Risk Management Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Risk Management Solutions Chief Executive Officer Hemant Shah
Hemant Shah

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is pretty bad (in 8 reviews)

• Large iniative to roll out new flagship product RMS One, bombed in Apri 2014 (in 12 reviews)

1. "Sinking ship"

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Free lunch once a week. Colleagues are amazing and super smart. Snack pantry and cereal at most locations.

Cons

Top management, middle management, technology knowledge all are horrendous, but top of industry in modeling. Seriously unable to put out a decent cloud based product, yet they keep throwing money at it. Layoffs occur in stealth mode. Entire offices are miserable.

Advice to Management

Take a break, take a good look at how miserable the majority of employees are, and listen to the clients! You throw around "client centricity" and yet don't listen to the clients. Oh, forgive me, you listen to the top 3 clients when they threaten to cancel. Hire a tech company to do the tech and stick to the modeling. Does anyone care how upset most clients are? Not the C level group, the ones actually using our products. This is a sinking ship and there will be no survivors.

2. "My experience: just a big name for civil engineers!"

Former Intern - PI Model Development in Newark, CA
    Former Intern - PI Model Development in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions as an intern

Pros

Nice location, modern office, free unhealthy snacks, free lunch once a week. Challenging and some interesting projects in the model development department to work on. Opportunity to learn if you are an eager learner.

Cons

Too much politics is going on in RMS: my direct manager expressed to another manager who was about to hire me that I have finished only two out of three assigned projects for some reasons while I did work till the last minute to deliver all he asked for. The environment is not that friendly and management style is to not-appreciate employees work to justify expecting more results in the next project. I personally encounter one insanely rude manager in an internal interview which was the worst part of my experience.

Advice to Management

The risk of a dramatic change in a catastrophe scenario can change the total loss more significantly than the accuracy of RMS models.

"Trust you Instincts"

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

RMS has valuable IP. The company could potentially make a lot of money for its investors.

Cons

When you talk to the senior management, trust your instincts.

Ask yourself if these seem like people who can run a functional organization. Ask yourself if it seems likely that they value their employees. There are a lot of very good people in the lower ranks, but when you consider working here remember that the senior management that sets the tone.

Trust your instincts.

Advice to Management

If I were the CEO, I would ask myself this: Given the wealth of qualified, intelligent people you've recruited to fill out the company, why is everything always late? Why can't the company get things done?

Does it seem likely to you that the PhDs with immense domain expertise and software experts who have succeeded elsewhere are the problem?

"Poorly Managed and Loves to Repeat Itself..."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch on Thursday, Smart People, Decent Pay

Cons

Very poor management, especially in the engineering and finance departments. Lots of interdepartment fighting and bickering. Management does not seem to care about their employees, and most of the good ones have left. Over 100 employees across the company have left in the last 1-2 months, many fed up with the politics and lack of accountability.

The culture is very poor and morale is at an all time low. If you are considering joining, consider elsewhere. They pay higher and have inflated titles because no one wants to work there. Beware. Read the other reviews and you'll see.

If they could just get their act together with some real leadership, they have so much potential.

"Light years away from innovation"

Former Employee - Analyst in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- free lunch once a week
    - gym on campus

Cons

Everything relies on outdated technology (everything is based on excel, no version control, no open source interest...) and the leaders are very happy with it. There is no push to improve this. If you want to be fluent in the in-house proprietary software, then it will be great. Otherwise, well, you're in the silicon valley, heart of technology innovation.

Advice to Management

Be at least open to taking risks and using technology that isn't 15 years old

"Politics heavy"

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

talented coworkers and good office environment

Cons

poor management and heavy politics

"CEO on a hamster's wheel !!"

Former Employee - Cloud Engineer in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Cloud Engineer in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay with good perks!

Cons

CEO has lost his mojo!
    Seems to be on a hamster's wheel now. Continues to rejig his team every 6 months but with same end result....no delivery of key cloud platform or increase in sales.
    The Service, Sales, and Cloud delivery teams are in complete disarray and DMGT will be well served now replacing the CEO for his failed execution.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like a hamster on a wheel.
    DMGT should take the tough call to replace the CEO!

"What the......You can't cut your way to growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great science, incredibily bight employees who care and a great mission.

Cons

The focus has become cost driven not growth and innovation. CEO needs to run the company not the CFO. The employees are taking the biggest hit. The CEO let the two executives, GC & HR Execs, who were the biggest employee advocates leave the company.

Advice to Management

Be clear about strategy. Start caring about the employees and talking to us. We are smarter than you give us credit for. You can't do it without us. Stay focused and don't over commit. Read these reviews..there is a trend.

"Embarrassment"

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

Lots of leisure time flexible hours around traffic hours
    Great pay depending on your position

Cons

High turnover rate, not a place were I would settle and make life decisions like getting a mortgage.
    Immaturity. No real solutions for the root cause of the problem that preexisted problem since problems ever began, that's because a particular person cannot fire themself, so fingerpoint.
    Not an organization that I can say I can be proud to work at. I'd rather do something more important for society than worry about if i will survive a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

No advice can be given because ears are not open.

"Declining prospects"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of Silicon valley companies that are growing and hiring haven't heard of RMS. Look at the cons section on why this is a pro. As a wise president once said, the sun always rises in the morning. Even if this company is going nowhere with a bunch of incompetent crooks. They did fire a bunch of them but have no path to success.

Cons

The company's reputation is so poor that many people who have heard of it associate you with being a low performer with bad ethics. So, it is great to interview with rapidly growing companies that haven't heard of this one. The egos of some of the people remind you that they are probably lacking in some other areas. Take a look at some of the people who have spent a lot of their career here in the model development group and you will see why they are there - nobody else would hire them at a comparable position or pay them a market salary.

Advice to Management

I'd like to offer you more money so that you can squander it. Unfortunately, I am paid too little to be able to do that.