Ritz-Carlton Reviews in New Orleans, LA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ritz-Carlton President and COO Hervé Humler
Hervé Humler

Pros
Cons
  • Very little work / life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Long hours very strict, 0 tolerance (in 63 reviews)

1. "supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great salary and good training. Able to work in other department's to help more to higher position.

Cons

HR department not to good when having to write staff up.

Advice to Management

once you are there for 6 month you can move to other positions

2. "Great Company to work for!"

Former Employee - Club Concierge in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Club Concierge in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton (More than a year)

Pros

One of the highest paying company's in the hospitality industry, AMAZING training, looks great on your resume, endless opportunities to transfer within the company from state to state.

Cons

Guests can be a bit demanding! Uniforms are kind of ill fitted & ugly..

3. "Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best training I've ever received.

Cons

Extra long hours during busy season but no hours when its slow.

5. "Hospitality"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton full-time

Pros

Highest paid wage compared to other Marriot companies.Structured and organized departments.

Cons

Maintenance problems in back of house because of buildings age.Extremely challenging to move up into another position in house rather than within the whole Marriot.Orientation sets expectations very high which is great but some departments due to mostly the managers don't enforce the values to all employees in a department.

Advice to Management

Embrace change, enliven service values in employees and help strengthen the moral of your department by example and strong Leadership.

"Great company, but be careful!"

Former Employee - Front Office Supervisor in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Front Office Supervisor in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton (More than a year)

Pros

Working with great people, and being empowered to make decisions that in most places would require a fight with upper management. Free lunch, and employee parties here and there.

Cons

Upper-Management are very critical of employees especially their Supervisors and Managers. Line level employees typically have it "made in the shade." Behind closed door meetings with management could be overwhelming. Its hospitality, expect to work most nights and weekends and definitely get used to not having a life outside of work. Be careful, they abide strictly by the employee handbook. They will love you, but if you break 1 rule?? They will toss you overboard like you never mattered. I've seen it happen to their "Star" employees. I was one of them! i jumped ship before the purge. Management changes constantly.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your Supervisors and Manager like they don't matter. Better pay for the mangers shouldn't be a non-starter.

7. "Ritz Carlton New Orleans"

Current Employee - Pastry Cook in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Pastry Cook in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience and good starting pay for a cook in the city.

Cons

Not very good incentives for promotion, senior management does not value lower employees.

Advice to Management

Value your current employees.

"A Culture of: The Suits vs. The Uniformed Staff"

Former Employee - Lobby Concierge in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Lobby Concierge in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. I cannot speak highly enough about how well the Ritz-Carlton treated their employees post-Katrina. We were compensated for 6 weeks, we were offered benefits continuation for 12 months, we were offered jobs throughout the world, jobs for our family members displaced with us, housing for up to 2 months not just for us but our family members displaced with us, and up to $10,000 in financial relief for those that suffered devastating losses.

Cons

I loathed the fact that the entire management staff, save the sole Manager-On-Duty, would disappear on Friday and Saturday nights (often the busiest times at a French Quarter hotel) only to chastise you on Monday morning for how you handled the absolute insanity and chaos of the 3 prior days. Little did they know, it would often be just me and a single-desk agent holding down the Lobby while the MOD chased a prostitute and her pimp out of the hotel, a drunken guest threw up on the marble floor, a third guest began shouting that she'd seen a cockroach in the hallway (thankfully, she'd only seen the one cockroach and not the entire family of rats that also occupied her floor), while a celebrity on 14 demanded a new room because she didn't feel that the only junior executive suite in the building was up to snuff and she felt that we should offer her the Presidential Suite, for free (normally $5,000/night), because she'd been in a couple of movies and her husband was a well-known director. The management often brought a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Monday-morning quarterbacking."

Advice to Management

Management needed to step into reality. Yes, the customer is always right - except when they're not. Sometimes, as a manager, it is necessary to placate the customer while still showing loyalty and high esteem for your employees and co-workers. As a Lobby Concierge, I was once written up by the Rooms Director for telling a guest that it would be difficult if not impossible to secure a cab on the the Saturday night prior to Mardi Gras from Canal Street in the middle of a night parade especially when she only needed to travel 10 blocks across several sets of barricaded traffic and perhaps it would be best to plan on walking. I know that at the Ritz-Carlton they "move heaven and earth" to accommodate their guests but getting a cab on that night, not to mention criss-crossing the parade route in order to reach her destination would have literally required re-directing one of the largest Carnival parades of the year.

"Housekeeping Supervisor"

Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton (Less than a year)

Pros

The Ritz-Carlton is an amazing company to work for. They truly empower all of their employees and put their trust in you.

Cons

Like most hospitality jobs, you are working mainly weekends and a lot of holidays. Also, the pay is not quite what you might be looking for.

Advice to Management

Perhaps spend more time personally training. Also, if there was anyway to have more weekend or holiday time, I know that would go a long way.

10. "Good company, not great work/life ratio"

Current Employee - Meetings and Special Events Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Meetings and Special Events Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton (More than a year)

Pros

Well structured company. Great benefits and 401k matching. Great training programs. There is a lot of opportunity for growth within the company.

Cons

Long hours and working on weekends frequently. Moving heaven and earth for clients means a lot of work and many difficult clients.

Advice to Management

Work within the employees strengths, don't make everyone deal with clients the same way. Be consistent in rules that are enforced. Be aware of employees home life.

11. "Care Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and awesome co workers

Cons

Nothing bad to report. Everything was great