Riverbed Technology Engineering Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Riverbed Technology Chairman and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work/life balance is not super great (in 14 reviews)

• Like many companies of this size, there are some growing pains (in 25 reviews)

"Generally great employees but a lack of courage and leadership is slowly destroying this company."

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a long-time OPNET employee, when we were acquired in 2012 I was skeptical but optimistic. After a while I realized that my hopes would not come to fruition, although there are definitely some things to like about Riverbed:
    - Overall, the people are smart and dedicated. This applies to the company at large, but especially in Bethesda, where the OPNET work ethic still applies.
    - People are also kind and thoughtful. They want to do the right thing.
    - Management is willing to invest in training, which is generally of a high quality.
    - The facilities are excellent, especially in Bethesda (although the open office trend at the rest of the company is not a good one, despite what management might claim).
    - The benefits are generally quite good, especially the ESPP program and standard stock option distribution.
    - Engineering is generally left alone by other departments, which is usually a good thing.
    - The overall workplace environment is healthy - it is a progressive company that cares about its employees.

Cons

But here's the bad news: I want to make clear that I'm writing this not out of any sort of retribution - I left the company on generally good terms - rather, I want people that are considering joining Riverbed to get the full picture, which I think other reviews may not offer. I'm often mystified as to how Riverbed seems to achieve its high ratings as a company to work for - my only conclusion is that, like much at Riverbed, it's a triumph of marketing.

Some negatives:
    - There is really no leadership. Remote offices are left to their own devices. There is little-to-no coordination between development teams, even those that are co-located.
    - Communication is exceedingly poor. There are regular meetings to communicate some sort of message about what is coming up, but often this is blather from executives and extremely San Francisco (read: SteelHead) focused.
    - Management is generally reactive, not proactive. If you're happy, then they're happy to let you continue along whatever path you might be on. If you're unhappy, well, good luck getting anything to change.
    - Product management is scattershot at best. In many cases they have no idea what they're doing, content to guide product direction on anecdotal stories instead of actual data. Combine that with waterfall-like development approaches and you end up with products that are always playing catchup.
    - Riverbed advertises itself as a company where you can take the initiative, but it seems as if there's a small cadre of people in SF that really make the decisions without much input. Case in point: If you are a non-managerial engineer, your title is "Member of Technical Staff". Most find this ridiculous, but because some of the founders didn't like how hierarchical their former company felt, they decided that titles were unnecessary. Of course, they all have elevated titles.

Advice to Management

Start over. You are no longer a small company with one product that hit it big. You are a monolith that needs strength, leadership, and coordination. You need to create a culture of innovation and drive, which doesn't happen on its own. Revamp the marketing and product management organizations, and create a CTO office that actually has some teeth.

"Used to be a great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get to work with many talented individuals, and people are very willing to help others learn new technology, be a sounding board for ideas, and foster personal growth.

Cons

Since April 2015 (when the company was taken private), there doesn't seem to be any coherent vision for where the company is going and what the growth paths are.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Face the realities of the situation, where we are losing good people fast. Realize that the company doesn't really have a future without the very people that you disregard.

3. "Great place to work."

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love the engineering team at Riverbed. I find minimal politics, lot of fun interaction. Engineering team is really smart and engaged.

Cons

Some churn in executive team. Need to organically grow new products out of the company.

4. "Despite large growth, Engineering still works like a smaller company."

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed has acquired a number of companies over the last few years, and doubled its size a couple of times. Nonetheless, engineering (usually) manages to remain dynamic and react well to changes, as one would expect of a smaller company.

Cons

There are other effects of rapid growth which can be tough - feeling disconnected from newer divisions in the company, the leaders needing time to adapt and assimilate, making the company work as a contiguous unit. These are forgivable, as long as they improve over time.

5. "Enjoy working at Riverbed"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice work
    Good benefits
    Provide management training

Cons

None come to my mind

6. "Best company I've ever worked for."

Current Employee - Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time

Pros

Executive management cares about employees. Company works to offer best in class products and the highest quality possible. Engineers work as a team to accomplish goals. There is no figure pointing when something goes wrong but rather a postmortem as to how to improve the process.

Cons

There is a lot of work that we just can't do yet. I want to deliver everything that Product Management wants but there just aren't enough hours in the week to do it.

Advice to Management

Keep customer experience and product quality top priorities

7. "Very smart people"

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, really smart people and understanding management make it a great work environment

Cons

Work can sometimes be mundane.

Advice to Management

Make new stuff...

8. "Passion for technology"

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The folks that work in engineering are AMAZINGLY talented. Very bright, easy to work with and I have never had any issues working with them due to personality, language barriers, etc. My previous experience has been quite a doozy and Riverbed is a refreshing change. Our team is treated very similar to a start up, so we work at a very quick pace and sometimes the deadlines are daunting, yet I've seen growth in my knowledge and understanding of systems as a whole. In general, this place is EXCELLENT and I would recommend it to any of my friends/colleagues that are looking for a change.

Cons

Well.. It's treated like a start up, so it's a lot of work. But, you get compensated fairly and also have *some* breathing room, so that's nice.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing. It's working.. :)

9. "What a fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the honesty, professionalism and competence of everyone that I work with. The company size is great, opportunity for personal development significant and the management knows how to grow the company without compromise. I have recommended this company to friends, and will continue to do so.

Cons

I'd like the stock price to be higher, but who wouldn't? Seriously, there's very little that I'd want to change.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Ignore the analysts.