Risk Management Solutions "rms one" Reviews | Glassdoor

Risk Management Solutions Employee Reviews about "rms one"

Updated Nov 30, 2018

3.8
Risk Management Solutions Chief Executive Officer  Karen White
Karen White
Pros
  • "Very strong work culture, good work life balance apart from peak season(in 59 reviews)

• "There are a lot of positions open for smart people, and almost any experience will serve you well(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Large iniative to roll out new flagship product RMS One, bombed in Apri 2014(in 16 reviews)

• "There is some tension between the modeling group and the software group(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "rms one"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Reinvigorated with empowerment with new Executive Team"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- I have been with RMS for 3+ years and have seen the organization take significant changes- most notably within the past 6 months to hire an entirely new Executive Committee. - I learn (at least) one new thing a day. This company is stacked with the smartest in the industry and mostly everyone is happy to assist. - New Leadership team actually cares and shows support for business and professional development. - I have a great working relationship with my management and upper management. Great work/life balance.

Cons

- The biggest hurdle as a company is getting over the past. Everyone knows about the past leadership and past decisions (RMS(one), Version 11...), but given most of the team is completely new- we can not let the past hold us down. This is a new dawn.

Advice to Management

- Keep up the good work that you have began. The culture has noticeably changed since the new Executive Committee. It is evident that the team is trying to regain confidence and credibility with clients and internal workers.

Risk Management Solutions2018-11-30

"The CEO should look himself in the mirror!"

Cloud Ops Platform in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions for more than 3 years

Pros

If you need training in politics join RMS! They pay you while learning the art of survival

Cons

RMS has been meandering aimlessly for the past 4 years without making any dent into its aspirations to transform the insurance risk industry CEO has made several dumb decisions in scrapping RMS One cloud iteration in favor of new technology proposed by an equally dumber new CTO that they hired from Colorado The CEO should look himself in the mirror and focus on core modeling capabilities than dabble in Cloud Technology that he does not understand and nor the bevy of high paying developers on the rolls who have been toiling away for more than 3 years with no success Should look at outsourcing both the development and the Cloud Ops team and focus on modeling

Advice to Management

Stop throwing good money on dumb decisions!

Risk Management Solutions2016-10-30

"When you don't do things right, blame people!"

Former Employee - Technical Architect in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Have access to limited gym, free snacks, monthly bagel, fruits, and other breakfast, weekly lunch

Cons

With RMS(one) not doing so well, I guess it is time to start the blame game.

Advice to Management

You don't have to follow the crowd

Risk Management Solutions2015-12-31

"Risk Management Solutions Reviews"

GIS Engineer in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions

Pros

"Good colleague reationship, good work-life balance" (in 20 reviews) "Meritocratic organisation - smart people do well"

Cons

"Large iniative to roll out new flagship product RMS One, bombed in Apri 2014

Risk Management Solutions2015-08-26

"A company in struggle"

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

It's honestly hard to find some "Pros" in this particular moment of RMS' history. Senior Management has no clear view of the future, nonetheless, they still think the new platform will be ready in early/mid 2015 (or at least that's what they tell the other employees). I really have no idea how they can think to deliver a whole new platform in such a limited amount of time with no clear leadership. Meanwhile, the investors' meeting was awful and the 2015 RMS clients' conference is coming up... what are we going to tell clients this time?

Cons

There is no cohesion among different groups of the company (especially between the model development and the software development groups). Model dev is working towards the so-called "HD models" and doesn't even have a platform to start testing and calibrating them! At this point, I don't see how some HD models, such as Japan Typhoon, Euro Flood, New Zealand Earthquake and North America Earthquake, can even get out of the "house". My prediction is that RMS will have to release most of them (if not all) still on RiskLink rather than RMS(one). Lots of employees are either not motivated or not willing to work hard enough! I'm not sure what's the source of the problem in this case, all i can suggest is to remove those employees and hire better ones. Office is not the place where you spend time on youtube watching movies, not the place where you constantly monitor your personal email and stocks, nor the place where you play with your smartphone for hours. Managers should be more demanding. Another issue: HR seems to still be making fun of all the employees. An example? they recently sent out a letter to all the US employees stating that they are PLEASED to announce a mandatory week off at the end of the year. in other words, They are basically PLEASED to force all US-based employees to take 4 days of PTO. Why not using the right words?... We are sorry but we need to force you to take PTO so we can save some money. it's that simple! One last point: Salaries are not that great. Being the company HQ located in the bay area, most employees are forced to live in the sketchy east bay rather than the nicer areas (SF or peninsula).

Advice to Management

Be honest and transparent to your employees. Stop promoting people who don't deserve to be promoted! Hire qualified employees for the crucial senior positions managing platform and cloud operations, not people with bachelor degrees in chemistry or geography.

Risk Management Solutions2014-10-28

"Recent Lay offs"

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

Great Model built unique in the industry .Good campus , Free food , games.

Cons

Very bad planning , no proper recognition for hard work . They expected a lot from the employees for "RMS one " , insisted to be present in the office on all Saturdays with no exception for two long years , to answer calls in mid-night , all holidays and finally they let go really good & hard working people . Who ever chose the list went more by their personal likes & dislikes and not based on the individual skill set.

Advice to Management

Spend more time in defining the objective & more time in planning .

Risk Management Solutions2014-09-01
  7. "If you are going to work for a corporation this is a good one"

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

RMS has lots of kind, intelligent, people with a good work ethic. Working here offers an interesting vantage point into the insurance industry and lots of opportunities to learn and make connections. DMGT is a supportive owner, and the RMS leadership is enthusiastic and connected to the business.

Cons

RMS has stumbled recently regarding overly high expectations with the RMS(one) strategy. Although RMS plans to continue with the strategy, the plan is to refine scope, delay release, and adjust projected revenue accordingly. As a result layoffs occurred. It was very disappointing to see colleagues hired only to be let go a few months later. As well as long time very respected colleagues lost for political reasons.

Advice to Management

I am hopeful RMS will land on its feet. Already I see more cross departmental communication, and transparency. The new technology strategy is very promising. There are lots of talented people, we simply need to execute.

Risk Management Solutions2014-08-29

"Lack of Accountability from Senior Management"

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of learning to be had for someone who would like experience in the Insurance/Reinsurance Cat Modeling Business

Cons

Large iniative to roll out new flagship product RMS One, bombed in Apri 2014. Since then, the CEO has repeatedly said that he is ultimately responsible numerous times. Meanwhile, he has begun major layoffs. I witnessed, just today, at least 10 people in my off be walked out. The company can afford to pay for lunch every Wednesday, keep a fully stocked free snack bar, pay in for a company perks plan and the other numerous programs that wasteful spending is done on, and they can't afford to pay employees? They knew this was a problem in April, and yet continued to hire more people; including paid graduate interns. This company has proven its just like every other company. For all the lip service about valuing employees, at the end of the day, employees don't matter at all.

Advice to Management

Buck up and take responsibility for your mistakes. Hemant Shah should step down or be terminated for his complete and utter failure as a leader.

Risk Management Solutions2014-08-19

"Poor C-level leadership besides CFO"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was fun till operations started hiring to support new cloud initiative.

Cons

Product in the cloud will not work, poor choice in the future. Too much data, security issues and stability will be a problem for RMS one to work.

Advice to Management

Retire and ride off into the sunset.

Risk Management Solutions2014-08-21

"Layoffs !!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- lunch and snacks - free gym, and shuttle to bart station

Cons

- They laid off half of the organization (includes Software engineer, QA, HR, Product Management) - RMS (One) is failure and now they are trying to re-build it using open stack - They don't know what platform they wanna build - No vision - Hiring and firing company (some engineers were hired 6 months back and now they got laid off) - After laid off they only gives 6 days for H1b people to find a new job Advise: don't join this company ( they will try to give you more money and after some time you will get laid off or get fired) before joining this company please talk to some one who worked for RMS in past.

Advice to Management

Don't hire and fire

Risk Management Solutions2014-08-21