Rise Interactive Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.9
Rise Interactive Founder & CEO Jon Morris
Jon Morris

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company culture is eclectic and electric (in 11 reviews)

• My first few weeks working here I learned more about digital marketing than I did in the past year combined (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Other reviewers have stated it - work/life balance is basically non-existent (in 11 reviews)

• While this creates amazing opportunities, it also sometimes create growing pains (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rise is a fast growing company, and people who are willing to take ownership of their accounts and deliver for clients consistently flourish here. The experience you gain at Rise is extremely valuable. Rise is 100% a meritocracy. Results and data speak for themselves. Rise is also an amazing place for smart people with an entrepreneurial spirit. Employees are positioned to own a book of business and grow the business. The only limiting factor is your desire to learn and take on more responsibility. Management truly cares about all employees, and there is a consistent track record to listening and responding to employee feedback. There are employee engagement surveys and weekly feedback programs that all help to inform and shape priorities for making Rise a better place to work.

Cons

Rise is growing extremely fast. While this creates amazing opportunities, it also sometimes create growing pains.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the feedback from employees. Maintaining a culture of excellence at all levels and being responsive to opportunities to improve will be critical to continued success.

"Work hard and grow your career at Rise"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I did not write this review to be a direct response to any of the recent reviews, but where appropriate I will provide another point of view that perhaps some of the former Risers who weren’t with the company as long did not find the opportunity to understand. Not to say what was said isn’t valid, but there are additional perspectives to consider. I’ll also compare Rise to what I’ve heard from peers in other agencies. I have not worked at another agency before, so my insight is limited only to what I know and what I’ve been told by friends at other agencies.
    There are easy tangibles to identify as pros of working at Rise: 18 days PTO (currently bumps up after 5 years with the company), paid company holidays, work from home flexibility when needed, 401K match (not best in the industry, but we’re still a growing company), student loan assistance, plenty of snacks, holiday party and employee appreciation day, and such.
    But when asked what do I like at my job, here’s what I say:
    • The people that I get to work with are super smart. At every level and in every role of the company, Risers are sharp and interesting people. They’re fun to work with, quick to laugh, but also dependable and hard-working teammates that constantly make me think “I would not have been able to solve that problem without ____.” When you spend all day surrounded by people you genuinely enjoying working with and spending time with, it’s easy to look forward to a day in the office. The excitement we have for our work on a day-to-day basis is contagious.
    • From day one as an entry-level employee, the work I’ve gotten to do is more strategic than any of my previous experiences. Rise teaches and empowers you to think like a business owner, and view marketing as a vehicle to drive business outcomes. We’re not just digital marketers -- we’re business strategists, and we have that level of partnership with many of our clients. We work together to understand who our client’s customers are, their purchase journey, the products/services would resonate with customers, the potential weaknesses of the offering, etc. I could go on & on, but I’ll just say that I feel lucky every day to be put in roles where I’m able to think this way and build/execute strategies that I believe in.
    • Senior management cares a great deal about its employees. There have been statements in previous reviews about layoffs, and I think it’s important to recognize that letting employees go is a healthy and necessary part of running a business. Rise doesn’t take these decisions lightly, and has programs in place before a termination happens to explain the employee’s performance and provide a roadmap for improvement. Rise is an intense culture, and nobody is doing anybody any favors by keeping folks around who may not be performing at the level needed to be happy and successful in their careers. It’s easy for a former employee to tell their side of the story on Glassdoor, but senior management inherently can’t publicly address the reasoning for every hiring or termination decision that is made.
    • Compared to other agency experiences, here are the biggest differences I see:
    o At Rise you likely will work on multiple accounts. This gives you varied experience and job security as your employment is typically not dependent on one client. This also means that your workday can become hectic when unexpected needs arise across multiple accounts. This is reality of the job, and it can be stressful. That said, working at Rise has forced me to work on myself and stress management, and as a result I’m the most happy and balanced version of myself I’ve ever been.
    o If you work hard, you’ll have the opportunity to advance quickly. Like any company, promotions are not solely merit-based, as they are also dependent on the state of the business at a given point in time. That said, based on what I’ve heard from friends in other agencies, it sounds like you can be waiting much longer to see a promotion in other places. With a lot of hard work, I have experienced promotions and expanded responsibility at a pace I could not have achieved anywhere else.
    o The final comments I want to respond to are about external senior hires and internal middle management. Rise has successfully brought on many seasoned professionals with 10+ years experience in the past year to take on VP and Director roles across the organization. Senior leadership wants to build the best team possible – and that includes external hires and internal promotions. Yes, some of the middle managers have fewer years’ experience and have been promoted internally. Yes, that means they are going to make mistakes. Rise runs by a learning culture where failure is a part of learning. If you are looking for / expecting a work environment where the kinks have all been worked out, you will likely be unhappy at Rise. This doesn’t mean Rise is a bad place to work – but it is a better cultural match is for people who are comfortable with a changing environment and excited by the opportunity to contribute to and shape how processes develop. With all of these growing pains comes opportunity to lead improvement initiatives and have a real say in how our company evolves.

Cons

Yes, there are challenges in growing at the rate that Rise has grown, and at times there are internal conflicts and silos... just like at any other company.
    • Working at Rise is hard. The expectations are high, the staff is lean at times, and the work is demanding and challenging. For those looking for a 9-5, you will likely be unhappy at Rise. This means the environment can be stressful, and work/life balance becomes challenging during times of high workload. However, this translates to meaningful work and those who thrive at Rise find their hard work rewarding. That said, 12 hour days do not last forever, and managers are reasonable and flexible recognizing the need to find ways to make the workload manageable. Hours are not fixed, and you have control over how to get the work done. Basically: you should come to Rise expecting to work hard. If you enjoy tackling challenges with a group of motivated coworkers, you’ll find the cyclical harder hours are very much worth it.
    • The lack of process at times can be frustrating. Communication challenges across teams can be frustrating. The reason I see this as less extreme than the reviews indicate is because I believe Rise’s issues in these areas are on par with what you would encounter in most professional situations. Rise has found growth and success by hiring people who would rather work together to fix an identified issue than complain about it.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your employees to do great work. Continue your work keeping a pulse on employee engagement -- it means a lot to those of us who recognize the effort it takes.

"Pretending to be the Best"

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time

Pros

There are several opportunites for growth if you're a caucasian male.

Cons

There are few opportunites for growth if you're not a caucasian male. Work loads are heavy. No respect for life after work. With the exception of free snacks, pay and benefits are mediocre.

"High Turnover"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great snacks, kitchen area, nap pods, etc.

Cons

People are let go for no reason, and often without notice. There is no formal action plan or attempt to give them a heads up. The company hired a lot of new people since I started, but I didn't realize it was because they also let a lot of people go until more recently. I am shocked that the company doesn't invest more into trying to retain current employees. As a result of that, I will be looking for another more permanent job.

Advice to Management

Take the high road and try to coach employees rather than letting them go when things aren't going the way you expect.

"Definitely the worst job I've ever had, by a very large margin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rise's benefits package is legitimately great. Ample PTO, if you can actually take it (most people I know at Rise have been required to work while on PTO at some point). Health coverage is *very* good. The benefits almost make up for salaries that lag well behind market.

Aside from Account Management and Sales teams, the people working in the trenches are smart, good, hardworking folks. It's a real tragedy they aren't treated as such.

Cons

Oh boy, where to begin. I'll start by saying that it's so terrible, there is literally an informal ex-Riser emotional support network. Rise leaves a mark on you, and it's not a good one.

I'm an experienced, highly skilled professional with several years of experience in my field (technical, not marketing). Rise management treated me like an intern and set up a relationship with Account Management that made them treat me like an intern as well.

Account Management regularly lies to people about deadlines and urgency in order to manipulate workflow to their advantage. This is not only accepted, but encouraged by Rise's culture. People who've been around for more than a couple of years react to the behavior with a shrug, saying, "That's just the Rise Way! You'll learn to tell when you're being lied to eventually."

Buck-passing and backstabbing are the cultural norm.

Doing quality work is a vice, not a virtue, at Rise. Those who are willing to play the social game a turn out a crappy product are rewarded as team players. Those who are unwilling to compromise their professional integrity by fabricating data or willingly turning out a subpar product are told they need to get on board with the Rise Way.

I have heard more than one story about the President telling people "you need to grow up" upon being faced with an employee complaint. On one of these occasions, the complaint was, "My immediate supervisor berated and screamed at me in front of my colleagues." Unacceptable attitude from leadership.

Middle management is too weak, non-confrontational, and/or disempowered to fight on behalf of their employees.

Most managers are inexperienced, promoted up to management positions before being ready as a retention move in light of a very heavy recent wave of departures. In the Innovation team (which is a really strange name for a team that avoids innovating at all costs), there are 2.7 managers per employee, leading to a culture of extreme wasteful micromanagement.

Project timelines are dictated by account managers and sales teams who have unreasonable expectations for how long things take. I was asked on multiple occasions to turn work around in 3 days that should have taken 6 weeks. Despite the fact that this is a regular occurrence, leadership explicitly refuses to implement measures to more appropriately scope out work before promises are made.

Employees are regularly asked to do things that I personally consider dishonest. Example: "Leave positive reviews for client X on this website." "Rise has had some bad glassdoor reviews recently. We need you to go leave a positive review to offset it." "I can't give my client that number. Can't you just make up a different one?"

The office environment is as noisy as a busy restaurant on a Friday night. It's impossible to think, much less work. There are rows and rows of identical cafeteria tables that people are crammed into like cattle.

Being seen at your desk early in the day and late in the evening is more heavily rewarded than doing good work. I didn't do this, but I know of more than one person whose entire job strategy was to be seen at their desk while actually doing no work.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like property. Take Account Management to task for how they treat people. Stop telling your employees to "grow up" when they're dissatisfied by an extremely toxic culture that was created by *you*. Four different employees who have been at Rise for more than three years all independently expressed to me that the downward turn in Rise's culture began in August 2016, when a number of moves were made in the executive team. You do the math. (Do you know how to do math? By the way misleading numbers are thrown around at Rise, I'm not convinced you do.)

"Chaos, challenges, and opportunities as Rise tries to grow up"

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Energetic and fun company. Great culture. A lot of opportunities for the right person in the right role/situation.

Pretty great benefits: very reasonably priced health (BCBS), vision, and dental insurance (with HRA and HSA options), no cost short and long term disability and life insurance, tuition reimbursement, student loan assistance ($50/month paid to your lender if you sign up), FSA and pre-tax commuter options through Wageworks, 401k match, 18 PTO days, 10 paid holidays, 4 months paid maternity/paternity leave, ability to work from home. Pay is average, but depends on role and experience.

Great location at Madison and Wacker, only a few minutes walk to Metra stations. Recently remodeled office. The building has a gym and Rise pays the total cost of membership. There are some arcade games and a Foosball table.

Lots of little perks and extras. Free snacks (chips, veggies, fruit, snack mixes, granola bars, ect) and drinks (coffee, tea, milk, juice) provided daily. Beer Fridays: the office has 5 taps and has a pretty good rotation of craft beers; wine is also available. Company sponsored happy hours. The Christmas party rivals most wedding receptions. Rise Day in the summer is a company party during the workday with food, drink, and games. Some other examples: office day off for the Cubs World Series parade, March Madness games on projectors, Halloween costume contest, office Olympics, and company sponsored sports.

In general, Rise employees are pretty smart and capable. The interviews process is stringent. The counterpoint to mention is book smarts don’t always translate to leadership ability or business acumen; see the Cons section.

The CEO seems to genuinely be a good guy and cares about his employees. He’s involved in a lot of the day-to-day stuff and frequently speaks and answers questions at company-wide meetings.

Rise’s recruiters are some of the best I have ever seen. They’re honest, respond very quickly, and work hard to get positions filled as fast as possible.

Most get a dual monitor set-up and the laptops are pretty good machines. Technology stack is modern (cloud-based, Google apps, Python, .NET, Spark, Kafka, Slack, various Big Data tools, agile methodology) and Rise partners with a lot of the big players in the industry Google, Adobe, ect. Not a lot of red-tape in terms of being able to try and implement something completely new.

Rise is getting bigger and more nationally known clients and was featured in the 2016 Forrester Wave for search marketing agencies. Good opportunities for names, tools, and experience on your resume.

There’s no formal review or goal process, so you and your manager don’t get stuck with a lot of busy-work a few times a year. You have weekly meetings with your direct manager and those are supposed to be constant mini-reviews for performance (your mileage may vary, my manager never discussed my performance or goals, just was a weekly check-in). This might be a con for some folks, with such a young crowd and so much change, some could probably benefit from formal reviews and goals.

Cons

The few downsides of the benefits: the 401k match is just 2.5% that vests over 5 years and some teams have PTO blackout periods around the holidays.

The big issue with Rise is the company grew too fast and didn’t have the processes, management, or people in place to really go to the next level and now it's a scramble...

Rise brands itself as a growing, tech company (like a hot start-up), but that’s a half-truth. Rise is still hiring, but there have been targeted layoffs (some without severance) and natural attrition (2 people leave, replaced with 1). You can't take anything in the job description as a guarantee for more than a few months.

The company has been in business for 12 years, but it more than doubled in size within the last few years. Rise promoted a lot of internal employees to lead/mid-management roles, and for most, they’ve never worked at that level or had that much responsibility before. Glass half full: Rise believes in its employees and allows them to grow into their role. Half empty: decision makers are learning on the fly and are simply out of their league. You’ll see some very smart, young leaders and many examples of the blind leading the blind. And Rise is not willing to pay a premium to entice experienced leaders into lateral moves.

There is really nothing in terms of career development/path or training and very, very few mentors. If you’re entry-level, you’ll be learning on the job anyway, so not a big deal. But for experienced positions, this is a red flag. Once you have basic proficiency at your job, the only other things Rise will do is encourage you to take some certifications or offer a corporate account to download training books or videos. Most of the leads and managers are just a few years ahead of the employees under them. Rise hardly has any employees with 10+ years of career experience or advanced education to really guide/mentor/help some one’s career development. They simply don’t have many with the ability to “sharpen the saw”.

Rise is cliquey and there’s an “in” crowd with management (just comes with the territory of inexperience). Knowing then what I know now, I would have gossiped more, cast more blame on others, put others’ mistakes in a bigger spotlight instead of trying to help them, and took much more credit for the work I was doing. Sad to say, but I really believe, being a jerk would have put me in a higher regard with management.

There is a lot of change, pivoting, and re-orgs. All goals are expressed as sales targets and everything is put in terms of doing a pitch or signing a contract. It simply leads to a lot of fire drills and constant pressure. You will be given last minute, urgent tasks when you have time off scheduled and are expected to complete everything as normal. You’ll notice after a while, no one ever bothers setting up their out-of-office reply. Unless you’re in the hospital or out of the country, approved time off and other pending assignments aren’t considered when tossing more work or deadlines at you.

The office is getting crowded and with the open floor concept, you only get about 4 feet of space on a long table with no dividers as your desk. Not very many meeting rooms or private areas and you can hear everything. Things get unprofessional and noisy.

Lots of communication silos for such a small company. And all project communication goes through product owners and management between departments, so you’re always wondering what gets lost in translation. You rarely have meetings with peers in different departments.

Lots of turnover. For as long as the company has been in business, not many employees have been there more than 2 years.

The HR processes could use some help. You have to pay close attention to your paycheck and benefit elections. Things take a while and mistakes happen.

Rise uses weekly anonymous surveys for employee engagement feedback, which I really liked at first. But then I started hearing examples of managers mentioning specific comments to their employees that made them. I don’t believe they’re actually anonymous.

Very little diversity, especially in management positions.

If I could give a rating for a type of person, I’d say a 4 for entry-level and a 1 for experienced professional. If you’re recently out of college, young, live in the city, and/or looking for an entry-level job, you’ll probably be very happy at Rise. You’ll get to do a lot quickly, gain good experience, and maybe advance more quickly than you would at another company. The bigger issues with Rise won’t affect you for some years. And you’ll probably love the environment and hang out with your co-workers outside of the office.

If you’re experienced, Rise is a big roll-of-the-dice. You may get in on something new, get the chance to build it from the ground up, and make the jump into management ahead of schedule. Or you may simply languish and get frustrated by frequent change, constant pressure, lack of career-path, and unqualified decision-makers. Then you realize describing how fun and cool the is office doesn't make a good bullet point for your resume.

Advice to Management

You need to stop anecdotally referring to the growing pains as positive indications of how things are going. Without the right management, organization, and processes in place, growing pains just become pains. Given the company is more than a decade old and has more than 200 employee, you need to stop making excuses for rookie mistakes and lack of knowledge/experience. Hire some experienced leads/mid-managers from the outside to buttress and grow the organization or seek consulting help.

Also, look at the last few years of Glassdoor reviews and you’ll see some patterns. Everyone loves the people, culture, benefits, and work. But they hate the chaos, pressure, lacking processes, and weak management. This saying rings very true: “People don’t quit their company, they quit their management.”

"You'll Regret Working Here"

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Good snack/fresh fruit selection
    * On-site gym
    * Beer Friday
    * Student loan assistance ($50 a month)
    * Occasional relaxation sessions

Cons

* Terrible place to work for experienced-hires, OK for those just out of college or if you have no other options
    * Multiple managers to report to with lots of micro-managment (lack of trust)
    * The planning for and direction of work changes frequently with lots of unnecessary drama and fire drills
    * Emphasis on time-tracking and number of hours worked with little regard for quality of work (if you're not working more than 50 hours a week, you're not working hard)
    * Layoffs or firings occur nearly every month (if your manager doesn't think you're an "A Player", you will be fired)
    * Company aggressively seeks to depress salaries (during the hiring process recruiters often tell candidates their minimum salary request is at the top of the salary range (it's not) to discourage negotiating, negotiating salary and getting a raise/promotion requires jumping through many bureaucratic hurdles)
    * It's not unusual to be asked to work during your scheduled vacations or weekends, in fact, it's somewhat expected
    * Open-office layout is loud and distracting, lack of available conference rooms means meetings are constantly moved around
    * Turnover and burnout are high - average tenure is less than a year
    * Benefits are below average for the industry (healthcare plans cover little and 401k match rate is low with 5-year vesting period)

Advice to Management

You've built a company with a toxic culture full of ineffective middle managers. Hopefully you can sell the company and cash-out before it catches up to you.

"Cool Workplace Hides Rise's True Colors - Talented Ambitious Professionals BEWARE!"

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time

Pros

-Free Food and Booze
    -Happy Hours
    -Really Cool Millennial Staff
    -CEO is such a nice guy
    -Casual dress

Cons

-Check your strategic opinions at the door - no one wants to hear it
    -Top performers are underpaid at all business units
    -Executive team shifts people around to new teams like pawns on a chess board
    -Toxic professional environment with high turnover
    -Lack of company Identity

Advice to Management

Rise is battling the law of complexity. The strategies that put Rise on the map are not the same ones that will take it to the next level. ADVICE: Hire at least one OUTSIDE executive with experience taking companies from 200 employees to 500.

"I like Rise and hope this review is irrelevant in 6 months"

Former Employee - Product Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Product Operations in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You can tell that people really do care, including upper management
    - The people, perks and team bonding activities really do make you feel wanted and part of the team
    - Big push on health and wellness (including free snacks that are really good IMO)
    - Really cool venue
    - Free gym membership in the building and the gym is great
    - Overall this place has been a big blessing for me.
    - HealthAdvocate (part of the benefits package) saved me THOUSANDS in medical billing. I highly recommend using this service to review any/every bill you may have the slightest question on
    - They were extremely accommodating for my on-going medical issues. I still put my work in but was able to WFH as needed
    - 20 days PTO was fantastic.

Cons

This is all constructive criticism and by no means intended to bash:

- The foundation in your day is 30 min to 1 hour meetings. It can be frustrating and momentum killing that your work often is blocked until you collaborate with others.

- It is VERY difficult to communicate and collaborate among other teams on projects. There are growing pains that every team is kind of like their own company ( different process, tools, procedures etc) so it can be hard to push things through. Often we need to pull in management from both teams and this slows many things down that should be simple

- I say this with hesitancy bc I think the leaders there really do care a lot and work extremely hard... but they are extremely busy and VERY difficult to get any time with if you try to communicate a problem or need help/insight. This results in them making decisions but really only knowing 15-20% of the full spectrum.

- ***I think I had a very unique situation bc I had multiple new bosses in a short time frame, so don't speak for the company by any means, but I had a very difficult time getting feedback or even a general roadmap of what to do on day-to-day. I emailed them an example of "Hey should I dedicate to doing this (give exact example)?" I would get "Let's wait until ___" or "Let me get back to you on this" or something that wasn't a black and white yes/no, do this instead.

-***Again, might only be unique to me : Rise promotes weekly manager meetings to let you know how you are performing, how you can get to the next level, etc and I never got these. I was pro-active asking for advice, sit-downs, guidance etc but because I had 4 boss changes and multiple team members come and go, the only person who would be able to offer insight on my work would be the CTO... but he is super busy as it is and I'm 3 layers down from him. I say this because there have been many situations in my time at Rise where i couldn't go to my boss, bosses boss (due to transitioning out or their newness) or the CTO (too busy) so I was left trying to work hard at without a map or sense of direction.

Advice to Management

I believe Rise is aware but the root issue of teams being unable/very messy working together needs more dedicated resources. It's unfortunate that people have been let go for reasons I believe were not their fault. They were stuck between a rock and a hard place due to these silo issues and the result was low quality work over a long period of time. They communicated this issues to whoever they could up the chain of command, but unfortunately these changes can't just be made over night and some good people were let go. Also, I think it goes without saying but having so many leadership changes when a current team is in place under them really makes things harder for the team.

"Room for growth if you want it, but can be a soul-crushing grind."

Current Employee - Senior Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Most of your co-workers are intelligent and competent.
    - Company growth means that there is room for advancement if you hustle.
    - Company culture is casual (dress code is relaxed, beer Fridays, etc.)

Cons

- Managers often look at hours clocked over than work accomplished.
    - The actual work you'll be doing as an IMC/SIMC on a channel team is often mind-numbingly and soul-crushingly tedious and repetitive.
    - Communication between account teams and channel teams is often not the greatest.

Advice to Management

For all that management goes on about the IIM philosophy, in day-to-day life channel and account teams are pitted against each other more than they collaborate.