Riverbed Technology Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

Riverbed Technology Chairman and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work/life balance is not super great (in 14 reviews)

• Like many companies of this size, there are some growing pains (in 25 reviews)

"work with smart people in an collaborative environment in a growing company!"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As shown by successful acquisitions in past years, the management is forward looking. The company is evolving and growing with a cohesive story while capturing market opportunities. Working with a bunch of smart people in an open and collaborative environment is thoroughly challenging, stimulating and enjoyable.

Cons

hard to keep up hiring with growth - workload can be heavy at times

Advice to Management

twiki is great but doc database needs better cataloguing and search results as it continues to grow

2. "In my Top Two of best companies I've worked at in the last 16 years."

Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home flexibility, good manager relationships, lots of benefits, lots of non-work activities

Cons

Too much work packed into 8 hours, too much emphasis placed on meeting SLAs ("the sky is falling" approach).

Advice to Management

Either hire more people or ease up on these internal SLAs that make the job all-the-less rewarding. More offloading of non-technical cases need to be *re-assigned* to other departments (e.g.RMA, Renewals). Sometimes I feel like a machine myself, going through technical issues as fast as possible without coming up for air, all in the name of delivering customer satisfaction. The case load is high and leaves less time to spend absorbing what was learned or learning new features of the product. In order to meet case-taking expectations, there is hardly anytime left for KCS, which is being touted as the #1 priority ... but is it, really? Sometimes I wonder. "Can you take a case?" :-)

3. "If you're looking for a company where you can make a difference, this is the one."

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every day brings another exciting technical challenge. Management offers a multitude of opportunities for growth. Upper management is accessible to the common man and actually responds to feedback. The work environment is comfortable and the culture encourages a healthy balance between work and personal life.

Cons

There are no downsides to working here.

4. "Riverbed - a company with little bureuacracy and a respect for talented employees"

Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work at the Champaign, IL site, where we focus on QA. Riverbed has good benefits and sets a very high bar for employee hiring, and provides great benefits (medical/dental/vision/401k/ESPP) and a work environment with nice perks and a flexible management style, which definitely helps to ensure that we have a talented engineering pool.

Cons

Your individual contribution is expected to be high, and since we have a very high bar for engineers, some positions can often remain unfilled.

Advice to Management

Stronger marketing of the Steelhead product would be advisable. If I had known about and been able to see what the Steelhead can do for WAN optimization while I was a network engineer, I would have pushed my former company to buy it - but I had not heard of it!

5. "Fair Pay, they treat us like adults, very respectful environment"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely flexible: Can work in SF or Sunnyvale; They treat us like adults: Management trusts the workers to get their job done and lets them do just that; However, the managers pro-actively (weekly or monthly) have one-on-one private meetings with the workers to make sure they are informed, answer any questions or concerns, build rapport, have what they need to do their job, are satisfied with their job, and make sure any workplace issues get addressed promptly; It was actually a bit of culture shock to work in a place where the management is _not_ hovering over the workers and micro-managing them. Work-life balance is excellent. >50 hour weeks are the exception rather than the norm.

Cons

It's a moderately big, stable company. You can make enough money to support your family well, but you won't get rich in a few short years. If you want a high-risk start-up where you could make millions on stock and strike it rich, this isn't it.

Advice to Management

Pro-active training and guidance in the first two weeks to a month would help new employees be productive sooner and feel less frustrated. It seems like getting oriented and up to speed with where to find information and who to talk to takes a while, especially due to the dual engineering sites.

6. "Riverbed is a collaborative, supportive work environment. Employees are encouraged to thrive and challenge themselves."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Riverbed has an open work environment, which helps the employees feel that they are able to approach people with questions confidently. The environment is positive and supportive, with the end goal the same across the board.

Cons

None so far. Riverbed has far exceeded my expectations!

7. "Fast dynamic company"

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic company, Modern processes, Great people

Cons

relevance of technology in future

8. "Riverbed presents a good vision, executes successfully, and values its employees"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Executive management has a clear vision and executes it with smart finance, acquisitions, and communication
    * Product management is fairly good at providing reliable data
    * Acquisitions are given a lot of freedom to run their business the way they want. This gives the feel of a smaller more agile company.
    * Employees are valued: benefits are better than expected, and when they change, they generally get better. Coffee, soda, juice, milk, cereal, and snacks are free and always available. Specialized equipment requests are usually honored.
    * Healthy promotion from within

Cons

* IT wants to lock down developers to the point that it interferes with productivity. VPN is required on the local wifi. Hardware vendor has limited choices that aren't developer friendly. All communication must go through the system which is routed to an outside vendor to triage.
    * Development groups do not support each other very well. Certain groups (larger ones) do not have any motivation to respond to requests from other groups.

Advice to Management

Support your developers more:
    * Fend off the oppressive policies of IT.
    * Provide the best equipment. If a developer says "I know this sounds unreasonable, but I would like the top-of-the-line apple laptop with a thunderbolt display", don't say "Yup, that's unreasonable". Instead say "I can get you that, but you won't be able to upgrade as quickly as others in your group". That's a win-win situation.

9. "2013 Top Work Places"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed allows me to operate like an independent contractor in that I keep my own hours, manage my schedules so long as I meet the customer's requirements and perform at a high technical level. They stand behind my decisions and we collaborate internally very well. Medical coverage is over the top. Pay is GREAT! Incentives are always there to earn more.

Cons

I don't really have any. The products are second to none and have a great ROI. Management is very proactive and provides the tools I need to conduct my work. They check in routinely to ensure I am not being over worked and are interested in my wellbeing.

Advice to Management

You Guys ROCK!

10. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Senior Web Systems Architect in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Web Systems Architect in Portland, OR

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The WAN optimization technologies that Riverbed creates facilitates collaboration and maximizes employee productivity across worldwide locations. As a remote employee over the last 4 years, I've found the products have accelerated my efficiency, allowing me to do my job both effectively but quickly. In sum, the company enables individuals to grow both personally and professionally within a very modern/progressive corporate infrastructure - and provides tools to encourage success. This is the type of company I want to be associated with.

Cons

I can't think of any at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work