Risk Management Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Risk Management Solutions Reviews

Updated July 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, decent salaries, amazing work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• The company is filled with smart people who know both the product and the customers extremely well (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is pretty bad (in 8 reviews)

• Large iniative to roll out new flagship product RMS One, bombed in Apri 2014 (in 12 reviews)

"Principle Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent co-workers. Challenging technology.

Cons

Company has trouble shipping software. Still in the all or nothing model of software development. Feature creep means product never ship.

Advice to Management

Really understand what MVP (minimal Viable Product) means. Get something out that adds value, that current customers will use, and then elaborate and expand.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Modeler in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Modeler in Newark, CA

Pros

Scientific based research company with nice working environment.

Cons

Not paid as high as other bay area companies

"Two headed monster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Risk Management Solutions (More than 5 years)

Pros

Treat employees very well, willing to try new ideas, lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Felt like things were in constant flux, lots of change for the sake of change.

Advice to Management

Give more thought to the next direction the company makes.

"When you don't do things right, blame people!"

Former Employee - Technical Architect in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Architect in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have access to limited gym, free snacks, monthly bagel, fruits, and other breakfast, weekly lunch

Cons

With RMS(one) not doing so well, I guess it is time to start the blame game.

Advice to Management

You don't have to follow the crowd

"Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

Great office with gym in campus, monthly breakfast, weekly lunch, free snacks and drinks. Nice and smart people. Great work/life balance and standard compensation. 20 days of PTO.

Cons

Poor leadership with no accountability, politics, outdated technology, non-transparent and inconsistent communications.

Bombed the product launch and scrapped all the previous work thinking they can rebuild a minimal viable product in less than 2 years. Hired a CTO that is a founder of the consulting company RMS hired and allow him to use his own proprietary technology instead of using industry standard. Failed to deliver again! Top management knew this months ahead of deadline but decided to cover it up.

Advice to Management

Great vision but lacks the knowledge and expertise to carry it out. Learn from mistakes and listen to your employees. Hold yourself accountable for all the failures.

"Dazed and confused"

Former Employee - Architect in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Architect in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, easy commute, bright minds, free lunch on Thursdays, fast career advancement if you're well received, unafraid to make sweeping changes in strategy and focus

Cons

Politics, politics, politics. Work silos where business units battle each other rather than collaborating, incomprehensible strategy with very poor leadership and a refusal to acknowledge realities of their situation, leadership that's prone to chasing shiny things and buzzwords rather than real world goals, lack of focus on scope of their new product, failure to learn from past experience, playing favorites with promotions and hierarchy, too many presentations with little substance, downright refusal to effectively QA their own products until they're already in the field, dishonest with employees about strategy and goals

Advice to Management

Stop listening to snake oil salesmen. Anyone can throw together a presentation yapping about DEVOPS or Cloud and sound relevant, but that doesn't make them qualified to lead or define company strategy. Stop trying to boil the ocean. Smaller companies have designed bigger platforms in far less time. What does that tell you about your brain trust?

7. "Working through some bumps but optimistic about RMS(one)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

Been here for less than a year but am optimistic about the direction, given the immense talent in the company. The leadership group seems to be trying to get it right with the RMS(one) product, despite missed deadlines.

Cons

Some of the old timers are a little fixed in their ways about culture.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas that help create greater efficiencies.

"Company in Trouble"

Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great headquarters building with gym for employees. Up to date internal systems made it easy to find people and I loved being able to see a picture of a person before I went to meet them for the first time.

Cons

I felt I was lied to with what my job title and training were in relation to what I actually did. The job title of "Risk Analyst" should have been "Customer Service Agent". Also the company had a huge misfire on RMSone which caused me to think the company is in trouble. Now that I work for a client I can honestly say AIR is leaps and bounds ahead of RMS on the nextgen software. RiskLink is a slow lumbering dinosaur.

Advice to Management

Be straight with students when you hire them. Flashy words and fancy training programs are a great way to hook in applicants but the day to day work was not what I was expecting. Also, the salary was not enough to live on in California. Now that I work for a client and know what you charge for the software, you could have paid me more.

9. "Lots of opportunites"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Newark, CA

Pros

Travel to and from our international offices, work with exigent people; We practice science to serve real business needs

Cons

A lot of our work involves multiple offices in multiple time zones, therefore you often have work non-standard times to communicate with international colleagues

Advice to Management

More "Manage by walkabouts" would be helpful

"There Years ago I wrote a positive review but now..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very nice people although they are firing most of the best people

Cons

Very poor leadership. Missed deadlines. No appreciation for employees who have worked very hard and put the company above everything. Senior leaders don't realize that they were in the right place at the right time - they are not the gifted superheroes they think they are.

Advice to Management

Get a bit of humility and recognize and reward the achievements and commitment from employees.