Risk Management Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is pretty bad (in 8 reviews)

• Large iniative to roll out new flagship product RMS One, bombed in Apri 2014 (in 12 reviews)

"Light years away from innovation"

Former Employee - Analyst in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- free lunch once a week
    - gym on campus

Cons

Everything relies on outdated technology (everything is based on excel, no version control, no open source interest...) and the leaders are very happy with it. There is no push to improve this. If you want to be fluent in the in-house proprietary software, then it will be great. Otherwise, well, you're in the silicon valley, heart of technology innovation.

Advice to Management

Be at least open to taking risks and using technology that isn't 15 years old

"It's a lot better."

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a real feeling around that executives actually want to fix the problems in the organization, and I think the employees sense that. My managers in Engineering do seem to want to move to a more progressive software culture, and I think they do their best to fight the right battles to get us there. It's a lot less political than it used to be.

We are a long way from where we were three years ago and if you talk to some of the old timers who have been here for longer, they will tell you the same. It's been a hard battle to get to this point, and I think some recognition is deserved for those that pushed us in the right direction.

We are actually shipping software now so obviously it is working.

Cons

It is hard to break through other barriers in the company now to keep the train moving on the right tracks. The entire company needs to embrace the fact they are now a software company and they need to understand what those best practices look like. The battles that engineering has to fight shouldn't be this hard.

Advice to Management

Keep going after being a software company AND a modeling company. You are expecting a lot of revenue from the software we are building and in order to keep the good talent you have been able to bring in and continue to bring in more good talent, you need to keep pushing the needle on what a software culture should be.

"Politics heavy"

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

talented coworkers and good office environment

Cons

poor management and heavy politics

"Strugging Company"

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

The core models and IP at RMS are truly remarkable assets. The leadership justifiably points to the best modeling science in market. And the customer base is passionately loyal.

Cons

It is difficult to discern much discipline in management decision-making. Employees get whip-sawed around quite a bit. If you decide to join, be certain your project -- especially if it's in software -- won't be abandoned.

Advice to Management

Create a framework for management decision-making that takes fuller advantage of what your rank-and-file employees know.

5. "My experiance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Allot of well educated and intelligent people.

Cons

High turn around lately.

Advice to Management

Try to hold on to proactive stuff.

6. "Seems to be finding its way"

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

RMS has gone through a great deal of change over the past few years, but the stars really do seem to be aligning. They successfully released a new product last year and are on track to release a significant update later this year.

The new management team has done a great job of allowing autonomy and have brought in top-notch new talent.

Cons

Many independent areas of the company continue to try to do their own thing and not focus on a cohesive strategy.

Advice to Management

Invest in building from the core and not trying to do everything at once

"Reorganizations: The Saga Continues"

Current Employee - Good Question in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Good Question in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive hiring salaries for full time employees.

Ability to work in a variety of reporting structures with a single job description.

Cons

"In flux" does not describe what is happening. The company is shedding employees daily with no sign of stopping due to CONSTANT reorganizations. Discussions of stock options and "transparency" at all levels have led to a miopic executive vs rank-and-file attitude. This would be tolerable if the company weren't totally failing to staff properly and insisting that previously set deadlines be met by an ever decreasing "team first" workforce. Pep talks consist of how important we are as a company, while demonstrating how unimportant the hard core working units are by shuffling their bosses like a deck of cards.

Advice to Management

Please, please stop changing the goalposts while keeping the expected deadlines. Be honest with yourselves about the amount you are asking loyal teams to do. Stop talking about culture while letting your culture dissolve under waves of terminations. Culture is not bought or spoken. It is earned through years of trust.

"Risky to be in the Bussiness of Risk Management"

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

Many great hard-working intelligent people

Cons

A lot of politics and multi-level hierarchy structure

"Find something better"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch on Thursdays.

Commute.

You will be well trained in company politics at all levels. Which could very well be useful down the line in your own career.

Cons

Work life balance is pretty bad. I felt overworked and underpaid most of the time there.

You will be told "It's a big company that still wants to operate like a startup". Which basically means you will work like you are in a startup but you wont get any richer if the company succeeds. Though you will face the axe if the company fails.

There is always a ton of work to do so it makes it hard to take time out and look for other opportunities. Think twice about this before getting stuck in this quicksand.

Advice to Management

Work on building solid company culture. It feels like a bunch of school kids are running the show.

"Mixed Bag...."

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging Projects. Great Co-Workers. Great Potential. Good Benefits

Cons

C - Level demands more and more while maintaining a myopic focus on cost control.

Advice to Management

Continuing cutting cost for short-term profit margins will not lead to long-term success.