Risk Management Solutions Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Risk Management Solutions Chief Executive Officer Hemant Shah
Hemant Shah

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is pretty bad (in 10 reviews)

• Large iniative to roll out new flagship product RMS One, bombed in Apri 2014 (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have recommended to a few friends to apply for a job at RMS because it is a great place to work.
    Leadership (at least in my org) is visionary and inspiring, always trying to think “big”, working on interesting challenges to make an impact in our industry. Innovation is at the heart of RMS and “failure” is not a tabu but part of the path to success.
    There is no rigid hierarchy which means that you have the opportunity to express your ideas, propose solutions and get visibility and appreciation for your work (even if you are “only” an engineer). This is unique!
    Opportunity to learn new things and develop new skills is enormous and there are lots of talented people around.
    Over the past years there has been a few changes (reorg, technology choices, people turnover, etc…) but the net result has been positive.

Cons

Flexibility is recommended to fully enjoy working at RMS (btw, that’s a great skill to have in life too!).

There is still room for improvements at RMS and that’s why young talents have opportunities to make an impact in their carrier.

If you are for repetitive tasks, no brain work, routine, etc… you should avoid working here.

Advice to Management

Always stay connected to the base org

2. "Data Science Intern"

Current Intern - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, nice people, new technologies in the tech department.

Cons

Not too techy. Not too exciting work.

Advice to Management

N/A

"It's a lot better."

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a real feeling around that executives actually want to fix the problems in the organization, and I think the employees sense that. My managers in Engineering do seem to want to move to a more progressive software culture, and I think they do their best to fight the right battles to get us there. It's a lot less political than it used to be.

We are a long way from where we were three years ago and if you talk to some of the old timers who have been here for longer, they will tell you the same. It's been a hard battle to get to this point, and I think some recognition is deserved for those that pushed us in the right direction.

We are actually shipping software now so obviously it is working.

Cons

It is hard to break through other barriers in the company now to keep the train moving on the right tracks. The entire company needs to embrace the fact they are now a software company and they need to understand what those best practices look like. The battles that engineering has to fight shouldn't be this hard.

Advice to Management

Keep going after being a software company AND a modeling company. You are expecting a lot of revenue from the software we are building and in order to keep the good talent you have been able to bring in and continue to bring in more good talent, you need to keep pushing the needle on what a software culture should be.

"Find something better"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch on Thursdays.

Commute.

You will be well trained in company politics at all levels. Which could very well be useful down the line in your own career.

Cons

Work life balance is pretty bad. I felt overworked and underpaid most of the time there.

You will be told "It's a big company that still wants to operate like a startup". Which basically means you will work like you are in a startup but you wont get any richer if the company succeeds. Though you will face the axe if the company fails.

There is always a ton of work to do so it makes it hard to take time out and look for other opportunities. Think twice about this before getting stuck in this quicksand.

Advice to Management

Work on building solid company culture. It feels like a bunch of school kids are running the show.

"Principle Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent co-workers. Challenging technology.

Cons

Company has trouble shipping software. Still in the all or nothing model of software development. Feature creep means product never ship.

Advice to Management

Really understand what MVP (minimal Viable Product) means. Get something out that adds value, that current customers will use, and then elaborate and expand.

"Company gone wrong"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries are very competitive. Good place to start out of college to gain some experience.

Cons

Company took a risk and failed. They are trying again, but in order not to fall on their face again, the company management avoids defining what is the new goal and timeline. Without that definition they will not fail, but success is almost impossible.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fremont, CA

Pros

The work was interesting. The product is also interesting

Cons

Management isolated from line staff. Management forgetting the core business to pursue "a second product" . Management full of hubris.

Advice to Management

My suggestions to Hemant. 1. Read Asktheheadhunter and fire the HR department. 2. Walk around the floor LISTEN to line staff both modelers and programmers. Build bridges between programming and model development.

"Smart people trying to solve difficult problems"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is good, and there have been improvements to work-life balance. Very smart people. There are opportunities to work in a more academic setting or business/client facing setting, depending on preference. The company is willing to let you find your interests and work with them.

Cons

There seems to be some mistrust between different organizations. While there is now a clear direction the company is headed, it took a long time to get that direction, and it is unclear if it's attainable.

"OK to work here"

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RMS has very good employee friendly policies and provides competitive salary also.

Cons

RMS management is not so good.

"They asked me to write a review then laid me off"

Former Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I don't work there anymore.
    - Flexible schedule since management doesn't know where you are or what you are doing.

Cons

- No interaction with management
    - Can't deliver a "next generation" product
    - Constantly changing priorities, technologies, vision, etc. (Ex. Identifying me as someone that might be willing to write a positive review on Glassdoor then laying me off)

Advice to Management

Executive Management should step aside and bring in someone that can develop and execute a vision for the company.