the kind of scale that Riot deals with. The engineering challenges presented are difficult but fun to work on.

Flexible Schedule: Healthy work-life balance makes it easy to fit in things like doctor's appointments, or to shift your work hours so you can try to avoid traffic.

Benefits: Free food. Video games time during the day.

Cons

Los Angeles: Living here isn't cheap, and the traffic is honestly the worst I've ever experienced in my life. Living closer to the office tends to be much more expensive.

Hiring: Hiring is SLOW. Part of the reason for this is that there is an extremely high bar for what makes a Rioter, but it can be frustrating on both ends. Internally when you're on a team, it can be hard to get the people you need, and externally it's frustrating when each stage of the process takes a while. This IS getting better, but it's still far from perfect.

Immature talent: Not everyone wants to work at a video game company, and a large portion of Riot's talent pool are fresh graduates. While many are great, there are also a non-trivial number who stretch "work-life balance" too far. There is a joke of "Riot Time", where people routinely show up to meetings 5 minutes late. If you're used to a more structured and organized company, this can be somewhat tilting. While Riot values feedback culture, there isn't much whip-cracking.

Growing pains: Flat organizational structure doesn't work well when you start to hit 3k people. As the company shifts to having more hierarchy there are definitely pains, but it's overall a positive direction for the company.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on the growing pains, and don't allow bad actors to spoil the work environment for those who want to hit deadlines.

"Product Support Lead"

Former Employee - Everyone Has Their Own Job Title At Riot in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Everyone Has Their Own Job Title At Riot in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most everthing; the benefits, the culture, the work. All great.

Cons

If you don't want your life to be work, then work-life balance. Also, inner-politics ahoy.

Advice to Management

"Perception is everything" rings way too true here. Too much time spent appeasing stakeholders (ie your manager) with petty tasks to do meaningful work.

"Great Product - Poor work/life balance"

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The game is amazing and it's been a pleasure to work on it. The company makes an effort to keep the opportunities open for all employees for new ideas and collaboration. You are surrounded by passionate people, who are truly dedicated to what they do. Overall people with entrepreneurial mindset fit in the best.

Cons

Passion sometimes can also be a con, and here I noticed that it was hurting the work/life balance aspect. It was nearly frowned upon for you to come in on time and walk out of the office on time - crazy work hours were a "social norm".