Ritz-Carlton Reviews | Glassdoor

Ritz-Carlton President and COO Hervé Humler
Hervé Humler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your own work life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Long hours but that is expected of a hotel (in 67 reviews)

"Working at The Ritz-Carlton is not what you think it is."

Former Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC

Pros

It's an iconic brand, professional environment, nice hotels in the US and exotic locations. The brand does a good job in creating an employment brand.

Cons

On the contrary, the creation of an employment brand is just that. They list all the reasons why you should work there. It's convincing and believable. However, what they don't tell you is that you will work 60 to 70 hours per week as a manager. They will squeeze every inch of productivity out of you until you burn out and quit or you burn out and underperform. You'll get fired as a result. The concept of Work Life/Balance means you can leave work early to pick up your kids. However, you will be working from home until 11p, 12pm, 1am because your boss is working during these hours hence you should be as well. Working long hours is one of many unspoken behaviours. No one dares to bring it up in person and in front of management. However, this issue comes up time and time again during the Employee Engagement Survey. Nothing happens to the feedback. Management does not act.

Advice to Management

The Employee Engagement Survey speaks volumes. Administering it and not acting on the feedback is a waste of time, resources and money.

"Keep It Moving"

Former Employee - Guest Services in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place looks great on a resume. I must say if you are into networking this is the place to be.

Cons

When it comes to hiring managers and GM will look outside for opportunities!

Advice to Management

Recognize your employees for the hardwork and dedication they contribute! COMPENSATE the employees fairly, better food in the cafeteria ( I would not feed that garbage to an animal), a descent holiday party to show thanks and hire with in!

"Be Prepared To Be Married To Your Job"

I have been working at Ritz-Carlton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of your money is made in cash tips, which you can easily hide from the IRS; They clean your uniforms and feed you well; Cheap rates at any Marriott brand hotel in the world (29 bucks and up per night).

Cons

Long, lousy hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays; Very demanding supervisors; Never knowing how much money you'll make in a given day-some days less than 50 bucks-some days over $300. Working at the Ritz, just like any other hotel/hospitality industry job sucks. Your best bet would be to only work there part time, and suck up the benefits while preparing yourself for a real career.

Advice to Management

No advice to management-They're just a bunch of slave drivers who only care about themselves.

"Horrible!! Bad Management.."

Former Employee - Esthetician in Coconut Grove, FL
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Coconut Grove, FL

I worked at Ritz-Carlton part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Ritz Carlton name looks good on your résumé. But that's about it.

Cons

Politics.. Bad food .. Poor Management

Advice to Management

Don't in live the employees in your corporate fights

"Slaves serving ladies and gentlemen."

Former Employee - Guest Services in Dana Point, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Dana Point, CA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks great on resume if you are in hospitality industry or customer service.
    Great tips if you are working hourly tip jobs.

Cons

No diversity (prefers caucasians)
    If you're good looking or pretty you got the job. Intelligence or degree does not matter as long as you look good and have good body.
    Poor.. I mean really poor management. Managers don't do anything but check female employees out and verbally harrase them.
    No work and personal life balance (married to your job)
    Scheduling sucks real bad. Have done back to back for a week.
    No support from management.
    Favortism
    Only promotes the people they hang at the bar with.
    Management and male employees degrade female employees and disrespects them.
    Guest treats associates like slaves.
    Does not live by the "credo" card.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like humans not robots.

"Eager, Ambitious, Well Educated... Door Attendant? (I was a Guest Relations Coordinator.)"

Former Employee - Guest Relations in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Guest Relations in Arlington, VA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The name looks good on a resume, and you do get a discount on rooms with Marriott, based on availability of course.

Cons

I was led to believe that my prior experience, as well as my enthusiasm would lead to a rewarding, fulfilling position with Ritz-Carlton. Unfortunately, "Guest Relations Coordinator" was a nice way of phrasing "lobby greeter with no potential for advancement". Ummm... standing in the lobby for four hours at a time is not what I spent $100,000 on a Bachelor's degree for. I applied for transfers to other positions a couple times, and watched while they hired people from outside the company rather than cross training me (an "employee of the month").

Advice to Management

Realize that "your department doesn't want to loose you" will ensure that the company will. I have since moved on to another luxury hotel company (their biggest competitor), and now earn twice what I made at the Ritz-Carlton, doing something I'd applied for with Ritz-Carlton, only to be told I couldn't do that because I didn't have any prior experience with it.

7. "Disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Mirage, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Mirage, CA

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hotel discounts. Job was close to home.

Cons

No support from management. Lack of integrity.

Advice to Management

Learn the California labor codes and abide by them.

"Warning!"

Pros

The only pros were the great co-workers and the benefits. Saying that you work for "the Ritz" people are impressed, but they do not know the truth about the place!

Cons

Warning to job seekers! The Ritz talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. Upper management always has their own agenda and if you do not fit into that you are doomed! You will not realize how you should really be treated as an employee until you leave! All I can say is Wow should have left a long time ago............

Advice to Management

Do not act like you actually live "the Ritz credo" because all of your employees know the truth. Treat people equitably and fairly. Walk The Walk! Stop the lies! Treat your employees with the respect they deserve!

"Administrative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, meals, and hotel discounts

Cons

bad management, hypocritical to their mission statement.

Advice to Management

HR should make upper level managers and guidance team Adhere to Mission Statement on how to treat their employees.

"The Ritz-Carlton"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Ritz-Carlton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly... there are no pros that I can think of.
    It's nice being able to stay at Marriott hotels for cheap... but the availability is extremely limited as well as the number of quality property accessible to Marriott employees on vacation.
    The company name carries a lot of weight but the majority of employees I worked with were nothing more than amateurs.
    All of the talent was on the way out the door when I arrived.
    Literally, on my first day on the job out of orientation, two of my superiors told that I should start looking for a new place to work. The people who told me this were the only people I ever grew to respect at the company and they quit or transferred long before I had the chance to do so.

Cons

Compensation far below industry standard.
    Terrible work/life balance.
    Company culture designed to brainwash employees.
    General lack of intelligence in upper level management.
    Severe retardation in middle level management.
    Crumbling brand image.